Went skiing in the second week of the Easter holiday with two daughters who had never skied before. Our kids really came on with their skiing and i'm sure that had a lot to do with the excellent Esprit childcare staff helping out alongside the traditionally surly French ESF instructors. The weather was interesting, with an unseasonal mix of heavy snow and glorious sunshine, but the result was that we had some absolutely perfect powder conditions at times as well as some slush at others. Overall, the skiing was very good even if the most immediately available runs were a bit easy and might bore better skiers. This is very much a place for family skiing.
In terms of the hotel, we really can not say enough good things about the staff and the location but we were still left with the abiding impression that this is a three star hotel not the four star hotel it claims to be. There are quite a few little things that could and should improve to really hit the standards that one would expect for the money. These include:
- proper beds in both rooms in the suites (our double bed in Room 405 was a glorified sofa bed that had seen better days and was desperately uncomfortable as both parties rolled into the sagging middle);
- toiletries in all bedrooms (really surprised there weren't any)
- wifi in rooms, please
- wifi that does not require a fresh webpage login every time
- breakfast hot food served on hot plates, please, so that it is not cold when it arrives
- a warmer swimming pool (to be fair, it was warm at the start of the week but never recovered after presumably being drained following a "sanitation incident")
- better "free" wine (please bear in mind that we have paid for this in the whopping great holiday price so we expect to be drinking better than EUR5 wine; if you must, charge EUR 50 per head more for the holiday and spend EUR 10 per head more per night so that we don't have to drink this de-icer any more)
- lighter, healthier options on the food and more use of local specialties (we do not need 3 course of really heavy, stodgy comfort food every night - though I should say that we were pleasantly surprised to see that some of it was really well cooked, eg perfectly pink lamb and venison)
Overall, we had a really good time but there are some easy wins that would make it even better next time.
- Also Known As:
- Des Deux Domaines Hotel