“Pretty decent - you get what you pay for” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villamarina Club

You added Hotel Villamarina Club to your Saves list
Hotel Villamarina Club
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carre Ciutat De Reus, 42, 43840 Salou, Spain (Formerly Hotel Villa Marina Club)   |
Ranked #12 of 98 Hotels in Salou
Chester, United Kingdom
“Pretty decent - you get what you pay for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I'll start by saying pretty much every review on here is spot on one way or another. It's definitely a 3 star hotel although the adult only roof top terrace is 5 star and it's been mentioned plenty of times about Winston - he is a gem that keeps everyone happy but to be fair all he has to do is laugh and smile with his sidekick that fill the jacuzzis! The food is good but if you're expecting local food then don't bother because it's very British based (still good though and no complaints especially the breakfasts). It is a fair walk down to the beach but it's a nice walk especially when it's hot. The room itself is very basic but it was cleaned perfectly every day. The air con worked brilliantly and we soon discovered that at night we'd have to switch it off completely because it was that efficient. The shower was as good as I have at home and in fact I'd say it's the best shower I've had anywhere that I've been. The evening entertainment is bingo and an act which was a tribute act which were always good. They did have a parrot act which started off entertaining but soon made me feel uncomfortable because of the semi cruel way they get treated. It'd probably be brilliant in the 1960's but times change. The entertainment team made us smile and giggle every day with their silly banter between each other! The kids that are there obviously think the world of the entertainment team and it's a credit to them. The only downside of the hotel are the drinks. People have said that they're watered down but I don't think they are. I had a look at the bottles and the spirits are 30% instead of 40% like we're used to. The apple juice, pineapple juice and orange juice are cordials and are often way too strong to drink without feeling like your teeth are going to drop out! Overall, it is what you make of it. Is 99% full of Brits so join in!

• Stayed August 2013
VillaMarinaSalou, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Villamarina Club, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thanks for the positive review. We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that you will return sometime in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Firstly I'll say that we paid signifiantly less than those who booked directly with holiday brokers. we booked directly with the hotel and ryan air. if you book over 7 nights, the hotel pay for transfers from reus aiport. The whole process was very easy. With that in mind any shortcomings of this hotel were significantly offset by the price we paid.

Cleanliness

It's spotlessly clean. rooms, public areas, around the pool etc. There is always someone cleaning something ! The only issue was the one pool, I couldn't work out if it was slighty dirty or heavily chlorinated, as you couldn't see the bottom. Either way it did not distract from its use.

very good, thre is a varied selection, from mussels to roast dinners, to lasagne etc.. It was always hot and there was very little queuing even at peak time. Having read other reviews I can't understand any complaints with regards to the food. I spoke with several families during our stay and we all agreed how good the food was. Breakfast was full English. Nice bacon and sausage.

Drinks

served in plastic glasses and you are limited to 2 alcoholic drinks and 2 soft drinks per person, ques were short so this was never an issue. Slush puppies for the children were 1 euro each. A tad annoying.

Staff

Excellent. Friendly. Great with children and sufficient in numbers. From cleaners to bar staff to reception. Ques were minimised due to this.

Facilities

The pools are on the smallish side and the sun loungers are perhaps limited in number. The one pool does not see the sun until around midday, however having said this, it's a real picky point and isn't a reason not to choose this hotel. Even if you are a sun worshiper.
The adult only roof terrace was excellent. Good loungers nice hot tubs. Sun all day.

Rooms

Our room was great, spacious, v good air conditioning and the room made and cleaned daily. The balcony view was awful, however at this price you can't have everything. There are smaller rooms at this hotel which some people took issue with, however I've stayed in smaller at dearer hotels.

The rooms are quite modern, however had Poor wardrobe space, and a small bath. The shower though, was great and there was never a lack of hot water.

Location

Salou is an excellent town for children. The beach is @ 1 km away, quite shallow with little waves. it is a nice walk or the hotel provides a free minibus. There are lots of shops and evening street entertainment. Very busy, not British which was great !

Overall I was impressed with this hotel. I am going to return in June next year for a week. It is a very good 3 star hotel. The people staying there are friendly. True it is predominantly British ,however there was no drunken rowdiness etc. Having met some people who payed a lot more, I can perhaps see why some might have rated it lower. Having paid 4/ 5 star prices, however that is not the hotels fault, after all you can book direct.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
VillaMarinaSalou, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Villamarina Club, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive review. We are sure that other travellers will benefit from your review. We do offer great value All Inclusive holidays. We look forward to your return next year and thank you for your repeat business.
Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Me and my husband, son, daughter in law and grandson stayed at the Villamarina Club in May 2013. It was all inclusive, fabulous food at every meal, The rooms were basic, but that suited us. The surrounding area Salou is a beautiful place, down at the beach on a Friday or Saturday night they have a light display, this must be seen, it's amazing.

Room Tip: The second building away from the main building with the reception area, is much quieter and ideal f...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for the positive review. It helps us maintain our place in the top ten hotels in Salou where we have been since we started on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that you will return soon!
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

OK -start with the good

The staff were actually very good, and any problem was not a problem for them
The food - although decidedly English was also of a very high quality
Value for money - Around £50 per person per night, for what you got was very good value
Salou is a great resort

Now the not so good

Rooms were basic, and came with a distinctive "smell"
If you had fewer than 5 tattoos - or had never appeared on Jeremy Kyle, you felt out of place
Why can staff not allow the public tv on very low after midnight, but were happy for drunks to be in the pool and singing through the night

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
VillaMarinaSalou, Manager at Hotel Villamarina Club, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, firstly I would like to thank you for your positive comments with regards to the staff as they do work very hard to ensure everyone has a good stay here with us.
The Villamarina is a 3* all inclusive 100% to the UK and Ireland market therefore the entertainment and food is marketed towards this, glad you found this to be of a high quality. And good value for money.
The hotel tries to ensure we are offering value for money all inclusive family holidays.
Everyone has the right to a holiday no matter what background they are from, and cannot always believe that someone with tattoos is not someone that you may find have lots in common with. Many guests who we speak to within the hotel are just like anyone else who have worked hard for their holiday. Apologies you felt uncomfortable with the clientele within the hotel. There is a strong saying which I firmly agree with is “never judge a book by its cover”
The hotel does not accept guest to be in the pool in an evening and I am sure if this occurred security would have addressed the situation straight away, apologies if this caused you any upset, this will be addressed with the head of security
The hotel operates a very hands on approach with management constantly walking around the hotel including myself speaking with guests, I am sure if you had of brought some of your concerns to my attention we could have looked at what we could have done to make your stay more comfortable.
Thank you once again for your feedback it is much appreciated
Regards
Lindsey Manageress
Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We went for a week in August and overall this hotel was quite good. Our party consisted of two adults and three teenagers

The rooms

Small, basic ok for two people but no more than that.
Towels changed daily, cat lick clean daily , attention to detail not great but not too scary.
We have one of the"bigger balconies" it was small but some were very, very small

Basic but quite a bit of choice
The dining room was always very full. A bit too hectic for us.

Entertainment was typical, I don't normally play bingo but thought ok give it a go as we are here, that was a mistake, it was dragged out to the point of annoyance.

Pools - there are two pools at the front which was a bit weird but that was not the real problem- the pools were cloudy and could have done with a back wash and they were very overcrowded to the point we only got in once in a week. Poolside was dirty and the sun beds were very grubby, we were defiantly not putting our towels on them.

Staff - the staff were lovely especially the receptionists.

Overall this was an average hotel in Salou, if you have a young family it is great value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the ground floor,
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We booked a last minute holiday here and were really positive about it because of all of the positive reviews regarding the hotel. We had an apartment - these apartments are not only not on site, they are two streets away, with no facilities at all, meaning you don't get to enjoy the all inclusive facilities you have booked without making the move to the hotel each day... not good if you have a family of mixed ages as we had, totally impractical. The pool at the apartments was tiny, only a couple of sunbeds and absolutely no facilities. The apartment itself was certainly not like a three star apartment i have stayed in before - especially with the washing machine and sink on the balcony, and the view onto normal housing on the street below, cigarette stains on the bath, chipped and shoddy bathroom, felt unclean and very very dated. Bedrooms were o.k and clean however. The actual hotel was chaotic, food was o.k, but just o.k -very school canteen and not much choice, and felt very much like a canteen. Facilities very pontins in the sun - absolutely no hint of quality anywhere... a fair distance away from centre of Salou and beaches although there is a courtesy bus to the beach. We asked to be moved due to being off site and were placed in the sister property from the second day, which was definitely better value for money, with apartments on site, same food, but less chaotic, a bit more modern and felt cleaner - my advice would be to book the Festival Village if any from this chain, however I have stayed at Salou several times and several hotels which are far higher quality and I have paid less - my advice - shop around... staff at Festival village were lovely, and Villamarina staff did their best to resolve the off site issue to so absolutely no complaints from a staff point of view, but these reviews are misleading - I have never reviewed hotels on here before despite travelling a lot but feel these reviews aren't objective or balanced with the other hotels you may get for the same cost

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
VillaMarinaSalou, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Villamarina Club, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
I agree with you that many of the reviews on Trip Advisor are not objective, but then a huge amount of a holidays "success" is a matter of personal taste and also who you are on holiday with. As I explained the first day you arrived when you first complained - the vast majority of our customers LOVE the fact that the apartments are located off site because it gives them the freedom to come and go whilst having the benefit of being still All Inclusive. It is on the website and in all of our promotional material that the apartments are located OFF SITE. As a Trip Advisor user you will have seen this yourself in many of the reviews. We are a three star hotel offering great value All Inclusive family holidays. We have always been very clear in all of our marketing and brochures about what we are, never making claims to be something that we are not. Thankfully for us as a business, our customers disagree with your comments about "Lack of choice" on the buffet. In fact I eat there myself every night and I can state catagorically there is plenty of choice for even the fussiest of eaters. This is not just my opinion, the vast majority of our guests agree with me but please don´t just take my word for it, read the other reviews. In fact our food is rated very highly by our external Tour Operator questionaires and also our own in house questionaires.

The Festival Village is an apartment complex the Villamarina is a hotel with a separate block of apartments off site - they are sister hotels offering two different product choices. I have to disagree with you that the reviews on here are "misleading". A holiday is a deeply personal thing. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Thank you for taking the time to write the review and sorry that we did not meet your expectations of a three star property.
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Visited this hotel with Thomas Cook 16-25 August 2013.
I didnt know until I arrived but we have stayed at their sister hotel in salou which is Festival Village.
You can use the facilities at this hotel also but you must ask the reception to ring and let them know you are coming.
It is about 10 mins drive from each hotel.

We booked a private transfer with resort hopper for £60. If you book direct with the hotel, you get a free transfer with them.

Reception... we arrived at 10 am and our rooms wasnt ready, we were told to put cases in luggage room and help ourselves to breakfast, given our all inc wrist bands and away we went.
Used pool and went back later to get our room key.
Polite, nice staff, who opened the restaurant at 6am on our return day as we would be gone before it opened.

Pool... there are 2 pool areas, which are a little cramped to be honest, one with a pool bar and snack bar.. There is also a small terrace on one of the pool areas with is shaded until about 3pm.
A roof top adult only area, is a lot quieter which has jacuzzis. A special treat if you can get away from the kids and leave your partner watching them for an hour or so.
also has a bar up there too :-)
Lilo's are not allowed in the pool, but we tended to use them on the beds as they are the white plastic ones and get a bit uncomfortable after a while.
Fridays is inflatables day in the pool where they bring it 2 or 3 big inflatables for the kids.

Signs up to say towels would be taken off beds when the life guard came , i saw it happen once and then he didnt bother.
I was that annoyed i nearly took them off myself.
Only one life guard over the 2 pools.
To be honest Id say he was sitting too far away to even see the pool on one of them as he sits under an umberella which you cant really see the pool from.
And to be honest hes not even concentrating as one child thought she had broke her foot and her parents had to lift her out the pool, take her to the bed and he still hadnt been over to her and they had to go to him.
More interested in his phone if you ask me.

Food.... Breakfast was 8-10.30 Dinner 12.30-2.30 Tea 6.30-9pm
Snack bar open during day and 9-10pm
Food was a plenty and fantastic, we could not fault it one bit and my fussy son also found something to eat all the time.
A show cooking area where meats are cooked in front of you was on every night too.
Snack Bar was the usual, hotdogs, chips, burgers, crisp
Evening meals were bust from about 7.30 and a lot of the times , queues to get in. so make sure you get there early/

Rooms... we had a room with 4 beds in it and no balcony. this was a bit of a nightmare as we had nowhere to dry the towels at night after being in the pools.
The rooms are a bit small be to honest, with not enough wardrobe space or drawers to hold 4 people and we lived out of the suitcase for some of the stuff.
bathroom has sink, shower, bath and toilet, decent size, shower curtain could do with being a bit wider as the floor got soaked everytime someone had a shower.. hairdryer in bathroom
Only one plug socket in room and one in bathroom. so it was a bit of a nightmare when you had 4 people needed to charge stuff every day.
We bought an extension plug socket from a shop for 5 euro's. it was a 3 extension but by the time you got the travel plug in you could only fit 2 so if you going to buy one get the one with 5 as at least you will be able to get 3 in.
Small 14 inch colour tv in the room ( free to watch)
Air con was fab, and even on number 1 speed i had to get up in the night and turn it off as it got sooooo cold. at least it works
rooms were cleaned everyday.
Beds are not the best and my husband broke his toe on the metal bed leg ( they are a bit like army camp beds)

We went to Aquoplois water park, where someone gave me a discount voucher in the queue, apparently you could get them from burger king.
We chose this water park, as it was cheaper, nearer £14 euro in taxi, and we could take our own food in, as the other water parks dont let you and apparently the food is really dear when you get in.
charge for lockers 9 euro and ring hire 12 euro (optional)
Even tho it was peak season the queues were not that bad, i presume this is because most people go to portaventura or caribe with are advertised more.

Beach. is about 15 minutes walk away or £12 euro in taxi, there is a shuttle bus to and from hotel 10.30-11.30 and back from beach 4-5.30

Wifi... there is wifi in the hotel which you pay daily or weekly... but i heard a few guests had bought it but didnt work well in their rooms.
We walked down the road to a pub called new york (turn left out the hotel and its about 3 blocks down) £1.50 a pint there too :-)

Drinks in hotel were served in small plastic cups, you could get 2 alcoholic and 2 soft drinks at a time. polite and funny bar staff..

We only watched the entertainment 2 nights and they were both good, as we had stayed in sister hotel , a lot of the acts were the same.
As we had a room near the entertainment if you wanted an early night before 12, you would hear all the music, talking etc, so you couldnt get to sleep, so beware if you have very young chidden (saying that mine would sleep through anything)

overall a very good hotel, would recommend even for adults on their own as it has the roof top area,

kids club runs from 11- 4 with lots of things for kids up to 12 to enjoy, ping pong ( buy your own and take one from the pound shop) as they charge 10 euro deposit everytime and its easy as you just have them then. rifle shooting, drawings, games etc
WELL DONE Villa Marina

Room Tip: If you can afford it get a 2 bed apartment, they are a few mins walk away but are much bigger and it...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for the FIVE STAR review. It really helps us maintain our spot in the TOP TEN HOTELS IN SALOU where we have been consistantly since we started on Trip Advisor. I am sure that other travellers will benefit from reading your review especially the helpful hints and tips. Thanks again and we hope you will return.

Been to Hotel Villamarina Club? Share your experiences!