“Great place to stay if you're more interested in Bermuda than your hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clear View Suites & Villas

Save Saved
You added Clear View Suites & Villas to your Saves list
Clear View Suites & Villas
Sandy Lane, CR02, Bermuda   |
Philadelphia, PA
“Great place to stay if you're more interested in Bermuda than your hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

You really just won't get a better value at a reasonable property in Bermuda. It's walkable to one of the prettiest beaches on the island as well as the bus stops, and the staff is very nice. That being said, it hasn't been updated in a while, the pool is small, and lapses in housekeeping may lead to the occasional cockroach or ant (which is true at any cottage colony in Bermuda). Personally, I don't go to Bermuda for the hotel; I go for the island. So Clear View was fine by me. Its central-ish location makes it easily accessible to all island attractions. There are a few semi-walkable restaurants nearby, and there's always delivery in the absence of an overpriced hotel restaurant/bar on the property. It's basically a Bermudified version of a Motel 6 from 1975, only the management and staff are all very friendly and the residential street on which it is situated is friendly and accessible. You get what you pay for, and when that's less than half of what it costs to stay nearly anywhere else in Bermuda, I'm happy to accept the foibles!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Gatlinburg, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

I stayed in an old house that I guess they call a villa. It was a two bedroom house with kitchen, dinning room, and livingroom. Much more than I needed, but priced right. It was next door to a very nice resturaunt where I took many of my meals. If you are going for the beaches, this is not the place you want to stay. But then, nothing is every too far away on this island.

Room Tip: Perhaps one of the suites in the new structures would have views and more comfort.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

My room in the "rose" building was overrun with cockroaches, smelled like stale urine, was last carpeted (orange with brown stains) in probably 1975, had a broken sliding patio door latch, toilet was not bolted down, and it was "snowing" the whole time with paint falling from the ceiling. Anytime the lights were off the roaches would come out, crawling over the dishes in the dish cabinet, bathroom sink, and kitchen sink. This aberration of a hotel is proof that either there is no health inspector in Bermuda or that he is being bribed (or possibly that he is a relative of the owner ). I will be writing to the Bermudan Government regarding this place. In agreement with the other reviewers- the locals are embarrassed that this aberration is allowed to stay in business there. Avoid this place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011 via mobile

Bermuda resorts are pricey. We booked our airfare before realizing that it was race week. Overall the cottage was a bit dated, but clean. The service was great. We saw one bug during our four night stay, but considering the hotels wanted double or triple what they were charging we took it in stride. The views were phenomenal, and we saw that they were building new cottages. The pool is small, but close by and lovely.

• Stayed June 2011
Belleville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

Quite surprised by the other commentary. I was pleased with my room ... very clean. I see they are under renovation ... beautiful new rooms, new pool to be installed. Very pleased ... will deifinitely stay there when I go back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Through a weird routing from our frequent flier tickets we were routed through Bermuda for one night on our way home to the US from London. I did not do my usual checking and just booked a place close to the airport. What a mistake. The place was incredibly dated and run down. We had a two bedroom villa (basically a small house) with one bathroom (think green tile and pink toilets). Some of the bath towels were badly stained and there was no water pressure. In fact, when we first got in the room, there was no water at all and we had to get someone to fix it. Thankfully, they did come and fix it quickly, but pressure was still lacking. The grounds are not in good shape and the whole place has a run down feel. We did eat at the restaurant which had a decent buffet. Thankfully it was only for one short night, but we could not wait to get out of there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Fort Pierce, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

Clear View Suites & Villas – 28 May 2010
Hamilton Parish, Bermuda

As I write this, I am sitting in the sun on the spacious balcony veranda of Suite 303, Rose Villa, at Clear View Suites and Villas, Hamilton Parish, Bermuda.

It is peaceful. It is relaxing. This is not “luxury”, this is comfort.

I have, unlike previous visitors who have posted here, no complaints.

The sun will soon set in the West and I’ll be watching it sink into the deep blue Bermuda sea. Nothing obscures my view except two tiny channel markers, about a mile out. After that, the next thing over the horizon is the East Coast of the USA. And, no, I am not paying the ridiculous sum of $600 or more a night for this view and location.

What has always made Bermuda memorable and pleasant for me is the overt courtesy and pleasant attitude of the people who live there. Thankfully, this has not changed since my last visit five years ago and other visits over 35 years. A smile and friendly demeanor on the visitor’s part are always rewarded by the same from these mid-Atlantic islanders. I have never been disappointed when visiting Bermuda.

First impressions of a hotel are often wrong, but after three nights here, I remain fascinated by the Clear View Suites and Villas as a peaceful place for a short rest and relaxation.
My opinions of this small private property, half way between Hamilton and St. George, are positive and 180 degrees from what I first read on Trip Advisor. After reading the horror stories, I expected the worst. I asked several people about this, including the immigration officer and the taxi driver who took me to Clear View and neither one gave me any reason to have concern.

Arriving at this picturesque oceanside spot I knew that I was in the old Bermuda.

Construction of an additional new building with 12 suites here is under way in May 2110, but my suite on the second floor of the older Rose Villa was perfect…suited to my needs and a refreshing change from the fancy, expensive and grossly overpriced "modern" hotels on the island.

Clear View was probably here when I first visited Bermuda thirty years ago. And yes, there are remnants of the past still to be seen and some additional painting and sprucing up would improve the cosmetics. But there are some modern touches as well. For example, my suite had a comfortable king size bed with a slider door out to the balcony looking directly out to sea…a room that in another popular Bermuda hotel would have cost me three times as much as I was paying here. The silence was wonderful. No traffic, no wandering cruise ship tourists, no shops. The pool was lovely, clean and had not a soul around it.

So, forget what you read in the earlier reviews. I think that, though they might have been true at the time, those reports are old and outdated.

This is a very nice, not plush, but comfortable inn off the beaten Bermuda path. For a single or a couple wanting to relax, and be away from the usual resort hustle, I recommend it. For families wanting the attractions, polish, glitz and excitement of a modern hotel, I would say go to one of the bigger, more expensive hotels and enjoy it. Clear View is not for you.

Details:
Check in was fine. I found it to be more reminiscent of checking into old European hotels where everything was casual, and I got all the information I needed. At reception, Ms. Retteray helped me buy a two day bus and ferry pass, ($20), showed me the bus stop right out in front of the hotel, and gave me as much time and help as I needed. She told me about the small market down the road and that my suite had a small refrigerator and stove. A short walk took me to the room. No stairs, no elevators. No bellmen with their hands out for a tip.

Even though it wasn’t needed, the new air conditioning in the room worked, but the sea breeze was better and the balcony/slider, plus the louvered front door to the suite allowed a cooling breeze to bring the inside temperature down nicely.

The tiled bathroom was old style with a real tub and shower, plenty of nice, fluffy towels, (more than I could get a recently visited Hilton to provide), and toiletries from a popular English provider. There was instant hot water and good pressure.

The room carpeting looked new, had no burns, stains or mildew (as is common in evenb the top hotels at times), and was carefully vacuumed….again with more care than a few upscale hotels in the states and Europe would offer.

All told, the three day stay was great and cost me about the price of one night at most other Bermuda hotels.
I would return if the opportunity arises.

Tips:
I booked the reservations through Continental’s on-line hotel site and ended up very pleasantly surprised. However, if I had any questions at booking time, Continental apparently didn’t want to be bothered and simply said on the reservation “call the hotel.” For a hotel outside the CONUS, this is unacceptable. Continental needs to provide a stateside contact for hotel customers. Either they are in the booking business or they aren’t.

Check out shock:
As my other reviews will show, I travel extensively, so I anticipate a certain amount of mark-up at hotels and restaurants. This time I got blindsided. Like many other booking sites, Continental does not exactly tell the truth about the costs. Although my reservation clearly says that the “total cost” is $600 for three nights, my actual hotel bill was $723.58. The receptionist didn’t tell me about this either. So, you should figure on at least 20% being added to your bill. This is not unusual, (major US hotels easily add 25-30 percent in local, state, and other taxes and fees and some top that with esoteric charges like “security fees” and “resort fees”), but I find the escalation of the practice becoming more and more aggravating because it makes planning difficult. If you travel with a budget, this can hurt.

The game of adding on taxes and fees is not going to go away, but it would be far more honest and practical to let travelers know what they will really be paying. As the fees and taxes continue to increase, more and more travelers are going to be unhappy about this sleazy method of attracting customers by showing only part of the actual cost. Yes, the airlines, car rental firms and vacation package providers all do it and other companies have followed suit, but the very least that could be done is to show the percentage of add-ons that users of the booking programs might expect. The fine print catch-all line about “other fees and taxes may apply” is not enough because it makes the final bill open ended. You might think you are going to get a bill for $600 and end up with one for $1,000!!!!

When eventually the total cost includes fees and taxes that actually exceed the base cost of the room, (as is already the case with many airline tickets), I wonder if people will wake up and insist on truth in advertising.

Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Been to Clear View Suites & Villas? Share your experiences!