“Save yourself this is no 4 star hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Best Triton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda Antonio Machado 29, 28630 Benalmadena, Spain   |
Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in Benalmadena
Burnley
“Save yourself this is no 4 star hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just returned from a weeks holiday at the Triton 10th -17th and would never go back again. I am a frequent traveller in my 50's and this is the first time I have ever felt a need to write a 'poor review'. My friend and I arrived to find the outside and the reception area 'dated and unwelcoming' but that was nothing compared to the rudeness and ignorance of the staff. We went to our room to find old broken furniture (broken drawers, chips of furniture, stains on surfaces and the back had fallen off the bedside cabinet).The room was hot and no evidence of working air con. I attempted to call reception but the phone didn't work either !! Went to reception to find completely disinterested staff. I requested a change of rooms to be told none were available which was hard to believe as the hotel did not appear to be that full. When I persisted I was told to return the following morning I repeated this exercise for 3 days before giving up. On no occasion was I met with any interest let alone an apology for the unsatisfactory state of the room. The public areas including the pool were kept beautiful and clean and the position of the hotel is superb. The food is very good and varied and there is the opportunity to dine outside on a lovely terrace. The service is very poor and apart from one waiter we found the rest of the staff miserable and unengaging they even looked away to avoid interaction with any of the guests. The cleanliness of our room was very poor our drinking glasses were not changed all week ( we just had to keep washing them ourselves) used teacups and pots and left over milk were left from the day before ( we had to place them outside our room on the landing) one set of towels were left for 2 people the whole experience was one of complete indifference. I attempted to get a cup of tea following a night out and was told 'no room service' available. On our last night we asked the night reception for an early morning call as we had a 7 am flight he wrote it down on an impressive sheet but that was as far as our request got fortunately our alarms did not let us down as the receptionist did his response when we asked what happened to our call was a shrug of his shoulders. I always opt to stay 4star and there is no way this hotel is
a four star hotel.I am not a complaining middle aged women quite the opposite I am a happy go lucky person who enjoys life and looks on the bright side of life I have wrote this to save others from being disappointed on their hard earned holidays .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Best Triton, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
“Dear guest,

With great sadness we read on Trip Advisor your reviews regarding our hotel and by them it seems that we have failed to meet your expectations to spend a pleasant holidays.

Our task is always to find out why all these incidents have occurred during your stay and why these problems have not been solved quickly and diligently to avoid your disappointment, anyhow we’ll take all necessaries measures to prevent these kind of incidents..
We assure you that if this complaints would have made directly to the Front Desk Manager or to Management the problems have been successfully resolved .

However we appreciate your positive comments about public areas, food, garden and pools.

We deeply regret what happened and as our goal is the welfare of our customers during their stay. Thank you very much for your feedback to help us to achieve this.

We also hope that this setback will not be an impediment to welcome you once again at the Best Triton in the near future.

With our best regards.

Hotel Best Triton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at the triton for one week from the 27th june 2013. We are a family of 3(2 adults and 1 child). I have to say I booked this holiday well in advance after reading good reviews on trip advisor. A couple of months before we were due to go I read a lot of poor reviews and was naturally very worried about going to this hotel. I will now give my review of this hotel. This hotel is listed as 4star and in my opinion it should be a 3star. What I didn't know was that this hotel was built in 1961! It was one of the original hotels on the costa del sol and was probably THE place to go. When you walk into the reception area it is just like walking into a 70'S time warp!! I am sure some of the original features and decore are still there now! Although it was clean it needs a good refurbishment to look more modern. What really lets this place down more than anything is the staff. They are rude, ignorant and are really not interested in anything that you say to them. They all look like they hate their jobs. When we got to our room it was boiling hot. The air conditioning was on and making a noise but there was no cold air blowing out. We did complain but the "friendly" staff were not interested. We discovered over the course of our holiday that the air conditioning was not working in any of the rooms as hundreds of people were complaining! The weather averaged 30 degrees every day so it was really difficult sleeping at night. Getting ready to go out for dinner was also hard as it was so hot in the rooms. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis. It was buffet style and served in the main restaurant. Again there were problems. There were numerous toasters and hot drinks machines and they all kept breaking down. The hotel was full and lots of people were complaining but the staff were not interested. One of the drinks machines was spurting boiling water out towards you. The remedy for that was to chuck a table cloth on the floor in front of it and expect people to carry on using it!!! I think a lot of these problems are due to the age of the hotel and obvious lack of general maintenance.
Now I will talk about the good points. Our room was a good size with two double beds which were comfy. The room was spotless and the cleaners came every day and made beds and gave fresh bath towels etc. There was lots of wardrobe space and the bathroom had a good power shower. we had a balcony with a partial sea view and there was no noise at night. The best feature of this hotel is the grounds. The outdoor areas are beautifull. This is clearly what attracts people to this hotel(myself included). There are two big swimming pools and hundreds of palm trees in well tendered gardens. Sunbeds were plentifull and it was never a problem getting one. Walk through the gardens and there is a gate which leads directly onto the beach. The hotel is in a fabulous location. There are numerous bars and restaurants on your doorstep and the marina is only a five minute walk. We only ate breakfast in the hotel and the rest of our meals we ate out. We never had a bad meal in any of the places we ate in. We ate in the restaurants at the harbour at night and they were lovely. The views were great and so was the food. We spent most of our time by the pools or on the beach. We did a few days out. We went to the crocodile park in torremolinos. This was fab and my son and husband loved it. We went on the cablecar up the mountain and watched the bird of prey show. This was also a good day out and the views were amazing. My favourite trip was to Nerja. It was a full day trip and we had the morning in Nerja and the caves then after lunch we carried on up the mountains to the white village of Frigiliana. This was a fantastic day out and well recommended. This trip was booked through one of the local agents. Overall we had a fantastic holiday. The positives out weighed the negatives. The hotel was In a perfect location to explore benalmadena and the surrounding area. I was disappointed with the hotel and would not stay there again. It is a shame as all its problems are caused by lack of general maintenance and major attitude problems from the staff. These problems could be easily rectified. When reading recent reviews of the triton everybody is saying the same thing-so do believe what you read!!!

Room Tip: pay extra for sea view if available
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Best Triton, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear mellenhead100,
Thank you very much for your time spends on the review of our hotel. We regret that your expectations of our establishment have not been fully met. Similarly, we thank you that you have made your comments, and thanks to letters like yours, is better where we can see our weaknesses and focus all our efforts to solve them as quickly and efficiently as possible, because our main goal is the maximum satisfaction of our customers.
Kind regards

Hotel Best Tritón
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Booked very last minute ( 2days) wish had thoroughly researched hotel, but not enough time and had to take what we got.
This hotel is NEVER a 4 star, despite it's ratings. It is a good 3 star, but needs much improvement to gain 4 stars, it never ceases to amaze me how some hotels get and hold onto their star ratings in Europe.
The cost was a little under what you would expect a 4 star to be, should really have known then that things were not right, and sadly this hotel just did not measure up to a 4 star experience. Had I paid 3 star price I would have been ok, but I feel cheated and thus tagline Buyer Beware!!
The hotel looks like something out of the 60's from the outside, and not much better inside, with the reception and public areas very old, dark and really depressing, very old furniture and sadly lacking in any class at all.
Our room, we upgraded to a superior with sea view, had recently been renovated, and was a fair size with large balcony overlooking pool and sea. Shame really because room so large with very little furniture in, a missed opportunity to make it into a wow room.
I have never before in a 4 star had to pay for security box, but here we had to, such a lack of class again.
The Pool area was the only plus for the hotel, great pools and very very well kept, wish they had more parasols and monitored sun lounge abuse, thus negating having to rise at 7.30 to reserve a sunbed!!
Food was very very average for a 3 star, never reaching the standard of a 4 star hotel, staff very poor with no interaction, very blunt and never a smile!
Position is on the beach, and a stroll to the marina which was very nice.
In summary, pay only 3 star price for this hotel, do not spend more than £100 a night here otherwise you will be disappointed. will not be going back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Best Triton, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you for sending your review. We have been reading your comments and I hope that they can help us to improve our service.

Yours Faithfully.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

after returning from a two weeks holiday at the best triton on the 2 july it gives me no pleasure in writing this review,firstly I must say the hotel its self is excellent but the annex is not for the older people,we stopped in the annex and found the rooms large and clean due to a good maid,the dows side to our holiday was the restaurant the food was cold and sometimes meats not cooked properly potatoes need to be boiled a bit longer cold and hard,we had to go out for meals sometime just to fill our tummies, im not a fussy eater but eating salad for two weeks is a bit mutch,my last comment is the staff need to get a live a friendly face would go down well,

Room Tip: annex rooms are good but not for elderly
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review. It helps us to improve our service. We always try to allocate to our elderly guests in the main building, not in the annexe. For us is important to know in advance if some of our guests have this kind of problems. We will take into account your reviews about the food to adapt our restaurant service.

Yours faithfully.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Stayed here for one week in June 2013. Excellent position with bus stop outside front entrance and rear entrance straight onto promenade. Good sized rooms, excellent variety and quality of food in restaurant. Hotel caters for international clientele with notices in 6 languages. Evening entertainment geared to firstly Spanish then international visitors thus dialogue quite stilted at times. By bus, it's only 50 mins and Euro 1.20 into centre of Malaga. Benalmadena has a very attractive and busy marina. The weekend I was there, a football competition (kids up to 11-ish) was taking place on the beach in front of the hotel. Great fun.

Room Tip: DO NOT get rooms in the annexe! They are quite a walk from the manin hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind comments posted at tripadvisor. l We really loved to hear that you have enjoyed your stay in Best Triton
Best regards and see you soon!!

Hotel Best Tritón
Alderholt, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here for Christmas last year and are booked to return this Christmas. Out stay was most enjoyable we had everything that we could have possibly wanted.
The rooms were huge and very comfortable and clean as was everywhere in the hotel.
The food was enjoyable and there was a good choice, so something there to suit everyones taste.
The entertainment was good and we enjoyed the odd shuffle on the dance floor.
The staff and reception team were always very friendly and helpful.
Well what a wonderful position to be in right on the sea front. We enjoyed lovely walks right to one end of Torremolinos to the other end of Benalmadena, and the weather was fantastic even at Christmas.There are lots of local buses to take you to different resorts and also up the mountains to the village of Mijas .
Shops and supermarkets very close by for your water etc;
Looking forward to our return this Christmas so much.We enjoyed a lovely Christmas service which was held just five minutes walk along the promenade, I believe it was in the building called Beri Beri Castle opposite the Los Arenas Hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

stayed at "The Best Triton Hotel" Benalmadena with Saga Holidays in May,great location,accomodation good ,all Hotel facilities excelent,Restuarant good with variation of food something to suit all guests,lovely promenade along side clean beach.Not the happiest of staff in the resturaunt/bar,spanish clients got priority service

Room Tip: floor 7 no problems--- avoid the annexe if possible quiet a walk if poor mobility
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Best Triton? Share your experiences!