“Love this place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Salou B&B and Inns
Derry, United Kingdom
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just back for an 8 night stay at Four Elements. Can't fault this hotel. This hotel is situated in the quieter town of La Pineda. Four Elements was a lovely clean hotel, rooms were cleaned daily, and cleaners were constantly cleaning the reception and hallways. The staff where all good enough, Tomas at the pool bar was the best. There was 4 entertainment staff and they run a great programme all day from 10 til 10. There plenty to do but the staff weren't pushy, I enjoyed sitting watching all the games etc but never took part. Pool area is a bit small but we always got a sun lounger and several times a day my kids were the only ones in the pool. Great selection of food for breakfast and dinner, I think the food was always well cooked, well presented and there was something that everyone in the family would eat.
It is a 20-30 minute bus ride away from Portaventura, depending on the traffic, but the bus stop is just around the corner beside the beach and there is a bus every 15 minutes. There is a great wee supermarket just around the corner too.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Block 1 and 2 are closer to the pool and bar. Block 3 and 4 would maybe suit families with young chi...

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Rooms

On arrival into the bedroom, we were expecting a double bed and twin bed room. The double room was fine, but the twin bedroom was so small you had to climb over one of the beds to sleep in the other or to open the balcony door. It was one of those put up guest beds (the one that you pull out from underneath another) which collapsed if you sneezed too hard, or when you attempt to push it against the other bed to create more room (thought there was none really, but we were desperate.)

The double room was fine with a nice en-suite. I was travelling with my elderly parents and could not subject them to the twin bed ordeal so my husband and I shared the twin bedroom. Let's just say there was no action for him all week due to the bed situation. I was not willing to risk losing a finger if the bed collapsed or hurt my back! Our sons (ages 10 & 14) slept in the front room in the sofa bed, which would have suited my husband and I but that would have meant no privacy.

The boys enjoyed the pool, it was just the one and small but it was ok. There was a paddling pool too. Worrying though, there were no lifeguards on duty at all! Not one!

No first aiders

There were no first aiders either when my Mum slipped and hit her head. Blood everywhere (not their fault, by the way) but when we asked for someone to do the usual checks as it was a head injury, we were told there was no doctor or nurse and they would have to call the ambulance. We were offered rubbing alcohol and plasters. The cut was not very deep but because she is elderly and she hit her head, we just wanted her checked out. It wasn't serious enough to warrant an ambulance.
I shudder to think what would happen if, God forbid, there was an accident in the pool with the kids. You would need a lifeguard or first aider or someone who knew what to do. No such person existed here at all. You would have to pray the ambulance got to you soon!

I am not a foodie at all, my husband says I eat like a bird. I am 5"9 and can wear my 14year old's hoodie. So you get the picture. Tall and skinny. I never complain about food cos I am not really interested. But even I have to say there were hardly any food varieties.
We were booked in for half board. Breakfast had 2-3 choices including 2 egg dishes of scrambled and fried eggs. You had bacon with it and that was it. Sometimes with some pastries.
Dinner was so disappointing that we took to eating out which cost more, but we had no choice. One evening, all I had was watermelon. Every night there were about 3-4 varieties of salad and maybe 2-3 hot dishes if you were lucky. One would be fish, another pork and always spaghetti with runny tomato sauce. Dessert always had those Costco type dodgy looking 'cakes'. The large feed -all, messy sort you had to eat with a spoon. A few mini tubs of salty 'ice cream', Some unripe bitter fruits and that was it. It was awful.

Dungeon dining
The dining room had no natural sunlight, and maybe six bathroom type windows, you know, the top slit type so no one could see in. (Maybe so passers-by could not see the disgrace that they were passing off as food.) The wallpaper, to compensate for the lack of light, were retro loud stripes which made you feel you were eating in the dungeons cause you had fallen out of grace and were being tortured with the eye watering wallpaper. Stare too long and you would be in a trance.

The air-conditioning kept belching out smelly fumes, which had to be sprayed often, although, that was not too bad in comparison to everything else. .

Staff
Service was not too bad, the staff smiled and tried to be helpful, although so zealous in clearing up that Mum lost many full plates of food because they didn't wait for you to finish eating before they took your food away. If you went to get another plate there was a good chance they may have run out. The food served at the beginning, middle and end of the evening sometimes differed also. We used to try and go at different times just to see if would be better. No such luck. Still dire.

There's no tea or coffee in the evening at the restaurant and you were not allowed to bring yours unless you paid for it at the bar. In all other restaurants I have stayed at in Salou, it was served with all meals. This is our 9th year in Salou so we kinda know the norm. This place was not it.

The entertainment was okay especially the Brasilian show. It was not the best I have seen but, for the poor standards here, this was the best they had.

Location
Location wise, it's good. It's based in La Pineda which is 15mins by bus to Salou and PortAventura and five mins to Aquapolis water park. Quieter than Salou. Lovely, clean beaches, less than 5 mins walk away. Cheaper than Salou beach for chair and shelter rental. You will be bothered by hawkers selling fake goods though, but not too annoying. Lots of nice restaurants here and in Salou (you will need it if you stay at 4 elements suites!)

For the techno junkies, brilliant and best point: wifi is free in the lobby area. The seats are comfy so you can stay here a while if you wish.

This is where I am right now, writing this review, which I feel so strongly about that I couldn't wait to get home before I wrote it. When you work so hard all year round and just want to relax and unwind but cannot do so due to making the mistake of checking into a place like this, (and yes, we did check the reviews) you feel cheated which is exactly how I'm feeling right now. If we could have checked into our other favourite hotels, we would have done so, but they were fully booked.

If you still need to come here at least you know what to expect. Thanks for reading my review. Tongue in cheek and trying to remain upbeat but still seething..

Room Tip: If there are more than 2 adults travelling together, you need another room. The twin bed is only sui...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

At the hotel you may see it as being a bargain hotel with a small budget, and although looking relatively modern the place isn't as good as you'd see, although it's labeled to be in salou it isn't, it's in la peninda, quieter and less things going on, however this also means there is nothing to do, the facilities are basic and the food is shody, you don't get what you paid for, personally I wouldn't spend £2 on a suit, let alone £2,000!!

• Stayed October 2012
Kilmarnock
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed at this hotel from the 30th July for a week with my partner and 15 year old son and his friend. Had a 2 bedroom apartment which was very clean, had great air conditioning and plenty of room, We had a view over the pool and the 5th element bar area.
The boys hung out in the chill out bar most days. There was free Wi Fi in this area and round the pool.
We stayed half board and found the food to be very good. There were Spanish, Mexican and Chinese themed evenings.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful.
The pool was quite small for the size of hotel, but it didn't seem overly busy so we always had sun loungers. The pool bar was good, and towels were provided for your use at the pool.
The hotel is only 2 minutes walk from the beautiful beach. You can walk for ages in the sea without it getting deeper than waist height. There are good beach bars dotted along the length of the sea front.
Legends pub is round the corner from Four Elements. It's good for catching the football and has great music to suit whatever your taste. The owner is very friendly.
There is a bus stop at the beach which takes you to Port Adventura which is a great day out.

We would go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1207 which is on the second floor with a pool view.
FALKIRK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We travelled there in the middle of July.The apartment was large with a great living room which was well maintained and very modern.The kitchen was also very modern and looked new.The bedroom and bathroom were large well furnished and spotless.The hotel is not in Salou but it is very easy to get there by bus if needed.The breakfast was good but we didn't eat other meals here so cant comment.The staff were nice and helpful.The hotel didn't have lots of Brits and seemed to mainly have Russians staying there.Would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in June 2013 half board the hotel was fab staff great and yes Tomas that's you you kept us entertained I hope they give you a gold star. On the down side when we were leaving we had to go to another hotel to get our bus to the airport but even that was not any trouble to the staff the maintenance man came in his car to take us their service was great.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor which was good we faced out to the sea but in between another apartment...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I must say I was very shocked at this hotel.Me and my friend who are 2 young females stayed here for a week from 26th June.
We went there not expecting loads due to reading other reviews.
We went all inclusive and the food was to a good standard,the drinks were good.Tomas at the pool bar was excellent and kept bringing us drinks to our sunlougers. Perfect service.
The rooms were big and we had 2 bedrooms which were clean and modern.
The pool area(where we spent most of our time) was very smart. The pool bar was never busy,so you get served straight away. The entertainment wasn't the best,but we were there to relax.The pool was freezing,but felt very cooling after sunbathing.
On the whole for the money we paid it surpassed my expectations and I would return if I was looking for a cheap,relaxing holiday.
Portaventure was excellent and Barcelona a real must.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Four Elements Suites? Share your experiences!