“Down home country food!” 5 of 5 stars

325-928-1039
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Merkel
Cuisines: American
Description: Merkel is about 15 miles west of Abilene, Texas on Highway 20.
Description: Merkel is about 15 miles west of Abilene, Texas on Highway 20.
Houston, Texas
“Down home country food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Even on their busiest weekend, the Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup, this restaurant staff showed true grit when faced with an overwhelming challange. Due to sheer customer volume this restaurant sold out of several items but service help continued with true country charm. The food was excellent and that is probably why it sold quickly. We would like to try this place again when it's not so busy, I'm sure it's a fine restaurant.

Visited March 2012

“Not quite Varsity, but worth a try!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

My husband and I are on a Varsity adventure. Our Varsity team is made up of four people, this spring break we split into two adventures. Varsity II is headed to ski and Varsity I is on a scouting trip... We're Varsity I - our goal is to find new places to see and visit again, that's what brought us to Skeet's.

Was it up to Varsity standards? Not quite, but it was good and we would recommend trying it out. My husband loved the southern fried cornmeal breaded fish - reminded him of his aunt's cooking when he was a young boy. I had the Santa Fe hamburger - good, but not the best I've every had...

There were issues with the cooks in the kitchen, we don't know the whole story... We never saw our onion rings and we were looking forward to trying them out.

We would definitely give them a second chance - everyone has a bad night sometime in their life... The room was full of locals which indicates that it is a good place to eat...

Skeet's didn't make the Varsity top ten list, but beats stopping at a chain restaurant!

"A Varsity experience is the thrill of the open road, the adventure of the 'morrow - VARSITY HO!"

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
TEXAS
“Sweetwater, Merkel, Abilene”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Just plain ole good West Texas food, decent service. The fact that they continue to expand says it's pretty good.

Abilene, Texas
“Great Onion Rings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

They have some of the best onion rings I've ever had. I usually eat a hamburger. The rolls need to be replaced with another type and the salad is some lettuce with one little tomato.

“Great family cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Nothing bad on the menu that I have ever tried. It's a little family-type diner, and while they don't have 5-star furnishings by any means, it's clean and friendly and the food is top-notch and the service was great.

Visited February 2012