“Great hotel could improve” 4 of 5 stars

Holiday Hydros
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida del Sol P.K. 215.6, 29630 Benalmadena, Spain   |
Ranked #11 of 47 Hotels in Benalmadena
Lurgan, United Kingdom
“Great hotel could improve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

After reading the mixed reviews we approached Hotel Hydros rather reluctantly with two young kids in tow. The receptionist was fantastic and after being unhappy with a 1 bedroom apartment we got upgraded to a 2 bed which really suited us & kids. The customer service was good when requested and the staff were customer focused however I don't know if it was a poor command of English or an inability to go that extra mile. The breakfasts were poor, the choice was limited and for Spain the quality of the fruit was awfull. If we asked for omelettes we got them but were never offered them. If we asked for tea & coffee we got just that however they twigged on this morning and left a coffee plunger & pot of tea. Milk must be precious in Spain also. The pool and all areas were great. The kids had a great time and everything else was great. All in all a great holiday but this could be a great 5 * Hotel if they were customer focused and got their breakfasts right.

Room Tip: Room along roadside busy might need triple glazing.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and were checked in early and upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite - really kind of the hotel but it was not what we wanted - the 2 bedroom suite had a full sea view, some road noise and most importantly for us the sun set was not visible and there was no sun on the balcony after 3pm. The room was also very dusty - but more of that later. The hotel was busy as there was a big party and they could not move us to a suite with a pool and side sea view until the next day - but the staff were happy to do this and we moved the next day....much quieter room with warm sun on the balcony until 9pm.
Back to the dust - the hotel is very modern. Lots of glass and chrome. The cleaning was not adequate - the surfaces were wiped with a cloth rather than being polished. The hotel would be very hard to keep shiny and clean but why design something that you cannot maintain.
We stayed for 5 nights in total and the last 4 days were very quiet at the hotel. It was low season so the pool bar was not open - except for the party on the first night - for the rest of our stay the debris from the party littered the pool area - I guess it was no ones job to clean it??
Breakfast was continental and adequate - I would say the hotel wanted to limit wasted food so small quantities were put out at a time - leaving plates empty if you arrived at the wrong time. Great coffee and fresh orange juice and most mornings nice croissants and rolls - bit of a shortage of cornflakes one morning!
You will need a car - the hotel is on a large complex called Holiday World and it takes 13 mins to walk to the gate to get out of the complex. Local buses do run into Benalmadena and Fungerolia but they stop running about 8pm - a cab cost us 15euros
The hotel is probably too classy for its location and we were disappointed it was not adult only

Room Tip: Pool and side sea view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

I'm only back from a 4 night break in the Hydros Spa. After reading reviews on this particular hotel we booked it straight away thinking it was 4-5 star. Don't get me wrong it was a nice enough place but not worth the money really .
Breakfast was included in the price, selection was very poor considering we basically had the entire hotel to ourselves so the staff wernt really stressed. Couple of bits of fruit on a small plate, croissants, crusty bread, Parma ham and Brie.
Lunches were just what was left over from breakfast and very over priced.
The use of the spa ( swimming pool jacuzzi steam etc indoor) was €35 for 90 mins for both of us which we though was free. Obviously you pay for treatments if you require them.
Outside pool area was lovely
Beds were very hard no tea or coffee faculties
The constant smell of open sewers wasn't very pleasant either.
Location is either a bus ride from the bottom the road which is only €2,20 min ride or a taxi ride €12-€20 euro but buses stop quite early approx 6pm
Wouldn't be suitable for a young family but there is a swimming pool play area in the complex which costs extra to enter.
The hotel is situated on hill with a train track on one side and main road on the other.
Staff were very helpful and polite
All in all wouldn't rush back

• Stayed April 2013
Alcaidesa, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Never has a proverb been truer than the above. The Hotel Hydros is NEARLY the most wonderful hotel and spa that there is. The problem is that there is absolutely zero service. None whatsoever.

The hotel itself is a genuine "boutique" hotel. Glass elevators, stunning original interior design features and the well furnished suites with outdoor jacuzzis that are just marvellous. The spa is wonderful and is one of the best that we've ever been to.

As is usual with Spanish hotels though, it's the staff that let the hotel down. Culture differences aside, nothing was too little trouble for them. Blank stares to any request with that silly little shrug they love to do with outstretched hands accompanied with the contemptuous "not possible" phrase that most Spanish staff chant regularly almost like a Buddhist mantra! There is no porterage whatsoever. They have a neat little row of airport style trolleys and the reception staff bunched together in gossip sized groups smirk at you as you're struggling to balance your bulky suitcases onto and push by them to get to the elevators.

Most savvy business travellers already know that the very best way to secure the best possible deal AND good service when you get there is to find the very best deal and then ring the hotel and explain how you've found the suite £45 a night cheaper on this site or that site and can they match the rate? Every single major global chain in the World does and they usually publish a bold guarantee like "we guarantee you the best rate if you book with us or we'll give you......".

By making the booking directly with any hotel, you'll generally receive much better service and most importantly the best chance of an upgrade or extra amenities. Say there are two couples arriving simultaneously, who do think the hotel is going to upgrade to the last available suite? A couple arriving with a direct booking that the hotel receives 100% of the revenue from or one holding a voucher from one of these amazing super duper late deals that the hotel has sold it's unsold rooms to for just 20 or 25p in the £?

When you arrive at any hotel with one of these vouchers you WILL BE TREATED LIKE A LEPER! Aggregators (online bucket shops) are now an essential part of the hotel industry and whereas nearly every hotel uses them, every single hotel absolutely hates them because cut heavily into their increasingly strecthed margins).

Apart from of course the business geniuses at Hoteles Holiday World (owned by Grupo Peñarroya), the operator of the Hotel Hydros. We found a suite on Hotel Hydros on a well known online deals site for 110 Euros a night and that compared favourably with the hotel's "rack rate" of 180 Euros a night. I rang the hotel's reservation's department and explained that we wanted to stay at the hotel but had seen the same suite on the aggregator's site for just 110 Euros and please could they match it as we'd prefer the revenue to go all to the hotel. The famous phrase "not possible! (incidentally, officially the most commonly used English phrase/word in Spain besides "manana") was then yet again uttered. I then asked to speak to the reservations manager and explained how I'd rather give 110 Euros to the hotel rather than the 25 or 30 Euros they'd receive from the aggregtor if we went through them. I was firmly told that "It is not our policy to discount our rates at all and if you want a cheaper rate then you are welcome to book it through so and so" Let's face it, in this sunny part of the World, businessmen in general are not generally world renowned for their business acumen to say the very least, but this was the most incredible thing I've ever heard in 30 years in business!

99% of the guests were English yet no English breakfast was available (even at a price). It was a very basic continental breakfast with very Spanish style spicy meats and poor quality orange juice (obviously from concentrate) and we noticed that most guests who walked into the breakfast room took one look at the sad fare on offer and walked straight out again saying "let's go into town and get a proper breakfast". On asking the waiter if I could pay to have scrambled eggs made specially for me he looked faintly confident and said that he would try to arrange it. When he didn't come back after ten minutes I was feeling quite optimistic as he'd obviously succeeded and my beloved eggs were on their way. Pedro however returned emptyy handed after 30 full minutes and very apologetically explained that the chef couldn't find any eggs. So in this supposed 5 star hotel there was not one single egg? In the entire hotel? It's common knowledge of course that any stars can be taken with a pinch of salt in Spain as there is no central recognised authority like the AA or the RAC in the UK so that virtually every hotel in Spain is a five star hotel as they simply erect five stars next to their main sign.

The Spa was absolutely gorgeous, one of the very best that I have ever been in and the relaxation / chill room was the star attraction, closely followed by the aromatic steam room and saunas, plunge pools, hot and cold and a magnificent heated pool overlooking the Med with large stainless steel water fountains gushing out mini waterfalls.

Put a crew of polite attentive staff in and a savvy marketing manager who does deals and the around 10% occupancy that the hotel enjoyed the night we were there would shoot up to at least 80%.

There are hotels in the area that will provide ten times the level of service at half the price. If you don't mind overpaying and want to spend a romantic night with your loved one locked in the suite and using the jacuzzi, don't need room service or breakfast the next morning and enjoy wrestling with your own luggage than this is surely the hotel for you! If however you want any sort of a deal and any sort of service then avoid this hotel like the plague! DO NOT COME HERE! Far better to be found elsewhere.

Room Tip: Our tip to choose a good room is to go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I do wish that I did not have to give a negative review, but I am and I will give a full detailed account of my reasons below, If you don't have time to read all my review, read the tips below.

TIP 1. DEMAND YOUR ROOM IS READY BY 3.00PM THE STATED CHECK IN TIME

TIP 2 ASK FOR THE HOT TUB TO BE ON AND HOT FOR YOUR ARRIVAL, DON'T ASSUME IT WILL WORK (WE ARE AWARE OF TWO ROOMS WHERE HOT TUB IS NOT WORKING)

TIP 3 DON'T USE THE RESTAURANT THE FOOD WE ORDERED WAS AWFUL. THE FACT THAT IS WAS ALMOST EMPTY, SUGGESTS THAT PEOPLE DON'T COME HERE, EVEN THOUGH IT IS ADVERTISED ON THE MAIN ROAD.

TIP 4 ASK FOR A ROOM FACING THE POOL .

CHECK IN
I booked this hotel at the last minute for my parents golden wedding anniversarie.They live in Benalmedena and we planned to take them to Tolox to the spa hotel, however my father has some health issues, and needed to be close to the hospital, so we thought that this hotel would give him a treat locally for two days. The last thing we needed was hassle!!

We booked two suites, even though the suite was for four people. On arrival the hotel is very pleasant and the decor is that of a boutique hotel, although you do need a car to access it.

Check in was 3.00pm, we arrived at ten minutes past three to be told that one suite was not ready, (because a person had a late check out) We were told it would be another 45 minutes.

I expressed my dissatisfaction, because one would not expect this of a boutique hotel. We all went to one suite, and then the manager offered my parents another room that was larger and ready (room 14) I asked if the hot tub would work, because I read from another review on Trip Advisor, that their hot tub was not working., The manager assured me it was working, so after my parents unpacked, they discovered the hot tub was not working, the maintenance man tried to fix it, but given that we had already spent one hour hassled, we asked if my parents could move to the original room that was ready.

They moved again, in fairness we were given chocolates and Cava for the inconvenience, and my parents were given free spa facilities.

HOT TUB NOT WORKING IN ANOTHER ROOM (ROOM 15)

We all shared our hot tub on the first night and it was truly wonderful. However the following evening my parents tried to use their hot tub and it was cold (the maintainace man had gone home)

RESTAURANT
We decided to try the restaurant on the first night, and the food was awful. The waitress tried to be helpful, but when we asked a question about the menu, she would reply "What" pronouncing it "Vot", I appreciate that English is not her first language, however it sounded rude.

My stir fry was ok ish, my husband ordered fish which was the size of a fish finger and overpriced. My fathers food was cold, but he didn't tell us until the following day.

My mother had ordered cod with pork scratchings, but the scratchings were missing. We called the waitress over, who spoke to the chef she then told us that there were none left, so he had replaced it with one asparagus. (no apology when it was presented) I fail to see the similarity in pork scratchings and asparagus!

The restaurant is beautiful and has a sea view, its decor is not unlike the bar and tea room in the Al berg in Dubai, but the fact that it advertises locally and was very empty illustrates that it is not popular.

We can honestly say that the food was the worst in Benalmedena that we have ever had , and we have visited many restaurants over the past 10 years. I refused to sign the bill and asked to see the manager, but the manager never came to see us . My request was ignored. Needless to say we didn't eat there again. On check out we were not offered a reduction for the meal, and our dissatisfaction was dismissed.

BREAKFAST

Its ok, we enjoyed ours, but if you have been to other boutique hotels, you may be a tad disappointed. Its not a cooked breakfast. We knew this though.
SPA

The SPA is fabulous, the outside pool is great and the double sun beds are superb. The ambience is what you would expect off a boutique hotel.

STAFF

All the staff appear to try hard, and they did make efforts to try to compensate for the late check in and hot tub failures. They allowed me to decorate a table for my parents at breakfast and we were given a glass of cava. A special thanks to Patricia, who appeared genuinely sorry for the errors. She was a sweetheart.

TIP
Ask for a room overlooking the pool, or directly facing the sea. Our rooms were at the opposite side of the pool, and didn't get afternoon sun

OVERALL VIEW
When this is a short break and a boutique hotel, everything should be working and your room should be ready at 3.00pm. Because when the hot tub does work, we had a fabulous time. Time is valuable, and should not be wasted getting a room with working facilities. We don't want hassle, and Cava and chocolates don't compensate for hassle. Especially if you are unwell, like my father is.

I would go back again for the room, which is lovely and request that the hot tub was turned on and working before accepting the room.

To be truthful who wants to moan when they should be having the time of their lives. I hope that my review helps others to ensure that they have a memorable time, and memorable for the right reasons.

Room Tip: One opposite the pool, with a working hot tub
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We have just returned from a 4 night break at the fabulous Holiday Hydros (literally last night at 2am!) and wanted to write a massive thank you to the hotel. We are a couple in our late 20's and both regularly travel for both work and pleasure so we are pretty experienced travellers! We chose the Holiday Hydros initially for the location and also the hot tubs but the hotel surpassed our expectations on every level.

Firstly some info on the area and location; it is fairly isolated so if you like walking 2 minutes to bars/restaurants etc - this isn't for you. But if, like us, you enjoy a pleasant 15 minute stroll along the beach to find cute local bars and restaurants, then you'll love it! The hotel is part of the Holiday World complex which has 3 large All Inclusive hotels (Palace, Village and Polynesia) and then this little boutique treasure. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the entrance of the resort (or there is a frequent shuttle bus service) and then you can either walk right, along the beach to Fuengirola (where there are bars and restaurants) or left, to Benalmadena. There is a bus stop right outside the entrance to the resort and the 120 will take you to Malaga, Benalmadena or Fuengirola. It costs 1,85 euros per person. In Benalmadena marina you will find a great selection of really nice bars and restaurants in a great setting (think Marbella but on a smaller scale!).

At the hotel itself there is a gorgeous restaurant which is open to the public and very popular - great food with a twist, fantastic ocean views and very kitsch designer decor. We upgraded to Gourmet All Inclusive one day for 56,50 euros per person and it was definitely worth it. Lunch and dinner are taken from the a la Carte menu with all drinks (including cocktails etc) included. Breakfast is already included however this is Continental and would possibly be the only area I would say that could be improved however it is a very minor issue. I only say this as a couple of days there was a few gaps eg with the fresh fruit and jams etc but a quick word with the girl on duty and this was rectified. There are 28 suites at the hotel, all with hot tubs on the balcony and fantastic views. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite with both ocean and pool views. The decor throughout the hotel and carried on into the suites was fabulously kitsch and designer with electic art and unusual objet d'art dotted around. The beds were very comfortable and the air con a treat after a long, hot day around the pool!

The outdoor areas consisted of an unusual shaped pool with a couple of sunloungers dotted around, pool bar with comfy trendy rattan sofas and then 8 gorgeous cabanas. I felt like a celebrity reclining on my cabana! Amazing views. There is a great spa inside which had loads of treatment areas such as steam room, sauna, relaxation area, hydrotherapy pool, jacuzzi etc. This costs 30,00 euros per person but is included in the Gourmet All Inclusive package (when you stay a week, although we negotiated to include this within the 1 day package). Very relaxing. At the entrance to the resort is the beach club - this is complimentary if you're on All Inclusive but 6,00 euros per person if not. There are several pools, wave pools, slides etc with sunloungers and a bar. There isn't a huge amount of shade by the wave pool though so beware! Rubber rings can be hired for a fee. There are no beach towels at the club so take your own from the hotel. Great little club especially for families.

But the area where the hotel excelled was the staff - they were ALL without a doubt, fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble for them, they were attentive and friendly without being intrusive and they were always available. We had a little trouble with our hot tub staying warm in the evening however a quick call to reception and they would come straight up and fix the issue without any fuss. Very impressed.

All in all we have had a memorable trip which I will never forget thanks to the wonderful family at Holiday Hydros. Thank you for making this holiday so special for us x

Room Tip: Request a pool view - these get the sun all afternoon on the balcony plus they're in a quieter l...
Ferring, West Sussex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We chanced upon this lovely hotel whilst searching for a place for a week's holiday in Benalmadena. We had a lot of trouble finding the hotel, as the road down to the coast road from the AutoPista is not well sign-posted, either coming or going, but as soon as we arrived we received a very warm welcome.

The hotel is very modern - only two years old, and the glass lifts, see-through stairs, and modern yet comfortable furniture oozes class. The hotel shares space with three other hotels on a huge secure park called "Holiday World". There is security on the entrance to ensure that only guests can access the hotels. We visited all of the hotels during our stay - the other three were all family oriented and mainly all-inclusive. There is a beach club at the bottom open to guests free of charge, with wonderful pool and sporting facilities for children. However, being on a complex has its downside.....

Our room had a sitting area with sofa, TV, coffee table, sideboard, a large wardrobe, and a unit with a safe and minibar in it. The bed room had two queen size beds side by side and ample wardrobe space. The bathroom was well equipped, with one of the best showers I've ever experienced, a large bath, toilet, two basins and a bidet. Outside, on the balcony, the piece de resistance - a spotlessly clean hottub, set to 37 degrees and gently fizzing away.

Outside the hotel, a beautiful angular pool was surrounded by sunbeds and chairs, and eight balinese double sunbeds with curtains around them. These were great to sunbathe on, and the curtains could be adjusted as the sun went round, although some of the curtain fittings were missing and not in good order. There is a bar and ornamental water features, and large sun umbrellas to use, so plenty of shade.

At night, I have to say the complex is quite noisy, and there is little to do in the hotel itself. There is a bar, but mostly empty. The restaurant served a decent continental breakfast with some cooked options, but we found the menu, which aspires to culinary artistry, to be a bit pretentious. As a result, the restaurant was empty most nights. We had a car, so we could go out to eat, but had we not had the car we would have struggled to amuse ourselves. The other hotels were also quite noisy with family shows in the evening, and did not present good options for alternate places to eat.

Staff were generally good; although a couple of the waiting staff were a bit sullen, the othrs made up for it. The cleaning standard was very high.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, and plan to return, but maybe not for a a full week next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool as these are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Hydros? Share your experiences!