“Who says you need children to enjoy a Mark Warner Holiday!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chalet Hotel Christina

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Macot-la-Plagne
Chalet Hotel Christina
You added Chalet Hotel Christina to your Saves list
La Plagne, Macot-la-Plagne, Aime, France   |
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Macot-la-Plagne
Preston, United Kingdom
“Who says you need children to enjoy a Mark Warner Holiday!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Having taken our first Mark Warner Holiday at San Augustino Greece Last summer were we was very well looked after by George,the hotel manager and his team, So much so we booked our Christmas week Holiday with them just hoping another hotel could live up to the samehigh standards,

Well let me tell you, Jen, her team and resort really exceeded all our expectation, Although the hotel was small in comparison and on arrival we started to worry we would not be able to escape a load of screaming kids we could not have been further from the truth. The hotel was quite with plenty of area's to relax throughout the Day if not skiing, If you do have Children its great to see some of the same staff in the child care team from Greece (Hi Abby!!) even though we had no children with us the feed back from other Parents was great and when you do see the children they are always well looked after enjoying themselves, So well done Charlotte and the Childcare team.

The Bar staff were great and friendly ( hope Becca is feeling better from her accident)
All the food was good could possibly do with a bit more choice but what we did order was good.

All in all it would seem that Mark Warner really have got thing right and truly understand that the secret behind a good company is great staff! Well done and we look forward to many more holidays with Mark Warner

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I have been going to this Hotel with my friend every year for , the last 5 years, every year it gets better. the staff are so helpful, The Hotel Manageress seems to improve them each year, this year the rooms were immaculate the staff of cleaners well supervised, nothing is to much trouble, the food beautiful and plenty full, and restaurant is well run, I had a problem 1 evening and although I had no kids with me the boss of Child care sorted it out,
Lunch was usually eaten in Skotty's Bar attached to the Hotel excellent value, the Apres ski is amazing the Manager there seems to create an atmosphere you don't find elsewhere.
Marvelous cant praise the place enough, I'v penciled it into my diary for next year already.
The snow this last 2 years has been excellent this is a ski in ski out resort I literally skied back to the Hotel Doors, the nearest lift 50 meters.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms ion this Hotel look out onto the Piste.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Holyhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

If you want luxury accommodation, fine dining etc, you wouldn't choose Mark Warner. But if you want great on-piste location, close to ski school, child/family friendly, relaxed and friendly then this hits the spot. Stayed in Christina w/c 13th Jan 2013 with my husband and 9 year old daughter. Yes, there is some noise at night with piste bashers/Scotty's - but nothing that caused us any real disturbance. Large room with three beds & balcony overlooking the piste was a little tired etc but was clean & tidy, good en-suite (sounded like most en-suites had recently been done up) - you spend so little time in your room whilst skiing, do you need anything more? What really made the holiday for us was the staff - really friendly & helpful, nothing too much trouble. We didn't have need of childcare, but after the first night our daughter decided that high tea with her new-found friends followed by film club at 7.30pm, was far more fun than sitting with us for dinner. Staff really flexible, so they were happy for her to chop & change. All childcare ladies that we saw, and who looked after children in film club, were lovely. Surprised at how many guests (many of which were repeats) were there without children - all seemed to be enjoying the relaxed, social atmosphere. You can decided whether to dine alone in the evening or join another table - we chose to do the latter each evening and met some lovely people over the course of the week. MW use Oxygene for ski hire and ski school - great service, and skis delivered to hotel for you :) My husband also booked a private lesson with Oxygene - v. reasonable compared to other ski schools and a great lesson - he was really impressed. All in all had a great week. Will definitely be repeating the experience.

Room Tip: To keep noise disturbance to a minimum, ask to be on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I *was* a loyal Mark Warner customer, this being my 4th skiing holiday with them. When I find something that works I tend to stick with it, but sadly Hotel Christina in Plagne Centre has just let me down massively.

The worst aspect was the noise in & around the hotel every night. No sleep possible before 1am most nights, then disturbed sleep between 1am-6:30am, and then woken again at 6:30am.

The main culprit is "Scottys Bar". Be warned it is NOT "next door" as described, it is directly underneath the hotel and the noise travels right up into the building. The bar faces the slopes so any bedroom with a slope-side balcony (most of them) will get the full brunt. Don't get me wrong I've nothing against people enjoying 'apre ski', but for 5 of the 7 nights we experienced groups of 20-30 'brits abroad' larger louts hanging around outside shouting, top of their voice drunken singing, and language & swearing to make any respectable person cringe (let alone wanting your kids to hear). By midnight the staff did come out yelling for the noise to be kept down, but they were largely ignored and drowned-out with chanting etc. Scottys Bar do have a 'Facebook' page so you can see the 'events' that they put on. (I gather that the Scottys Bar is commercially linked to Mark Warner). The bar is open until 1am EVERY NIGHT. Live Music & entertainment often STARTS at 10pm. Sorry Mark Warner this is NOT COMPATIBLE with your 'Family-Friendly Hotel'

The noise transmission within the hotel itself is also an annoyance, every baby cry, sneeze, toilet flush, doors closing during the night can be heard. Then at 6:30am noise from the kitchens (we think) starts up, a most weird scrapping noise like dragging furniture across wooden floors. For an added 'bonus' on the last day the early flights leave the hotel at 5:30am, which is when the staff start cleaning rooms - vacuuming, moving furniture, banging balcony doors toilet flushing etc, regardless that 8:30am transfers still want another 2 hours sleep in the next room.

Being slope-side I expect a piste-basher to prepare the piste for a while during the evening. But a word of warning though, the hotel is on the main route in/out from 'basher-base' so there is a regular stream of them to & fro, they all go past the hotel from late evening and early morning.

This hotel is promoted for children, and there were a lot of children/babies/toddlers. My children were with me too, but I hope they imposed on nobody. However the same cannot be said for others: kids faces literally in the breakfast serving bowls (fruit/cereals), hands all over food and then put back, food thrown over the floor. Not particularly Mark Warner's fault, but really self-service hygiene could be improved vastly with proper serving counters.

Ok, now for the better stuff. The staff were helpful & friendly. The resort itself is one of the best, ideal for 'blue' piste lovers. Access around the different villages is easy, fast & efficient with loads of modern lifts. We didn't queue at all, all week. Other than 'noise' issues, the rooms are adequate, basic but clean & tidy - as much as I expect and typical for Mark Warner. Transfers from Grenoble airport were quick and comfortable with not too much hanging around, the transfers are direct so no dropping-off at other hotels/resorts which you get with some other companies.

Mark Warner will organise your lift passes, ski-hire and lessons for you but we found them slightly more expensive than organising on-line direct with the various suppliers.

BTW Lift passes are available for "La Plagne only"; "Discovery" which adds a day in Les Arcs; or "Paradaski" unlimited to the whole area. "Discovery" is more than ample for recreational skiers, it's nice to visit Les Arcs, but in six days I doubt you would want to go more than once (and beginners wont ever make it so I wouldn't bother with more than La Plagne/Local passes). Lessons this year were through Oxygene, who seem really good and are based close-by. Mark Warner also use Oxygene for equipment hire, although we arranged cheaper through "Intersport" ("Twinners" is actually closest to the hotel).

And now to the other major disappointment of our week. Food. For my previous Mark Warner trips food has been a highlight, this time it really wasn't up to scratch. The menu was the normal choice of 3 options for each of three course (desserts always being ice creams, cheese board plus "one other"). Between our family we had a range from the options every night, none were wonderful. Vegetables were very lacking (sometimes none at all, others no more than a smear of a puree). With some of the meals there were no rice or potato accompaniments. It seems the menu was trying to be too cleaver, like somebody had just watch a series of 'Masterchef', but with no real skill to back it up. Undercooked, overcook, over runny, dry, odd flavour combinations, soggy, the occasional 'yuk' - we had it all. Sorry Chef, it's just not cutting-it, 4 or 5 weeks into the season it should be good/excellent by now. Obviously cooks/chefs may change during the season and they are unlikely to be the same next year.

All-in-all Mark Warner are supposed to be a cut-above the basic tour operator, the food I hope was a short-term one-off glitch, but the noise problem in this hotel is a real problem for me and for this reason I can't see myself booking there again. A real shame because I love La Plagne and so I will have to find a different company to spend my money with when I come back here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Northwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Would recommend 100%. Staff very friendly, food excellent (with good free wine) and ski hosting amazing. The location is also fantastic - truly ski-in/out.

We're huge Mark Warner fans and always feel we get value for money (children 12 and 15 years old). OK, so the accommodation is far from plush, but everything else is wonderful! Would highly recommend it for families (although also suitable for adults you can tolerate children everywhere!!)

• Stayed December 2012
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in 2011. There was nothing special about the food however the location was fantastic. Ski on/off. The bar drinks were over priced compared to other bars nearby. There was a large group of us and we did find an area to get together in the evening, if you don't have kids you may not feel this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Just back from family skiing holiday in Christina. We had FANTASTIC time! Went there with two kids - 2 year old and 6 year old. By the end of the stay we knew half of the guests by their names - having been skiing with ski-hosting groups and having dinner with different people every night. Everyone was so friendly - both the staff and guests.

OK - for negatives. And there are not many!
- Transfer time by coach takes 3 hours - it is long. Especially with kids. We had DVD player and DS, but the two year old was bored (luckily she went to sleep for part of the time both ways).
- Flew from Gatwick - Not hugely impressed with Strategic airline - you can see that they do not have money to do anything - even cleaning is not done well (lots of chewing gum everywhere, seats look very dirty). Still the flight was only 1 hour - and they arrived both ways well ahead of schedule.
- The hotel is tired - but if you have been with Mark Warner before - you know that most of their hotels are like that. And this is not really that important - it is not what makes an excellent holidays. Our rooms were quite big, always clean - we had interconnecting ones (301 and 302) with two bathrooms (granted - one of them was tiny!). The hotel is tired, but it is made very welcoming by both staff and other guests. And additionally there was never any shortage of hot water (and believe me - we used a lot).
- wi-fi for a week 15 EUR - as other people have been saying before - it really should be free. I know it is not just Christina - all Mark Warner hotels charge for wi-fi. But they really should not. This should be included.

Now for the positives:
- fantastic atmosphere! made both by staff and guests. Quite a number of guests have been in Christina before and keep coming back.
- ski hosting - three different level groups - so my husband could ski with the fast group, while I have cruised in the leisurely one. A great way to see the mountains - with no maps, hesitation, getting lost - and meet other guests.
- very good food. and wine. with enough choice for everyone. Maybe some more fresh cut fruits, healthy options and cheese and ham for the breakfast would be good (but on the other hand when I have asked for cheese every morning - it has been provided with no problem)
- restaurant sitting arrangement - when you are encouraged to join other people for dinner (but you can eat by yourself if you want to!). this creates a really nice atmosphere and quickly the hotel feels like home and the holiday with strangers - like hols with friends. We have eaten with different people every night and it was great.
- friendly and helpful staff. everywhere - kids clubs, restaurant, reception, ski-hosting, bar.
- DVD club in the evening - where you can either put your little ones to sleep, or park the older ones with a movie - while you can enjoy your dinner with other adults. Heaven.
- location. location. location. the hotel is just on a piste - with about 6 or so lifts visible from the hotel. you can definately ski in and out. Very easy. And beautiful views.
- skiing was wonderful. I think it is ideal for beginner/intermidiate skiers mostly - as there is a lot of blue runs everywhere. But I think our fast group managed to enjoy themselves as well. very well developed area - huge, long runs with lots and lots of lifts. A tip - we have paid for the full unlimited ski pass - which includes both La Plagne and Les Arc. You most probably do not need it - as there is a discovery pass which includes La Plagne area and one day in Les Arcs. Going to Les Arcs takes time and you do not really need it. It was great to do for one day, but did not need to do it the rest of the week.
- my 6 year old went to skiing lessons in the morning and afternoon with Oxygene - and loved it. It was his first skiing ever and on Saturday, when we took him out with us - he was fearless and definately consistently faster on the blue runs than me!
- I have rented my boots and skis (and helmet) with Oxygene - and they were very good at changing my boots middle week when I complained that they were very uncomfortable.

On the whole - really fantastic holidays. We had fun skiing, fun dining with other guests and fun with our kids. The staff at the hotel really tried hard to make it a really good and painless experience. the small touches - bags taken to our rooms on arrival and collected from outside the doors on leaving. Not having to return skiis/boots etc - just left them in the lockers downstairs. Our son kitted out and taken to ski school by kids clubs staff (granted you need to pay for the kids club to have that). Everyone from staff seemed to help out when needed - for example seen the Manager both at the reception, helping out in the restaurant etc.
I have no problem recommending Christina - it was really sad to leave!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Chalet Hotel Christina? Share your experiences!