“Would recommend this hotel but would have preferred room only.” 3 of 5 stars

California Garden
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Autovia Tarragona a Salou, 43840 Salou, Spain   |
Ranked #53 of 98 Hotels in Salou
London, United Kingdom
“Would recommend this hotel but would have preferred room only.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Excellent hotel,staff and pool. The hotel was clean with daily maid service. From when we arrived to the day we left the hotel maintained a good service. What was even better, a first on a holiday, you don't have to queue for sun beds. They were freely available all day. The staff were extremely vigilant of those using the pools. I would recommend this hotel for friends couples and families.the only disappointment was the food provided. I am a vegetarian and found no vegetarian options most nights. Even the salads were limited usually just lettuce! The food had a very limited variety and was served only slightly warm.
The location was only a five minutes walk from the beautiful beach.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again.
A tip for all travellers to salou be vigilant of your belongings at all times. There was a lot of pick pockets day and night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Limerick, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This was my first time in Salou, it was a family holiday for me, my husband and seven yr old soon. Before my trip I was assured by out local travel agent that this hotel was very good and that I would have no worries regarding my stay.

Firstly, let me list the only positives of this hotel which was its location, evening entertainment and friendly staff. It had a central location, that was ideally situated in the town for access to he theme park and other attractions. The evening entertainment was good, my son thoroughly enjoyed this. Also the staff were friendly and helpfully.

However, the negatives outweigh the positives and I would have a hard time recommending it to anyone. Firstly, my main issue was with the pool. The pool was extremely cold everyday and my child came out shivering from it, this is not acceptable as it was too cold and ruined our experience. We avoided the pool for the rest of the holiday because of this, also it was closed everyday at 6.30pm which is fair too early in a holiday resort and the lifeguards attitude towards us could have been better.

Secondly, the food in the hotel was terrible. I really did not enjoy this and it was a let down. The verity for both adults and children was shocking, I'm not a picky eater and neither are my family but it was beyond bad!!.

Then there was the noise, it was extremely noisy in and around this hotel. Normally noise wouldn't be an issue but as I was travelling with a child, it was unacceptable. Also, even this hotel was safe I would be overly concerned with carrying a child there.

Room Tip: Rooms are small, avoid if travelling with a family!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Great Location, right in the centre of town. Great location for the theme park.
Me and my partner stayed here for a week. when we got there and sent up to our room it was dirty which wasn't the best start.
We came back one day from a day out and our room stank ( Like the maid had used the toilet) or a really bad drainage system.

The food was nice, got a bit boring after a while but that's the same with any all inclusive hotel.
to get a sunbed was really annoying, its only a small pool so you have to get down there early.
In whole the holiday was BRILL! its great quality for money, and would recommend people to go there but only room only, the food in nearby bars is great and soo cheap!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Limerick, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Where do I begin? I just returned home from Salou today, and stayed in the California Gardens***. This is my third time being in Salou, and this is by far the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. The room consisted of two single beds pushed together, ensuite, along with a T.V. in which you had to hire out the remote for €30, and a balcony. The air conditioning didn't have a remote to change which power you wanted so we were constantly too cold with it on, or too hot with it off. The walls are quite hollow in the hotel too, you can hear doors squeaking and people coughing/snoring below and beside you. The rooms were cleaned each day, which was done pretty well. We went half board with our room, which consisted of breakfast/lunch and dinner, breakfast was from 8a.m. to 10a.m., and were very limited with choice and quality, the tea/coffee was lukewarm, and the food was disgusting. Dinner time was no different, the food choices were mostly salads, and only two choices of meat were available, and drinks weren't included, which is a complete joke, you weren't aloud take in your own drinks. Entertainment was very bad to non existent, the bar closed at 10.30p.m.-11p.m. every night, with the bar staff having very little to no understanding of English. The pool area was the only part enjoyable for us, as there is a kids pool and an adults pool (with a kids pool sectioned off) too. There is a mini golf course and gym, but the sauna was being repaired. A snack area and games area (including pool tables and car racing games). The hotel is a 5-10 minute walk from main shopping street and beach, with a walk of 5 minutes from a train which is €3 to take you to Port Aventura. There are a few pubs/clubs nearby and some restaurants, and I will highly recommend Linda's Bar, which is an English bar/restaurant. We took a trip there after our horrible breakfast/dinner in the hotel, the breakfasts are beautiful, which consists of English/Irish breakfasts and toasties/rolls. The dinners were absolutely fabulous with a range of starters and main courses, not to mention kids menu and desserts. I will recommend Linda's to anyone I know going to Salou and looking for a decent meal every night. The staff are so friendly and we never had a bad word about anyone there or the food. The food is reasonably priced.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

All the reviews I have read before have made me to be afraid to stay at the Californian Gardens.
But I have enjoyed the stay we booked the hull board package and the dinners/lunch & breakfast were lovely nothing posh but great for the price we paid. The staff nice some not so much until you tip them but still all good. We had the pool view as I have requested and as we are young we didn't mind the disco that was only on Friday and Saturday. For family breaks I wouldn't suggest so much Salou, Cap Salou would be better and for older people. If you have just booked your stay in this hotel and you are frighten by the reviews don't be a lot of people that have commented before
Are looking for a 5 star standard for a good price, but if your not fussy it's brilliant.
Thank you very much for the lovely stay will return!!!! :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We have just returned from a stay at the californian garden hotel, in Salou. our double room consisted of two single beds put together, we had ensuite facilities together with tv and balcony over looking the hotels pools. the rooms were cleaned daily and the staff pleasant, breakfast was from 8 am till 10 and evening meal 630 to 10pm , which gave us a lot of leeway. food was ok ,entertainment was poor and almost non existent, we enjoy dancing and visited another hotel the da vinci about ten minutes away, which was packed with french and spanish whom were up on the dance floor every dance, with a cross section of slow and fast music and we really enjoyed ourselves, visiting towns nearby during the day we done by taking the local buses which are frequent, and if you visit one of the local bus shops , you can pick up a t10 card which allow you to take ten trips for ten euros or top up 20 trips for €20, plus you need to purchase the swipe card for €3.95 as well, this works well as depending where you travel to the journey can cost over €3 cash for each journey, something to note. we enjoyed our hotel but found noise from the night club across the road to interfere with being able to sleep, on thursday and friday night from 1130pm till around 5 ish dont know about saturday as we did not spend a saturday night there,next morning, we spoke to the restaurant manager about the issue. but he told us the disco was closed and what we heard was from a local turning up his car stereo and a one off. If you decide to stay at this hotel ask for a room as far away from the poolside area as possible and take ear plugs, you will need them, good weather, we were in shorts most of the time, generally a good hotel and well priced.

Room Tip: As stated in review, do not choose a room overlooking the pool as nice as it is, we were on the 4th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We have just returned from salou & found the hotel to be in a good location near to the beach although it is on a busy road .on first impressions rooms appeared clean & tidy until we seen about 12 months worth of dust on tv & under beds the rooms are fine for a couple but far too small for a family we had a camp bed in ours for the little one which we had to push aside to get in wardrobes.one of our single beds had 3 legs on and would tip if you rolled to the edge !
only one person could move around the room at a time as there is such little space .bathroom was fine ,clean & fresh towels & bedding provided daily .food was pretty poor i tried breakfast &evening meals twice and couldnt face it after that ,there was little selection and food was very bland ,dry & almost cold .There was entertainment on a couple of nights but nothing during the day for the children as advertised ,some of the staff were nice though including the lifeguard &reception staff who were pleasant and let us check out slightly later as our little boy was still sleeping ,overall the hotel is ok although more suited to a couple on just a room basis ,i have seen much worse hotels but wouldnt book to stay here again as didnt suit our needs.
Reus is airport is just 15-20 mins away so dont bother booking transfers we got a taxi for 6 of us for £35 euros.
Portaventura is a must the kids loved it more than eurodisney its about a 15 min walk from hotel although we took a bus there for 1.60 euro each & taxi back for 12 euro .
Beach is 5 mins walk away .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to California Garden? Share your experiences!