“Bermuda Perfection” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sandys Parish
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Bermuda Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

We had visited Cambridge Beaches for dinner many times during our trips to Bermuda (30 by estimate) but never stayed there. Treated ourselves to the Windswept cottage and it was well worth the investment. The property is terrific and the staff treated us like family during our stay. We enjoyed the MAP option and took advantage of the dine around as well. The dining options were enjoyable although we had a luke warm experience at the Breezes (wait staff needs to be re-trained, not very accommodating or attentive - maybe it was an off night). By far, this was our favorite visit to Bermuda and given our loyalty to the island - that's saying a lot.

Room Tip: Windswept and Turtle Cove are tops but all of the ocean front options are nice.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We returned on July 12th from a fabulous vacation at Cambridge Beaches. My wife and I could not have asked for anything more. I did get concerned when I read prior reviews over the last six months, but the positive reviews far outweighed the negative and we were not disappointed. Our suite was immaculate and had the best view you could possibly imagine. As far as prior posts about having to be a return guest to get a great view/room, totally false as this was our first trip. I would highly recommend the Cambridge/Cove Suites (not sure if they take requests) as you were basically on top of the water with an incredible view of Long Bay/Atlantic Ocean. The patio was very large and mostly private and the two lounge chairs in the grass at the edge of the cliff was a great touch. I assume the views at other rooms like Long Bay, Daniel's Head and Westerly are all very similar as they were right next to our suites.

The Cambridge Suite offers a pretty large living room and bedroom, separated with doors for each. The bathroom was a decent size and the shower with it's multiple water flows was a great touch. Overall, a very comfortable experience with lots of space for hanging out in the living room, bedroom or patio. One suggestion, I would put a tv in the bedroom. The couch did have a pull out bed so you can watch tv in comfort at night, but just used to having a tv in the bedroom as well. Lastly, we did not experience one ant, roach/ waterbug on the entire trip in our room. Doesn't mean they are not around as saw a couple at night near the pool. We did make an effort to not leave food laying around and did close the patio door at night. I can see where they could sneak in if you left it open in the evening, but like I said, we saw none.

I would highly recommend Breezes for dinner. We ate there twice and both dinners were excellent. We saw an amazing sunset the first night, was a bit cloudy each of the next nights. We never ate at Tamarisk, liked the casual atmosphere on the beach at Breezes. We ventured out a lot and unlike a couple prior posts, the scooter experience was not only fun but convenient. It was a five minute ride to the Royal Naval Dockyard and only about 15 minutes over to Horseshoe Bay Beach where the view/beach was awesome. We had the scooter ($85) for two days and there were restaurants (Salt Rock Grill has sushi and pub food on the other side of the road) very close on the way to the Dockyard. Would get it for more days next time. There was also a store where you could go and pick up beer, wine, soft drinks at much more reasonable prices than what they wanted to stock your fridge. The savings actually paid for the moped for one day....huge difference in price.

I do agree that the beaches at some of the other resorts (we crashed a few) were more like beaches we are used to with waves and deeper water, but if you did want to wade out into the water you could do so at Morning Beach near the pool/marina. The view was so much more relaxing at Long Bay Beach, but you did have to go out at high tide or pretty far to be able to enjoy a nice swim.

We are not big shoppers so never made it over to Hamilton. To many turns as well for my scooter skills, but we never needed to venture out that far away. Driving between Elbow Beach and the Royal Naval Dockyard, there were plenty of places to go to see, eat and kill time. Also recommend The Swizzle (between Horseshoe Bay and Elbow Beach), plenty of scooter parking and a great atmosphere with a mix of locals and tourists....not to mention very good casual food and drinks. The scooter drive was nice as you only had one real turn at Barnes Corner, everything was fairly easy, just stay left. Plus, the resort itself was beautiful and we didn't even leave the first two days.

Highly recommend Cambridge Beaches and the West side of Bermuda. This hotel was in a perfect location for us and we had plenty to do during our 6 days there. Didn't see any kids so it was very quiet and we just had such an amazing view, all told was a very romantic and relaxing vacation. They had wired internet in the room, but I was glad I didn't bring my computer. The did have wireless in the lobby/library which did work easily if you needed to indulge. Lastly, there was also a jet ski tour at the marina and it was $20 cheaper than what they offered at the Dockyard. A nice 75 minute trip around the island. We would definitely return and hope to do so one day soon.

Room Tip: Highly recommend Cove Suites. All I asked for was a great view of the water and let them know that...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Westwood, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Everything was absolutely perfect. We were in a room that had a private porch with an umbrella, table and lounge chairs overlooking the Breezes restaurant and the water. The staff is friendly and accommodating and we relaxed on the beautiful beach, reading, swimming, and napping under the tiki umbrellas. During the week, the only sound was the birds in the trees and on the water. No children, no radios and food and drink can be brought to you, should you want it. We loved the Monday night dinner at the Breezes that began with complimentary rum swizzles and a barbeque on the beach. Local disc jockey, "Uncle" played music and added his voice as we ate and the sun went down. We had planned to eat in the Tamarisk dining room our last night but changed our minds and went back to the Breezes where we could eat on the beach, enjoy a lovely bottle of wine, the local grilled rock fish and watch the sun set. Tea at 4 p.m. is generous and the pastries were delicious. The included breakfast was substantial with loads of fresh fruit, eggs cooked to order and unlimited coffee. I can't think of anything else that I needed while we were there, except more days and nights. It was very hard to leave such a beautiful place. We walked all around the property, noting the names of the suites so we will know what to request when we go back. And we definitely plan to go back as soon as we can!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

This was our once-in-a-lifetime honeymoon vacation. We would not have been able to afford Cambridge Beaches, if not for a huge gift from the in-laws. We researched this trip heavily and thought we had chosen the right place. The "5 private beaches" we read about were actually 3, and hardly beaches. The water was still and very shallow - up to our knees at the point where the seaweed rug in the sand began. We wanted to swim, and these were more like wading pools.
The resort property was beautiful, our waterfront cottage was immaculate and charming, and the staff was incredible! They may be the most patient people on the planet. Our fellow guests were less than cordial, at times downright mean to the staff. That set an odd ambiance for our meals and common areas in the resort. The breakfast was great, the dinner on the beach very romantic (aside from a photo shoot for new promo materials happening in front of us at the point of sunset). Overall, we had fun, but would not stay here again. Elbow beach, Fairmont Southhampton, and Coco Reef all looked fantastic as we passed by on the bus and stayed the day on "their" beaches.

Room Tip: Get a bus pass! It's cheap, easy, convenient and safe (way more so than those mopeds!). The driv...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
CEO144, Owner at Cambridge Beaches, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
First, thank you for choosing Cambridge Beaches for your honeymoon—and congratulations on your recent nuptials! I am glad to hear that you found the Cambridge Beaches resort beautiful, your accommodations charming, and our staff incredible and helpful. We pride ourselves on creating exceptional experiences for our guests—and especially those like you who are celebrating once-in-a-lifetime occasions such as yours.

Just as our property name suggests, the outstanding beaches located on our resort’s own property—located on the western end of the island of Bermuda—are always cited as major reasons that guests choose us and why they frequently return for subsequent visits. As you know, our resort is nearly surrounded by the sea, and we generally find that our private beaches (Long Bay, Morning Beach, Turtle Cove and Pegem) offer something for every shore lover, from gentle, shallow bays to deeper water more suitable for swimming. I am disappointed to hear that you were seeking a different type of beach experience.

Of course, should you choose to return, we would love the opportunity to welcome you again to Cambridge Beaches on another occasion.

Cheers,
Michael J. Winfield JP, Cambridge Beaches Resort & Spa, president and CEO
Racine, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

I stayed at Cambridge Beaches 40 years ago and never forgot it. My husband and I decided to get out of cold, snowy Wisconsin and decided that five days at Cambridge Beaches would be perfect for us. It was. We were on modified American plan....the food each meal and tea were wonderful...our little pink cottage overlooking the Mangrove cove was darling and comfortable. We read, painted, photographed and were able to visit all over the island. We came off-season so we got excellent rates.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

In spite of some of the negative comments in previous reviews, I began with the assumption that Cambridge Beaches was a five star resort. I had specific conversations with my Virtuoso travel agent about some concerns in advance, hoping to avoid some of the problems other reviewers had pointed out.

Here were some great things about the property. It is beautiful. The pool area is stunning and the pool is long enough to swim laps. Although the hotel was full, nowhere was ever crowded. Having a choice of beaches makes it very pleasant to spend a lot of time on the property. Our room was renovated, large, and clean (it was a deluxe premium water view). The concierge was willing to investigate anything she did not know the answer to. (Although she apparently did not know that on Hamilton "harbor nights" there are extra ferries from Dockyard, and so she gave us incorrect information). It was very easy to relax here. Breezes restaurant is right on the water. Our table was literally on the sand at the water's edge. This was truly amazing, as we watched the beautiful sunset over the water as we ate.

I enjoyed snorkeling off the beach. I was told by the staff that the snorkeling was best at Turtle Cove, a small, unattended beach on the property. I did not see much there. Then someone at the marina told me another place to go -- the rocks to the right off of Breezes -- and that was better.

So here is how it fell short. I took one star away for the following reason alone. The wall between our room (cardinal upper) and the connecting room (heron upper -- there were the usual locked doors between the two rooms) was thin enough that we could hear what was going on there. That included hearing loud private intimate activity, including the bed frame knocking against our common wall. This was very unpleasant. I considered asking for a different room on our second day, but the occupants of the other room checked out, so I did not say anything. I think the room was empty our second night, but it was occupied our third night, and the following morning I was awakened by talking in that room at 6:30 am. If I return to Cambridge Beaches I will make further inquiries about whether any rooms have thicker walls, whether nonconnecting rooms are more sound proof, or whether there are rooms that do not share common walls with the bed in another room.

Then I took away one more star for the following collection of issues: Service at the beaches and pool was lacking. No one ever asked us if we wanted anything to eat or drink when we were at the pool, although there were staff around. At the main beach, there was one server working, and he came by periodically and it was very slow to get anything. Also, there were not enough umbrellas for guests at the beach. Several stands were broken and so there was no covering there. In total, I think there were about 10 umbrellas, and that could only accommodate a small percentage of guests. The sun is brutal and so shade is critical. The stands should be fixed and portable umbrellas readily available.

There is ice water (infused with apple or cucumber -- yummy!) in the front lobby, but nowhere else on the property. (An urn of ice water at the unattended Turtle Cove would make a huge difference). When the bar at the pool was open I could ask for ice water. When it was closed, there was nothing. Given how hot it is, and how customary it is for beach resorts to provide easy access to ice water, I did not like this. Plus, our first two days housekeeping brought ice so we had it in our room. On the third day there was no ice in the bucket. The water from the tap was never cold and certainly not cool enough to drink. There was no place we could get ice ourselves. I called and room service did deliver ice, but it took quite awhile and meanwhile, given the heat, I was very thirsty. There were also only small glasses everywhere. At afternoon tea, ice tea was available. It was room temperature and needed ice to turn it into ice tea. The glasses were so small that by the time I put ice in it there was only enough room for two sips of tea. Since I wanted to take the glass outside with me and not stand at the table refilling it constantly, that was frustrating. I know there were taller glasses. If you asked for ice tea at breakfast it was served in a normal size glass. I do not know why other times only small glasses were available.

There was a snafu about our room assignment. My travel agent told me which building I would be in. She even confirmed for me that the room I was assigned was renovated and had an unobstructed view of the open water. So when I checked in and was assigned a different room, I questioned it. The woman told me they do not guarantee rooms, which is an acceptable policy but it was different from what I was told. I give her credit for responding appropriately. She said the room in the building I thought I was going to was available but had not been cleaned and that I could look at the two rooms and compare. Well, the room I expected to have did not appear renovated and did not have an unobstructed view. Sitting on the private patio I would have been unable to see the water; I could only do that if I stood up. So we kept the room they wanted to give us, even though it had a view of the harbor not the open water (obviously, it is purely a matter of preference which a guest would prefer). It was high up on the property and did not get the benefit of any breeze off the water. It also had no shade. I could not sit on the patio at any time because it was always too hot. (By the water, in the shade, it was always comfortable).

The food was mixed. The breakfast buffet was more than acceptable, and I enjoyed the fresh made waffles, but it was nothing special. The grilled rockfish at Breezes was delicious. Other fish was dried out. We were not expecting the food to be great, and so we were not disappointed.

If you are considering this resort, I would offer the following. It is very far to the pink sand beaches with rolling waves on the south shore. You either take the bus or a taxi. If you have any limitations about walking, you really have to take a taxi, and that is very expensive. This property is close to Dockyard, where two large cruise ships were docked while we were there. Some guests might enjoy that area for shopping, but that was not my interest. We did eat at a restaurant in Somerset (Country Squire), which we could walk to, for a change, which was fine. (We did not get the meal plan that included dinner because we wanted some flexibility). We also took the ferry to Hamilton from Dockyard.

Other than the problem I described in our room, this is a quiet resort. We ate lunch at the beach restaurant at Elbow Beach Resort one day, and it felt totally different, especially because there were many, many children. Cambridge Beaches is a good place to get away from children, if that's what you want.

I hope this is helpful to others considering this property. Next time I go to Bermuda, I expect to try someplace different so that I can compare.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
CEO144, Owner at Cambridge Beaches, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Polli, I am glad to hear that you found the Cambridge Beaches resort beautiful and relaxing, our pools and on-property beaches to your liking, and our on-the-water Breezes restaurant (it is in fact Bermuda’s only beachfront restaurant with unobstructed sunset views) an amazing experience. I only wish we could take credit for the beautiful sunsets!

However, I am sorry to hear that your experience included hearing activity in an adjoining guest room, and that you encountered issues at the pool and beaches. As you know, we pride ourselves on delivering exceptional service and experiences to all our guests. Please know that we value your feedback and will work to ensure that guests always are made as comfortable as possible with plentiful umbrellas, ice, and cold water.

As for the distance from our resort to other beaches on the southern shore of the island, we know that our private and secluded location on the western end of Bermuda—and our many outstanding beaches on the resort’s own property—are major reasons that guests choose us and why they frequently return for subsequent visits. We certainly hope to welcome you again to Cambridge Beaches on another occasion.

Best,
Michael J. Winfield JP, Cambridge Beaches Resort & Spa, president and CEO
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

We just returned from a 6 night stay and couldn't have been happier with the resort. The fact that the grounds are easy to walk, there are multiple beaches, an indoor and outdoor pool made this a great vacation for us. Quite a few of the reviews mentioned that is was a quiet resort and that's just what we wanted - we weren't looking to party til the wee hours of the morning. We would highly recommend this resort. We prefer the cottages scattered around the grounds rather than a high rise hotel. The staff is exceptional - friendly, helpful, all service is given with a smile!! Kudos to all of the wait staff. Extra kudos to George and Larry, the guest ambassadors. Extra Extra kudos to Steven who drove us to the Dockyards to catch a ferry when our taxi never showed !! We stayed in a Cambridge Suite and loved having a separate living room and an extra closet to store our luggage. Both the bedroom and the bathroom were spacious. The king size bed was very comfortable.
We read in their literature, and have also read some reviews about bugs in guest rooms - we did have a few ants in our room but they were limited to the bathroom (no big deal for us.) We did not have any water bugs in our room (what some might think is a roach.)
We took advantage of the spa - we had a couples massage and I had what you could consider a mini manicure (file and polish).
Dining - We loved the breakfast buffet each morning. Alot of options so we never got bored. We did have dinner one night at Breezes and enjoyed the meal. If you are not on the meal plan, I would recommend taking the short walk to the Salt Rock Grill - very casual and the food was delicious. If you venture into Hamilton, I would recommend The Lobster Pot.
Out and About - Take advantage of the complimentary shuttle to the Dockyards and spend the day. We spent over 2 hours at the museum and enjoyed it. I would recommend also a walk around Hamilton. Unfortunately we got there later in the day and didn't have the chance to take advantage of things to do there (ex - City Hall and Arts Center.)
All in all this was our best vacation - Alot to do in Bermuda...........we'll have to go back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Cambridge Beaches? Share your experiences!