“Not disappointed...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rey Don Jaime Hotel

You added Rey Don Jaime Hotel to your Saves list
Rey Don Jaime Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gran Via Del Puig Major, 4, 07180 Santa Ponsa, Calvia, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Not disappointed...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Having read the reviews before we left for the airport I have to say I was more than apprehensive about our stay here. However I am pleased to say that we have just come home from a great week.
On arrival check in was friendly and quick, because we had to wait on the transfer coach for so long at the airport we were very late in arriving so had missed dinner, however we were told that there would be a cold meal available for us shortly and there was. A nice salad, with drinks and desert.
Our room was at the back of the hotel on the top floor, the view was nothing startling but this was not a problem for us and we liked the quietness in this part of the hotel. The room was spacious and very clean. Safety box key hired from reception, there was a fridge, but we did not pay the charge to rent and the TV had BBC1, BBC2, ITV & ITV2. We do not watch TV on holiday as a rule but, it was nice to catch the news when getting ready for dinner. There was a hairdryer in bathroom and we had maid service everyday, with fresh towels, beds were changed couple of times and were very comfortable.
The food was all good, I am a very fussy eater and never had a problem getting something the whole week. I have to agree that the food could have be warmer, but it was fresh and good choice. It was nice having the choice of "english" bacon at breakfast time as I am not a lover of spanish bacon. At lunchtime there was a good choice of hot and cold dishes in the dinning room or toasties, burgers & hot dogs by the pool. The evening buffet was plentiful. There was always 2 soups, a "special" served by the chef either roast meats or paella. Then 3 or 4 other dishes and a pasta dish. Plenty vegetables and vegetarian options, stuffed peppers, homemade tarts, pizza, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes and chips. Dessert was 6 or 7 choices and always the best custard I have ever had overseas! If all inclusive like us, beer, wine, soft drinks and water were served from the bar in the dinning room. We did not find the food to be all processed, dishes had obviously been made from scratch in the kitchen. I do agree with others that the dress code of some guests was unusual, especially for dinner.
We found the Thomson Reps to be very friendly and helpful and especially liked Cat and Liam's 5pm quiz was entertaining!
The pool area was spacious and clean, yes the sunbeds were very close to each other but at least there were plenty of them and more importantly plenty umbrellas for shade.
We did not sit inside for the evening entertainment, but did hear it from outside, bingo nightly and then an act. I personally feel that the entertainment started too late and it would have been good to have something going on from 9pm, the girl was very enthusiastic and very popular with the children. The bar staff were friendly and we never had a problem getting served. During the day coffee and tea all ready to help yourself and there was a water station available at all times.
The location was spot on, close to the beach and bus station for getting about further a field if that is what you are looking for.
We would return to this hotel again at the same time of year, I do not think it would be our choice in July, August but that is only becasue we do not like madly busy hotels.
All in all we had a grand time and would recommend to family and friends. If you are looking for 5* luxury or coming in off a cruise you are likely to be disappointed with some aspects, that is why it is rate 3* but I would give it 3*+. New owners seem to be listening as the reviews appear to be getting better, they deserve a chance to work on areas for improvement.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

My wife and I have been to the Rey for the last five years,This year as in the past two years, my daughter and son in law have been with us, They love the hotel. We were very apprehensive this year as the roomers were that the hotel had changed hands and also the fact that the manager Monica, Tom, Max & Rosh had all left,

Well let me [put your mind at ease< We have just returned from seven nights at the rey, with six other friends that we have met over the last five years and we cannot fault it, Yes there have been some changes, there are new owners but we think its for the better.

The staff where wonderful as ever, all the restaurant & bar staff have new uniforms and look very smart, they also have name badges and so instead of calling the signor or signora you may call them by the first names.

The food this year was some of the best we have ever had, and on one night we had fresh salmon, prawns, mussels, beef steak, steak & kidney pies and chicken, so i do not know where some of the previous reviews where mad from but they must have been in a different hotel to me.There were one couple who remarked last night that the beef was the best beef they had tasted in years.

Its true if you cruise and then stay at the rey the food is different, you are going from five star dinning to three star Spanish buffet.

Juan Rico is still the same lovable rouge chef that try,s to fill your plate , so that you have the best meal you have ever had.

He is the same as all the restaurant , bar and reception staff, They all are friendly and helpful, they always have a smile and greet you on every occasion. The same goes for all the rest of the staff including the cleaners they always say hello, The reception, bar and restaurant have been redecorated and the hotel is as clean as i we have ever seen it.

Entertainment wise, Yes there is no bingo bongo Which we all loved,But times change and Tom , Max and Rosh have moved on to better things, I hope they find what they are looking for and good luck to them all.

the new animation team is lacking in experience , but make up for it in enthusiasm, and they will learn just as max had to when he first started, so give them a chance, the acts who come in from out side are just as good as the previous years, the bingo is still running, as are the games around and in the pool.They are still played every day as usual, I wish to wish both Raffial and Teresa the best for the coming months, and see you both in September. great job last week.

The Thompson reps this year are very good. They run a champagne quiz at five o'clock, which we all looked forward to and the banter with Liam, from Belfast was great, so keep it up. cat was great with anything to do with Thompson. and Aiden was Aiden bubbly and bouncy. They run a non prize fun quiz all day , that realty keeps you brain going.

the new owners are going to make changes and we think they will be for the best. So we will be going back next year just to see.

Well to end the hotel is still as great as ever, the staff are as great as ever and Santa Ponsa is as beautiful as ever, So if you are thinking about booking this hotel, the stop thinking and book it, We have already booked for September and are counting the days till we go back.

The only down side we had this time was we had really bad flight times,and the pool view rooms are extra. But you are not in the room that long to worry about it.

Its elscorchio so you are outside most of the time.

I hope this review has been helpful to any new holiday maker who is thinking of booking the rey, or to any returning holiday maker that may have doubts. we think that even with out the changes that have been made so far the Rey has changed for the better.

Hope you have a great holiday,

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same, but the ones on the front have a better veiw.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Been here 3 years on the run now. I've always loved my time at the hotel, the entertainment made it for me every year. This year it was a bit different, the male entertainer in my eyes was very rude! I tried joining in the games and I just couldn't because his attitude was really not good. The bingo at night was boring and if we asked him a question or couldn't hear him he would about shut up which in my eyes isn't what he should be shouting. The women animation was fantastic with the children, of what I saw they all loved her. She had a lot of enthusiasm and was always smiling. The Thompson reps where just a credit to the hotel, always so happy and helpful and there seem to be atleast one rep around at all times to help us. It was also nice to see them a lot more involved. Food was brilliant as always and it's a good hotel with great staff! Hope this helps everyone :)

Stayed June 2014
Dorchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Where does one start? Reception; impressive reception entrance, swiftly booked in. This was a second week following island cruise ( which was fab - couldn't fault!). Room, clean, towels - threadbare beds - no mattress protector, sheets thin never stayed in place, woke up several time a night trying to put sheet over mattress!!

Food - well let's put it this way, I wouldn't give to my dog! Slop on a plate, it was a case of trying to make a meal, Yorkshire pudding with no beef or roast potatoes, when beef was on more like leather - personally I would of like some 'Spanish food'. Perhaps we were spoilt on the cruise. My husband and I had booked a cruise with a stay after at this hotel to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary ... Now I know you will be reading this and say we our fussy - not at all, we met a couple on the cruise concerned about this hotel and food reviews, the hotel has been taken over 2013 reviews were brill hence we booked, we struggled to make a meal, and did eat out on several occasions. We spent 3 days trying to get out of this hotel, being half term we were only offered another hotel costing a further £700, bearing in mind we had already paid out £2200 and £300 on cruise trips to Thomson holidays!
All I can say if you want a chill out holiday with good (hot even) food do not go here, if you are booked try and change! Snacks, well if you like burger and chips and burger and chips you'll be okay! (I have to say the people tucking in were and obviously singing praises about the food bluntly were obese!)
The rep suggested as the room was ok to hire a car and use as a base - which we did, but hey this was suppose to be 'All inclusive'! Relaxing week - not!
Disappointed customer - would never go back (see web - Handpicked and returning customers!)

Room Tip: If you're booked and enjoy real food (not burgers and chips) try and change! The pool area is li...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
merseyside
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

Food good,location fantastic second year at the Rey Don Jamie Thomson Reps all great Liam,lee,Aidan but my favorite was KAT go KAT.Kat was a really nice person and took time out.Thomson Reps do a good job going above and beyond.Rooms reasonable very clean,cleaners work very hard although if you try and get to the pool earlier they will take you out.;-) I say that in fun.
They do a good job.Pool area clean entertainment team work hard but need to work on there relationship as that work independently.(there no i in team) both Clarissa and Rafael are really lovely people and gifted in different areas thank you for a lovely time !! Lots of lovely Gordie's and Scotish you Know who you are (Gary/Andrea/Sharon and the Scotish Clan Derek & Lynsey and Co Fred & Yvonne x

• Stayed May 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

This was our second year at the Rey Don Jaime. Before we even got to the hotel we had heard about the animation team being changed, so we was all a bit on edge as the previous animation team was spectacular (Max and Rosh) so we didn't know what to expect. There is a new animation team from 'viva hotels' the company is called... There's a girl called Charissa who works mostly with the kids club, I've been to a lot of hotels and country's and Charissa has been the best animation I have ever had (which takes a lot) she's easy to talk to, she can interact with adults and the child... Which she's absolutely fantastic with the children! She also was fab with the adults, went out a couple of times with her, had a laugh through out my days with her, and now I can call her a friend! On the opposite side there is a man called Rafael who is also animation, he works mostly with the adults. He is unorganised at times and doesn't have a clue what he's doing. It seems to be Charissa picking up the pieces when he's meant to be in charge. He's a nice person and is getting a but better with confidence. The food there is fab and all staff are always welcoming! Fab 10 days and I'll be back!

• Stayed May 2014
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Went with 2friends, had a lovely relaxing holiday. Easy access to beach and shops bars etc. Hotel staff were great, very helpful and obliging. Desk staff very helpful, one in my estimation exceptional, nothing too much trouble for him,,I had booked single accommodation but found it for lack of better word not spacious enough for me, but Abdel was on duty my first morning, on enquiring about upgrade this lovely gentleman "said have breakfast then come back to see me",on return he had arranged a room on same level as my friends, this act alone meant a lot to me, and really helped make my stay memorable. Food excellent friendly staff, rooms cleaned daily, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay & would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms to rear of hotel get early morning sun,7am sitting on balcony in sunshine. Also quieter as awa...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Rey Don Jaime Hotel? Share your experiences!