“Read all the reviews and then take a punt” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Terra Nova
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plagne Centre, 73210 Macot-la-Plagne, France   |
Ranked #10 of 34 hotels in Macot-la-Plagne
Edinburgh
“Read all the reviews and then take a punt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Almost everything you read about the Terra Nova is probably true. We are just back from a trip during the first week of April and really enjoyed ourselves. Arrival was less than brilliant but it allowed us to get our ski hire sorted. The room was 3 star quality but it had a brilliant view. The ski boot room was a nightmare first thing in the morning but we walked straight on to the slopes. Food a bit samey day on day but lots of variety each night.
It was in short spot on for what we were after at the price we got it for.

Room Tip: The rooms on the west side look down valley and are fantastic at dusk.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We had visited another of the hotels in the chain, in Tignes before Christmas so expected similar, however, were disappointed by some aspects.

Good:
Location excellent for ski in/out and lifts.
Views from room and restaurants
Huge room (think we had a family room for 2 people)
Check in/out v efficient
Service and food quality improved significantly over the course of the week

Bad:
Children "running wild" around the hotel; this is obviously a popular choice for your families due to the Kids Club on site. The young children were not an issue, however, the older siblings, deemed too old for Kids Club appeared to have free reign of the hotel unsupervised by parents-belongings left in boot room; playing in lifts: broken lights in public area, playing with footballs!

Equipment hire relatively poor, old equipment and lacked choice/variety; didn't get the impression paying for intermediate etc was different.

Our room didn't appear to be hoovered all week.

Food choice was not as good as Hotel Diva in Tignes. This was be as we chose to eat later to avoid 6:30pm family dining (as mentioned in previous reviews)

Overall, great location and views, go for it if you get a good deal!

• Stayed April 2013
Séverine B, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Terra Nova, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Customer,

We have read with a very high attention your comments. We are very sorry that our hotel did not meet all your expectations. Our hotel is a three star hotel with all the services that a three star is offering to guests and very popular for families. We can understand disagrement about childre "running wild" but unfortunabut we can not be responsible of that. We hope to welcome you next winter!
Sincerely
Oxford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have just spent a week here and in general was very disappointed. I have been coming to France for over 40 years and the food was the worst I have ever experienced in a country which prides itself on good food. It was so bad that on three occasions I chose to eat out at additional expense. Officially it is a three star hotel, but I have found many two star hotels of far better quality in France. Whilst the bedroom was of a reasonable size and bed comfortable the furnishings were poor. For example the chair was of the fold up variety that might be found in a church hall. The soap that was provided was in a squeezy container that was impossible to use without standing up in the bath. There was plenty of storage space and the location was great. However I would not expect a three star hotel to have a row of slot machines in the bar.
Perhaps the problem is that most of their clients are booked with Crystal, who clearly negotiate a low price, so the hotel is forced to cut corners. With regard to the food it is a buffet served between 6.30 and 9.00 if you come in at 8.30 some of the food will have been sat there for two hours. Frankly my golf club in England produces better buffets. Also all the mountain restaurants in La Plagne had better food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Séverine B, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Terra Nova, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Customer,
We are indeed very sorry and disappointed to read about you experience during your stay at the hotel.
Please be assured that our manager is aware of the issue and will of course ensure that this does not happen again. We hope we will be given a second chance to offer you the true hotel experience.
Regards
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed here in the last week of March 2013, with my dad and my uncle. I had an absolute fantastic time and cannot fault this hotel! The staff here are extremely helpful and are very friendly. They are willing to help you with anything and are very interesting people to talk to. I was invited to go out one night with some of the staff and I had an excellent time, it was a unique experience which I will never forget.

In addition one of the staff members offered to help me to snowboard. The food in the hotel is very good. Excluding the main meal, everything is self service, however it always looks appealing and we were never disappointed. There is so much on offer for breakfast and the evening meal, that nobody should ever need to buy lunch during the day.

The hotel has a very good gym, however since I was the only one in their after a days skiing, I doubt many people would use it anyway. It also has a table tennis table (I would recommend bringing your own bats if you are an avid player). With the hotel being ski in ski out from the piste, you cant really go wrong anyway.

The bar is a very good place to meet people. Throughout the week we met many people and made good friends, including solo holiday makers. Hotel Terra Nova is in a prime location for La Plagne making it easy to get around the village. The hotel is fantastic for families, there was a massive emphasis on kids clubs within the hotel. The ski rental shop within the hotel is perfect. The staff are brilliant as they are so helpful. As a good skier, I was wanting to try boarding; the shop staff allowed me to swap between skis and board whenever I wanted, which I frequently did. The lockers were very good too.

Overall I would give this hotel 5 stars, it may not be the most luxurious hotel in the world but it is absolutely fantastic nonetheless and I know that you will have an amazingly good experience by coming here. If I where to stay here every year that I go skiing from now on, I would not be disappointed.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Just returned from a week's holiday early March where had the best snow conditions of our 3 visits to La Plagne. Hotel Terra Nova is in a great location with direct access to a green run down to 2 lifts that opens up to the majority of the whole area. We were with our 2 children 4 years and 12 months & my parents (1 none skier) and had a corner room overlooking mountains and the aforementioned lifts. Our rooms were on the 3rd floor and for skiing accommodation we found it to be pretty good-plenty space for a travel cot & bench seat with pull out bed for our 4 yr old (which we did pack away each morning), comfortable beds with duvets and lots of pillows and a TV. My parents room overlooked other side of hotel but also v spacious double room. Bathroom/toilet very clean and modern. We did find the room very warm during the night, but not unbearable. We did also hear the piste bashers returning around 2am each night, but can't avoid that too much if you are located on the slopes. We were on half board option and found breakfast very good with plenty of choice - continental and few hot options. Dinner was good too - good choices for starters and plenty of mini desserts/ice-cream to keep everyone happy (esp kids!) but mains was a bit disappointing as there were often only 2 meat/fish options, a kids and a veggie one, but were not the hottest and often parts were pre-cooked sitting at the back to be plated up - would be better if freshly cooked in front of you (esp steak!) But overall couldn't really complain about food - plenty of it! The only other small gripe with the restaurant is dinner doesn't start until 6.30pm which we found a tad late for our 1 year old and you did find that all the families with young kids were there at 6.30 on the dot - would be better if they would open it at 5.30pm to allow for young kids as they all get a bit grumpy after this. Would also have been nice if they did lunch too - we had a none skier in our party who was babysitting so would have been good for them to eat there (using credits) or even if the bar opened earlier for lunch menu, as we could have met back at hotel easily some of the time and then skied out again after. Bar area nice & large with kids play section at back and we made full use of hotel credits during week for drinks. Ski lockers are v small and room does become cramped at peak times, but is right by door for access to slopes . Yes there is no room for ski-boots and hotel doesn't like you walking about with them on so have to take to room to dry off - bonus is there is lift with access direct to rooms from locker room, so no need to walk far in them. Overall good value for money hotel with good access to slopes. We would consider using this hotel again in the future if we go back to this area.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from slopes not to hear the piste bashers coming back in around 2-3am if this both...
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Based on the recent reviews of others, expectations for this hotel were not high. How mislead we were......................
Upon arrival, the check in and reception was warm and welcoming. The hotel is relatively modern for a French 3/4 star rated establishment, although like so many buildings in La Plagne, it is a bit non descript from the outside.
Rooms seem to be adequate throughout - ours had a great view, and all are easily accessible by the lift or stairs. Loads of hot water available all the time. TV had some English channels. Comfortable beds. Always very warm. Spotlessly clean evrywhere. Our party was 3 adults sharing so it was a bit of a squeeze at times but no big deal.
The food was excellent and plentiful, albeit too much at times but that is hardly a criticism! You can literally eat as much or as little as you want. Plenty of choice and generally something for everybody I would have thought.
The bar is quiet when the kids have all gone to bed. Immediately after skiing it was a bit wild with youngsters running around which gave the place a sence of fun and holiday abroad. But after 9.00pm or so, it became a quiet and pleasant place to relax and have a few drinks.
The ski shop in the hotel was excellent. I had a great pair of skis all week. One of our party swapped his skis and boots for a snow board and boots at least two days during the week at no extra cost and with no hassle or reluctance.
Access to the slopes just couldn't be easier - straight out of the door onto a green run. And coming back you can ski directly to the same place. It does not get any better than that, anywhere. Ski storage is a bit cramped but nowhere near as bad as some of the places I have visited. At least there are no steps to fall down with the clunky clopper ski boots on!
Probably the best feature of this hotel were the staff. They are brilliant! Service with a smile, helpful at all times, with nothing too much trouble. I include the Crstal Ski Reps in this as well, who were only too willing to oblige if t hey could. From getting off the plane to getting back on it, there was always somebody there to help if you needed it. What more do you need?
Overall, this was a great holiday experience, excellent value for money, and if I were to do it again with no changes whatsoever, I would have no complaints.

Lancs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hotel is perfectly adequate for a ski holiday. The ski in / out facility is its best selling point. The rooms are 3*, clean, warm and large enough. Meals are 3* and not exactly gourmet. Bar area OK. Staff mostly unobtrusive. Boot room typically chaotic at busy periods but copes.
Its a budget Hotel that delivers budget performance. But then again thats what it advertises itself as. Its not their fault if Crystal Ski over-hypes it. In my opinion it fully deserves its 3* grading and with this in mind actually exceeds expectations.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Terra Nova? Share your experiences!