“Take this off your bucket list and do it NOW!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 19 Activities in Sandys Parish
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: The Bermuda Hartley's is the original one started in 1958. The two Hartley's currently are run by brothers, son of the man who founded the original.
Waldorf, Maryland
8 attraction reviews
“Take this off your bucket list and do it NOW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We sailed to Bermuda on the NCL's Breakaway. We hadn't been to Bermuda in about 20 years, so I was looking for something different to do when I came across this activity on trip advisor. After reading the reviews and looking at youtube videos we decided this was a must do!
We called about a month before to make reservations and get information. We spoke with the Captain's son who was very nice. We were instructed to call and check the day before once we were in Bermuda to make sure the weather conditions were good for going out. We arrived Wednesday and picked Thursday just in case the weather wasn't great since it would give us Friday as a make-up day. The dive boat was docked just as you got off the ship near the pirate party boat about a 5-7 min walk. It was a beautiful clear day. We were lucky to be the only ones going out that day which gave us more time to really soak it all in.
This was such an amazing experience and well worth the money. Being underwater surrounded by sea life is a great experience. We enjoy snorkeling and have always wanted to try scuba diving before, so this was the next best thing. My son has been scuba diving, but we hadn't. The boat ride over was very nice and the scenery was breathtaking. On the way safety procedures were explained. Captain Andrew explained what we were seeing as we drove along. Greg gave us a very informative presentation about the marine life we would see once below. We felt comfortable and safe during this experience. A dive helmet attached to an air hose is placed on your head once you reach the water at chest level. The helmets are heavy, but it becomes lightweight once you are all the way in the water. The water temperature was very comfortable. Once down on the ocean floor you are lead to a PVC handrail to hold on to. Greg has vast knowledge about the sea life and Bermuda. He is gentle and respectful of the corals and fish since he has been coming to the same location for years. He feeds the fish so the same ones keep coming back. He handles them with ease and then lets you hold them. He has a passion for what he does which shines through! My hair was completely dry throughout the experience you could even wear glasses if necessary.
There were drinks and snacks offered. They take very nice pictures which are put on a CD for you to print when you return home. There is talk of adding wifi so those who are waiting can connect while onboard. This is great for the young and old alike whether you can swim or not. I can't thank Greg and Captain Andrew enough for their hospitality and taking such good care of us. This was truly a once in a life time adventure, but one we would certainly do again!

Visited June 2014

New Jersey
9 attraction reviews
“Loved it! Was afraid I would be too scared to do it, but it was easy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is a fantastic experience! Greg and Andrew (the guy who drove the boat and handled the picture cd) were a great team. We had a small group (only 7 in the group) and we really enjoyed meeting Charlie (the hogfish) and all the other fish friends in the sea. My husband and I will have the pictures to remind us of this once in a lifetime adventure. Thanks, Greg! Well done!

Visited July 2014
Massapequa, New York
“Awesome!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I took this excursion during my cruise in April. I had looked over various things to do and the helmet dive looked like fun. I called to get some information and had a great chat with Greg, and after he answered all my questions I booked the dive. On dive day we had some last minute cancellations, but we went out with our tiny group anyway. Greg spent the time heading out to the dive site telling us what we needed to know to dive safely and what we might expect to see while we were there. At the site we got on our wetsuits (provided free) and down we went. Since our group was so small, we didn't have to break into two dives, and instead of having a short day for himself, Greg gave us a lot of bonus time underwater. This is a man who really enjoys what he's doing. After a fun and educational dive, and having pictures and videos taken, we surfaced and rinsed off, and were given some hot chocolate that his wife had sent along for us. This is probably the best excursion I've been on and worth far more than what he charges. Greg is a blast to chat with and I'll probably take another dive with him soon.

Visited April 2014
Bermuda
24 attraction reviews
“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This was my 2nd helmet dive in 40 years! This time we went with Bronson's son, Greg Hartley and it was awesome--he is so knowledgable about the sea life and Bermuda, and very gentle and respectful of the corals and fish. He handles some of the large fish so easily, it makes everyone feel like Jacques Cousteau! He's especially good with kids. We highly recommend this activity to get acquainted with life in the ocean. It's absolutely gorgeous and clear 10 ft down, safe, and I was really glad to be able to wear my glasses and keep my head dry, too! We'll be back!

Visited July 2014
Parsippany, New Jersey
“Wonderful Experience!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I went on the Rainbow Runner for a trip on June 20th. It was our last day in port..so yes we still had plenty of time to shop after the trip! I had a broken toe at the time and Mr. Hartley and his son were both extremely helpful in getting me off and on the boat. We were also able to find a wetsuit I could put on since I had to wear a watershoe. WOW! I always wanted to be underwater and you will see some beautiful fish, coral and get to touch them! The boat ride was informative and relaxing. The reef around us was absolutely breathtaking!! It was scary knowing that anything could happen to the helmet while down there, but it's only 10 feet and we did not run into complications. There was another tourist who was alone and did not speak English well and he (along with our group members) assisted her. We even saw a sea turtle and barracuda...right after we got out of the water!!!!

The helmets were not as heavy as I thought they would be..and I'm only 5 feet small!

Don't miss out on this experience!! It is well worth the price...and buy the darn pictures people! :)

Visited June 2014