“A work in progress -- comfortabe & friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Scottish Inn Merkel
9800 I-20, Merkel, TX 79536   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Merkel
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“A work in progress -- comfortabe & friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

Deferred maintenance evident; apparent water and other damage but clean. Very comfortable king bed w/ good sheets. In-wall AC/heat controls worn off, but unit functioning well. Good shower with well-placed sturdy grab bar. Owned by a friendly and helpful Polish couple. Flat screen TV in lobby is okay but very poor picture on room CRT. Overall we expect more for $65 + 15% tax. The continental breakfast could be omitted. There is an adjacent restaurant serving an excellent hot breakfast.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Clean rooms at a decent price and a friendly owner. Nice to have a restaurant adjoining the motel too. A very handy stopover point.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Woodstock, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We stopped at the Scottish Inn just west of Abilene on I-20 and we couldn't have chosen a better place to stop. The rooms were large, clean and very reasonably priced and even had a swimming pool. The on-site restaurant provided us with a great breakfast and dinner without having to go back on the road. Andy and Elizabeth were very gracious hosts and we will stop ther whenever we are driving through.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

I stayed at this motel for 3 weeks on business in January. Merkel is a small town in Texas with a population of 3000 max, so I imagine this place caters to people traveling through on the I-20. If you are expecting the Ritz, then stay in Dallas. If you are looking for a clean place to stay that will leave you feeling refreshed in the morning, this motel works. The Scottish Inn is family run by nice, hospitable and helpful people. My first impression: When I flew into Abilene at 8:30, my luggage was lost. Long story short, my luggage arrived 11 o'clock to the front desk and the owner personally brought it to my room.

I stayed for 3 weeks. I worked out of my room and they didn't mind it a bit when I rearranged some furniture to accommodate my equipment. (I didn't trash the place or anything). Though I consider myself a tidy person, the room always looked cleaner after the maids came through. (I opted not to have my room cleaned everyday since I was working in the space and needed time to work- every other room was cleaned daily). They always made sure I had new towels, even when I insisted that I could keep the same ones because I was essentially living out of the place. The curtains really blocked out the light; since I was working some weird hours and sometimes slept during the day, this was helpful.

But the reason I'm writing this review (a few months later) is the owners/staff. Andy and his team are extremely hospitable. They are friendly and will try to answer whatever questions you may have about the area. If you need something, they will try to accommodate you. I know they took over this motel from someone else awhile back and they are working hard to improve it. They really do care about your business, which in this day and age feels rare.

Downside or upside, depending on how you look at it: they are right next to the freeway. You can hear freeway noise, but you can also hear the sound of the Texas wind which is loud and you can't do anything about either.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

Every time I am passing through Merkel on my truck route, I choose to stay here. Very convenient location and plenty of truck parking so it is not a hassle to park my big rig. I felt like I was at a resort. The employees are very friendly. The place was very clean and the rooms were priced great. Food at the restaurant was delicious. Location is great for vacation and sight seeing for tourists too.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

My production company recently shot a film outside of Merkel, and the Scottish Inn was our home base. The owners, Andy and Elizabeth, went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and comfortable.
The rooms are well outfitted with microwaves, coffee makers and coffee, a refrigerator and cable tv. Each has a sitting area in addition to the comfortable beds.
If you want a great cheap stay with amazing hospitality, go to the Scottish Inn.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

I recently stayed at the Scottish Inn in Merkel and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of attention I received from the Management. The husband and wife in charge were two of the nicest people I have ever met. I was stranded in Merkel due to a snow storm, but from the time I stepped into the lobby, my mind was immediately at ease. I cannot stress enough how highly I would recommend this hotel to anybody.

Also, be sure to check out the adjoining cafe. Delicious, home-cooked food.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Been to Scottish Inn Merkel? Share your experiences!