“staff/restaurant” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 70 Specialty Lodging in Salou
manchester
“staff/restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

i have never seen a more miserable restaurant staff in all my life, they even stood by and watched you having to clear your own table, and when the apartments got near to closing at the end of season, they couldn,t be bothered even puting salt and pepper on the tables, when you went for breakfast they sat down to theirs, unbeleivable, the rest of the apartment staff were great,from reception to cleaners.also california apartments could not be more central to shops old town harbour, great, again pity about restaurant, too laid back no manager was there at breakfast, even at evening meal he seemed to stay out of it, but enjoyed apartments that was the main thing, and yes i would go back.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the square
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
moscow, russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

lovely hotel. lovely staff. we did not expect such a relaxing holiday.
very good food, very nice and funny people everywhere.
Restaurant - we do remember Russian Lyuda and the manager of the hall, a very well-worked Spanish. excellent reception - no hassle. all that is needed - is. it would be good to add wi-fi - it's too lazy sometimes to go to another building "California" or to the beach, where it is quite slow.
We were there from 21.09 to 03.10.2012. Andrey and Lida.
P.S. been looking for a while for a site to leave a review - we have not found the opportunity to thank on the hotel website,

Room Tip: Choose rooms facing the courtyard. выбирайте номера с видом во двор.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Derry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

ok, I have just arrived home, and i want to ensure this is balanced (without writing a novel). When i booked the holiday through directline holidays on the phone, at no stage was i told this apartment did not have a pool (infact i was asked whether i would prefer to request a pool or sea view from the balcony! and i know this is not the fault of the apartments). We did get a balcony with a view of a noisey road and a carpark, which never seen any sunlight at all.
I am sorry i did not read the reviews in full before i went, the lack of pool was a major let down for us. Yes, you can go across the road, where its very busy, and maybe if you're lucky you'll get a broken lounger, but the stress was not worth it after trying it twice we steered clear.
We did not encounter any staff in the hotel who spoke english, this made basic enquiries and requests a nightmare, so again just avoided it all together.
The apartments were cleaned daily, which was great, and they were clean, but perhaps it was due to location of our apartment we could hear the cleaners from early in the morning, in harmony with the noise outside, and the road. The food was fine, enough choice, and we always found something to eat. We would not stay there again. If the pool is not a major issue for you, and you plan to stay out of the apartment all day, then perhaps it would be fine for you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I dont usually write reviews as I'm not usually easily pleased but not a moaner either. I just wanted to write this as I was apprehensive about going as I'd read so many bad reviews.

We booked this as a budget holiday, we usually go further afield and always stay in 4* plus but we wanted a bargain as we now have a baby and I am a full time mum so couldnt afford anything luxurious.

After entering the hotel and the appartment, I was pleasantly surprised. The reception and room was a little old fashioned but it was clean which was the main thing. The room was fine with a safe, spacious balcony, roomy living room and 2 bedrooms. We had only booked a one bedroom appartment but because we had the baby they put us in a 2 bedroom.

As soon as we arrived it was the babys bedtime, they sent the chambermaid up with a cot for the baby immediately. The first night, our shower leaked, this was 9pm and they sent the maintenance man to check it over and a cleaner to mop up the water, you cant ask for anymore than that.

The food was ok, not excellent quality but definately edible. I'm a very fussy eater and I dont eat meat but I still managed to eat a good meal every night. Breakfast was everything from cold meat and cheese to cooked breakfast to pastries.

From other reviews, I was expecting it to be a party hotel with loud music and groups of young people but it wasnt at all. There was more middle aged people and families there. I saw one group of young lads and they looked very much out of place there.

The location was perfect, 5 minutes walk from the beach and promenade. Supermarket opposite the apparments which must stock the same amount as a local Tesco, they had everything there! The hotel was 2 minutes across the road where we could use the pool and entertainment.

The staff were polite and helpful. The baby would sleep at 10 so I asked them to come after 12 every day and this wasnt a problem.The rooms were cleaned every day, fresh towels everyday (I was more than willing to use them twice) clean sheets everyday, again couldnt of asked for any better.

Our room was right by the lifts and stairs and the whole block is open so you can hear people walking up the stairs then through the corridors to their rooms. Some people are so inconsiderate coming in at 1am and slamming doors and shouting. The first night I couldnt get to sleep for 2 hours but thankfully it didnt wake the baby. The rest of the week, I got used to it and slept fine. If youre a light sleeper or love your sleep, take earplugs.I'm sure if it was a major issue they would be more than happy to move you.

I chose to stay in an appartment so I had everything I needed for the baby, eg, microwave, kettle etc. Just a few points to bear in mind if youre staying here (ecspecially with a baby):

There was no microwave or kettle (to sterilse bottles, warm milk etc)
We had to pay £20 to use the safe.
The rooms were quite loud, if youre a light sleeper, take ear plugs.
Dinner was 7.30pm which I thought was quite late as our baby usually goest to bed at 7pm.
The water in the taps is BOILING!! I burnt my hand a few times, be careful with children.

With our 1 year old son, we wento to Aqaupolis and Portaventura and had a fantastic week.

All in all, for a budget holiday and for the price we paid I was very pleased and would stay here again.

Hope you enjoy your holiday!

Room Tip: I'd ask for a quiet room, away from the lifts and stairs
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

we stayed at the california appartment half board for a week, appartment was very roomy, very clean 40 ft balcony, food was very good plenty of choice, staff were very friendly and helpfull, area was great , near to the shops,bars,beech. would recommend and would stay there again

Room Tip: end appartments have the big balconys
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

we booked california apartments last minute and for what we paid we were overall happy, yes the room was a little dated but was very clean and the cleaners came in every day, all the staff was friendly and polite, we were half board and the food was very good, and a good choice, something for everyone. location is nearly perfect. if you have booked this hotel and are happy with what you paid then you should be very happy, i love to moan but i cant really fault this hotel for the price

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
north east
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I stayed at the california apartments in september 2011 for 7 nights arrived mid morning with no problems the apartments did look tired and shabby from outside when we got our key and went to our apartment I was rather disgusted it looked very much like a bedsit the so call sofabed was covered in stains and the kitchen very. Tired and it smelled of damp it. Didn't get any. Better when in the food dining room my husband is in remission from cancer and has diabetes so he went to take bottle of water into the dining room not knowing that you were not allowed the staff saw us coming and ran over to the table and snatched the glasses away and started muttering something in spanish so I went and bought a bottle of water 2euros and went and got 2 glasses then the lady waiter and man waiter stood over us talking to each other in spanish not knowing that I can. Understand spanish and knew what they were saying I just ignored them and this happened agin the following day at breakfast and dinner in the end I complained to apartments staff and said I was not eating here as the staff are very rude and have no manners what so ever in the end I was giving a pass to eat the rest of my meals at california gartdens hotel across the road .

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Apartments California? Share your experiences!