“Not up to expectations, wouldn't go back” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chalet Hotel Christina

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Macot-la-Plagne
Chalet Hotel Christina
La Plagne, Macot-la-Plagne, France   |
Ranked #12 of 34 hotels in Macot-la-Plagne
South East
“Not up to expectations, wouldn't go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I *was* a loyal Mark Warner customer, this being my 4th skiing holiday with them. When I find something that works I tend to stick with it, but sadly Hotel Christina in Plagne Centre has just let me down massively.

The worst aspect was the noise in & around the hotel every night. No sleep possible before 1am most nights, then disturbed sleep between 1am-6:30am, and then woken again at 6:30am.

The main culprit is "Scottys Bar". Be warned it is NOT "next door" as described, it is directly underneath the hotel and the noise travels right up into the building. The bar faces the slopes so any bedroom with a slope-side balcony (most of them) will get the full brunt. Don't get me wrong I've nothing against people enjoying 'apre ski', but for 5 of the 7 nights we experienced groups of 20-30 'brits abroad' larger louts hanging around outside shouting, top of their voice drunken singing, and language & swearing to make any respectable person cringe (let alone wanting your kids to hear). By midnight the staff did come out yelling for the noise to be kept down, but they were largely ignored and drowned-out with chanting etc. Scottys Bar do have a 'Facebook' page so you can see the 'events' that they put on. (I gather that the Scottys Bar is commercially linked to Mark Warner). The bar is open until 1am EVERY NIGHT. Live Music & entertainment often STARTS at 10pm. Sorry Mark Warner this is NOT COMPATIBLE with your 'Family-Friendly Hotel'

The noise transmission within the hotel itself is also an annoyance, every baby cry, sneeze, toilet flush, doors closing during the night can be heard. Then at 6:30am noise from the kitchens (we think) starts up, a most weird scrapping noise like dragging furniture across wooden floors. For an added 'bonus' on the last day the early flights leave the hotel at 5:30am, which is when the staff start cleaning rooms - vacuuming, moving furniture, banging balcony doors toilet flushing etc, regardless that 8:30am transfers still want another 2 hours sleep in the next room.

Being slope-side I expect a piste-basher to prepare the piste for a while during the evening. But a word of warning though, the hotel is on the main route in/out from 'basher-base' so there is a regular stream of them to & fro, they all go past the hotel from late evening and early morning.

This hotel is promoted for children, and there were a lot of children/babies/toddlers. My children were with me too, but I hope they imposed on nobody. However the same cannot be said for others: kids faces literally in the breakfast serving bowls (fruit/cereals), hands all over food and then put back, food thrown over the floor. Not particularly Mark Warner's fault, but really self-service hygiene could be improved vastly with proper serving counters.

Ok, now for the better stuff. The staff were helpful & friendly. The resort itself is one of the best, ideal for 'blue' piste lovers. Access around the different villages is easy, fast & efficient with loads of modern lifts. We didn't queue at all, all week. Other than 'noise' issues, the rooms are adequate, basic but clean & tidy - as much as I expect and typical for Mark Warner. Transfers from Grenoble airport were quick and comfortable with not too much hanging around, the transfers are direct so no dropping-off at other hotels/resorts which you get with some other companies.

Mark Warner will organise your lift passes, ski-hire and lessons for you but we found them slightly more expensive than organising on-line direct with the various suppliers.

BTW Lift passes are available for "La Plagne only"; "Discovery" which adds a day in Les Arcs; or "Paradaski" unlimited to the whole area. "Discovery" is more than ample for recreational skiers, it's nice to visit Les Arcs, but in six days I doubt you would want to go more than once (and beginners wont ever make it so I wouldn't bother with more than La Plagne/Local passes). Lessons this year were through Oxygene, who seem really good and are based close-by. Mark Warner also use Oxygene for equipment hire, although we arranged cheaper through "Intersport" ("Twinners" is actually closest to the hotel).

And now to the other major disappointment of our week. Food. For my previous Mark Warner trips food has been a highlight, this time it really wasn't up to scratch. The menu was the normal choice of 3 options for each of three course (desserts always being ice creams, cheese board plus "one other"). Between our family we had a range from the options every night, none were wonderful. Vegetables were very lacking (sometimes none at all, others no more than a smear of a puree). With some of the meals there were no rice or potato accompaniments. It seems the menu was trying to be too cleaver, like somebody had just watch a series of 'Masterchef', but with no real skill to back it up. Undercooked, overcook, over runny, dry, odd flavour combinations, soggy, the occasional 'yuk' - we had it all. Sorry Chef, it's just not cutting-it, 4 or 5 weeks into the season it should be good/excellent by now. Obviously cooks/chefs may change during the season and they are unlikely to be the same next year.

All-in-all Mark Warner are supposed to be a cut-above the basic tour operator, the food I hope was a short-term one-off glitch, but the noise problem in this hotel is a real problem for me and for this reason I can't see myself booking there again. A real shame because I love La Plagne and so I will have to find a different company to spend my money with when I come back here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Northwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Would recommend 100%. Staff very friendly, food excellent (with good free wine) and ski hosting amazing. The location is also fantastic - truly ski-in/out.

We're huge Mark Warner fans and always feel we get value for money (children 12 and 15 years old). OK, so the accommodation is far from plush, but everything else is wonderful! Would highly recommend it for families (although also suitable for adults you can tolerate children everywhere!!)

• Stayed December 2012
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in 2011. There was nothing special about the food however the location was fantastic. Ski on/off. The bar drinks were over priced compared to other bars nearby. There was a large group of us and we did find an area to get together in the evening, if you don't have kids you may not feel this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Just back from family skiing holiday in Christina. We had FANTASTIC time! Went there with two kids - 2 year old and 6 year old. By the end of the stay we knew half of the guests by their names - having been skiing with ski-hosting groups and having dinner with different people every night. Everyone was so friendly - both the staff and guests.

OK - for negatives. And there are not many!
- Transfer time by coach takes 3 hours - it is long. Especially with kids. We had DVD player and DS, but the two year old was bored (luckily she went to sleep for part of the time both ways).
- Flew from Gatwick - Not hugely impressed with Strategic airline - you can see that they do not have money to do anything - even cleaning is not done well (lots of chewing gum everywhere, seats look very dirty). Still the flight was only 1 hour - and they arrived both ways well ahead of schedule.
- The hotel is tired - but if you have been with Mark Warner before - you know that most of their hotels are like that. And this is not really that important - it is not what makes an excellent holidays. Our rooms were quite big, always clean - we had interconnecting ones (301 and 302) with two bathrooms (granted - one of them was tiny!). The hotel is tired, but it is made very welcoming by both staff and other guests. And additionally there was never any shortage of hot water (and believe me - we used a lot).
- wi-fi for a week 15 EUR - as other people have been saying before - it really should be free. I know it is not just Christina - all Mark Warner hotels charge for wi-fi. But they really should not. This should be included.

Now for the positives:
- fantastic atmosphere! made both by staff and guests. Quite a number of guests have been in Christina before and keep coming back.
- ski hosting - three different level groups - so my husband could ski with the fast group, while I have cruised in the leisurely one. A great way to see the mountains - with no maps, hesitation, getting lost - and meet other guests.
- very good food. and wine. with enough choice for everyone. Maybe some more fresh cut fruits, healthy options and cheese and ham for the breakfast would be good (but on the other hand when I have asked for cheese every morning - it has been provided with no problem)
- restaurant sitting arrangement - when you are encouraged to join other people for dinner (but you can eat by yourself if you want to!). this creates a really nice atmosphere and quickly the hotel feels like home and the holiday with strangers - like hols with friends. We have eaten with different people every night and it was great.
- friendly and helpful staff. everywhere - kids clubs, restaurant, reception, ski-hosting, bar.
- DVD club in the evening - where you can either put your little ones to sleep, or park the older ones with a movie - while you can enjoy your dinner with other adults. Heaven.
- location. location. location. the hotel is just on a piste - with about 6 or so lifts visible from the hotel. you can definately ski in and out. Very easy. And beautiful views.
- skiing was wonderful. I think it is ideal for beginner/intermidiate skiers mostly - as there is a lot of blue runs everywhere. But I think our fast group managed to enjoy themselves as well. very well developed area - huge, long runs with lots and lots of lifts. A tip - we have paid for the full unlimited ski pass - which includes both La Plagne and Les Arc. You most probably do not need it - as there is a discovery pass which includes La Plagne area and one day in Les Arcs. Going to Les Arcs takes time and you do not really need it. It was great to do for one day, but did not need to do it the rest of the week.
- my 6 year old went to skiing lessons in the morning and afternoon with Oxygene - and loved it. It was his first skiing ever and on Saturday, when we took him out with us - he was fearless and definately consistently faster on the blue runs than me!
- I have rented my boots and skis (and helmet) with Oxygene - and they were very good at changing my boots middle week when I complained that they were very uncomfortable.

On the whole - really fantastic holidays. We had fun skiing, fun dining with other guests and fun with our kids. The staff at the hotel really tried hard to make it a really good and painless experience. the small touches - bags taken to our rooms on arrival and collected from outside the doors on leaving. Not having to return skiis/boots etc - just left them in the lockers downstairs. Our son kitted out and taken to ski school by kids clubs staff (granted you need to pay for the kids club to have that). Everyone from staff seemed to help out when needed - for example seen the Manager both at the reception, helping out in the restaurant etc.
I have no problem recommending Christina - it was really sad to leave!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
sheffield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

We have just returned from this hotel and had a great holiday.
First Mark Warner are great, from the transfer to arriving at the hotel all went well,just one tip the transfer is long so take some food with you because you do not stop!
We have stayed at this hotel once before 5 years ago and it was tired then and is still in need of a lick of paint,but the service at this hotel by all the staff more than make up for this.
The food was the best we have had at any ski hotel,the French chief came out to greet us all on the first night and from then on you could not fault the food,one lady was gluten free and she had special meals made just for her on most nights.
The location cannot be better than this hotel ,the slopes are just below the hotel window!
It provided hot water and clean towels which is all any keen skier wants after a long day on the slopes.
We do not have children but there were a lot there, and they were looked after nearly all of the time.
This is a great hotel for location,food and good company but do not go expecting the ritz or you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a balcony overlooking the slopes,they are in the sun all day.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

We’ve just got back from a wonderful week at this chalet hotel. The rooms are surprisingly basic (even having read the reviews!) but our room for 4 was large and bright with a balcony and we had a large recently renovated barthroom which was great. The room was pretty hot but you can adjust the radiator easily to get the comfort level you want.

We had wonderful weather for the week and the ski area is large and varied but what really made the holiday was the brilliant atmosphere in the hotel. The staff were super, warm and friendly and genuinely eager to please. The other guests (about 1/2 to 2/3rds were families with children) were friendly and including and there was a general feeling of bonhomie that grew as the week progressed. The excellent ski hosting and sociable table layout in the restaurant contributed to this as did the pub quizzes in the bar.

The food and wine were on the whole very good quality and always plentiful. Breakfast kept us going to soup and cakes at 4.30 so we didn’t have to buy much else all week.

Our 4 year olds were well looked after by the great team of nannies when we were skiing. Children can dine with their parents in the evening though most chose/or are encouraged to go to the film and sleep club. One advantage for the younger ones in going to this club is that they get more sleep there than they would if they stayed up with mum and dad for the evening meal which was important for us. The fact that we then got to hang out in bar till 11 was a bonus too!

All in all we had a super week at this chalet hotel and I wouldn’t think twice about recommending it or returning.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a renovated bathroom if you can.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Sevenoaks, Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Just returned from a week at this establishment and so glad I ignored the poor reviews others have posted. It is right at the bottom of a blue run, opposite the lifts. It could not be more central!

The Mark Warner staff were excellent. They were friendly, helpful and always cheerful. Our skis and bags were taken up to our rooms when we arrived, and loaded onto the coach upon departure. this is an absolute first for me - and I have been skiing for more than 20 years, often 3 or 4 weeks each season!

The restaurant was roomy and the menu extensive. The food was great. Buffet full English each morning, or you could order your choice from the kitchen. Upon the couple of occasions that I did not want something on the menu (garlic!), the kitchen cheerfully gave me an alternative. Loads of good free wine with the evening meals. 24/7 tea, coffee, chocolate etc. available.

There were quite a few children staying, but they had their own sitting for teatime and did not impinge upon our dining.

The room was basic, but comfortable. the only problem we had was that the (separate) loo was very confined as was the shower room. Our room was on the second floor above the bar, but we did not find the noise obtrusive.

There is a bar (Scotty's) under the hotel, which is OK, if not a little "spit & sawdust". The hotel bar was much more pleasant, apart from the fact that it was very draughty - maybe that was because temperatures were very low. Its a shame more residents did not patronise it as the bar staff were friendly, and no doubt, profits help keep the general hotel prices at a reasonable level!

We were pleasantly surprised to find that ski guiding was included for four and a half days. It was a great way to ski around the extendsive resort. We opted for the "intermediate" group which was fine on the first day, We missed the second day and found that by the third, the group dymamics had changed markedly. Although the skiing was still fun, new individuals had joined the gtroup and the end result was that the final two days we skiied were rather boring, mainly encompassing blue runs. We were not particularly impressed the with the lunch venues on two days which tended to be "canteen" style restaurants - which was a shame as there are many good, smaller, waitered establishments for little more cost. Still, this would suit skiers on a tight budget I suppose. We chose to leave the group and go elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Chalet Hotel Christina? Share your experiences!