“Late summer sun in Salou!” 4 of 5 stars

MedPlaya Piramide Salou
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Viladomat, 9, 43800 Salou, Spain   |
Ranked #42 of 98 Hotels in Salou
Warwick
“Late summer sun in Salou!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Despite the holiday season winding down (it was October after all!) my partner and i had a brilliant holiday in Salou!
Our room at the Sol Piramide far exceded our expectations. We had a fridge containing complimentory drinks on our arrival, a huge balcony and our room was cleaned, new bed linen towels etc every day!
We ve been to the resort before so we know our way around, we had a day in Portaventura which was fantastic, we also had a day in Tarragona and an evening in the beautiful port of Cambrils just up the coast, the weather was beautiful for our entire stay aswell which helps of course.
Another plus point for us was our Thomson rep at the hotel, Jodie, a very sweet girl who was also very informative and helpful and someone whom Thomson would do very well to keep hold of!
All in all a superb holiday, and one i d be happy to recommend to anyone! :-)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CustomerServiceMgr, Guest Relations Manager at MedPlaya Piramide Salou, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Med Playa Hotel Piramide in Salou.
We are pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on future occasions.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Please I urge people not to book this hotel, it is nowhere near a 3 star hotel never mind a 4 star.

Me and my wife stayed for one week in late August, we booked through jet2 holidays (I have waited 5 weeks for a reply to my complaint, a disgusting way to treat a customer with valid complaints!)
The holiday started badly, we booked because of a nice 15 minute transfer which was more like 1 hour, we had a good check in and on inspection the room was ok too, we turned the air condtioning on and went out for the evening, when we returned the room was no cooler, the air con didn't work properly and we had no way of controlling it, the room also had a mini fridge that also didn't work, we reported this, we were told the air con was set at the same level throughout the hotel and the fridges were all the same. These things may sound minor but if you've spent hours online making sure your hotel you booked had air con, fridge and minimal transfer time you can imagine the disappointment, and to those who say you shouldn't complain I think they need to ask themselves that if the next time they make a big purchase what would they do of they bought a tv that was 3d ready hd ready and it turned out to be black and white with a coat hanger for an aerial, I'm sure they would want a refund!!

Now let's start on the food, in edible and truly disgusting, breakfast was awful, dripping fat bacon, uncooked sausage, scrambled eggs which were mush, never any orange left, horrible breads, cereal that had been out for days, dinner was even worse, overcooked meat served by a chef who had no clue how to cook, lots of cross contamination,undercooked pizza which was raw, my 9 year old can cook pizza, we went all inclusive and only did 2 days in the restaurant, after being ill we decided to eat out and not risk our health anymore, I can't emphasise enough how bad the food was!

The entertainment was awful but we expected that, sadly it runs from9pm to 11pm and there is no escape if you just want to relax and enjoy a drink you are struggling

In fairness the room was clean and the bar staff friendly, sadly our holiday was ruined by facilities that are clearly advertised but just didnt work or in the foods case was just not to an acceptable standard, I urge jet2 to drop this hotel from their roster or at least downgrade it, it isn't fair on people spending hard earned money on such a shabby place.

I hope I get some feedback soon from jet2 and the hotel, keep you posted!

• Stayed August 2012
Burnley, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This year, for once, I hadn't planned on a holiday abroad and booked a week's holiday in Cornwall for the Queen's Jubilee week and half term. Remember the horrendous weather which affected the celebrations? Well whilst Cornwall is very beautiful, I decided I would not be holidaying in the UK again and quickly booked a holiday abroad on my return home.
I hadn't planned on visiting Salou but the Travel Agent sold it to me due to having a 13 year old son who loves theme parks. 9 nights all inclusive at the 4 star Med Playa Piramide from 21st September with good flights there and back, sunshine and a hopefully a happy holiday.
I had read the mixed reviews but went with an open mind not expecting anything great. I must say that my family had a great time. We were on the 5th floor with a room over the pool, it was very clean and quiet at night - ok the beds are a bit hard and it took me a few days to get used to them. The food was good for an all inclusive with plenty of choice and if you didn't like something you could leave it and get something else. Timing was the key with the food. If you went for dinner at 7pm prepare for long queues at the Show Cooking. We took advantage of the picnics offered for our days out at the theme park and Barcelona. Now I don't drink as a rule but was tempted by the daily cocktails on offer. Queues again and you could only get two drinks at a time so if the three of us wanted a drink then myself and my husband had to queue. The bar staff were great - a bit thin on the ground but they did a good job. We particularly enjoyed the entertainment provided by Giovanni and the girls - the children's Mini Disco everynight was ok but could do with some new dances and the other acts were excellent.
What made our holiday so good was the people we met. There was a large group of adults with various degrees of learning disabilities there with their carers and they joined in the fun. It was just a pity that some nationalities who were there at the same time made fun of them.
Overall we had a great holiday and will be going back next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Redcar, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel is not a 4* more a 3* but saying that what do you expect for the price we pay. Just got back from a week at this hotel and really enjoyed it. The room was cleaned everyday and towels were changed when ever we left them in the bath sheets were changed once but we were only there a week so not a problem. Food there was always plenty of choice but was on the cold side but they was microwaves if you wanted to warm your food. Drinks flowed freely all day long staff at this hotel were very freindly especially at the reception we booked for the themepark on line while we where there and the reception staff were very good and printed them out for us which as it saved us on gate price. Downside was the entertainment area the seats where set up as if you were at the cinema without enough tables and the stage was mostly hidden by a big pillar. All in all though had a great holiday dont take any notice of the people that moan or you will never go anywhere,

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Recently returned from a week long holiday at this hotel and found it basic but clean with a good level of service.

We travelled with elderly parents and have to say that we had no complaints regarding food at all. Some issues relate to reduced staffing levels which resulted in closed bars and having to walk from one side of the hotel to the other for drinks etc. Our parents are 68 amd 70 years of age and you were only allowed two drinks per person and they were required to walk a distance to carry drinks back which was not a suitable situation.However, the staff were friendly despite being overworked and nothing appeared to be too much of an effort.

My second negative point would be related to the all inclusive food where snacks were only available by going to the 1 st floor restaurant whic again was not good for elderly less mobile individuals. However, the buffet restaurant had an extensive range of salads soups main meals and sweets and getting a place o sit was never a problem but it was noted that the staff reduction had an impact on the ability to keep things turning over on the occassions where the restaurant got really busy.

All in all we really enjoyed this break in a clean and hispitable hotel where if you do not enjoy yourself it is because you didnt want to. Fair enough it is not 4 star but it is good as you can get within th eprice range paid. Would not hesitate to return to this hotel; however, would suggest to the management that knowing you are leaving your job in a few days has an impact on your motivation to provide a quality service consistently and I sensed this during our stay.

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor above the entrance. This can get a little noisy later at night as p...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was supposedly a four hotel and I was extremely disappointed in the hotel, this is a hotel which should be rated as a 2* hotel. The food was awful, the beds was the most uncomfortable I've ever slept on. The hotel is in need of some TLC. However, the staff were helpful and very friendly. I loved Salou and would return to the resort, but would stay at another hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
CustomerServiceMgr, Guest Relations Manager at MedPlaya Piramide Salou, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Hotel Piramide.
We are very sorry to hear that this popular hotel in Salou did not meet with your expectations on this occasion, but are pleased to hear that in spite of some disappointment your overall holiday experience in salou was positive.
Ayr, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel from 25th Sep for 1 week.We thoroughly enjoyed every part of our week.The hotel was comfortable the food was excellent.The staff were extremely helpfull and courteous.I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to MedPlaya Piramide Salou? Share your experiences!