“Great opporuntity to learn about Bermuda' maritime history” 4 of 5 stars

National Museum of Bermuda
The Keep, Sandys MA 01, Bermuda | The Old Royal Naval Dockyard, MA 01, Bermuda
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Inside the world of secret underground tunnels, shipwrecked explorers and hidden treasure.
Germantown, Tennessee
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Great opporuntity to learn about Bermuda' maritime history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great museum with lots of interesting exhibits. The grounds are historical as well and offer great views. The only downside if the heat and stuffiness inside the main building...... it was about 85 degrees outside and nearly unbearable inside. Other buildings and the basement area were much cooler. A small entrance fee is required but well worth the expense.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Just_Got_Back_Again

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Interesting and beautiful views as well!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have been to Bermuda numerous times, but had never visited the museum and grounds. The museum was very interesting, and we loved walking around the fort grounds. There were a group of goats that were fun to watch following their caretaker to the barn. You are also able to view the dolphin discovery area (swim with the poor creatures). I hate captive dolphins being kept for our entertainment. There was also a very large Leatherback Turtle being held in a very small enclosure. Enough of that.....In any event, the museum and grounds are a good take. Watch out for loads of goat droppings!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank cinrac222
Staten Island, New York
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Better Than Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I'm very impressed from my recent visit to this museum. It used to be a maritime museum but has been expanded over the years to present fairly inclusive coverage of the island. The setting is appropriately in the fort-like grounds surrounding the Commissioner's House of the Royal Naval Dockyard. I was impressed the frankness with which Bermuda's less than picture-perfect history was presented -- including its use as a penal colony during the Boer War and for Irish political prisoners and some African history. Don't miss the exhibit in the ammunition magazine opposite the grotto. And watch out for the "leftovers" of the goats who keep the lawn mowed!

The Commissioner's House, which over many years has been beautifully transformed into good exhibition space, has a commanding view up the length of the island and over any cruise ships docked in Dockyard.

To get here, the ferry ride to/from Hamilton (and St. George in season) is convenient and well worth the time for the ride alone. Alternatively, you can access this site by the regular and reliable bus service. If you need lunch, the Frog & Onion, just outside the front entrance, is my favorite, though there are others nearby as well.

I don't notice what provision there is for those with mobility issues but there is a fair bit of walking.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Andrew_WNY
Putnam, Connecticut
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“History of Bermuda !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Located at Bermudas Royal Dockyard,literately steps away from the cruise ship. Very reasonably priced for such a great attraction. We found it to be very informative and interesting. We Highly recommended it !

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Luvinlife143
Belleville, Illinois
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“The Commissioner’s House”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We visited Bermuda from NCL cruise ship, docked in King’s Wharf. Our balcony was just facing to the Commissioner’s House in National Museum of Bermuda. I watched the fascinating historical house in sun rise and sunset, wanted to visit it on our last day since it was a short walk from the cruise ship. However, it was rain on our second day so we went to there in the afternoon. The Commissioner’s House is on the hill, built with cast iron and limestone. Strong wind made rain whipping to my face when I was walking up to the house. In the ground floor, I walked through artillery, defense and fortifications, felt the safest place here in this rain storm. The first floor has coins and banknotes of Bermuda, history of Bermuda, the slave trade. Standing at the front door, I saw the big cruise ship was blurred out in the rain storm. The second floor has Commissioner’s room and other rooms. The Hall of History is covered by Foster’s mural in 2 floors. Each peace of history of Bermuda was presented on it. Since I had learned some Bermuda history during my walking tour in St. George and visited City Hall in Hamilton, I could recognize many of historical events on the mural. After the Commissioner’s House, we visited High Cave Magazine, Queen’s Exhibition Hall for Shipwreck Island, and Boat Loft and The Great Storehouse Clock. If you are interested in the history of Bermuda, you should visit the museum.

Visited September 2013