“not impressed” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
dorset
“not impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Riviera is about to be closed for refurb and it is our opinion that it is not a moment too soon.Only stopped for two nights.The food was awful,some of the worst weve had in Spain.The entertainment was poor but this meant you could always get a seat.Location is luck of the draw,superb if you get a room overlooking the sea,not so good if you overlook the noisy,busy dual carriageway .Rooms were clean(but dated),Staff friendly.

Room Tip: the front of the hotel is on a very busy road.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Medplaya, Guest Relations at MedPlaya Hotel Riviera, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear todgeboy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a feedback on your recent stay at the Medplaya Hotel Riviera. We are sorry to hear there were some aspects of the hotel which did not meet your expectations. The hotel will undergo a significant refurbishment starting on November 1st and will reopen its doors on May 1st 2013. Our staff daily strives to provide the best service and to achieve the customer satisfaction.

We very much appreciate your comment and we hope we will be able to welcome you again to the hotel Riviera in the near future.

Thank you.
Kind regards,

Vanda Lehnerova
Guest Relations Costa del Sol
Medplaya.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Polish first
Pontypool
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I' ve just returned from a week spent at the Rivera, on arriving we were given the key to room 520,and were supprised to find that hour room was the only one ready at that time for new arrivals. On entering the room we were sad to find badly stained carpets, bedside lights and radio that did'nt work, and a particularly sqeeky matress on one the beds.On going out onto the balcony we noticed that our main view was over a crazy golf course, on booking the holiday I had requested a pool view. I immediately went down to reception to express my dissapointment at the room we were given. The girl on reception said that we could be put on the waiting list to transfer rooms in a couple of days..(how many were on that list I wonder?) On speaking to other guests on following days I find that many of the bedrooms have been upgraded with hardwood flooring etc.!
The general condition of the hotel is in my oppinion is worn, shabby and dated,with curtains hanging in all directions from windows,and furnishings dated and worn.
The pool area was the best part of the hotel with spectacular views, but sunbeds etc, need updating there.
There are two lifts in the hotel for rooms, which is totally inadequate especially at meal times for the size of the hotel.
The resturant is dated with plastic flowers on the tables. The food however is pretty good especially breakfasts which cater for most.( Please get rid of the dated background music though awful!!)
Entertainment in the evening is poor, usually a singer, all of whom, seem to sing the same old songs night after night!
The staff at the hotel do their best but is not enough to warrant the Rivera 4* status.

Lancaster, Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Just returned for our holiday in Benalmadena staying at the Hotel Riviera and we enjoyed every minute. This is our first visit to Benalmadena but it definitely want be the last, only been back a few days and already I’m looking to book again for next year.
After reading mixed reviews about the Hotel Riviera I didn’t know what to expect but on our arrival my mind was put at ease within minutes the staff on reception were lovely even though we arrived early our room was ready which is what you want after an early morning start, I'd email the hotel before arriving to ask if I could request a pool view room noticed that people on trip adviser had said the view for these rooms were lovely but unfortunately non were available on the day we arrived but I was told that one would be available in a few day but to be honest I couldn’t be messed and the advantage of a room on the other side is you get the late afternoon sun which is lovely after being out all day what could be better then coming back to your room and sitting on the balcony enjoying the last of the days sunshine.

Now to the restaurant again I found there were mixed reviews. I cannot fault the service or the food we both felt that the staff went out of their way to accommodate your needs, we found that we were spoilt for chose when it came to what to eat although my husband did had one gripe and that was the desserts for someone that has a sweet tooth he said that the desserts were a bit bland.

I must say our rep Gary was the best rep ever.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 509 not on the pool side but did have sun all afternoon
Southwick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I have just recently returned from 10 nights stay at the Hotel Riviera. The hotel is excellent, the staff very helpful (the rep Gary best rep ever). The whole stay was great so much so that I have already booked for Sept/Oct two week stay for next year. The hotel is being refurbished over the winter so it will be very interesting to see the changes. The only fault I could find was that apparently they do not allow kettles in the rooms. Many people did'nt know this and we ignored this anyway after all come on Riviera "We're British". Other than that it was great, lovely room, good food and just over the road were shops, cafes, bus stops and pubs. Can't wait for my next holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are shady, on the opposite side sun all day. We were in 613 a sunny room...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
dunfermline
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Have stayed in lots of hotels in costa del sol and I have to say this one, along with the las arenas, are the best. Really clean hotel with a great location and nice food. Pool area lovely. Exactly what you want from a 4 star hotel. Short transfer from airport and lots of shops around. Step straight onto beach from the gate of the hotel and stroll along to the marina for nicer shops.

We will definitely return and I have recommended this hotel to family and friends.

Room Tip: Had a room on 4th floor - beautiful view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here for a week and really enjoyed myself. I am 63 and don't consider myself old but found the hotel ideal. Wonderful food better that the last 4 star I stayed in in Tenerife. Bedroom super - wooden floor, comfy bed and a front view over the beach and promenade. Staff very friendly and helpful. The hotel is in an ideal position for the marina and I felt very safe at night when I went out. Would go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Had a week here in late August and could have stayed longer. Would definitely stay again. I was slightly worried after reading some reviews but loved my stay. We had a low room on road side of hotel, which was noisy when on the balcony, but to be honest we weren't there much. The balcony did have the sun late each evening so always got towels dry and also hair dried quick after shower! The restaurant was much better than other buffet hotels in other European hotels I have stayed in. Normally we will give up some evening meals to try the local restaurants but not here, we didn't want to miss what was on offer. The location is great, close to marina and also on right part of beach promenade to enjoy the evening stalls and cafes. The buses outside are great to get about, cheap and frequent, very easy to get about. The pool was chilly but refreshing, in need of a little freshen up, but nice too look out to sea from poolside. Bit of bed hogging goes on with the oldies getting down early to get the same bed every day! Not allowed but it happens. You can always get a bed though. Saying that you should walk on through the marina to La Caruhella beach, so lovely there with great Chiringitos. I am now converted to the charms of The Costa del Sol.

Room Tip: Being refurbished so should all be good
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Medplaya, Guest Relations at MedPlaya Hotel Riviera, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear DeeDeeinthewonderland,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback on your recent stay at the Medplaya Hotel Riviera. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments are more than welcome and greatly appreciated. Your views help us understand the needs and expectations of our customers and improve our services.

Thanks again for your sincere comment and we are looking forward to welcoming you soon again.

Kind regards,

Vanda Lehnerova
Guest Relations Costa del Sol
Medplaya.com

Been to MedPlaya Hotel Riviera? Share your experiences!