“Fun and great value” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Fun and great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My long weekend at Grotto Bay in Bermuda was perfect (except for a little weather interference).
I felt welcome from the minute I walked in the door to the friendly advice shared by the concierge staff on things to do and restaurants to try. Their Surf 'N Turf barbecue had a great selection and everyone was up dancing and laughing. The pool and beach are right there and their water sports added to the experience. We rented Boston Whalers for the day and explored reefs and wrecks nearby. What a great escape!!!

Room Tip: Use the advise and services of the concierge
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

1,198 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Burlington, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is my first visit to Bermuda and to Grotto Bay...and my wife's second. Very nice place. Staff are very friendly. Not a gaudy sprawling resort...but charming and different than you typical place. From the whistling treefrogs, to the rooster who will get you going in the morning to the staircase that burns some of the calories you will pack on when eating...just a bit different...in a good way. I have a feeling we will become regulars here! See you next year!

Room Tip: We stayed hillside...long walk to beach but close to dining. Six of one...half dozen the other. I...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We had a great holiday on this beautiful island and the weather was perfect in July.Our holiday was made very enjoyable by the Resident Saga Rep and the Long Serving Customer Service Rep at he Hotel.

PROS: Nice room, Good Restaurants and in the main very friendly staff. The Unlimited bus pass was also a great benefit as the bus stop is outside the hotel. The pool and pool area was good as was the beach. Although lunch was only available at the pool restaurant the food selection on offer was good and well presented.

CONS: The tennis courts were in bad shape; gaping holes in the netting which we had to plug with plastic chairs . The courts and nets however were fine. The variety of "All Inclusive plans strange. Some plans allowed bar use from 12 noon, some all day and ours was 6pm to 10pm STRICTLY ENFORCED! Also some could have alcohol at lunch time and ours was soft drinks only plan. The service at lunch was a bit "hit and miss". Sometimes quite quick but other times very slow. On one occasion the the General Manager arrived for lunch with one of his staff and we therefore had to wait whilst their food was served. The only other problem was regarding beach umbrellas. The attendant didn't like people putting up their own umbrellas ,even if he wasn't there, as this deprived him of tips.

OVERALL: An enjoyable holiday on a very expensive island and well worth going for all-inclusive plans

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3413jpm, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Istanbul 187067,

Glad to hear you enjoyed the friendly staff and service and will recommend our resort. Regarding All Inclusive Supplement, as you mentioned, you were a Saga Tours guest. Due to the contract between Saga and Grotto Bay, based on pricing, your All Inclusive inclusions were modified specifically regarding alcoholic beverage service hours. Except for the Saga contract there is only one All Inclusive Package. Our tennis courts will undergo a major revamp during our off peak period coming up. Please be advised that what food is ordered determines the speed of delivery, I only have salads so no cooking was required thus expediting delivery. Our guests come first. Regarding beach umbrellas being set up, we have a beach attendant and who assists guests with beach umbrellas and who has received numerous accolades by guests so somewhat surprised to see your comments. Please accept my apologies if he did not serve you. Rest assured he is the most friendly and helpful individual and must not have seen you or realized you were looking for an umbrella.

Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Our vacation was wonderful! My husband, daughter (12), son (10) and I spent 4 glorious days at Grotto Bay. Our room overlooked the tranquil bay, was close enough to the pool and beach for comfort but far enough away from the hubbub. There is quite a bit of up and down walking but we enjoyed the exercise and it exhausted the kids. Everyone we dealt with was helpful and went out of their way to give us information, tips and suggestions. We can't wait to go again next summer.

Room Tip: We've stayed by the beach and up by the main house and found both spots great. Not a bad view in...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed at Grotto Bay the first week of October, 2013 and had a very pleasant experience here. Contrary to a review I just read, I found the Front Desk staff, bellmen, gift shop and restaurant wait staff to be very friendly and helpful. I had a room with a private balcony and a beautiful view of the pool and beach area, and the beach, while small, is shallow and safe with little coves, rock outcrops and a wreck to explore. I felt very safe at Grotto Bay as a solo female traveller (while still always being careful), and the easy access to buses outside the main entrance to Hamilton, the capital, St. George and the beaches made travelling around Bermuda very easy. I thought the bus pass available from the Front Desk ($35 for three-day pass, weekly and monthly also available) was a great deal, as I could travel all over the island on the Bermuda buses or the system's ferries to Dockyard, St. George or Hamilton daily. The gas station nearby has the morning newspaper, as well as food and drink staples. I did not do the all-inclusive, as I already had to pay the single supplement (which drives me crazy when a hotel is not full any way - I always think they should be happy to just have another empty room rented!) and I did not consume enough food and beverage onsite to make it worthwhile. However, the restaurant prices were comparable to, and in some cases, slightly less than other Bermudian restaurants (example, expect to pay about $20.00 U.S. in any Bermudian restaurant for fish and chips). When I had dinner in the restaurant on two evenings, the food and service were excellent, and the same was true for the most part at the pool bar. The only two service issues I encountered were: (a) a female bartender at the pool bar who mixed my blended drink carelessly and didn't garnish it properly as the other bartenders had) and (b) the restaurant maître d' who on the first weeknight I wanted to eat alone in the restaurant hesitated because I didn't have a reservation, when the restaurant and hotel were clearly not full, and then tried to steer me to the more expensive of the two dining rooms (Hibiscus Room). I had to tell him that I preferred to eat in the other dining room (Palm Court).

The hotel puts on many activities for its guests. For example, one evening they had two Bermudian stand-up comics, who were very funny, on the front patio. (Weirdly, they did not have anyone serving drinks out on the patio during this time, when they could have made more money. Because it was a small audience, no one wanted to get up from the table to go inside to the bar to avoid disturbing the comedians' performance, so we all sat there for the most part without any drinks..) Another night, they had a karaoke night with the same comedian hosting it - I didn't attend, but I heard that it was very enjoyable and the comedian "Bootsie" was again very funny. The fish-feeding in the morning and afternoon was also fun.

Housekeeping of my room was impeccable, with plentiful fresh towels daily. Contrary to other reviews, the pool was very clean and again, a generous supply of beach towels was available. A Dive Shop and a place to rent snorkel and other non-motorized water sports equipment were right on site, with some non-motorized equipment included in the all-inclusive plan should you choose that. At this time of year (October), the hotel and the island are fairly quiet and peaceful, except when two cruise ships are in (Wednesday - Friday), and this is exactly what I was seeking.

While it's true that internet access was expensive ($6 per half-hour), one has to remember that it is not easily available on Bermuda, and there are only a very few Wi-Fi zones on the island. Consequently, most hotels on Bermuda charge for this service. I therefore enjoyed an "unplugged" week instead, and only used the Internet once for something that was essential.

There is one drawback for the solo female traveller (apart from the single supplement, which deters the solo traveller from also adding the all-inclusive plan), and that is Grotto Bay's lack of proximity to nearby alternative places to dine, especially at night. If one chooses not to take the all-inclusive plan, the only alternative nearby choice is the Swizzle Inn, about a two-block walk from the hotel, or an ice cream shop that was closed most of the time I was at Grotto Bay. The Swizzle Inn was an excellent choice, with great food and beverage (try the rockfish!), events like Oktoberfest and Thursday trivia nights with prizes, but I wanted to try other restaurants on Bermuda, and this required travelling at night by taxi or bus. I felt safe for the most part using the bus to and from other dining establishments at night. One exception was the main bus stop in St. George in the tourist district which is located right outside the liquor store, which is open later at night. This meant there were some local hangers-on that made a few of the tourists (including me) waiting for the bus a little nervous around 9:30 -10 p.m. at night. The police station, though, is situated very close to the location of the bus stop. Bermuda is in some ways much like any other place at the moment, with a downturn in its economy and tourism and a resultant slight increase in crime, and locals told me that one still has to be a bit careful while travelling about the island at night, and about your personal belongings on the busiest beaches (Horseshoe Bay, for example) if you are swimming or snorkelling. On days the cruise ships are in, Horseshoe Bay beach is packed, and you therefore might enjoy some of the very scenic, quieter beaches such as Warwick Long Bay Park or Elbow Beach (all accessible by bus) more.

The proximity of the airport was very convenient, ground transportation to/from the airport to Grotto Bay with Beeline transportation was very inexpensive and pleasant, and the overhead noise did not bother me at all when at the beach or pool. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and kept, and I enjoyed the sound of the whistling tree frogs every night!

Thank you for a lovely stay. Two suggestions: (a) consider offering rooms without the single supplement in off-peak seasons for solo travellers, which might sell more rooms and cause more of them to sign up for the all-inclusive plan. Otherwise the combined room night cost of the single supplement and the all-inclusive plan are more than many solo travellers are willing to pay; and (b) add some kind of unidentifying key tab to safe keys, which are very small and therefore very easy to misplace among beach bags or personal effects, with a likely high replacement cost for the guest. I misplaced my safe key twice and until I found it, was worried both times at what I might be charged for losing it.

Room Tip: The Ocean View rooms give a delightful view of the bay, landscaped grounds, pool and beach front. T...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our vacation could have been a ten if not for the staff. The front desk clerks changed hands often; most were not friendly and rude. They didn't go out of their way to be helpful. It didn't stop there; the housekeeping staff and front deck manager gave us an attitude when we complained about our room not being clean. The restaurant staff wasn't very service oriented either. Most of the channels on the resorts televisions had a picture but no sound; apparently it has been like that for over a month. Again, they didn’t seem to care. Clean house and start with all new employees and we’ll be back.

Room Tip: Be prepard for a lot of climbing stairs. All rooms seem to have a view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3413jpm, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Really disappointed to read your comments regarding staff since we receive numerous very kind comments, matter of fact, I just replied to three emails from guests who recently stayed with us indicating they had a great time and I quote: "one of the best vacations ever had". Your comments are valuable and will be shared with Department Heads, you should have received great service, my apologies! Regarding TV service, we just changed over to digital service now offering over 40 channels. Unfortunately some of the TV's did not pick up sound on some of the channels. I am pleased to announce that those TV's have been replaced as of this week. We unfortunately had to import them and that took a few weeks.
I hope to welcome you back to our resort in the near future so we may show you what we are indeed all about.

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Grotto Bay Beach Resort during March of 2013. The property is awesome - it has a cave with a swimming pool in it! The actual swimming pool was freezing during my stay since the heater broke, which wasn't a big issue. Just keep in mind that it is actually a little chilly in Bermuda if it's not the summer.

The room is nice, but the walls are a little on the thin side. We stayed there for 9 nights, and towards the last couple days my allergies were acting up from the amount of dust in our room. I guess housekeeping isn't that thorough.

Wifi is only offered in the lobby, but when we went there to try and check our emails, it didn't work. So we asked a front desk agent to see if they could attempt fixing it, but they told me that they had no issues with the internet connection, so there definitely wasn't anything wrong with the internet. My boyfriend is a tech nerd, so he knew that the actual problem was that the wifi airport gave out too many ip addresses that day, but they still refused to reboot the system.

Management could use some work, no one, except for the restaurant, knew that there was meant to be someone working by the pool side to take food orders. When someone tried to get a server down there, he took two orders then ran back up. Poor man had to run up and down at least 10 times. Don't ask servers at the restaurant for food recommendations, they'll only recommend the dishes that are very high in price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

I wish to thank you for your comments and wish to advise you that since you stayed with us last March we have had our internet delivery system upgraded and are now offering internet in all our guestrooms. Our buildings are all build with concrete block and this created numerous obstacles to our internet delivery system in the past. Regarding wait service by the pool and beach; our pool and beach service is seasonal and subject to the weather.

JP Martens

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!