“Good stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Village Hotel

You added Holiday Village Hotel to your Saves list
Holiday Village Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   CN-340 Km 216 Paraje la Perla, 29630 Benalmadena, Spain   |
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Benalmadena
London, England
“Good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

I stayed here for a week with my partner and 3 year old.

The hotel has wonderful staff who all seemed helpful and a great entertainment team from First Choice. Our daughter was entertained by the kids club which Rama full programme every day from 10am through to 11pm (except Wednesdays).

We love the idea of all inclusive bug do bear in mind that the restaurant for dinner can be a little chaotic with it being buffet service. Do make sure you enjoy the themed Tex-mex and Italian as these are both table service.

The beach club across the road is fabulous. Our little one was too small for the slides but the smaller pools at the top were shallow enough for her to walk in to on her own and next to that is a water fountain area that all the little one love.

Lunch is taken in the BeachClub. A word of advice is that you must show your room keycard to get drinks in the Beach Club your wristband isn't enough.

If you want a real beach head down the steps to Carvajal beach to the right as you look to sea. It takes a slow 15 minute walk to get down there.

The hotel attracts families and some largish groups so if that isn't your thing you may want to avoid the hotel but for us it was a compromise worth doing as our daughter had a great time which allowed us to relax.

Stayed June 2014
hvcdsmanagement, Manager at Holiday Village Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with us.

We appreciate all feedback as it can show us where improvements are necesarry.

Many thanks and we hope to see you again in the future.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Polish first
Bolton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I don't normally write reviews after my holidays as I am normally very happy with my choice of hotel but have to say we were very disappointed with this hotel. This is our second holiday village and decided to choose anther one after the fantastic time we had at the Lanzarote holiday village.

The main reason we were disappointed was the room, we had a sea/pool view which was nice but the room just felt dirty and is in desperate need of renovation. The balcony floor was dirty all through our stay and the table and chairs were dirty too. We normally like to spend time on the balcony at night when we put the kids to bed but didn't on this holiday cause it was so dirty so this really spoilt our holiday.

The food were do I start, breakfast - everything was covered in oil so all 4 of us eat cereal for 10 days. The evening food was awful too, we got a taxi to Benalmadena marina most nights. The lunch was nice but this was at the the beach club in the water park over the bridge.

I don't think we will be booking holiday villages again now.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Emma P,

We are very sorry to hear that you weren´t happy with certain aspects of your holiday.

With regards to the room cleanliness, this is something that we have been concentrating a lot on and we take on board your comments and will look into them.

We aim to satisfy most tastes with our food but as there are so many different tastes, sometimes this gets reflected in our feedback.

Many thanks and we hope that you consider us for any future holidays.
Stotfold
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Like a few reviews I have read on here I found the rooms amazing and kept nice and clean. Staff were always nice and friendly. Apart from the pools not being heated they were great!

On to food! First thing I have to mention is I like a cup of coffee, and let's put it this way I went without for a whole week! It was foul! Some frothy horrible almost Chocolate tasting coffee! Honestly, most parents need a good cup of coffee! I also like green tea, so found lack of choice with the fact it was fruit or plain! Breakfast was lovely, lots of choice of food. But they need more chefs on at busy times! Lunch across the road became a chore! However, food choice was much nicer over there! So, evening meals! 7 days of the same hell! Sloppy over cooked vegetables, fish tasting chicken because it's cooked on the same grill, and pretty much everything coated in oil! I don't go on holiday to come back 5 stone heavier! Not only did my husband and I struggle with food choice, my 6 year old had chips or rice every day and my 3 year old barely touched a thing! Think this is because everything was coated in oil! Such a shame!! Queuing at busy times was crazy and opening at 7 for evening meal is too late for the kids! Our are usually getting ready for bed at that time! My youngest was falling asleep at the table one evening!

So entertainment, we never bothered! Out kids just wanted pool or the outside play area! Which needs expanding to be honest!

And I agree with one of the reviews why can't we have bottled water left on our rooms every day! We had to buy squash, water, bread, biscuits weetabix etc because of the little one not eating. So wasting money on water was annoying!

Oh and that reminds me, the orange juice is horrible too! What's wrong with squash for kids not pure fruit juices!

• Stayed June 2014
hvcdsmanagement, Manager at Holiday Village Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to hear that there were some aspects of your holiday that you weren´t entirely happy with.

We will review your feedback as it can help us see where improvements can be made.

Many thanks and we hope that you consider us for your future holidays.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We have just arrived back after spending a week in the holiday village! We have 2 children 4 and 11! We checked in without any problems! Rooms were a good size ,bathroom fab 2x showers and hand basins can sort 2 children at same time! Room could have been a little cleaner but by all means not dirty dirty although a little dated! Some of the bedding was as little thread bare and blankets were like army ones! If you want to watch tv Get a remote from reception! Rooms were cleaned every day without exception and fresh towels daily! You need to get a chitty from reception when you book in to get beach towels you get them downstairs at the spa and can change them twice a week don't loose them as you get a 15 euro fine!
Pools were fabulous not at all cold at the main pool although the big ones at beach club could be a little chilly! Spotlessly clean all around the pool areas and always plenty of sunbeds! We found a lovely spot near the beach club restaurant where the splash fountains were, Shallow pool for little ones and spotless toilets by the pool and not to mention the bar and restaurant right near. Perfect spot we could have spent everyday there!
Kids club........what can I say I could not fault the team! They were excellent with my 2 and they enjoyed everyone they attended! We did pay extra for two sessions but they were worth it! Both my children who weren't the best swimmers even after lots of lessons back home , attended daily swimming lessons with Chris! I thoroughly recommend him! He was great with them both and he kind of fast tracked them through their 5 lessons to the point where they have both come home able to swim I am so pleased as are they!
Food wasn't the best, not much choice for my picky pair! They lived on nuggets hot dogs And chips! Breakfast was faultless lots of choice! Restaurants can get busy but we never had to Que! You get the chance to eat at two different restaurants during the week! Italian was ok but the Mexican wasn't too good, more American food like burgers etc none of us enjoyed that! The beach club restaurant on a lunch time is worth the trail over the bridge it only takes 5-10 mins to walk depending on mobility!
Drinks were not the best but did the job! If you wanted a cocktail you need to ask for the drinks by name and not the actual cocktail as the bar staff are not allowed to do this ! My husband didn't enjoy the lager! The wine was ok!
The entertainment was good for the kids! The entertainment staff were friendly and good with the
little ones!
We went to fengorola market on Tuesday taxi was 10 euros and an afternoon down at benalmedena harbour which was lovely and 11 euros in a taxi.
All in all we had a fabulous holiday and will be back again next year! Don't listen to the bad reports it's not perfect but with a few tweaks it could be!

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to review our hotel.

We take on board your comments and suggestions as we can use them to make improvements where necesarry.

We are happy that you enjoyed your holiday and hope to see you again soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Stayed here for a week 1st June family of 4 kids 9 & 13. 1st impressions not happy wearing all inclusive wristbands all week very dated, room needed cleaning, fittings could do with up dating especially the 10yr old tv not good for a 4 star hotel!! Was up on the 4th floor looking over the pool & sea which was lovely. Breakfast was the best meal there, evening meal could do better. Pool snack bar was way to small for the amount of people using it. Swimming pool was nice bit cold, had to be closed twice while we was there 1st time as a girl was sick in there so shut for 6hours then 2nd time 4hours as a toddler had no swim nappy on!!!! Not good. Water park across the bridge was nice. Would recommend going to Benalmadena marina in the evening well worth a visit taxi was 10 euros. Great resort costa del sol if hotel was updated would go back. Entertainment staff worked hard & first choice staff always helpfull.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a sea view room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time and reviewing our facilities.

As you mentioned in your review, the hotel is over 10 years old and we have started our modernisation programme. This will continue in to next year.

We hope that you consider us for your future holidays.
Sotogrande, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

This was the first holiday my 14 month old baby has had. We actually live on the Costa Del Sol about 200km away so it was a bit funny at first.
My parents came over from the UK with my niece and nephew so this was the reason we all went.

The hotel delivered everything we hoped.
Everyone loved it and it find it hard to fault.

Its probably not ideal for the 16 year old we had with us but she didn't complain.
We also had a 22 year old who didn't complain once.

The food was amazing and plentiful.

Breakfast was excellent
The food all day was very good.
The evening buffet wasn't 100% perfect for me but i cant complain as nobody else did.
The pudding was superb and i now know after a big meal i can only cope with 11 profiteroles.
The chocolate fountain was superb and out enough times to be novel but not too many times to be boring.

The plates did have a little residue on them which meant you had to pick a clean one, but the water is so hard on the Costa Del Sol that there are serious challenges to getting stuff squeaky clean.

The pools are superb and we went in May so they were a little cold but its just what you need on a hot day to bring your body temperature down.

The hotel is elevated and very much seafront so quite often there is an amazing cool breeze coming inland which really does make it comfortable in the hot weather.

The shop downstairs had enough supplies although they ran out of baby wipes.
I had some in the car outside so it was no bother for me but could have inconvenienced some for a day or so.
Prices were decent and not excessive.

The staff and entertainment were fantastic.
Nothing was too much trouble for them and they were happy to help.
The entertainers were good with typical English holiday camp style failed ex factor contestants.

We didn't get to try out any of the kids clubs or entertainment because we had grandparents to look after the baby but next time we go we will be sure the kids are well looked after and in good hands.

We thankfully got a room next to the other family we were with even though we booked at different times.
This was superb.

We had a room facing the railway. What people fail to point out is that this railways is a local tube type electric railway above ground. You really cant hear a sound from it other than a little tick tick tick as it goes whizzing almost silently past.

We didn't care about the seafront because we live on the seafront anyway so railway was lovely and so was the mountain view.

The room was fine and the kitchen has everything you need including a full size fridge with a freezer compartment big enough to keep a weeks frozen baby food.

We arrived a little late because we didn't have a flight to catch so we stopped in Marbella on the way to get some nappies. When we arrived they noticed we hadn't checked in so there was a huge microwave meal in the fridge and lots of packaged cakes and biscuits waiting for us in case we hadn't eaten.
Luckily we did actually make it in time for the evening meal so we didn't need it. Even though the microwave meal wouldn't have won any food awards it was superb touch and could have been perfect for a weary traveler.

I still keep thinking about those amazing breakfasts.

The room was absolutely fine but it really could have done with a bit of a better deep clean before we arrived.
It did fail inspection a little but nothing a few baby wipes didn't sort out.
I would recommend the hotel or first choice to maybe give a little more time to staff for cleaning and inspect them a little more.
People dont mind their own mess but having other peoples left over is not good.
The clean before we arrived was the critical one for first impressions.
They were pretty clean overall but standards could do with raising slightly.

We couldn't get our safe to work and called the reception.
It seemed as soon as we put the phone down the technician came and knocked on the door.
Sorted fast.

The bed was a little broken and was squeaking really loudly which woke the baby.
We called and it was fixed by the time we got back from the pool.
The two single beds were actually huge.

The pull out beds sheets were a bit threadbare but clean and smelled nice.
The 22 year old didn't complain about the bed once.

The staff spoke almost perfect English and other languages.
There is English Tv which is superb.

I would highly recommend this to anyone and will definitely be going again soon.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to our hotel.

We appreciate your feedback regarding the cleanliness as it can help us see where we must improve.

Many thanks and look forward to your next visit.
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

I am on my last day at other holiday village and got to say I have mixed reviews. 5* in some areas, 2* in others. We have had mixed weather all week so that has played a major part in what we have decided to do. We have had 4 days of 33 degrees which is pretty hot for June and 2 days of cloud such as today it's only 23 degrees and freezing! Bless us Brits out in bikinis even in the cloud though!

Food - is what you should expect from all inclusive.. A huge variety to choose from and yes, like some reviews have said it is like a cattle market people everywhere touching things and leaving masses of food which is pretty disgusting when you think of all the starvation in the world! Maybe a tip would be for people to put a small amount of food on their plate then go back for more rather than piling it up and feeling sick after 5 mins. Quite a lot of people on here have said that the food is disgusting.. Well, that's down to personal opinion! I have quite enjoyed the food, apart from puddings. I don't like foreign chocolate it tastes stale to me. Italian restaurant was 5* absolutely beautiful. I was so full after the starter I had to ask for a box to take my pizza away. Tex mex wasn't as nice, although my partner enjoyed his ribs. Lunchtime buffet was a bit iffy for me, some days I enjoyed it, others I didn't. Breakfast was always lovely, lots to choose from, same with tea. Chocolate fountain was impressive. I have stayed at all inclusive resorts before and it's always the same, buffet style, so anyone who isn't used to this might be off put. I have stayed in a stunning resort in the Maldives before and food here was better. In the Maldives you have flies on everything so think of that!

Pools - 1 word, amazing. I have never seen a water park as varied and fun!!! Wave pool, slides, toddler area etc etc cater for everyone!! Just a shame it's cold, cause when it's cold on a day like this you can't go in. It's just freezing. On a hot day it's fine. 5/5 for pools though still!

Rooms - VERY clean, only 1 day they forgot to clean, other than that 5*

Staff - restaurant staff - wow, amazing with kids!! One lady in breakfast buffet bit was amazing with my son, kept kissing him bless her! Wish I knew her name to pass positive feedback on. She's in the meet and greet entrance bit. bar staff just chat between themselves not really had a pleasant experience so far within them. Mind you they must get sick of kids spilling sticky pop and careless adults getting wrecked by 12 noon. First choice staff are great. A couple of the lads you can tell loved themselves and quite often disappeared from the help desk. On first day it was a nightmare trying to find the pram we hired, the lad was pretty useless at helping and ended up picking one up from the crèche in the end. Kids club staff are superb! So enthusiastic and a god send for parents. So many activities for kids!!! Which brings me on to the next bit.... Nothing much to do for toddlers. This is where we have struggled. Our son is 16 months old and full of beans. He's confident running around playing on play area outside and quite advanced physically so this is where we had a problem. He was too young for kids club and could only play in the crèche but we had to leave him there which we didn't want to do! So there was absolutely nothing for him to play with. Crèche had so many toys and he would have loved it but we would have loved to play with him as it was a family holiday after all. We were told by other parents we should leave him at the crèche as the staff were great, which I'm sure they were, however, these parents were so loud, rough and didn't have a care in the worlds they were drunk by dinner time and didn't care too much for their babies. My son would have loved to play in an indoor play area when it got too hot outside around mid day. Unfortunately it wasn't open to public till kids clubs had stopped so he could only play in it 6.15 -7pm which is tea time. Then bed time! So that was poor. We did play in arcade but lost a few euros to machines not working.

I would have rated this 4* if there were two simple changes: 1) accommodate for toddlers indoors with a play area. 2.) allow guests to have 2 bottles of water per day in rooms. You only get two bottles on first day so ended up spending €13 euros on water! That would make it feel more all-inclusive.

Would I come back here? Yes, but not till my kids were at least 5 years old. Then I would feel like it was a holiday and not trying to keep my son happy for 12 hours a day.

P.s we visited Polynesia - wow, the hotel is something else inside!! Much better than ours! But location isn't as good as the holiday village, at least with holiday village you are right next to the bridge (which is a stupid design by the way) and the pool area is more lively.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your holiday with us.

We take on board your suggestions and will share them with our collegues for future planning.

Many thanks and we hope to see you again in the future.

Been to Holiday Village Hotel? Share your experiences!