“Great Value all inclusive family Holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Village Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Holiday Village Hotel to your Saves list
Holiday Village Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   CN-340 Km 216 Paraje la Perla, 29630 Benalmadena, Spain   |
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Benalmadena
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Essex
“Great Value all inclusive family Holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

Holiday village was a great value all inclusive 2 week holiday that cost me just over £1,700 for myself, wife and 2 kids ages 8 & 13. Pools and beach club superb,room(no.428) was fine,spacious and clean with sea/pool view. plenty of lifts for upper floors. Food was adequate with good choice ,although after 2 weeks lunch & dinner can become a bit samey and mundane.(i would compare the quality to a motorway service station) . Breakfast is superb with great choice both hot and cold with the only minor gripe being the queuing for the toast machines and juice machines. Facilities on site are fine including the bars,shop,computer cafe (1 euro for 10mins). Would not advise self catering at the hoilday village as i think you would spend a fortune on food & drinks in the hotel with the shop being limited in choice and pricey.
There does appear to be a problem with a sickness bug at the holiday viallage,with both my children and my wife suffering from it at different times during the 2 weeks, although it does only seem to last 24 hours or so. Another bugbear is the sunbed frenzy in the mornings around the main pool and the queue for the opening of the beach club at 10am , although to be fair with the tempreture over 35 c every day we was at the village,the limited number of shades available was more the problem rather than the lack of sunbeds. The bus service to benalmadina (very nice harbour) is quick and cheap (4 .6 euros for 4 of us) and runs every 30mins from outside the hotel .
Summary: Short flight and transfer is lovely, good clean facilities, ideal family holiday, very good value but Sandals it is not.

• Liked — Large ,spacious and clean.
  • Disliked — Nothing in particular.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Polish first
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

If you have children go there. There are so many things for kids to do there. There are about 4 pools and a FANTASTIC kids club called wavelength. It makes the kids not feel embarressed because they are going to a kids club but it makes them feel grown up and sociable.

The irish bar was good fun at night. I would recommend the Italian but not so much the mexican. The buffet was good and there was a huge range of salads, desserts, meats and lots of yummy food.

You don't need to go out of the hotel because everything is there. It is a bit of a journey from the airport and because the coaches were on strike when we were there we all had taxis to the hotel which could have been big hassle but was actually handled excellently by the reps.

The beach club across the road was okay but the pools were freezing. One point is that the indoor pool was a nuisance as children can't go in after 11am.

A shout for Danny, Kelly, Andy, James and Fergie who were brilliant at the kids club. It was beautifully decorated and furnished with good sized rooms.

• Liked — WAVELENGTH, staff, food, rooms, bars,
  • Disliked — Not near a beach,
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

Hands down best holiday weve ever been on. Myself, husband and 17 month old son came back on saturday after 2 weeks AI in the fantasic holiday village.

first impressions were great. no queue to check in so straight up to the room. we were in room 444. very clean, kitchen, bathroom with bath and shower and 2 sinks- there were no plugs though so having a bath was a little difficult! living room with dining table and bedroom with hugh twin beds. a travel cot was provided for the little one - which he found very comfy (and trust me hes very picky about where he sleeps!) and then a huge balcony which over looked the pools, beach club and sea.

La Perla - Buffet Restaurant
Fab variety for breakfast and dinner. always something i liked and im a fussy eater. you are shown to a table by the waiter and then off you go to get some food. For breakfast tea and coffee are served at your table and there are juice machines for anyone who doesnt want tea or coffee. For dinner the waitress will take your drinks order as you are shown to your table and again off you go to help yourself for 1,2 or 3 courses. FYI, you are given a 1st or 2nd sitting time when you check in (1815-1945 or 2015-2145) if your on the first sitting dont arrive later than 1945, they dont like it!

hotel facilities
its like a mini shopping centre. all indoors. you'll find the shop (very expensive), all kids clubs, creche, piano bar, games room, pool room, indoor entertainment room (winter), sports screen. also a few seats to sit and relax with the sound of the indoor mini waterfall.

creche
our little one went to 7 morning sessions and 2 evening sessions and loved it. the girls were great with him and on somedays he was the only 1 there so he loved having their full attention. They do stay and play sessions at the weekend which i believe is free.

Hotel Pools
Massive main pool and pretty big paddling pool too. very warm esp later in the day. Daily quiz and adult and kids games in and around the pool everyday. Gotta fight for a sunbed though. There are signs eveywhere saying no reserving before 9am but only once during our whole stay were towels removed by those who did reserve. My suggestion, set the alarm for 8am get down to the pool, towels out and back up to bed!

Beach Club
OMG. Having this attached to the hotel was the cherry on top. all those pools including the new wave pool with 2 big slides (gotta hire a rubber ring for EUR5.00 plus EUR15.00 deposit), 1 little slide and 2 kids slides. Also waterjets for the kids (which i loved) Lunch time buffet is over here too which is good if youre spending the day over here. if not then it isnt a long walk and to be honest the exercise is good.

Location
Im telling you all the people that complain about the location are just lazy!!!! We went for a walk one evening towards Fengorola. yes it is along a semi busy road but there are sidewalks so as safe as any road in the UK. Didnt take us long before we reached a sandy beach and a supermarket and a few restaurants. We then ventured a bit further the next day and found the tourist part of Fengorola with a bigger sandy beach and pubs and clubs and restaurants and shops etc. BTW the sand was sooo hot i was nearly in tears!! take some socks with you!! The hotel is a long way from the pubs in Benalmadena but there is a supermarket about 20 minutes walk in that direction.

Entertainment
All i can say is bless the entertainers for trying. There were 4 evening entertainers and they did it all from kids disco, game shows, bingo, singing, dancing and they also took care of the sound and technical side of things too. There were a couple of guest acts in including a tribute boy band, comiden and hypnotist.

We didnt book any excursions as a bit expenice, my advise decide where you want to go before you get there and look the places up online. we only went to the zoo but saved a lot of money doing it ourselves.

I did get sick on the last day which may or may not of been food poisoning but who knows. Its not ruined my experience of the Holiday Village Costa Del Sol and will defo be going back.

• Liked — pools. all of them
  • Disliked — no plugs in bath or sinks!!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2008

In summary: This hotel is great for families with young children but if you haven't yet booked and you were hoping to go in the next few months - DON'T; as unfortunately there is a high chance that your children will catch the norovirus which is a nasty stomach bug and that is the last thing you want to see your children go through on holiday.

I travelled to this hotel on 13th June for two weeks; our party was 2 adults, a three year old and a one year old.

The stomach virus - to be fair to the hotel, I believe that this virus is something being passed from guest to guest, I did lower my rating on the hotel because this is an exclusive First Choice Hotel and I think that First Choice should do more to warn guests about this bug. I don't think that First Choice are even aware of the size of the problem as a lot of families do not report it to the hotel doctor (including us). IT IS NOT AN ISOLATED INCIDENT we noticed many other families suffering from sickness at this hotel. I recently found out that someone at my work caught the same bug in the same hotel a MONTH before I went there - this is going on too long at this hotel. Sorry to dwell on this but watching your children go through this is awful. We did manage to enjoy our second week at this hotel.

THE ROOMS: Great family sized rooms. The main bedroom has two queen sized beds and there is decent room to navigate around. There is a large double wardrobe. The balcony straddles the bedroom and living room - great size. We got a pool and sea view which wasn't any extra in cost but worth asking for when you book.
The living room is good sized. There is a pull out single bed under the sofa which my 3 year old daughter slept in - easy to tidy away each morning. My son was in a cot provided by the hotel - travel cot but clean and the hotel provided linen for the cot. There is also another double sized wardrobe in the living room - no problems with storage. There is also a good sized dining table but we never used it as we went AI.
TV channels: BBC1, ITV, ITV2, Eurosport, SkySportsNews, CNN. You need to get the remote from reception (we did not have to pay a deposit).
The kitchen is small but again we didn't really use it. There is a kettle, toaster, microwave, & cooker. There is very little preparation space so I would expect it would be difficult if you went self catering.
The bathrooms are great (dare I say too big?) Double sink, bath with shower plus another shower which is very handy when all getting ready in the evening.
The balcony is large and has table and chairs, the doors lock at the top so safe from the young children opening them.

THE FOOD:
Main restaurant: I would not rate the food 4* more like 2 or 3* The last 4 hotels I have been to have been far superior standard and this is why I will have to rate this hotel low on the food in the buffet restaurant.
The breakfast is fine, good choice and you can get freshly cooked omelettes.
We did not eat lunch (served at the beach club) but sometimes got snacks at the pool bar - basic stuff but edible.
Dinner was not good (in my opinion) the dishes did not really seem to compliment each other, I tried a few pasta dishes but they were bland and not at all hot. I would have liked to see more Spanish dishes. Hotel seems to cater for Bad Bristish taste - CHIPS CHIPS CHIPS and oversalted British dishes. I usually stuck to the meat which is freshly cooked in front of you and the salads. There was plently of fresh fruit to choose from as well. There is a lot to choose from but the quality could be much better. Saying that - we never had a problem with sickness from the food or drinks.
The best night in the buffet restaurant is Thursday as they serve a decent roast dinner and lovely chocolates plus a chocolate fountain which the children went mad for.
There is an army of staff in the restaurant - getting drinks, replenishing the dishes and keeping it clean and they do a great job, they are also helpful and friendly (with the exception of the men that show you which table to sit at - very rude). This is the first All Inclusive hotel I have been too where you are told where to sit each meal time - I did not like that.
Breakfast was served 7.30 - 10.30, lunch 12.30-2.30, and dinner 6.30 - 9.30 (two sittings).
You could get snacks pretty much all day. The ice creams for the children are small tubs of choc, strawberry or vanilla - children enjoyed them. You can also get sandwiches in the piano bar and pizza, nuggets, hotdogs, burgers, chicken wings, sandwiches, basic salads and fruit at the pool bar. There are food and drinks menus which clearly mark what you can and can't get under All inclusive.
The All inclusive beer was fine (according to my other half). The wine and sangria was fine as well - very drinkable. Children had water, fruit juice and fizzy drinks - no problems. You can also ask for glasses of milk - we never got charged for it.
We ate in the Italian one eve which was really lovely - it was good to be served at our table rather than picking from the buffet plus the food was served piping hot. The staff were fantastic, very friend;y and helpful. The choice was fine pasta and pizza for main and brusetta, garlic bread and salads for starter.

FACILITIES:
Pools: There are two pools in the main hotel a shallow childrens pool and a large pool with gentle sloping sides.
Yes the Brits are going to lay claim to sunbeds but there are loads so you should be able to find somewhere to sit. We usually went down after breakfast and still found a couple. If you want the shade and four beds in prime location you know the saying "if you can't beat em, join em". There is also the beach club which is not as busy as the hotel. The beach club is fab - loads of water play for the children - no matter what the age. The only negative is the bridge across to the club. Access has been badly designed - you have to walk out of the hotel down a walkway, then up a sprial sloping walkway, across the bridge, then down another sprial walkway then round the road to the club. I don't mind a bit of excercise but it hs been stupidly designed which wound me up plus it is pain pushing a pram and trying to motivate your tired three year old to do the walk whilst carrying all the rubbish you take i.e. beach towels, arm bands, buckets, balls etc etc etc.
You can get your AI drinks over there plus lunch is served there. The rubber rings are good fun - you have to hire them at a cost of 5 Euros plus a 15 Euro refundable deposit; you can use them in the wave pool and down the slides.
Try the Jacuzzi's at the beach club - bliss.
You can get free use of hotel beach towels so no need to pack your own (pack another pair of shoes instead!) You can change them as much as you like. No deposit needed but if you don't return the tickets to reception at the end of your stay you will pay 15 Euros per towel.
The hotel spa and indoor pool is lovely - great jacuzzi's and nice sauna. The gym looked good but I admired it from a distance.
There is an internet room which is reasonably priced and well equipped.
Laundrey room with washing machines, dryers, and ironing area.
Cost is 6 Euros per wash and 3 Euros per dryer.

CHILDRENS CLUBS:
I was impressed. The young people running these were great and did not seem to lose enthusiasm (even though they are doing same thing day in day out), my three year old really enjoyed going to the sessions (90 mins). There are four (maybe more) sessions to choose from a day and you can just turn up for the ones you want your children to go to. The only payable & pre-book ones are the party 10 Euros and another sweet themed one which costs 5 Euro. The creche looked fine and the girls running it were sweet but my 1 year old son didn't want to stay so kept making a run for the (gated) door.
My daugher did 5 days of 1/2 hour swimming lessons and her water confidence improved so much - I was very happy. The instructors Chris and Tom were both fantastic.

EVENING ENTERTAINMENT:
I must admit we didn't often make it past 10pm we got pretty tired and our young children and us retreated to our room so missed the adult entertainment so can't tell you what is was like. The children's entertainment i.e. a disco plus some games was good fun and I was impressed with the entertainment crew: Natalie, Tom, Darren and Philippa - some great talent between them. After the children's disco there was bingo, just one round and some decent sized Euro prizes.

OTHER:
Hotel reception staff were fine, some were pretty jaded but after having a hotel full of Brits I probably can't blame them. When we needed change of sheets (from the sickness bug) in the middle of the night they immediately sent security to our room with replacements. When we called & requested something we got it straight away.
The rep was fine, must be a busy job as it is a huge hotel. Our luggage got lost at the airport (I was distraught at the time) turns out it was on the wrong carasol. The reps came and found us at the pool a couple of hours later to say they had found it and even bought it right to us which impressed me. HOWEVER we may well have found the suitcase ourselves at the airport if the reps there were not in such a hurry to shove us onto the waiting coach.
The hotel rep did tell us some duff information about the Mirimar shopping centre in Fuengirola (the rep recommended this place but we say - DON'T BOTHER).

OUT OF THE HOTEL:
The hotel seems isolated (it is right on the boarder between Fuengirola and Bendalmena) but isn't if you make a bit of effort.
The bus stops are right outside the hotel and you can get a timetable from the reps desk. Bus drivers loosely stick to the timetable.
The beach is lovely and sandy and wasn't busy when we went there. There are 59 steps to get down but they are gentle shallow winding steps. Was a bit tiring going back up at the end of the day.
The beach club is great and feels like you are escaping from the hotel.
We went to Bendalamena marina for the day which was a good experience. Lovely shops, resturants and ice cream stands. We went to the Sea Life centre which was okay (didn't pay for the children). The beach is also nice there. Get the bus on the beachclub side of the road, it is about 1.50 Euro per adult. Get off the bus at the 24 hour Dolphin square opposite McDonalds and a big pharmacy.
When returning to the hotel get on the bus stop (outside McDonalds) which is beige with a green stripe showing route M-120.
Also went to Fuengirola on the bus (hotel side of the road).
You will know when you get there as it terminates there and everyone gets off. Lots of shops there much more of an established resort.
You get the bus back to the hotel at the same place where you got off the bus but you need to buy a ticket first at the ticket office.

We also did a trip to Gibralter which was worth the experience. It takes longer than the reps tell you to get there as the road into Gibralter gets very congested and you have to go through customs. We did a couple of hours free time shopping then a minibus tour to the rock to see the apes and the 2nd world war tunnels. This minibus tour was fab and well worth it, it was a long day for the children but they coped fine and enjoyed seeing the apes. The guide taking us through the tunnels was excellent.
To keep the price down take the shopping tour with First Choice but go up the rock on your own via the cable car. The shops in Gibralter were okay mostly electrical, perfumes, jewellery and tobacco shops (all this stuff is very cheap in Gibralter but there are limits to what you are allowed to take back through customs).

IN SUMMARY we had a really great second week in a great hotel but our first week was spoilt through the children being ill. I hope the hotel manage to shift this nasty bug.

• Liked — Easy for families.
  • Disliked — Food
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2008

Just returned from a fantastic weeks holiday at the Holiday Village. Definitely recommend all inclusive option, as hotel shop very expensive, and not much choice. The pools were brilliant, our five year old loved the water park with elephants, pirate ship, and slides. The lagoon pool was good for chilling when you drop the kids off to the kids club for fun and games.

Food generally good, with plenty of choice, although during the day brace yourselves for chips, burgers and more chips! Booze options good (thats what you're all wondering!)

Evening entertainment really good for kids, disco etc. Hope you like bingo! There is a quieter option at the piano bar, which is good for parents with older children.

Overall really impressed, staff really friendly, would definitely recommend it to friends, and will return again sometime.

• Liked — Everything was easily accessible.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Isle of Man
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2008

We arrived and had a swift check in. The rooms were great - smaller than the holiday village in Majorca but still spacious enough. The bathrooms were huge with a double sink and separate shower. The rooms were clean and the view over the pools and sea were lovely. The food was fine for an all inclusive on that scale. There was always something nice to eat and it was hot. We ate in the Mexican and Italian and I was not looking forward to it after the reports but they were lovely - particularly the Mexican. It also made a nice change being able to eat outside and be waited on. The hotel staff were mainly really nice and helpful - a couple looked like they didn't want to be there but you will get that anywhere and it didn't affect us. The pools were great especially for little ones and we have a 20 month old who loved it. The same with the beach club - it was fantastic. There is so much to do there and the restaurant for lunch is also there and is lovely. There were three things that let the holiday down. 1. The air conditioning was not good at all. It just blew in warm air from outside. 2. The evening entertainment was desparate - the reps tried hard but we ended up with a know your entertainer quiz one night talking about someones dead goldfish! The second week was a little bit better but not much. Its a shame as they had a fantastic stage area with so much potential for having a really good show. The reps could sing and dance well though which was even more annoying that they didn't do something better. 3. There was the norovirus tummy bug sweeping through the hotel like wildfire. My two children and I got it 36 hours after arriving and my husband a week later. Nearly every family we spoke to had a least one family member with it. When we left the rep told us that 120 people has the sickness bug at that time - and they were just the ones that reported it. It was a shame as it spoilt some peoples holiday. Having said the negative points there were also lots of positive ones and we had a great holiday. The weather was amazing. The pools great. Food really nice. Drink good. Spa lovely. We only left the complex once in the day and twice at night. I recommend Tivoli World and also Benalmadena. We didn't need to go anywhere else as there was so much to do. Would I return there - yes definetly. (As long as they have got rid of the sickness bug!).

• Liked — Facillities and Pools
  • Disliked — Air con, evening entertainment and sickness bug
derby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

We've got to let everyone know thats thinking of staying or have an impending holiday booked at the holiday village exactly whats in store for them.. A REALLY FANTASTIC TIME ! !

Our party of 7 consisting of 4 adultos and 3 ninos arrived, after a sort and comfortable transfer from Malaga Airport, around midday on Friday June 13 (and yes this travel date did give my partner cause for concern!) for a 2 week all inclusive stay the resort .

We had to wait circa 20 minutes as our room wasn't ready but as 4 of our party were returning for their second year at this resort it gave us a momento to have a stroll round begin to understand the array of facilities available.

Having emptied our suitcases in our more than adequately sized room we wasted no time in getting over to the beach club were 6 pools, 3 jacuzzi pools, 2 bars and large restaurant awaited us.

Each pool has its own qualities and I would say have been well designed to to ensure ninos of all ages can enjoy a paddle or a swim including adultos.

The village as 2 main restaurants and the selection and quality of the food is very good. The staff headed up by Mario (top man!)were very professional but friendly and helpful.

We didn't take advantage of the kids clubs but I can only say the in2action guys seemded to have the kids well under control but at the sametime ensuring they were really enjoying themselves with the different activities they did.

I'd only have one word of advise. Though all the staff speak adequate english, trying a little Spanish goes a long long way and really helps to cement relationships with all to staff (equipos) you speak with.

Having said all this it wasn't all smiles... I was very disappointed when we had to come home.

I'm sorry if other guests at the Holiday Village had issues but this was 100% not our experiance.

to round it we had a great time!

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — the sunbed run
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Village Hotel? Share your experiences!