“Full board is great value in the 'low season'” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   11 Blue Hole Hill | Bailey's Bay, CR04, Bermuda   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Suffolk
“Full board is great value in the 'low season'”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just returned from two weeks stay in Bermuda, our first holiday with age related tour organiser Saga, who had arranged an 'all in' package. This normally means dining from a buffet, but not at the Grotto Bay Beach Resort, which offered both buffet and full a la carte dining, with excellent food. I strongly recommend an 'all in' package, as eating and drinking in Bermuda is expensive.
We knew it was the 'low season' (January/February) but there was still planty to see and do, including travelling the length and breadth of the island using the excellent bus service, with very helpful drivers. (You cannot hire a car and taxis are not cheap)
The hotel room was spacious and comfortable, with the end wall of glass that looked straight out onto the sea. The hotel staff really tried hard to make our stay memorable and enjoyable, and they succeeded
Although most local people do not swim in the sea until May, my wife and I swam from the attractive sandy beach at the Hotel on several days, able to warm up in the hotel's heated adjacent swimming pool or the beachside hot tub. I suspect this area could be rather crowded in the high season (May), but some days we had it to ourselves!
It was a great experience to be so warmly and politely welcomed by Bermuda's people, and to enjoy several 'free' events laid on by the government of Bermuda for tourists at this time of the year.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel was an enjoyable stay - very close to airport and on the more quiet side, away from the hustle and bustle. Not too far from St Georges. Bus stop for both Hamilton and St Georges right outside of hotel. *Right next to the Swizzle Inn

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rome, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed here a while back the rooms were nice. Decent size and accommodations. Although there was a problem in the room with ants! They were everywhere and not just like one ant here and there. It was like a whole bunch of them together in little patches in the bathroom. Housekeeping had to come and clean it twice for them to get rid of them. They were all up and down the walls. It was not the hotels fault that there was ants in the room, I mean it is a tropical island, there are bugs everywhere, but housekeeping should have taken care of it the first time. Also the restaurants food was not really that good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
JP M, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Apologies for the ants in your room. Although Bermuda does not have many pests, no mosquitoes for example, ants are a major pest in Bermuda especially during extended periods of drought or rain. Despite having Bermuda's best pest control company in our employ it is unfortunately almost impossible to eliminate ants. The smallest amount of food or sugary soda left will attract ants from far away. Believe guests who stayed in your room prior to your arrival may have left something out attracting ants. Please be advised that ant problem you experienced has been eliminated since and that we have stepped up efforts in an effort to prevent further inconveniences.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I was there in January for the Bermuda Triangle Challenge race, so the weather wasn't great, but Grotto Bay was! The staff was incredibly friendly. The resort had a lovely pool and beach area. The hot tub was a great spot. The caves on premises was absolutely amazing, and I'm jealous we weren't there in better weather so we could swim in the Grotto!

Rooms were standard (had fridge and plenty of space), balcony looked over the water. The rooms had joining room option, which didn't feel super secure (we were okay because we were traveling with the folks next to us). The only complaint was the shower didn't have much water pressure.

Bus stop in front of the hotel, which could get you to Hamilton in 20 minutes or St. Georges in 5 minutes.

Would certainly recommend!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Bourget, On
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We went to Bermuda last week and the weather was'nt on our side but this hotel saved our vacation. We had bought the all inclusive plan and it made everthing soooo easy. It was money well spent and they truly honor the 'all-inclusive' feature, down to the free bus/ferry pass.
The staff is exeptionnaly friendly and courtieous. The ameneties are great. We enjoyed the hot tub and the heated pool a few times. The meals were incredible, such high quality and variety.
Loved everthing about this hotel, will certainly go back later in the season for warmer temperatures.

Room Tip: In the 500, top of the hill, nice view. Stay away from the 200 if you can. Higher floor, for the pa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We decided to stay at Grotto Bay as we had a pleasant experience there once before. We were even more pleased this time. The lobby was nicely decorated with plenty of seating and a nice fireplace. Our room was updated and very clean with a comfortable bed. We went to the local gas station and picked up milk and cereal for breakfast as the breakfast buffet was rather pricey at $20.00pp. The lunch buffet for $14.95 was an excellent value. We ate our evening meals at the Swizzle Inn which is a short walk from the hotel and has a decent choice in menu items. We did use the bus to get in to Hamilton and after the marathon used a cab to get back which was about $35.00. The grounds and beach were well maintained. The staff were very friendly and all excellent from the housekeeping service to the people at the front desk.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed 4 nights at the GBBR early this month. Once again, grateful for all the TA reviews (read them all!) as it really helped in making a choice. I visited Bermuda in '08 on a cruise so never got the chance (or time) to come this far east. The resort is very close to the airport (about 5-7 minutes drive). I can also confirm - I could see the airport from my balcony - you don't hear the planes take off.

Check-in/check-out: very quick and efficient. I was on a Jetblue Getaways vacation and everything was included in the price - taxes & service fees. At the front desk, they'll change any Bermuda dollars you don't want to bring home with you.

Room: (Sandy's lodge). I booked an ocean view deluxe, and had requested a top floor. And what a view! I had unobstructed views of the small beach, swimming pool area, the causeway, airport. Nothing like sitting on the balcony, or lying on the bed, enjoying views of boats on the blue, blue water. You could the remains of the sunken wreck from the balcony. Big room, clean, with king size bed, small fridge, room safe, TV, coffee maker with packets of ground coffee, sugar, etc. There are ample drawers to store away your things as well as a hallway closet (not huge) to hang clothes. The bathroom was a good size, clean, with shower and tub. The tub did have what appeared to be faint tracks of a long-removed tub mat, though. Toiletries (shampoo, soap, lotion) were provided. I found no toothpaste, but I usually travel with all my toiletries so I was set. There's a shop in the main building that carries all sorts of stuff, if you ever need supplies. There's also a shop across the street where you can pick up items.

I did have a housekeeping problem which was later resolved. The bedspread had what I thought was a funny smell (body odor/sweat), but the real downer were the stains on the other side of the bedspread. A notice in the room indicates the resort does its best to conserve water, so the sheets are changed every 3 days or so; unless you request otherwise. So what went through my mind was: does this mean the linens are not changed between guests if it's not after 3 days? I'd like to think that's not the case. Anyway, I left a note on the bedspread requesting a change, the reason for it, with the stains in plain view. The note was gone and the bed nicely laid when I returned that evening. It was only when I was getting into bed that I realized that nothing had been changed after all. I was really disappointed, as the stains were so obvious on the white background. I immediately called the front desk about this. I probably should have done this instead of leaving a note. Someone soon brought me a freshly laundered bedspread in exchange. She was dismayed when she saw the stains.

Afternoon tea was served the day I arrived. It was a very nice touch. I'm not sure if this is a daily occurrence, as I was never around again at that time of day. The bar by the pool was closed due to the low season. But I saw quite a few guests making good use of the pool. I dipped my toes in the ocean, and that's about all you'd want to do. It was freezing, although the weather was pleasant - low 70s.
I didn't opt for a meal plan as I wasn't sure how my days were going to go. I had dinner the first night - pasta with chicken, mushroom sauce and arugula, some wine and dessert. It was not gourmet, but all right and satisfying. There didn't seem to be a lot of people around when I arrived, but dinner was quite a packed room in the Palm Court Dining Room. I found the breakfast next morning to be ok too. I would highly recommend the ultimate nachos at the bar. Huge portion and very delicious! The rest of the time, I ate out. You can get sandwiches, snacks and soda, etc., at the gas station (Rubis?) close to the hotel. I also had dinner at Swizzle Inn, which is worth at least one visit. And it's so close - from my room to Swizzle was about a 5-minute walk.
I didn't have as much time to explore the grounds - which are lovely. The grotto was open and I planned to go in, but it looked dark and intimidating from the entryway; and I had forgotten to bring a flashlight. The hotel cannot be held liable for injuries... etc. :)
There are things to do around during the day, if you don't want to go into Hamilton or St. George. The Crystal Caves is close by and definitely worth a visit. It's not far from the Swizzle Inn. There are nature walks, etc. Please see Guest Services for recommendations. Special thanks to Esme who gave me superb suggestions on things to do/see during my short visit. She provided lots of helpful tips... like the best side of the bus to sit for beautiful ocean views on the way to/from Hamilton. As a result, I was able to do a lot and at a relaxed pace. There are about 3 or 4 bus lines that stop at Grotto Bay, so getting to Hamilton/St. George is easy. It's about 30 to 45 minutes drive to Hamilton, depending on the route, and traffic conditions. St. George is much closer. I didn't mind the commute, as I got to drive through other parishes and see more of Bermuda. Best to avoid rush hour though, if you can help it. If you're out late at night, the last bus to GBBR leaves Hamilton at about 11:45 p.m. or so. After that, you'd have to take a taxi. If you'll be doing a lot of commuting, I recommend getting the pass that's best for your schedule. You can them at the front desk. The pass is good for the ferry, too.

Except for the housekeeping mishap, everyone I met was polite, friendly and professional.
I would stay here again, now that I know what works for me and can plan better. I found I do like coming back here after a long day. Many thanks also to Janay (sp?) at the front desk, Eugene who helped me with my bags, and Alfred who waited on me at dinner.

Room Tip: Tips: Deluxe Ocean view room on top floor (3rd) in Sandy's Lodge has great views and is quiet. B...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!