“Beautiful Family Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Connecticut
“Beautiful Family Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at Grotto Bay the last week of June, 1st week of July. After doing much research I have to say it was everything I expected. I was very pleased! The grounds are beautiful and very well kept. The rooms were clean and all face the bay. We booked the cheapest room category and although getting in at 1 a.m. we were upgraded to an upper level room. When we checked in I immediately felt the stress melt away. There was a beautiful smell of flowers at the hotel as soon as we got out of the van and the sound of the little tree frogs at night. It just felt perfect! The airport is very close but the planes coming in and out are not loud by any means. Plus it's a small airport so there are not a lot of planes that come in and out through the course of a day. We did not spend a lot of time at the hotel since we were out exploring the island each day but the times we were there we really enjoyed it. The beach is very pretty. It was tough finding 4 chairs during late afternoon but a hotel employee was always eager to find some for people. There were 2 people at the hotel who went above and beyond. One gentleman even offered to drive us to Hamilton on a day the buses were down due to a bus meeting from 9:30-12. I believe his name is Richard but if you go to the buffet breakfast which by the way was delicious then you will see him at the podium greeting people. The other was a female and I did not get her name but she seemed to be in charge of concierge. These 2 were outstanding. I have to say although not awful, the rest of the hotel staff were not over the top friendly or helpful. Again, it wasn't awful but it is just too bad they didn't follow in the footsteps of the other 2 who really stood out with their friendliness to everybody. They treated everybody like family, can't say enough about them!!! We had lunch at the outdoor restaurant and the food was fantastic! The only thing we did not like is they closed down every day at 3:00. We would have loved to come back from the beaches and hang out there with a bite to eat while taking in the view. But the whole island closes early which we did not realize.

We preferred the location of the Grotto Bay over some other hotels on the island. It is close to the airport and close to St. George's which is very pretty and quaint and we met a lot of locals over there and they led us to some really good little breakfast places. We did the buffet at the hotel a couple of times but decided to find other breakfast options that were less expensive. Also loved that the Swizzle Inn was within walking distance, a great option for a meal and a drink :)

The bus stop on the road at the entrance of the hotel was ver convenient. We saw a lot of the island and met a lot of locals just riding on the bus. There are a LOT of bus stops though. Everybody on the island uses them to get back and forth to work, shopping, etc. so it can be a bit time consuming to get from point A to point B. If you are experienced with driving mopeds then I highly recommend renting them for a day or two to do some exploring. We did not because I did not trust myself on their roads. Very narrow and curvy and the bus drivers drive pretty fast.

One of our best days on the island was the day we rented the Boston Whaler Boat from the resort and went out exploring on our own. We rented it for 6 hours and it was so much fun. We ordered a boxed lunch from the hotel the night before and bought drinks at the gas station down the street. They give you a cooler and we asked for noodles and they gladly gave us some. The boat has a canopy if you want to get out of the sun. We went all over the bay areas and saw some of the most amazing beaches and even a shipwreck. Also during our boating excursion we saw many sea turtles, some of them right outside of Grotto Bay as we were bringing the boat back in. That was pretty amazing!!! The guys at the dive shop were very friendly and helpful in telling you all of the good areas to go on the boat.

We loved the Grotto Bay Beach Resort and would definitely stay again if/when we return to the island. Our trip was amazing and the hotel was so beautiful with a homey feel to it. I'd like to thank Mark and Ann Brown from Island Breeze Travel for finding this gem of a place. We were originally booked through a different TA on the Norweigan Breakaway and decided the ship was not for us and would not allow enough time to see the island so I contacted Mark and he quickly found the Grotto Bay for us and I can't tell you how many times during our trip we said how happy we were to have canceled the cruise and to be staying on the island. We could not have done a fraction of what we did on the island if we were on that ship. Thank you Island Breeze Travel!

Room Tip: all rooms face the bay so I really don't know if there are any bad rooms. We had the top floor i...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Grotto Bay Resort in July 2013. The resort is beautiful with carefully landscaped grounds and all units facing the water. They have a lovely pool, outdoor bar and eating area, crystal clear water, an area with lots of fish, a mini shipwreck in the water and even a cave to explore on site. They also have a rental for watersports and boats right onsite as well. They offer an all inclusive and a hotel only option. We went with the hotel only option as Bermuda is a great place to explore and there is no need to be at the resort all day everyday, in fact you would be missing a lot if you didn't explore. Also while some of the food provided for the all inclusive looked wonderful I am still not sure it would be worth the all inclusive price. The staff was extremely friendly, helpful and prompt. One evening we went to eat at one of the restaurants but i was too cold inside with the AC so they set a special table up for us outside where no one else was dining. Our room was lovely, not overly large but well decorated. We had a 3rd floor room with a perfect view from our balcony. The only issue we had was a clogged shower drain but was fixed immediately when i reported it. A few drawbacks are that the overall beach/sand area is fairly small and Grotto bay is on the east end of the island and a good 20 minutes from some of the main south beaches. However we didn't find this a problem as we rented a moped for the entire week (rental place just a 2 min walk from resort) which was a great way to get around at a low cost, plus a ton of fun. On another note would highly record Visiting Coopers Island which is fairly close to Grotto Bay as it is on the Far East point of the island.

Room Tip: ask for a 3rd floor room which boast the best view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We visited Bermuda for the 4th time in June to celebrate our 35 anniversary. We decided to stay some where different than we had stayed before and chose Grotto Bay. We were glad we did and had a great experience. Our room was comfortable and had a beautiful view of Bailey's Bay and the ocean. The resort was small but offered a wonderful environment to relax and enjoy Bermuda's beauty. They have an all inclusive feature but we would recommend not paying for it. The food was good but we wanted to feel free to explore the island. Bermuda has a great bus system which is easy to use and has a stop right out in front of the resort. We had a couple of small issues occur and were pleased with the Front Desk Manager's willingness to resolve them cheerfully. The concierge staff went above and beyond to ensure we had the best experience in all that we tried to do while visiting.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
brooklyn, new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is a very nice hotel situated 1 minute from the airport. Although its close to the airport I didnt hear any planes
ok, let me start, cab will cost you $9 from the airport
the greeters (they were very nice) will take your luggages and hold them until you are checked in
in my case, i flew from nyc and the airline that i took (which i love) arrived early in the morning.
no rooms were ready for me. it was 11am I waited until 2pm and was told my room (817) was ready (do not get this room or 800s location) its up the hill and its farthest from everything) upon my arrival, i open the room door to see that my room wasnt ready.... what i didnt like was that i was traveling with my elderly mother, the associate should have been proactive and offer us a ride up the hill.. the funny thing was that they decided to offer us the ride down to hill back to the reception area.. we had to wait another hour for a room... wasted 4 hours on a room...
finally got my room--532 - this is the closest building (500s) to the reception area (main building) the room was nicely set up and clean the room had a balcony overlooking the pool and the beach bed were comfortable good bath tub and tv.. no complaints
the pool was nice... the beach was nice and small no hard waves, the beach offers a sliding tube for an extra cost of 9 usd which was ridiculous.. by the gazebo (by the smaller beach) you can see all the nice fishes which was nice.. the hotel offers two caves which was awesome, we went in and took a dip in the cooler water which was a nice experience.. breakfast was included in my package and it was delightful didnt eat lunch or dinner.. if you are not all inclusive you will have to pay a lot for food.. water was 3.50usd they dont provide complimentary water

overall, hotel was nice - close to airport far from hamilton, not much to do in the area unless you jump on the bus to hamilton
if you are looking for peace and quietness - i recommend it
if you are seeking some thrills - not the place

will i come again - i will consider it

Room Tip: 532 to be close to the lobby if you want to be by the pool the 300s or 400s
St. Helier, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed only one night at the Grotto Bay, because the Fairmont Southampton had double booked us and had to put is in there for a night at the start of our stay. It was absolutely wonderful, the location, the view, the beach, the pool - the caves and lobsters are unbelievable. The staff/service were absolutely fantastic and breakfast (the only meal I ate there) was top quality. It was so good that having to move to the Fairmont was a real disappointment and I wished we could have stayed the whole trip here.

Room Tip: As far as I can tell the rooms all seem to have a fantastic outlook and access to the property/bar/b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Sewell, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My family and I stayed there for 3 nights. The room was small and only had double beds. The bath tub was strange, it only had 1/2 of a glass door towards the front which made no sense. I had to climb in the tub to help my daughter was her hair because I could not reach her through the front. This hotel has a lot of steps. If you don't like to climb, do not stay here. The pool is also small. The food is pricey but I expected that having been to Bermuda before but 15.00 for a kids grilled cheese is a bit too much. Some of the front desk staff were not so nice. I was handed a credit voucher to be used towards purchases made at the hotel and I even asked about it twice and was told it was part of my package but when I checked out they told me it must have been given to me by mistake and I was not getting a credit. How can you tell someone it was part of your package then say no it was a mistake? The only thing I liked about this hotel was the beach area, the beautiful fish and the cave you can swim in. This hotel is far from the south side beaches I would suggest a different hotel.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed here on a girls getaway so it was booked by one of my girlfriends who had never been to the island. I on the other hand have been vacationing in Bermuda for 40+years staying at Pink Beach Club, Castle Harbour and most recently the amazing Pompano Beach Club.
The lobby itself and proximity of the resort to the airport is the one good thing, from there it goes downhill. We did do the all-inclusive plan and tipped heavily in addition to the already included gratuity thinking we would get better service throughout our stay. At this resort it did not seem to matter. The food was mediocre at best, in both dining rooms the menu looks appealing and the food should taste much better than it did. One waiter in particular, I cannot remember his name, just seemed to want to get us through our meal as quickly as possible and had no people skills. I was unbelievably disappointed with the wine selection on the all-inclusive plan. I wish we had the option to pay more to at least enjoy glasses of wine which were drinkable. I am a wine enthusiast and a foodie so this is what makes or breaks a hotel for me. Our rooms were acceptable, beds were comfortable and housekeeping staff was good. Only one night were we left with no towels when they serviced our room. Stairs are all over the resort and can be tough if you are older but that is the case at many properties in Bermuda. The beach, out of anyone's control due to it being man made, was not great. No pink sand to be seen and no one to help move chairs or put umbrella's up. We had to use a shovel and dig our own hole for the umbrella. Also, since it is mostly all-inclusive no beverage service at the beach. We had to go to pool bar ourselves and get drinks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!