“Happy with the way it all worked out” 5 of 5 stars

9 Beaches Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   4 Daniels Head Rd, MA BX, Bermuda   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sandys Parish
Boston
“Happy with the way it all worked out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

Another atypical review because of an atypical situation...

Like the last reviewer, I was disappointed when I found out in late May 2010 that 9 Beaches was closing for a year to do extensive renovations, and was canceling my stay for the weekend of June 18-21, 2010 - my honeymoon! My disappointment, however, was first lessened and eventually eliminated by the staff at 9 Beaches. They addressed all of my obvious concerns, then went above and beyond to make sure I knew that the inconvenience that they caused me was troubling to them as well. My wife and I are headed to a different resort instead, and can't wait to visit 9 Beaches when it's ready next year!

Kudos to 9 Beaches for handling an incredibly unfortunate situation with grace and understanding - I'm happy with the way I was treated, and at a resort I never even visited!

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

This is rather an odd review, but I feel compelled to write. I made a reservation for my mom, sister and me for this June through Travelocity. When I called to check up on a question, you can imagine my surprise when the recorded message said the resort was closed for renovations through next summer. When I did get hold of a person, I was so favorably impressed by the sensitive, responsive and kind support I got from the 9 Beaches staff. My lodging was re-routed to a different resort and I had several emails and calls checking up on me to make sure everything was all set. In a world where life is too often impersonal and where too many things are somebody else's fault, I was warmed by the treatment I received from 9 Beaches. Can't wait to actually stay there next summer!

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

In March of 2010 I made a reservation at 9 Beaches for October of 2010 to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. Originally I booked a top banana cabana with an all inclusive package. I was thrilled when a couple weeks later I received a phone call saying that one of the paradise pier cabanas opened up. We were able to switch (there was an increase in price which was fine) to one of the cabanas on stilts over the water. So far the customer service was wonderful…very helpful…we were really looking for to our first trip to Bermuda.
In April I came across a review stating that 9 Beaches was delaying the opening date. This made me nervous so I called 9 Beaches and was informed that they had storm damage & the repairs were taking longer than anticipated. I was assured that there would be no issue with our October reservation. On Friday May 14th just before 5:00pm I received an e mail from 9 Beaches stating that they were not going to be opening for the 2010 season due to the storm damage. My husband & I were very disappointed to say the least. However we were pleased to see that 9 Beaches offered 2 other resorts that would honor the rate that we had booked. After many unanswered phone calls & e mails to 9 Beaches we finally got an e mail response on May 21st stating that since we had contacted one of the resorts they requested directly that they would be unable to transfer the reservation therefore our rate would not be honored. This will end up costing us much more money. The email went on to say, 9 Beaches was canceling our reservation and refunding our deposit of $680.00. I sent an e mail back letting them know that we had not put down a deposit at the other resort & asked that they please transfer the reservation for us. Several days later I sent another e mail asking 9 Beaches to advise me how to proceed…my e mail also said that I had a room being held (without a deposit) at the other resort & needed to put a deposit by the end of the business day (2 days later). Unfortunately the response from 9 Beaches didn’t come in time so I put down a deposit at the other resort. The next message from 9 Beaches came on May 26th saying that the deposit would be returned and that this may take a couple of business days. After I sent several more e mails inquiring about our refund on June 3rd I was informed that the refund of my deposit had been put on hold. I then requested to be put in contact with someone who could explain why our refund was put on hold. I received another e mail on June 4th stating that the refund had been processed. June 8th, the refund posted to my credit card. It doesn’t seem fair it took 17 business days before we received our refund.
I understand storm damage is unavoidable. However we feel it was unfair of 9 Beaches to not mention they were under going an $80 million renovation, that it was not just storm damage. What we found completely unacceptable is the way we were notified & the fact that nobody was available to answer any questions for such a long period of time.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Owings Mills, Md
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

Help! I just received the email cancelling my trip today! I leave June 19 for Bermuda! I'll just move over to another hotel they offer...at this point, I don't care! 9 Beaches is offering Pompono Beach as an alternative...but some of these posts scare me....Will they adhere to this????

Why did I just find out today ...when others found out sooner!!!!!!!!

What should I do? No one has replied to any of my emails yet from 9 beaches

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

I am the boyfriend of merde001 below who posted the first review about 9 beaches being closed “due to storms”. After MUCH work—i.e. hours of phone calls, waiting on hold and e-mails, and NO HELP whatsoever from 9 Beaches we achieved a refund from the travel site we booked through and are going to Tulum Mexico in a few weeks. And we are happy to put this all behind us.

But a new development is prompting me to post address this ordeal once more.

The entire reason that we had booked this hotel and decided on Bermuda for that matter was the cabana experience so the hotels offered as replacement did not fit what we were looking for at all. We had been communicating with the general manager of this hotel via e-mail after we learned that the resort would not be able to accept our reservation about two weeks prior to our planned arrival date. Since we had booked the hotel as part of a package, we were initially told by Orbitz we couldn't just cancel the hotel reservation without incurring a $150 change fee per airline ticket. In the meantime, my girlfriend had left the below review regarding our horrible experience with the hotel. The general manager immediately responded to our e-mail stating:

“…we are but a small privately owned hotel (with about 50 staff who rely on us for income in order that they can feed, clothe, and house their families both in Bermuda and around the world, literally). We are trying to work through this tragic set of circumstances which were totally beyond our control. Regrettably as Trip Advisor is so effective we have received many calls and emails since your posting appeared from people who wish to cancel their reservations. Under the circumstances could I ask if you can you feel any way clear to ask Trip Advisor to withdraw your comments?”

We responded that we could not remove the review because we did not want others to experience the same trouble and headaches that we had encountered. We also requested that the resort cover the change fees for our airline tickets, a total of $300. We said we would promptly remove the review if this was done. To this request, we received no response from the manager at all. Instead, the manager left the below response to our review here on Tripadvisor. After spending countless hours on the phone trying to re-arrange our travel plans at the last minute, we thought that this was not an unreasonable request. The sympathy that the manager had tried to extract from us by the mentioning that they are a small privately owned hotel had initially made us feel very guilty and regretful about the initial harsh review….

That feeling was quickly lost when we found out that “9 Beaches resort (was) to close for $80m redevelopment”.

See the link here: http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Article/article.jsp?articleId=7da57cb30030000&sectionId=60

We received no response, no reimbursement and ultimately no resolution on behalf of 9 Beaches. After enough hours spent on the phone finally talking to right people, we were able to get a full refund of our trip through Orbitz. 9 Beaches did nothing other than ignore us and our requests and in addition try to make US feel bad for THEM ruining our vacation. The ethics and poor business practices demonstrated by this whole process will definitely make us steer clear of 9 beaches in the future and for you and your desire for a relaxing vacation’s sake, I would advise you to as well.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
sayreville nj
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

Just found out that our trip to 9 Beaches is cancelled b/c the resort will be closed for 2010 to make repairs to damages to their cabanas. Like the previous poster stated, they offered to put us up at other hotels, but that was not what we were looking for in this trip- we wanted the cabana experience!

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY PLACES THAT ARE SIMILAR TO THIS 9 BEACHES CABANA STYLE RESORT- BERMUDA, BAHAMAS, ANYWHERE!?!?!?!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

My boyfriend and I are having the ABSOLUTE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER with this hotel! If you are considering going here DON'T!!!! We booked a trip for May and they NEVER MENTIONED that the hotel was damaged and closed due to storms. Well, it's not going to be open in time and they tried to pawn us off to one of three other... random hotels less than three weeks before our trip (the best of which filled up within 1 hour of receiving an email) We really wanted the cabana experience so we didn't want to do that. We booked a pacakage and are facing all these flight/change cancelliation fees that they won't cover!!!!!!!! This was supposed to be fun and relaxing and is turning into a HUGE NIGHTMARE. All we want is all the money back that we are haiving to pay to change/cancel our trip! Talk about awful customer service!!!See More

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
cabanaman, General Manager at 9 Beaches Resort, responded to this review, April 27, 2010
The set of circumstances that led us to make the decision to delay our opening were unprecedented and very regrettable. We have apologised to every guest who had a reservation with us in May, and through this medium do so willingly again. If there was any way we could have avoided making the decision to delay our opening we would have taken it. Storm damage is not pleasant, it could have been worse. As soon as we knew we were not able to open on time we stopped taking reservations. We emailed every guest (or informed their travel agent where applicable) apologised and mentioned what arrangements we had made. We have selected 3 of the most popular hotels on the Island and gave each guest the choice of selecting one and providing us with their choice, (or ultimately cancelling their reservation). We will contact the selected hotel and make the reservation. The guests will pay no more at the other hotel than the rate they reserved at 9 Beaches. If there is any difference in the price 9 Beaches will pay that difference. Guests will see no more charges on their bill at the new hotel than they would have seen at 9 Beaches.
This is very regrettable set of circumstances, totally out of our control. A blip on the screen compared to other natural events occurring around the world however we cannot but agree that when something happens to you it is very frustrating...and for that we sincerely apologise.

Been to 9 Beaches Resort? Share your experiences!