“Our annual holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rey Don Jaime Hotel

Hotelsclick.com Otel.com
Rey Don Jaime Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gran Via Del Puig Major, 4, 07180 Santa Ponsa, Calvia, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #11 of 35 hotels in Santa Ponsa
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Our annual holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have stayed at most hotels in Santa Ponsa ,and like the area very much.The Rey Don Jaime was as good as you can expect from 3stars.The food was plentiful ,although some was cooked to death ,we would have been hard pushed to starve !!! The chef on the carvery was hilarious and insisted on us having a plateful of meat at every sitting .He said the English dont eat enough meat.The rooms are basic but kepy very clean ,why do people moan about the T.V ? We never had ours on at all during our stay.The entertainment was winding down but we had some enjoyable shows and bingo bongo was always a giggle ,and i won 200 euros so i was happy.The entertainment staff were brill especially Max he never forgot the names of the handicapped girl we had with us and she totally fell in love with him .All in all a very enjoyable holiday .

Room Tip: If you are not satisfied with the room ask for another one
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

815 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Southport
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Have to start by saying we were moved here, with only 2 days notice,from a more expensive and superior quality, adults only hotel. Thanks Direct Holidays/Thomas Cook for pocketing the price difference then refusing any compensation whatsoever. After a struggle, eventually managed to wring out the minimum sum from them stipulated in their own Terms & Conditions for a "major change". ABTA have made no attempt to mediate in this, they seem to serve only the travel companies not the customer. Oh and you can't email ABTA so it will cost you a minimum 51 pence per minute to ring them.

Despite this, here is a genuinely objective view of Rey Don Jaime. Good location, close to shops etc and just a few hundred yards from a nice, clean wide beach with sunbeds and umbrellas for 13 Euros a day. Across the road from the hotel is what appears to be a sewage storage/treatment plant giving off pretty bad smell at various times of day and night.
Hotel reception area is modern and attractive, staff fairly helpful and friendly until you want to complain about anything. Before getting to room, had paid 20 Euros for WiFi (variable reception), 21 Eu + deposit for safe, 21 Eu for fridge and 10 Eu deposit for TV remote; lucky we didn't want kettle too, even that was 10 Eu! Asked about pool towels but they don't provide, even for a charge, many other guests had to go and buy some.
Rooms are small, shabby and poorly furnished, no real drawer space and a wardrobe too narrow to accommodate the hangers, let alone clothes. "View" from our room was straight into another apartment block about 20 metres away. Bathroom a bit tatty, very small, threadbare towels, no tissues or clothes line, the most basic of toiletries which are not replenished even on request. Maids pleasant enough but actual cleaning obviously not their strong point.
Facilities - decent outdoor pool with enough sunbeds (for June anyway) but short of umbrellas, bit of a morning race for them, indoor "pool" more of a large bathtub really. Good indoor bar area and large covered outdoor seating and tables but bar (self) service a bit stretched and, like others, definitely felt All- inc clients were a bit second-class. Bit surprised to find no locks on cubicle doors of public toilets, both poolside and indoors and cleaners evidently preferred to give these a miss.
Food - outside lunch of baguettes, burgers, hot dogs and chips ok - the flies seemed to enjoy it especially. Restaurant meals pretty ropey, only warm at best, difficult to tell what some dishes were, not much choice really. We're not snobby but dress code was supposed to be long trousers for men and no swimwear - totally ignored by all staff - bare feet, vests, baseball caps and, God forbid, even Speedos seemed OK! Not a good experience.
This is not a bad place if you're paying really cheap and cheerful, budget prices especially for young families but we weren't and were surprised to learn how many others had been moved here from other hotels. I know the star rating system is based on a range of factors but I really think this is struggling to make it to 3-star overall. They say you get what you pay for, but we didn't - thanks again Direct Holidays.

Room Tip: Choose different hotel!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
middlesbrough
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Went back to this hotel for the fifth time,only because I got a good deal(wish I had'nt)
Start with the room,towels getting more like net curtains every year,thin and full of holes,got to be as old as the hotel.Room in desperate need of decorating and the cleaners only clean where you can see,on the second day of our stay my wife dropped something in the bathroom and bent down to pick it up,when she noticed human excrement under the toilet bowl which has obviously been put there by previous guests or pigs,we could'nt get out fast enough.
More than half of the daytime activities advertised on their website don't exist .the food is the same week after week and only warm.
On our last day the water went off at 5pm and did not come back on till about 8pm,so the majority of us could not wash or shower and no toilet flush.Us and many,many other guests complained,some were told to pray for rain or there is a pool round the back,there was no announcement or apology of any kind.
When I returned home I complained to my holiday provider,who contacted the hotel for answers.The hotel called me a liar saying I had already left the hotel at noon that day when in fact I checked out at 7am next morning.
Take MAX,the entertainer leader away from this hotel and it is nothing.
We where planning a re union in June of the friends we met(about 14 of us in all) but I am sorry to say it won't be at this hotel.
Got to find a better hotel in Santa ponsa because the area is so nice with plenty to do and see.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We travelled here in 2011, myself, husband, 2 young children and my father. We thought the hotel was beautiful on first arrival, and further was impressed by the room, pool, childrens clubs, choice of food. Everything was perfect. My father had a major stroke 6 days into the holiday, and never have I been so thankful to the most wonderful, kind Manger Monica. She was a god send. As were all her staff, who obviously have so much respect for this wonderful lady. She made a terrible situation, that bit easier - from taking us and collecting us from the hospital, finding us closer accommodation closer to my to my father, babysat our children in her own time, and also ran us around, whilst she had her own baby daughter in tow. This lady, made the hotel. She did not have to do this for us - but you can tell her care and love for the hotel reflects throughout. I hope I get to meet Monica again to thank her in person what she has done for us. I would have recommended this hotel anyway, as we were having a brilliant holiday before my father got ill, but even more so now. Clean, fun and a perfect destination for your holiday.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Had a fantastic time at the "Rey". Room was a little bit disappointing beds a little uncomfortable but I did not pay for luxury so did not expect it, my partner and I both slept while we were there apart from one night when the rather amorous couple next door kept us awake till 4am so I can understand why some people complain the walls are thin!!!! Restaurant, bar, cleaning and hotel staff were all very pleasant and helpful when required all polite and always gave us service with a smile. Rush, Max and Tom although it was near the end of the season never seemed to run out of energy and kept us smiling every time we saw them. So well done to all at the "Rey" 10 out of 10 for the staff 8 out of 10 for the rooms and 10 out of 10 for the people we met while we were there thank you all.

Stayed September 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the rey for a week me, my partner and 7 yr old son and can honestly say it was the best holiday i had ever been on good location,fantastic staff and absolutely loads going on in the hotel. I was a bit apprehensive when booking as it wasn't rated highly an had mixed reviews but on staying i can honestly say it was wonderful! My 7 yr old loved it playing the pool games and family activities and monster club with the lovely rosh and co along with the Majorca monster mini disco for him he got involved whole heartedly. Rooms were clean and sufficient although AC could've been not stronger, rooms were fine. Food was also good plenty of choice and endless supply we went all inc and it was well worth the money, however the 1 downside to the holiday was booking a trip with the thomsons rep "cat" a very obnoxious an rude young lady who sold us a trip to see the dolphins and after taking nearly £70 for the trip failed to add that there was no return travel included and we only found this out upon leaving the park she then proceeded to avoid us for our final few days. Very disappointing and was informed she was rude to other guests also. Not to dwell on the bad overall the holiday was a 9/10 an we will be returning. To sum up amazing holiday, great staff mainly rosh and max and co an other guests were also very warm and friendly. If your thinking about booking i say go for it you won't regret it.

• Stayed July 2012
Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

From the moment we arrived the staff couldn't do enough to help.
We had one issue when we arrived, and that was that our balcony door didn't seem to lock correctly, so we mentioned it to reception on the way to dinner & it was fixed by the time we got back!
There's games during the day, entertainment at night. If u go for one thing & one thing only, go to see max shake his balls!
I'm a fussy eater/ dairy intolerant but I always found something to eat (although I did get a little addicted to jelly)
The staff are really friendly & the atmosphere in the hotel was amazing. I will definitely go again :-)

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Rey Don Jaime Hotel? Share your experiences!