“Good Quality, Central Location, Reasonably Priced” 4 of 5 stars

California Garden
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Autovia Tarragona a Salou, 43840 Salou, Spain   |
Ranked #52 of 98 Hotels in Salou
Oldham, Lancashire.
“Good Quality, Central Location, Reasonably Priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here after booking a weeks break in October with Thomas Cook.
Only 20 mins transfer from Reus airport. Had a bit of a wait (2 hrs) before we could check in. No problem. Had a drink in the bar. Left our luggage in a storeroom in the basement. This requires a bit of a knack to get the lift to go to the basement using a swipecard. If you cannot get this to work, use the stairs!! Reception staff not very helpful in this regard! This was my only complaint from what was on the whole a nice break in Salou.
We went on a half board basis, and I must say the food was of a good standard. Very busy at breakfast, wide and varied selection of food.
Evening meals of a good standard, again variety of choice good. I certainly did not go hungry and did not feel the need to eat elsewhere. My wife does not eat meat but does eat fish and had no trouble.
We paid for a double room and ended up getting two kingsize beds in the room!
The room was of good quality and clean with ensuite. The balcony was average, overlooking the two swimming pools, but we did not use it. Be aware that it can get very noisy on a Saturday night because of the nightclub, and we did struggle to sleep. All other nights were quiet and we managed to get a good nights sleep. The bar was good with entertainment most nights. One spanish gentleman was very good at entertaining the children every evening and also gave the adults a lesson in spanish dance one evening!!
Overall a nice 3 star hotel in which to have a week in Salou. Only 10 minutes stroll from the centre of town and beach. Plenty of buses (Plana) that will take you to Barcelona, Tarragona, Reus and other places of interest. We would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Be aware of Saturday night nightclub noise. Try and a get a room as far away as possible, unless you...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend on are first holiday together and it was amazing the place was great the room were great cleaned by lovely staff who also spoke with myself.. i think they liked me cause im irish lol.. The food was great im a plain eater so the food was to my liking and it rarely changed but i was happy with that as they always had chips and meat, prefect. The one thing i didn't like was the pool was freezing cold but what can you do. The staff were great and the entertainment was always fun to watch. Salou in general was great as so much to do and u are right in the center with this hotel. I would recommend easily amazing holiday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

If you are looking for a clean hotel to stay at, in an ideal location California gardens is the place to go! Friendly staff, foods good, lovely atmosphere! Would definitely stay again! :) Having been on a VERY expensive holiday to Cuba and spending thousands I can honestly say I much preferred this holiday! not much different to be honest, just as friendly with more things to do! BEST HOLIDAY EVER EVER!

Room Tip: Despite being right next door to a night club, didn't hear a thing! despite our room facing it!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bradford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

when we got there we thought the hotel looked nice.we went to checking and was told we could put our bags in the storage in the basement,the lady at the desk gave me a card for the lift.no one showed me were to take the case once we got down there.we couldnt go to the rooms till after 2pm.when we went for our tea it was very busy in there and the saff wasnt very friendley towards us.i went up with my son to get some food,he saw the spaggetti and wanted som evere of that so i got him some out and i found a paper clip in the middle of the pasta was not impressed,so that didnt make good start to the holiday and from then on it got worse did the food.my son and my nephew just live of chps for the rest of the holiday.the day we was leaving we ordered an early breakfast and all we got was hard bread and biscuits no cereal.went and asked member of staff and he didnt seam to care at all he just shurged his shoulders.i would go back to salou but not that hotel ever again......

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

We arrived at callifornia gardens, went to check in, room wasn't ready so we were given a card to get in luggage room, told to use middle lift n go to -1. Didn't tell us to use the card outside n inside the lift, we found a stairway down to the basement and after wandering around for a while found the luggage room, put the card in the door, wouldn't work. Went upstairs to the desk the lady on the desk was pig ignorant and managed to give us another card. Went back down n yes this card didn't work, by this time I was loosing my cool, went to look for the rep who wasn't on the coach with us but she had apparently been seen at the hotel, but obviously didn't stay around long, which didn't impress me one bit, back to the lady with the attitude, got yet another card which eventually worked, what should have took us 10 mins took up aprox one hour. Next came the meals, I thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast as I had the meats and the cheese with a cob, couldn't face the cooked breakfast as it was swimming in fat, the evening meals were shocking, again very greasy, I basically had a bread cob with something on if I could find any meat without fat or dripping with grease, if not jam would have to do. AWFUL NEVER AGAIN, room service that takes a lot to be desired, go on the beds looked nice and neat, come to get in it at night n the top cover had been pulled over a messy bed that had not been made. One afternoon we went back to find our kettle had been knocked over and left for us to clean up when we got back, luckily it was noticed or it could have caused a nasty accident on those tiles. Anyway this is one place I will never visit again n maybe the girl behind the desk should drop her attitude and think more of customer service. (TWO DISSATISFIED CUSTOMERS)

• Stayed October 2012
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

What a dump, on arrival the hotel appears to be presentable, however once you check in the trouble starts.
With the exception of one of the front desk staff they were abrupt, cold and very unwelcoming, the restaurant manager was extremely obnoxious along with all the staff in the restaurant. Hotel room was very basic with a dark drab colour fit out that made it extremely dark even with the lights on. We went full board(unfortunately) when we arrived we had lunch chips and lettuce, breakfast was ok up till the point when my wife found a dead fly floating in the beans, the chef eventually spotted it and very discreetly scooped it out hoping that no one saw it. We complained to the front desk but they just fobbed us off, this put us off breakfast, the food was extremely bad and everything was just not fresh. The glasses for the juices were very dirty and in the end we settled for plastic cups.

We eventually got to speak to the manager, but he seemed disinterested in our complaints. I have no doubt that some people will contradict me on this but as seasoned travellers we have come to expect certain standards and this hotel just failed so miserably. It is graded as a three star hotel, but this is very much a one or two star at best. The only good point is that it has a good location. Would I go back there to this hotel most definelty not, however I would return to Salou for a short break.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I came here on the 5th of August been once want to go again loved the staff absolutely awesome when I have enough monny when I am older I will come again The only part I did not like was when my son got told he had to get out of the pool and the lifgard told my nise got told she could not swim

• Stayed August 2012

Been to California Garden? Share your experiences!