“Second time as perfect as the first. ” 5 of 5 stars

The Sandi Phala
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Wana Segara, Tuban, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Tuban
brisbane
“Second time as perfect as the first. ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

We were here last year as well, and nothing has changed which is what we wanted. Perfect rooms, great pool and fantastic food, which is outstanding. After traveling through S.E asia this was our last stop to recover and relax, and this is the place to do it in.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Sandi phala exceeded my expectations! Friendly service with a smile, gorgeous rooms, quiet beach in front and pool inside...it had everything we needed for our girls holiday and more. Complimentary airport shuttle made things so convenient. Large rooms, spacious bathrooms with huge tub and rain shower, l'occitane toiletries, delicious breakfast...absolutely nothing but raves about this place. Most importantly, the location in tuban was convenient to get to kuta, legian and seminyak by car (about 10mins to kuta beach). Staff also helped us book a spa and when my friend was ill they asked if we needed water and called the tour we booked to cancel. Will stay here again the next time I'm in Bali.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

My daughter and Son in Law who live in Australia had already booked a trip to Bali and at the last minute suggested we join them. This was our first visit to Bali and lovely Sandi Phala was a perfect starting place. We were there for 5 days at the start of our trip and it was chosen in ignorance and with speed. We weren't keen on the choice my daughter had made for her first five days as it was in the mountains and we like to see the sea but wanted to be near enough enough to my daughters hotel so that we could meet up easily in the evening. As 'first timers' to Bali we hadn't accounted for the traffic jams eating into the travel times but after a couple of days you just make allowances. When we told her we had booked a hotel in Kuta she was horrified and said we would hate it. She was certainly right about Kuta but we were so glad our ignorance brought as to the Sandi Phala. Dont let the location put you off and certainly our hearts were sinking as we drove from the airport but as you turn into the hotel, it's a little oasis. The staff were a delight from the moment we saw Bude holding the name of the hotel aloft amongst the hundreds of other names at Denpasar airport until the time we sadly moved on after our five days. It was everything I had expected Bali to be. The room was spotless and absolutely nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff and after our exhausting 22 hour flight from the Uk to sit in the little bar overlooking the beach at sunset with a mojito in my hand, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven and new that the long journey had been worth it.

The Ma Joly restaurant is a must for a least one night of your visit. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? Yes. Although I don't think the prices are especially more expensive than a reasonably priced high end restaurant in the UK but I except there are much cheaper places around but if you stay away from the wine and factor in the setting and ambiance in my opinion it's really very reasonable. Again the staff and service were impeccable and I'm cross with myself that I didn't write this review earlier ( we went in February) and I could have dropped a few names.

The hotel itself is small and wouldn't be suitable if you were looking to meet up and make friends with other hotel guests - some days we had the pool to ourselves - But it's perfect if you want a relaxing, pampered time and especially for arriving and unwinding after a long journey and for when it's time to go and only want a sort hop to the airport as it's literally 6 mins away and they operate a shuttle. I can't wait to go back to Bali and Sandi Phala would be my first stop.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Stayed here on the last night of our trip due to early flight in the morning. We were surpirsed at the excellence of the hotel as we weren't expecting much from this choice, mainly driven by convenience.

So know what you are staying for

Stay here if:
- You have an early flight in the morning and want to relax on your last day.
- You want to spend time in the room but have the option of a lovely pool and a beach
- Want to have excellent but expensive dinner in a beautiful setting.

Don't stay here if :
- you want to be remote and in a picturesque setting.
- you want a paradise beach, beach is ok but not breathtaking
- You have plenty of time, there are definitley better locations in Bali

Pros:
- Incredible staff (see story below)
- Fantastic room (we got upgraded to a garden suite)
- Lovely pool
- Access to beach
- Distance to airport without any noise

Cons:
- Distance to Town
- Food is great but expensive, also it is more Western fine dining so don't expect local gems... but then again you are in Kuta.. this is not the proper Bali!!

The lost Camera:

On our way from Ubud to the Sandi Phala we left our camera in the taxi. The taxi we had picked up from the street in Ubud in front of one of the Museums.

We asked hotel staff and they said to leave it to them. Security had noted the drivers license plate so they got in touch with our previous hotel in Ubud to have them track down the driver. I had already written off the camera and pictures as lost but during dinner the staff approached us telling us they had located the driver and he wanted to speak to me. I have no idea how they did it or whether the driver had contacted them.

Anyways I spoke to the driver ( not a very friendly chap) and obviously he demanded money and I offered him 70 USD which was the cost of a return trip to the hotel from Ubud.
He agreed to bring the camera the next morning but after I got off the phone the hotel staff said it was not a safe arrangement. They were worried he would get there late and not in time for our flight and most likely try ot extort more money. In their opinion he should bring us the camera and hope for a finders fee, but demanding payment was a "bad attitude" since he could have just handed the camera to our hotel in Ubud.

So the staff actually offered to go to Ubud that very night ot retrieve our camera from him. They explicitly asked for no payment in return but I gave them 20 USD each for their effort anyways plus a 20 USD for the driver of the taxi (after, all he now didn't have to exert any effort on his part).

Long story short, by 11pm we had our camera back. Obviously I would have paid way more to have my pictures returned to me, but because of the courtesy of the staff I did not have to.

To me this is great service.

Room Tip: For room dwellers garden suite is great, but no views from the room
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Ballarat, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We could only fit 7 nights into our smoothly arranged last minute Bali visit. But it was so relaxing it seemed like 3 weeks. Very agreeable rates for very spacious culturally appropriate suite accommodation, and the food in-house at Ma Joly was special all day every day! Mouth wateringly fantastic in fact! Add a beach frontage, beautiful gardens and a very attractive quiet and inviting pool, we relaxed into many a satisfied sigh! This experience is no accident however, and we offer our special thanks the always smiling, personable, helpful and obliging team at Sandi Phala who are the very best aspect in a very happy stay. Others have commented on the proximity to the airport, and it is just a leisurely walk into central Kuta either via the beach or via the bargains on display along the main road. But my suggestion is that you spoil yourself - stay in!

Room Tip: We stayed in a very nice pool suite & a very garden suite before finally gaining the Sandi Phala...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We have been in Bali for three weeks and this is the last property we have stayed at before we go home.
I cannot find one negative thing to say about The Sandi Phala, it's been wonderful to stay here.
From watching the sunset over cocktails on the beach to dining in their wonderful restaurant Ma Joly everything has been exceptional.
We are staying a pool suite which is beautiful and has everything you could possibly wish for.
The breakfast is a la carte in the restaurant and the food beautiful.
All staff have been lovely as they normally are in Bali and will do anything to assist you.
This is my new favourite retreat when in Bali and I hope to enjoy it next time I am here.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Wagin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Last night of a 10 night stay. What a fantastic time we have had. Pool suite, beautiful, staff exceptional. Tresna and Bayou were absolutely great and went out of their way to help us, the service by the staff was wonderful. Nice spot, close to everything but lovely and quiet. Thank you to all at the Sandi Phala for looking after us so well.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Sandi Phala? Share your experiences!