“Unfortunately there isn't a rating lower than Terrible” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Breweries, Food & Drink
Devonshire
“Unfortunately there isn't a rating lower than Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I decided to stop into North Rock Brewing around 7pm on the way home from dropping a friend at the airport tonight.Restaurant was empty but still took 5 minutes to be seated. The table offered was located against the rear entrance door at the end of the bar overlooking the dumpsters. What was especially precious was a member of the kitchen staff breaking down boxes and trying to stuff them in the dumpster. This was on the side of the restaurant that sits closest to the bar area, which at this time had only one- two person table occupied by other diners. Thought this was an odd seating choice by the waiter, but we just wanted to grab some drinks and a quick meal before heading home. Drink order was placed upon seating, but not received. 15 minutes later (I'm the type of guy that times these things formerly being in the business so to speak), the waiter asked us if we where ready to place our dinner order, no drinks yet! As a matter of fact, there was no bartender, waiter, or maître from that point forward. After another 15 minutes (you guessed it, no drink orders still), I decided just to get up and leave. My wife suggested that we let someone know that we where leaving due to the lack of service; however as stated above no staff members were to be found. So out the back door we went, being so close and convenient.

This was the first time I have been in this particular restaurant for dinner service in 7 years as the previous management employed similar service practices and I refused to spend my hard earned money on such horrific service and marginal food. I see not much has changed and it looks like I'll have to wait for another 7 years to dine at North Rock. Seems doubtful though.

Here's the kicker, I'm a local and as of September 4th this restaurant, as many others on the island, will depend on locals to keep its business going during the off season. We constantly hear that cruise ships, airlines, and hotels are only half-full. I have to wonder if horrible service like this accompanied by high dining costs and marginal food have something to do with it.

If this is the way North Rock Brewing treats a local,I can only imagine how visitors are treated and why they simply do not come to Bermuda anymore.

See you in 2020 North Rock Brewery Maybe.

Visited August 2013

Merrimac, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
“great meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We had been trying all week, but we finally got to this restaurant this evening. This was the best meal we had in Bermuda. We had broiled salmon and the BBQ ribs. Salmon was perfectly cooked and the ribs were great. The meat fell off the bone so we didn't need to use our hands to eat them. The meals came with a choice of starch (rice, fries or potatoes). We got the rice and potatoes and they were both good. The meals also came with really fresh and steamed veggies. The service was a little spotty, but not too bad. Location is in collector's hill--no water view, but much better food than down in Hamilton. Overall, I would recommend this restaurant.

Visited July 2013
Mohnton, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
“Great Experience at North Rock!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We loved our dinner and service at the North Rock Brewing Company. The service was excellent, the servers were attentive and had a good sense of humor. We ordered an appetizer (brussel sprouts), entree and dessert and all three were outstanding. The North Rock Brewing Company is under new ownership and you can tell they are doing their best to create a memorable experience. We would definitely go back.

Visited June 2012
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
“HORRIBLE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I have never written a review before but really feel that people should be warned about this place. The manager that greeted us was extremely rude!! We actually had new customers come in, were sat, their drinks brought out, ordered, AND their food brought out before we even received our drinks and placed an order…. The waiter had to walk by our table each time and noticed… yet did nothing about it. Then when I was able to flag down another waiter, he rushed us to get our order in because the kitchen was closing even though we had been sitting there for almost 45 minutes. When we finally received our meal - the tuna tartar was very good however, my fries were ice cold.
I had just proposed to my grilfriend earlier that afternoon and we were looking to celebrate and instead, had a miserable experience. The worst part was I had to pay over $100.00 to be treated that way! There are plenty of outstanding, friendly places to eat in Bermuda, trust me, find somewhere else to go!

Visited July 2011
Columbia, South Carolina
18 attraction reviews
“Good food, service fine"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Spouse and I ate here twice, once on a Saturday night (restaurant busy) and on a Monday night (not busy). There is a special Monday to Thursday fixed price 3 course menu (restricted somewhat from open menu), but reasonably priced ($28) for Bermuda. Our Saturday dinner for 2 cost the same as our Monday dinner for 3. The food was good. Nothing was gourmet, but local fish and steaks were tasty and well prepared. Service was fine both nights ( whether restaurant busy or not); we did have to ask for water refills several times, but other than that, it was good. Restaurant/pub was close to were we stayed and I would eat here again if in the area. Good value

Visited June 2011