“Not more than 2-3*” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sandys Parish
London
“Not more than 2-3*”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

I have been meaning to review this hotel for some time. I can not believe the prices they charge here. I assumed from the pictures this would be a glamorous 5 star experience on stilts over the water considering that a week here cost thousands. Instead as reviewers suggest, it was glorified camping in tents.

We heard banging music every night from locals down the beach having parties every night so were exhausted every day. Quite a long walk in the heat to the nearest shop but you will need to make that trip since the food served on site is a rip off and not good either. I found Bermuda to be a very boring place generally and the beaches were not great. The term "9 beaches" is somewhat misleading too. The should call it "9 small areas of sand- some of which are about 4x4 metres". There was probably 1 area I would describe as a beach and it had a lot of seaweed etc. Obviously not their fault but I find swimming amongst algae and so on, gross.

I ordered calamari at the restaurant on one occasion and the batter was still wet! Uncooked wet batter as you bit into the calamari and any calamari was somewhat accidental because most of it was just deep fried balls of batter. Disgusting. Did not eat there again which was a pain since this resort is far away from any other eatery. It was OK but I would say £60-80 quid a night is the absolute maximum I would pay and certainly not the near £300 odd a night we were charged.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

9 Beaches was a great place to stay for my girlfriend and I. Yes, the cabanas have canvas walls but that is a great plus as you can hear the waves that much easier at night while you sleep. For the person that was "afraid" because the walls flapped in the wind? Lol, well sounds like that person is the kind of person that carries a poodle in her purse. No, 9 Beaches isn't the place where you can expect room service, total pampering, or absolute luxury but if you want to stay on a beautiful beach and let the sound of the waves lull you to sleep then this is the place you want to be; a place to get away from the world. This place was amazing, staff was absolutely friendly, and the cabanas were clean and confortable. The only negative aspect I can think of it is that it is on the other side of the island from all the shopping and activities but I came here to get away from all the hustle and bustle so it suited me just fine. Besides, it was only about 30-40 min bus ride to get to the city center. Hope this review helps!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010 via mobile

This hotel is not a hotel, it is upscale camping. The rooms are tents, made of canvas. While they are nice, they come with a can of bug spray as an amenity, need I say more. I could not sleep at night, I was so frightened. It is pitch black and you're sleeping in this canvas room and when the wind blows your walls flap and it scares the sh## out of you. The food and beverage is average. The beaches are average. If you are 19 years old and usually stay at youth hostiles, this place is for you. Otherwise, run from this place.

• Stayed October 2009
Houston, Tx
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

To be fair and to piggyback my last review... I have now received my refund and I am now satisfied with 9 Beaches.

I cannot edit my last review, but they were faithful to refund my money. Thank you 9 Beaches, I will still consider you for any future Bermuda stays.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

Another atypical review because of an atypical situation...

Like the last reviewer, I was disappointed when I found out in late May 2010 that 9 Beaches was closing for a year to do extensive renovations, and was canceling my stay for the weekend of June 18-21, 2010 - my honeymoon! My disappointment, however, was first lessened and eventually eliminated by the staff at 9 Beaches. They addressed all of my obvious concerns, then went above and beyond to make sure I knew that the inconvenience that they caused me was troubling to them as well. My wife and I are headed to a different resort instead, and can't wait to visit 9 Beaches when it's ready next year!

Kudos to 9 Beaches for handling an incredibly unfortunate situation with grace and understanding - I'm happy with the way I was treated, and at a resort I never even visited!

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

This is rather an odd review, but I feel compelled to write. I made a reservation for my mom, sister and me for this June through Travelocity. When I called to check up on a question, you can imagine my surprise when the recorded message said the resort was closed for renovations through next summer. When I did get hold of a person, I was so favorably impressed by the sensitive, responsive and kind support I got from the 9 Beaches staff. My lodging was re-routed to a different resort and I had several emails and calls checking up on me to make sure everything was all set. In a world where life is too often impersonal and where too many things are somebody else's fault, I was warmed by the treatment I received from 9 Beaches. Can't wait to actually stay there next summer!

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

In March of 2010 I made a reservation at 9 Beaches for October of 2010 to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. Originally I booked a top banana cabana with an all inclusive package. I was thrilled when a couple weeks later I received a phone call saying that one of the paradise pier cabanas opened up. We were able to switch (there was an increase in price which was fine) to one of the cabanas on stilts over the water. So far the customer service was wonderful…very helpful…we were really looking for to our first trip to Bermuda.
In April I came across a review stating that 9 Beaches was delaying the opening date. This made me nervous so I called 9 Beaches and was informed that they had storm damage & the repairs were taking longer than anticipated. I was assured that there would be no issue with our October reservation. On Friday May 14th just before 5:00pm I received an e mail from 9 Beaches stating that they were not going to be opening for the 2010 season due to the storm damage. My husband & I were very disappointed to say the least. However we were pleased to see that 9 Beaches offered 2 other resorts that would honor the rate that we had booked. After many unanswered phone calls & e mails to 9 Beaches we finally got an e mail response on May 21st stating that since we had contacted one of the resorts they requested directly that they would be unable to transfer the reservation therefore our rate would not be honored. This will end up costing us much more money. The email went on to say, 9 Beaches was canceling our reservation and refunding our deposit of $680.00. I sent an e mail back letting them know that we had not put down a deposit at the other resort & asked that they please transfer the reservation for us. Several days later I sent another e mail asking 9 Beaches to advise me how to proceed…my e mail also said that I had a room being held (without a deposit) at the other resort & needed to put a deposit by the end of the business day (2 days later). Unfortunately the response from 9 Beaches didn’t come in time so I put down a deposit at the other resort. The next message from 9 Beaches came on May 26th saying that the deposit would be returned and that this may take a couple of business days. After I sent several more e mails inquiring about our refund on June 3rd I was informed that the refund of my deposit had been put on hold. I then requested to be put in contact with someone who could explain why our refund was put on hold. I received another e mail on June 4th stating that the refund had been processed. June 8th, the refund posted to my credit card. It doesn’t seem fair it took 17 business days before we received our refund.
I understand storm damage is unavoidable. However we feel it was unfair of 9 Beaches to not mention they were under going an $80 million renovation, that it was not just storm damage. What we found completely unacceptable is the way we were notified & the fact that nobody was available to answer any questions for such a long period of time.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to 9 Beaches Resort? Share your experiences!