“Brilliant, i expected alot less after reading reviews!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Terra Nova
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plagne Centre, 73210 Macot-la-Plagne, France   |
Ranked #10 of 34 hotels in Macot-la-Plagne
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Brilliant, i expected alot less after reading reviews!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Airport and Transfer

Our flight was moved half was moved after booking, we booked with Thomson to fly into Grenoble. A couple weeks before the holiday we received a letter saying our flights were now changed to fly with Titan into Chambery which I was relatively angry at because we had specified that we didn’t want to fly into Chambery after reading so many bad reviews and I had never heard of titan airways before. Anyway, we stuck with it. Titan airways were very good, professional and a very smooth enjoyable flight. They aren’t wrong when they say Chambery is a small airport but it wasn’t as bad as reviews made out. Took around an hour to get our baggage as there is 1 belt for all flights but it wasn’t that bad.
Transfer wasn’t very enjoyable, we were told by the crystal rep it would take 1 ½ hour - 2 hour max, it took 3 hours and it wasn’t the most comfy of coaches.

Hotel

After reading reviews on here i was a bit worried about my choice in hotel. But I can honestly say anyone who rates this hotel to be dirty and to arrive with low expectations must have arrived here expecting to be showered with diamonds upon walking in the door. I don’t know what I was worried about. The hotel was very clean, I was worried about the bed being quite snug as im used to a large bed at home but it was lovely, big and extremely comfortable, I slept well every night. I didn’t notice anything unclean, the shower was powerful and again clean, only thing was that the shower temperature was a bit temperamental but not drastically. There are no tea and coffee making in the room but we bought a cheap travel kettle and some 2 in 1 coffee sachets for £10 and that was perfect. There is quite a large window sill which worked perfect as a fridge which was really good so our window sill was full of water and chocolate!
There were a few English channels on the TV, Such as BBC 1 and BBC 2, then some news channels but that was enough and there were some good programs on.
Hotel staff were varied, some were overly nice and helpful, some looked and spoke to you like you were thick.
Overall in the room couldn’t really ask for much more! As I have seen on previous reviews, the hairdryer wasn’t fantastic, it does get quite hot to hold but its fine if you hold it nearer the top, But that is such a minor thing really.

Restaurant

Another thing I was quite worried about was the food, many reviews said that there wasn’t much variety. I can honestly say that ive never looked forward to dinner more every night! It was delicious.
I don’t think you can go expecting to get what the standard English buffet would be. The cold buffet largely consisted of cold meats, salad, a HUGE cheeseboard and breads (although the bread was always hard and stale like but I think that’s normal in france). Hot food was different every night, my hot meals varied from lasagne, different fishes, pasta, chicken, vegetables and potatoes. They also had pies, pizza and quiches.
Desserts were different every night too but they always had an icecream bar open. Only thing I can say is that they seem to rip you off on basic things like diet coke in the restaurant, it was 3 euro 50 for a small glass which they didn’t even fill to the top, and it was from a big bottle they kept out the back.

Breakfast wasn’t that great, they had bacon and scrambled egg for hot food, then pastries, cereals and toast but the toaster broke on the 3rd day and they failed to get it fixed before we left! We
We usually went to breakfast at 9am and it closes at 10pm, so I don’t know wether the lack of plates, pastries and bread was due to that but we didn’t have 1 day when there was any. The staff seemed more interested in setting up for lunch or just having a chat.
My final point which unfortunately has to be a negative was the staff in the restaurant, they all seemed very unprofessional, just standing round on their phones and having a chat with each other when we wanted drinks which is a shame as the rest of the hotel staff were fantastic.

Bar
It was nice to have a drink here after skiing or after dinner, they had a good range of drinks. Staff varied. Some were really nice and others weren’t even interested in serving you.
There was a pool table in the bar which was nice too and they usually had some sort of evening entertainment. Prices weren’t great but were better than the restaurant.

Overall

I think this hotel was great, I will certainly be going back here! And to top it all, the location couldn’t be any better! It was fab. It was very busy when we were there but there were still ski lockers free so that’s another thing against the other reviews. Ski hire was also great and they were very helpful.
There were shops just a short walk from the hotel, lots of restaurants too for lunch which you can ski down to.
Crystal reps were very helpful! Couldnt have asked for much more.
I have attached some photos which i took myself after failing to find any photos of the buffet or bathrooms etc prior to my trip.
Overall It was an extremely enjoyable holiday and id defiantly recommend this.

Room Tip: I was on floor 2 and didnt really have much of a problem but id reccomend going higher if you want u...

249 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

3rd trip to this Hotel in 4 years, arrived with some worries, given the negative comments in some reviews. Staff were excellent - tight and thoughtful approach to restaurant hygiene, coupled to a good menu, more than coped with a busy week.
Good value for money - excellent and varied doorstep skiing with opportunities to ski the Glacier + neighbouring Les Arc.
Some lift queues were very busy, slowing key areas when moving across the large ski area, but Hotel situated particularly well providing varied uplift to all levels of runs.
Good support from reps who were regularly available and providing up to date local knowledge.
Yes there are, as always, small aspects which can be questioned - I know, given this is my 31st year of skiing - many of which have been leading a school ski trip and responsible for selecting hotel/ resorts.
GerryH
I'd be more than happy to visit again next year, perhaps with my grandchildren!

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Go with low expectations and you will be ok. The only thing the hotel has for it ski in and out.
We arrived in the lower carpark and waited ages for a fume filled lift to take us to reception.
Reception were very slow at checking people in and then we were told we couldnt have the room until 18:00 hours.
Crystal sold it as a luxuary hotel which it certainly isnt
After checking in we waited for the very small slow lifts to take us to our room, which looked just like a travel lodge room, the view was nice but the room was far from clean. the bed was made as a doulble not a twin although we requested a twin, this was the case for most our party. Grudging someone came to split them and remake them. The room was very dark even with all the lights on the only place with enough light to read a pieste map was in the bathroom.
The bathroom had a cracked bath and wash basion. The plastic bath seat provided to go across the bath for disabled people fell to pieces on me dumping me in the bottom on the bath damaging my hip and arm which i was not happy about. The cleaning staff seemed more interesting snogging eachother than cleaning. The bathrooms have hairdryers in them but they get so hot you have to wrap a towel round the hairdryer to be able to hold it to dry your hair. After sking the water temp changes throughout your shower because everyone is showering. The bath is the shortest kind possible that may be ok if you are a kid but not big enough for an adult to fint comfortably in.

When entering the dinning room the food looked good with plenty to choose from, however there are pros and cons of buffets, we made sure we were in first to limit catching things from other people touching things, Main dinner looked good but was stone cold every night, even when they got it straght out of the serving dish.

you need your own paddlock if you want to use a ski locker which we werent told. The boot room is tiny. To get to that level only one of the two lifts goes that far the corridor is small, it has benches along the wall so people are trying to get boots on and others are trying to get past to the door. The door offers you two lifts which is about its only selling point as you are straight out onto the snow.

The bar area is over crowded for the number of people in the hotel and getting someone to serve you is sometimes an issue. which goes back to whole staff attitude.

expect little helpfulness, expect cold food, expect average hotel, expect to get our straight onto the slopes and you will have a good week. if you want a 3* hotel, go elsewhere.

Room Tip: didnt get a choice of rooms, you over look the town you get a varanda you overlook the slope you don...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Séverine B, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Terra Nova, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Customer,
First of all, we are sorry to read that our partner did not infomr you well about the hotel Terra Nova. As we are a 3 stars hotel, offering services expected from a 3 stars hotel. All our clients are normaly informed that rooms are available from 6 pm and they can use our lugage store for free if they want to arrive earlier. We are sorry to read that you were not happy of your stay, we will do our best to improve our services according your different comments.
Kind regards
Hertfordshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Wish i had read about it here first before going throw the painful crap experience myself!!!

Oversold by Crystal, they gave out no info/welcome pack, so we were expecting a 4* hotel to turn up to what looked like a 2* rating.. had to wait 3hrs to check into our room... so just dumped luggage in reception whilst we waited for info.... of course by this time Crystal Reps no where to be seen!!!

Travelling with someone in a wheel chair - they stuck us on the 6th (Top) floor!!! [health and safety out the window.. if there was a fire]
Lifts seem to do what they want.... they might stop at your floor if your lucky... but not sure how 8 people fit inside....
Rooms: very dusty, lighting poor.. no kettle, chipped sink, hairdryer burns your hand off when using it!!
Food:breakfast - food left in the sun!!, Most nights very cold,
We had 150 euro pp, bar credit as part of our booking deal so we could use that for the 10euro lunch deal... but they buggered that up too!!!!
Staff, Little english, maid staff eating each others faces off in the lift!! (not what i want to see after cold dinner!)

Positive, great location and ski in and out...

Room Tip: Good luck!!! (your gonna need it)
Dear Customer,
First of all, we are sorry if one of our partner did not inform you well about our hotel, hotel Terra Nova is a 3* hotel which offers all services expected from a 3 stars hotel. According the desabled rooms, the hotel has one on each floor. Finaly we are sorry to hear that you were not informed well and we can understant your disappointment if you were expecting a four stars hotel.
Regards
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We really enjoyed our skiing holiday. The hotel has a great location right on the slopes. Staff were friendly, food was good (lots of choice so,I am sure there would be something to suit most people). The problem I have is that Crystal/Thomson give this their 4 star rating and it most definitely is not a 4 star. Our room was spacious and comfortable but a few things were tatty - like the sofa bed cover and cushions and there was a large sticky stain on the carpet that we had to try and avoid! I think the hotel is just a tad neglected. La Plagne centre is purpose built so don't expect charm. Having said all that the skiing was very good so we would return and I wouldn't be put off going back to this hotel but remember it is only a 3 star. Crystal/Thomson are doing this hotel more harm than good by giving it a higher rating as people expect more.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here wc 9th March.
Arrived at about 3pm and were aware that check-in was not until 6pm so were not worried about this. We used the time have a drink in the bar and to organise our ski/boot hire downs stairs in the on-site ski-set shop. The shop is a little cramped but the staff were very good and equipment more than adequate. I needed to changed my skis half way through my stay as I wanted something with a bigger radius; this was no problem at all.
As other reviewers have said remember to bring your own small padlock for the ski lockers (a suitcase lock will work fine) otherwise the charge is 10 euro which is a little steep but we are in the Alps so not really a surprise !
The room was comfortable and spacious enough with a separate bathroom & toilet. My only comment would be that the mattress on the bed could have been a bit more comfortable but this was a minor issue. The rooms are very good for ski area accommodation.
The food was good and plentiful with more than enough choices to keep us happy and full for the week. Breakfast is buffet style as is Dinner starters; Main courses are a selection of two or three hot meals served by staff at a hot counter. Desserts were very good. The staff were helpful and polite.
The greatest asset of this hotel is the location. You literally ski out of the boot room doors onto the lifts and back in at the end of the day - perfect in my opinion.
Plagne Centre, whilst not architectually as pretty as some of the other LP villages, is a good central location with free regular shuttle buses going round all the other areas.
I would recommend the Terra Nova to anyone looking for a good ski in/out hotel in La Plagne. I would certainly consider returning.

• Stayed March 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

After 1st initial thoughts about the hotel ie. it was dated and bedrooms and children's play area were dirty, we did settle.

The hotel could do with a good clean and a refurbisent. Staff were ok and helpful sometimes. Bar area could have done without French techno music blaring out on 1st day as we waited for our rooms to be ready after a long journey.

Our children were in the Pepi Penguin Club, which was very small and basic. The crystal child care team were lovely though. They did arrange for my son to play in the older kids club, as there were more toys.

No high tea in this hotel, so kids were exhausted waiting for dinner at 6:30pm.

Food average and also saw notices around the hotel about sickness bugs, which resulted in all restaurant staff wearing gloves whe serving food and anti bacterial dispensers located all over the hotel.

Overall a tired hotel, in a great location, a little over priced.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Hotel Terra Nova? Share your experiences!