“Happy that I didn't believe all the Negative Comments” 4 of 5 stars

$150.00 F&B Credit
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto
“Happy that I didn't believe all the Negative Comments”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2005

Just got back on Sunday from Grotto Bay. I stayed for 10 days and I can honestly say I do not regret one minute ! My Fiance and I had never been to Bermuda before, so we weren't entirely sure what to expect with the exception that it was going to be expensive ; ) We both travel quite a bit and I frequently refer to Trip Advisor to read various feed back and comments from other travellers, usually I am pretty good with my own instincts though and like to decide for myself......well Thank God for that because after reading some of the reviews for Grotto Bay I was downright worried sick. I must say that all the positive reviews were a life saver and totally accurate. Grotto Bay serves well as 3 stars as a matter of fact I would even go as far to give it 3 1/2 to 3.75 . It was super clean. The housekeeping staff were simply outstanding. Very friendly and more than patient with our sleeping in pattern and not leaving our room until sometimes after 12 for them to clean. The grounds are spectacular , well maintained, well groomed and the landscaping is phenomenal , especially at the entrance. The staff are all quite friendly and always happy to help. There are activities going from morning to night but we did not participate in any. Instead we chose to check out the island ourselves, which we did by Bus ( Absolutely purchase a Bus Pass , I did at the airport as soon as we landed and saved us a fortune ) The bus stop is literally right at the front of the hotel , it couldn't have been more perfect. The bus was an awesome way to see the island. Clean , comfortable, someone else is doing the driving so that leaves you free to site see and better yet you get to mix with the locals and ask questions if need be. The last few days we rented a Scooter/Moped which the staff at Grotto Bay is easily able to help with . This was an outstanding way for us to drive around the entire island , hoping on and off when ever the mood struck us.
The only warning I can give to people is how expensive everything is , mainly to eat ( especially if your Canadian ) the dollar takes a bit of a hit converted to US. We too, like others, made great use of our in room fridge. There are so many supermarkets and Fine food stores it was easy. * Note there is a great supermarket about 7 minutes from the resort , its on route to hamilton and is located in Shelly Bay , just after the Esso station, its open late ( 10 pm ) , so do yourselves the favour and stack up the fridge.

The restaurants at the resort are all good. I was quite impressed with the grill at the pool . I was expecting that they would only serve hamburgers and hotdogs and was pleasantly surprised to see a full menu featuring wonderful items such as the to-die-for Tomato & Mozzerella salad, the tuna sandwich, definately try the Tempura Shrimp , even the fries were good. Both the Hibiscus Room , and the Palms Court , located inside the resort were great. The staff are more than efficient, freindly and fast and don't mind subsituting items on the menu to satisfy your every craving.
I saved my only negative comments for the end...the pool, its small , but its enough to cool you off and go for a dip, the beach is also small but again its sufficient. There are plenty of chairs and such for everyone and the water is so amazingly beautiful and clean that you can't help but to go in .
Oh, I almost forgot , The caves ! The caves were beautiful , really they are and everyone should walk around the corner and check out Crystal and Fantasy Caves, we loved them.
If you are still reading this far , I apologise for the length. I simply HAD to write in defensive of Grotto Bay. Bermuda is a beautiful, magical place, perfect for serious R & R seekers , which is exactly what my guy and I were seeking. There is no loud partying a'la Spring Break style, there is nothing rude, vulgar or crass about this tiny country . Its a beautiful island , full of warm happy people...with or without their Rum Swizzles...oh and btw Swizzle Inn down the street is ok, not great , JUST ok . Its nice for a change of pace from the resort. Although we found we ate most meals either in Hamilton or in St.Georges .
Grotto is not the Fairmont , if you can afford the $850 a night then go there but if a clean room , roof over your head to keep you warm and dry and a lush sprawling property conviently located within reason , close to all that you need. Then Grotto Bay is a great choice .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2005

My wife and I just returned from a lovely stay at the Grotto Bay Resort. It was a lovely experience. The resort grounds are very beautiful with many unusual plants - nice for a stroll with your loved one. Our room was ground floor ocean front with a great view. It was simple room with a king size bed and very clean and lovely. The resort staff were excellent always ready to please with a bright smile.
It is a quiet resort, very relaxing with small private beaches, a couple of caves and a nice pool. It is somewhat removed from the Bermuda's main towns and villages. However, it is only a short bus ride Hamilton (25 minutes) or St. George (10 minutes). My wife and I chose to rent a scooter. Be advised that I would only recommend this option for experienced moped/motorcycle drivers - it can be a little too exciting because of the "wrong side" of the road driving. But we enjoyed the freedom of visiting the some of the "out of the way" locations on this spectacular island.
Next to the hotel, is a pub/restaurant named the Swizzle Inn. Very old, very British, very good food and only a brief walk (less then 5 minutes). This is a must. I heard it was only for tourists but most the people I met in it were locals.
All in all, Grotto Bay Resort is a clean modest resort with an excellent staff. Enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2005
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2005

My wife and I along with another couple booked a long weekend package at Grotto Bay....Upon reading the hotel's reviews I began to worry we may have made a mistake. I could not have been more wrong!!!

The hotel staff was as friendly and helpful as anywhere I have ever stayed (including Hawaii, Aruba, cruises, etc.). Our room was nothing extraodinary but was very clean and comfortable with a balcony overlooking the bay. The maid service was excellent. The hotel had many nice amenties including hot tub, pool, exercise room and the caves where quite incredible. The private beach was small but very adequate.

I thought the location was great. The bus stopped right in front of the hotel and ran every 15 minutes (we didn't use a taxi one time). Hamilton was about a 25 minute bus ride and St. George was about a 5 minute ride.

Having the Swizzle Inn right next door was very convenient also. They have reasonable food and invented the rum swizzle drink. Like their motto, "You Swizzle Inn and Swagger Out!".

As far as the food at the hotel, we did not think the all-inclusive plan was worth the extra expense so we did not purchase the plan. The only meals we ate in the hotel were 2 breakfasts and they were very good, but a little on the high side ($18 per person). We did not eat dinner at the hotel but met some other guests who did and said it was very good..... I'm just not much of an advocate of an all-inclusive package since I always seem to get hungry when I am the farthest from the hotel.

One word of caution...Our stay was in the off season (mid-March 2005) and the hotel was not crowded at all. In peak season I could see where it may become very congested and it would be hard to take advantage of the pool, hot tub or beaches.

Overall, I was not dissappointed one bit in Grotto Bay and would recommend this hotel for everyone but the most pampered traveller.

• Stayed March 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2005

We just returned from a 7 night stay at the Grotto Bay Beach Hotel and it was lovely! Picturesque ocean views from every room, friendliest and most helpful staff of any hotel we have ever visited from the moment we arrived to the moment we left! The dining room meals in the evening were superb! The hotel itself was beautiful and clean. The underground swimming caves looked like something out of the movie Pirates of the Carribbean...really amazing! Lovely beach and resort grounds. The airport is just over the causeway but you don't hear the planes and the buses to Hamilton and St. George stop right outside of the hotel. The conceirge desk in the hotel provides all the information on Bermuda you will need to enjoy your vacation. We loved our stay and will definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2005

First of all I would like to begin by telling people not to believe every negative thing they hear in these reviews. Some of these reviews are downright exaggerations. I booked this vacation to Grotto Bay a few months ago in an affordable package deal. I began reading these reviews for some background since I had never been to Bermuda or Grotto Bay before. There were so many negative reviews on this hotel that I had wondered if I had made a terrible mistake booking the trip! After 8 days in Grotto Bay (December 28-January 5) I fell in love with the place.

First of all from the moment we arrived until checkout the staff was wonderful. I have no idea what that person was talking about concerning lack of helpful service with luggage and such. Although we could have walked from the main building to our room alone, a bellman instantly took our luggage loaded it into a van and personally escorted us to the hotel room.

We stayed in "Sandy's Lodge" building. The room was clean and tasteful, with a beautiful balcony overlooking the ocean. It had a mini fridge which came in handy for late night snacking. There were absolutely no bugs or pests of any kind in our room but it is a sub tropical island so give the place a break!! The restaraunt was pricey but the food was very good.

The hotel grounds were beautifully kept, including the pool and beach areas. The caves were totally awesome! We had an amazing time diving , swimming, snorkeling, feeding the fish and sunning. There is a great diveshop on site with wonderful staff and they dive all year round. The cooler weather seems to be a re-occuring source of problems for travelers to this hotel. Newsflash:check the weather of your vacation destination before booking, so you can properly blame yourself for the cooler weather which is completely normal for the region...or choose a different destination for that matter. Coming from a chilly upstate NY, the weather was quite toasty for January (low 70's).

Overall we had a relaxing, exciting, amazing time all rolled into one. In all honesty the Grotto Bay is a wonderful hotel. It is what it is and it is not hiding anything from potential guests. People expect to stay in a 5 star hotel for like 115$ a night in one of the most expensive countires in the world....this is simply unrealistic. Grotto Bay is a solid 3 star hotel and a great value! Unfortunately many people refuse to do any research prior to their vacation and then they find themselves unhappy when they find out that there is a staircase to the beach, Bermuda's weather is cooler in january, Bermuda has insects....and other ridiculous complaints which the hotel cannot really control...or any hotel for that matter. If you don't like steps go some place flat....like new jersey. If you don't like bugs any where near you on vacation...good luck finding a destination in any sub tropical or tropical location. I will most definitely go back to Grotto bay and enjoy myself just as much as I did this past vacation :) My advice to all the people who think they are too good for a 3 star hotel..........stop complaining and spring for the 5 star..but don't be surprised if some of the same problems exist!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2005

Just returned from a stay and certainly will not be returning to this hotel in the future.

I requested a smoke free room, however the maid smoked like a chimney while cleaning the room, so -so much for that request!
Serious issues with the staff, not very helpful, no one offered any assistance with luggage, etc. With so many steps to the bungalows, I really would have appreciated some help. The rooms in general were dark and damp. The lack of food/room service after 9 pm. just added to the over-all disappointment. I checked out early and went to another hotel.

My recommendation- spend a little extra money and find a better place.

Chelmsford, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2005

I stayed at Grotto Bay last April and plan a return stay this coming April. The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant. It was wonderful to have evening lectures available on various Bermuda topics and also nature walks. I am a vegetarian, so didn't want the conventional meal plan, but found the mini fridge in the room and the ease of obtaining groceries in St. George, to be a fine feature. I stayed in a room on the hill, but for an able bodied person, it is in no way a hardship. The common areas are nice and relaxing; the grounds are well kept. Best of all, I had somehow managed to leave my traveler's checks in the safe, and the honest staff mailed them to me before I even realized that they were missing. NO, this is not a luxury hotel, but it is very pleasant and a nice family oriented place on a pricy, but especially beautiful island. Also, the bus runs frequently on a route with a stop right outside the grounds.

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!