“Good budget hotel, stay away from the food!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Vista de Rey

You added Vista de Rey to your Saves list
Vista de Rey
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Guadalmedina s/n | Urbanizacion Torremuelle, 29630 Benalmadena, Spain   |
Ranked #31 of 47 Hotels in Benalmadena
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good budget hotel, stay away from the food!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed here in June with my boyfriend, we stayed half board as we didn't have much money to take for spending money and thought eating in would be cheaper. However, we were disappointed with the breakfast when we came down in the morning, a cold buffet of meat, cheese and bread. no hot choice. but still edible. Then evening meal came and it was awful, we were unsure what some of it was and there was very little choice. So we ended up eating out a lot more than we intended to!

However, the room we had was amazing it was on the end of the hotel and had two balconies. So we had sun all day round. The room had a kitchen with basic cooking utensils, pots and pans. The pool area was nice and clean and also quiet the majority of the time. Our room was cleaned twice during the week but we didn't mind really. The walls were slightly thin and the television next door kept us awake a couple of the nights.

The hotel is across the road from the train station as without this we would have felt slightly trapped as it is in the middle of residential area. the beach is a 15 min walk away with a small supermarket and one bar on the way. We did walk to Benalmadena one evening and took us about 40 mins. Whereas the train is only 3.40 euros return and takes about 5mins and takes you to the centre which is then about a 20 min walk to the sea front.

I would recommend this hotel for only self-catering and only if you want to be away from a busy area.

Room Tip: ask for one on the end of the hotel, we stayed in 221.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
London, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I read all the reviews on Tripadvisor before booking. I was after somewhere quiet and easy to get to and this seemed ideal given its location by the train station (€1.95 from the airport) and lack of any attractions or things to do in the immediate vicinity.

I had requested a room on one of the upper floors as I was travelling alone. They made a note of this and mentioned it when I checked in and I was given 317 on the top floor.

As others have said, the British supermarket, Kwik Save, is less than 5 mins walk (downhill there and uphill on the way back). It had freshly baked bread every day but very limited fresh fruit and veg. Instead it mainly had cans, bottles and packets. I tried to use the other local Spanish supermarket once but it was shut. (Not sure if its shut down permanently, or just the day I went.) I also caught the train one stop along to Benalmadena (€3.40 return from Torremuelle) and went to a Spanish supermarket, Super Sol, about 5 mins walk from the station. Infinitely better than Kwik Save with lots of local produce and Spanish items - and also cheaper!

I was self catering so didn't try any of the food provided by the hotel. Other guests complained about the terrible breakfast and dinner options, and they also had a woman come in everyday around lunchtime who would run the bar and serve a rather unappetising menu of chips, burgers, kebabs etc.

Some points to note that didn't pick up in other reviews:

ROOMS

317 was absolutely fine and the kitchen was better than I expected and even included a microwave although I didn't use it.

Balconies of rooms 316 to 321 get full afternoon sun. In July, this made it too hot to sit outside from about 2pm - 7pm as they are quite sheltered, although 321 has a second balcony on the other side of the room which would be shaded.

301 to 308 get the morning sun and balconies are shaded in the afternoon (same with 201 to 208).

314 and 315 and the same rooms on the floor below, 214 and 215, as well as the ground floor rooms 115, 116, do not have a sea view as they are set back slightly. In my opinion they would be the worst rooms to have on any floor, with the worst of all being 115 as the reception staff stand outside here to smoke.

Ground floor rooms have zero privacy. They open right onto the pool and bar area and those nearest the pool have sun loungers are about two metres from the sliding doors.

ATMs

There are no ATMs in Torremuelle so if you need to withdraw cash you have to go to Benalmadena. Not an issue but something to beware of so that you arrive with at least a few euros in your wallet.

SUNSHINE/SUNBATHING

The way the hotel has been constructed, in a horseshoe shape with the pool and bar/courtyard area in the centre means that the pool area doesn't get sun until around 11am (in early July), and even then only one side gets the sun for at least an hour or two until the sun is directly overhead. This was something I had not realised till I arrived and given my itinerary consisted of sunbathing, reading and more sunbathing it was a bit frustrating.

NOISE

This hotel can be quiet, although this depends entirely on the other guests.

For the first half of my stay it was pretty peaceful, people chatting amongst each other but not too much noise. Then a group of around 10 or so young Brits arrived. Unfortunately it seemed the whole point of their holiday was to get drunk. Towards the end of my holiday I was sitting next to the some of the group at the pool one morning and they were having a conversation on how drunk they were the previous evening and how one of them had came back from the bar and up all over his suitcase!).

Between them they took 4-5 rooms and would shout across to one another, from their balconies and make weird monkey sounding noises. On my last night there, they stayed up drinking and singing loudly (and very off-key) which carried on until around 2am. After finally getting to sleep I was then woken up at 4am another group came back to the hotel and two of the girls proceeded to have a shouting match on their balcony. At least two thirds of the other guests at the hotel came out onto their balconies to find out what on earth was going on - and to tell them to shut up.

If the loud group hadn't arrived my stay would have been pretty enjoyable. However I wouldn't go back and would want to warn others before booking, just in case they are hoping for peace and quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as a party of 3 for a long weekend at beginning of July.
Our first impression was good, a helpful gentleman checked us in & gave us the option of a room on either the lower or upper floor. We chose lower since this meant our patio door opened up right at the pool. The room was nicely furnished, the kitchen area perfect for self catering & the only initial downside was the hotel had omitted to make up the 3rd bed.
Things went downhill... the breakfast in the gloomy basement was awful. There was no bread or rolls at all on our first morning & it required a trip up to reception for basic food to be put out. The fruit came from tins, the fruit juice was like diluting juice & most tables were left with dirty cups/plates etc as there were no staff clearing up. We decided to avoid dinner in view of the poor quality of breakfast, despite being half board. If you are self catering, the supermarket is only a couple of minutes walk downhill.
During our 4 day stay, our room was never cleaned once. The staff at reception gave the impression you were interrupting them if we asked them to call a taxi, mind you the fact they doubled for serving at the bar or the pool bar or were outside having a cigarette break didnt help.
This hotel is situated opposite the railway station, in a residential area on the outskirts of Benalmadena. A taxi to the marina is 10€, or there is a busstop 10 mins walk where 3€ would get you to the main strip.
One final point, the pool is very small considering the number of rooms & there is also not enough sunbeds.

• Stayed July 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is beautifully small and situated in a quiet area with only one supermarket near and a secluded beach.
The hotel was clean and the staff were very helpful. We stayed for 10 days and the rooms were cleaned 3 times, more towels are needed in the bathroom as I had to use a hand towel on my head!!
Train station right outside very very handy if you wanted to go somewhere livelier.
Pool area very nice and quiet and the pool is just the right size.
Unfortunately the food was disgraceful I have never seen anything like it. We booked half board to try save some money but were shocked when we went for breakfast the first morning. Hard rolls and bread, ham, plastic cheese and tinned fruits is the only choice. Oh must forget the boiled eggs! Tea time was even worse the first night we went down I had a choice of chicken nuggets and chips or cold pasta! We ended up eating out most of the time until we ran out of money and had to force ourselves down to the dungeon and eat it!
Overall I really liked this hotel. I would come back but I certainly would not be paying half board!

• Stayed July 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at the Vista De Rey for 8 nights recently as a family group.
The rooms were the best part of the place. They were spacious, clean and modern. The balcony was a decent size and the kitchen area was nice. We stayed on the 1st floor. Looking at the rooms on the 2nd floor, a lot of them got the sun, during the day so if that's your thing - try and go for a room on the floor.

Downstairs the pool area was clean. The pool bar was acceptable. Reasonably price food that was cooked there (not heated up the microwave stuff) but proper toasties and kebabs. Beer on tap, cocktails and soft drinks. All good so far.
Inside there was a little cafe style area with snacks and coffee. They have cans of beer in the fridge that you can get into the early hours of the morning when the pool bar closes.

Now the downside. The food in the dining room was terrible! Dinner time was food was usually chips, salad, fish and pork. If you are vegetarian you will struggle. It had a rather 'school dinners setup' look to it. There wasn't a waiter to greet you. You find a seat and go up to the buffet and try your best to find something you like. There were no drinks on offer either (we sneaked some water down in a bag). Occasionally a member of staff would pop round to replenish the food. I would recommend to go down early at 7pm for dinner - at least you get more of a choice going down early.
Breakfast was even worse. Hard bread, ham, cheese, warm milk. No cooked breakfast. Enough said. We only did breakfast 3 out 8 days. I would highly recommend the supermarket down the street from the hotel. English run and has a little cafe in it that does an excellent cooked breakfast.

Onto the general area. It was quiet. You are not in a busy resort here, so just remember that. There is a supermarket a 5 minute walk away along with a nice English bar called Le Chique. Only 2 euros a pint in this bar. Further walk there was a couple of spanish restaurants. Along the bay there was a very nice bar on the beach called the Malibu beach club. Lovely to sit and have a sangria.
The hotel is right next to the train station aswell, so you are only about 3.40 euro return to Belamadena. The train service is very good. Cheap and always on time.
I would also point out, don't bother with a coach transfer to the airport. It's not far away and it took us ages as we were the last drop off. Get the train!

All in all the Vista De Rey wasn't bad, but the half board food in the dining hall must be improved! Self Catering better.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd floor for sun.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for on week from 18th June. We found it to be clean and the rooms were airy and large. We had a ground floor studio apartment. Beds were comfortable. Linen changed every 3 days. TV only had 2 English channels but that didn't worry us as we were not on holiday to sit and watch the box. In the bathroom there was a bath with shower over. The kitchen area was clean and adequate for our needs. There was a kettle, toaster, coffee maker, microwave fridge and 2 ringed hob. We really only used the kettle and fridge as we didn't intend to do any cooking and enjoyed eating out somewhere different each evening. The pool was adequate for a quick dip to cool off, but not big. There were plenty enough sun loungers, but we had to move around the pool during the day as one side became shaded and we wanted to make the most of the sunshine. This wasn't a problem though. Staff were very friendly and obliging. We only ate breakfast in the hotel which was served in a room downstairs in the basement. It was adequate, but not much variety if you were there for more than a few days: choice of cereals, toast machine, jam, ham, cheese, fruit juice, tea and coffee. No hot food apart from toast, so if you are in self catering...buy your own bacon to cook yourself in your room lol.
The hotels location had good and bad points. It is on the very outskirts of Benalmadama and there is not much around. There is one restaurant just down the hill, but you have to go further afield for more choice...or any sort of entertainment On the plus side...the metro station is right outside the hotel and was brilliant for getting around the resorts nearby. It was not noisy at all!!! During our stay we went to Torremolinos, Fuengirola and Malaga easily on the metro...fantastic. We also went to Mijas by getting the metro to fuengirola then a short bus ride up in the mountains. Well worth a visit...typical old Spanish village with a host of hidden shopping streets...a real jewel. We also went to Marbella by metro then bus. We found it really safe and easy to get around....and cheap. We visited some markets and although you have to be careful, didn't feel too pressured by overbearing stallholders. A nice place to visit in benelmedina is Paloma Park...completely free of charge and has animals and you can see just roaming around i,e, rabbits, birds, emu, turtles. Anyway...hope this is helpful........oh and the Marina is beautiful.

Room Tip: we had the end corner room on edge of the pool and as well as the poolside patio area, there was ano...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I did my homework about this hotel on Tripadvisor before I booked.
When I arrived at Vista De Rey it was exactly as advertised on Travel Republic. The apartment was spacious and clean. I was travelling alone and said I had originally requested top floor and this is what I was given.
I had opted for self catering and everything was there that I needed. Microwave with grill, ceramic hob, full size fridge, toaster etc. Very modern.
My room was cleaned and the bed linen changed every 3 day's.
I had a large balcony that overlooked the pool and also had a sea view. The rear view was also very nice, overlooking the road and also the sea.
As has been mentioned before in previous reviews, the train station is on the doorstep of the hotel which is very convenient for travelling cheaply to other resorts. This really suited me as I wanted to stay somewhere that was reasonably quiet but enabled me to get around easily.
I did not hear any noise from my neighbours other than door slamming which goes on in any other hotel.
The pool was of a medium size and clean and there were plenty of sun beds.
I would have no hesitation in returning to this hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Vista de Rey? Share your experiences!