“Great spot in Bermuda!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Chicago, Illinois
“Great spot in Bermuda!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I was there in January for the Bermuda Triangle Challenge race, so the weather wasn't great, but Grotto Bay was! The staff was incredibly friendly. The resort had a lovely pool and beach area. The hot tub was a great spot. The caves on premises was absolutely amazing, and I'm jealous we weren't there in better weather so we could swim in the Grotto!

Rooms were standard (had fridge and plenty of space), balcony looked over the water. The rooms had joining room option, which didn't feel super secure (we were okay because we were traveling with the folks next to us). The only complaint was the shower didn't have much water pressure.

Bus stop in front of the hotel, which could get you to Hamilton in 20 minutes or St. Georges in 5 minutes.

Would certainly recommend!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Bourget, On
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We went to Bermuda last week and the weather was'nt on our side but this hotel saved our vacation. We had bought the all inclusive plan and it made everthing soooo easy. It was money well spent and they truly honor the 'all-inclusive' feature, down to the free bus/ferry pass.
The staff is exeptionnaly friendly and courtieous. The ameneties are great. We enjoyed the hot tub and the heated pool a few times. The meals were incredible, such high quality and variety.
Loved everthing about this hotel, will certainly go back later in the season for warmer temperatures.

Room Tip: In the 500, top of the hill, nice view. Stay away from the 200 if you can. Higher floor, for the pa...
Philadelphia PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We decided to stay at Grotto Bay as we had a pleasant experience there once before. We were even more pleased this time. The lobby was nicely decorated with plenty of seating and a nice fireplace. Our room was updated and very clean with a comfortable bed. We went to the local gas station and picked up milk and cereal for breakfast as the breakfast buffet was rather pricey at $20.00pp. The lunch buffet for $14.95 was an excellent value. We ate our evening meals at the Swizzle Inn which is a short walk from the hotel and has a decent choice in menu items. We did use the bus to get in to Hamilton and after the marathon used a cab to get back which was about $35.00. The grounds and beach were well maintained. The staff were very friendly and all excellent from the housekeeping service to the people at the front desk.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed 4 nights at the GBBR early this month. Once again, grateful for all the TA reviews (read them all!) as it really helped in making a choice. I visited Bermuda in '08 on a cruise so never got the chance (or time) to come this far east. The resort is very close to the airport (about 5-7 minutes drive). I can also confirm - I could see the airport from my balcony - you don't hear the planes take off.

Check-in/check-out: very quick and efficient. I was on a Jetblue Getaways vacation and everything was included in the price - taxes & service fees. At the front desk, they'll change any Bermuda dollars you don't want to bring home with you.

Room: (Sandy's lodge). I booked an ocean view deluxe, and had requested a top floor. And what a view! I had unobstructed views of the small beach, swimming pool area, the causeway, airport. Nothing like sitting on the balcony, or lying on the bed, enjoying views of boats on the blue, blue water. You could the remains of the sunken wreck from the balcony. Big room, clean, with king size bed, small fridge, room safe, TV, coffee maker with packets of ground coffee, sugar, etc. There are ample drawers to store away your things as well as a hallway closet (not huge) to hang clothes. The bathroom was a good size, clean, with shower and tub. The tub did have what appeared to be faint tracks of a long-removed tub mat, though. Toiletries (shampoo, soap, lotion) were provided. I found no toothpaste, but I usually travel with all my toiletries so I was set. There's a shop in the main building that carries all sorts of stuff, if you ever need supplies. There's also a shop across the street where you can pick up items.

I did have a housekeeping problem which was later resolved. The bedspread had what I thought was a funny smell (body odor/sweat), but the real downer were the stains on the other side of the bedspread. A notice in the room indicates the resort does its best to conserve water, so the sheets are changed every 3 days or so; unless you request otherwise. So what went through my mind was: does this mean the linens are not changed between guests if it's not after 3 days? I'd like to think that's not the case. Anyway, I left a note on the bedspread requesting a change, the reason for it, with the stains in plain view. The note was gone and the bed nicely laid when I returned that evening. It was only when I was getting into bed that I realized that nothing had been changed after all. I was really disappointed, as the stains were so obvious on the white background. I immediately called the front desk about this. I probably should have done this instead of leaving a note. Someone soon brought me a freshly laundered bedspread in exchange. She was dismayed when she saw the stains.

Afternoon tea was served the day I arrived. It was a very nice touch. I'm not sure if this is a daily occurrence, as I was never around again at that time of day. The bar by the pool was closed due to the low season. But I saw quite a few guests making good use of the pool. I dipped my toes in the ocean, and that's about all you'd want to do. It was freezing, although the weather was pleasant - low 70s.
I didn't opt for a meal plan as I wasn't sure how my days were going to go. I had dinner the first night - pasta with chicken, mushroom sauce and arugula, some wine and dessert. It was not gourmet, but all right and satisfying. There didn't seem to be a lot of people around when I arrived, but dinner was quite a packed room in the Palm Court Dining Room. I found the breakfast next morning to be ok too. I would highly recommend the ultimate nachos at the bar. Huge portion and very delicious! The rest of the time, I ate out. You can get sandwiches, snacks and soda, etc., at the gas station (Rubis?) close to the hotel. I also had dinner at Swizzle Inn, which is worth at least one visit. And it's so close - from my room to Swizzle was about a 5-minute walk.
I didn't have as much time to explore the grounds - which are lovely. The grotto was open and I planned to go in, but it looked dark and intimidating from the entryway; and I had forgotten to bring a flashlight. The hotel cannot be held liable for injuries... etc. :)
There are things to do around during the day, if you don't want to go into Hamilton or St. George. The Crystal Caves is close by and definitely worth a visit. It's not far from the Swizzle Inn. There are nature walks, etc. Please see Guest Services for recommendations. Special thanks to Esme who gave me superb suggestions on things to do/see during my short visit. She provided lots of helpful tips... like the best side of the bus to sit for beautiful ocean views on the way to/from Hamilton. As a result, I was able to do a lot and at a relaxed pace. There are about 3 or 4 bus lines that stop at Grotto Bay, so getting to Hamilton/St. George is easy. It's about 30 to 45 minutes drive to Hamilton, depending on the route, and traffic conditions. St. George is much closer. I didn't mind the commute, as I got to drive through other parishes and see more of Bermuda. Best to avoid rush hour though, if you can help it. If you're out late at night, the last bus to GBBR leaves Hamilton at about 11:45 p.m. or so. After that, you'd have to take a taxi. If you'll be doing a lot of commuting, I recommend getting the pass that's best for your schedule. You can them at the front desk. The pass is good for the ferry, too.

Except for the housekeeping mishap, everyone I met was polite, friendly and professional.
I would stay here again, now that I know what works for me and can plan better. I found I do like coming back here after a long day. Many thanks also to Janay (sp?) at the front desk, Eugene who helped me with my bags, and Alfred who waited on me at dinner.

Room Tip: Tips: Deluxe Ocean view room on top floor (3rd) in Sandy's Lodge has great views and is quiet. B...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
U.S.A.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed at the Grotto during Christmas week because we got a nice short notice off-season deal through an internet travel service. I'll have to say that the location was nice, right across the causeway from the airport and with a beautiful view of the bay and ocean, and the small private beach was a nice touch; however, the view was about the only thing that I would classify as 'resort' class. The rooms were fairly clean but lacked any extras or amenities past the bare-bones, less than what you would expect from a business grade chain motel in the U.S. The bathroom was my biggest complaint, a tub faucet that leaked and a glass sheet that enclosed half the tub area instead of a shower curtain which made baths quite uncomfortable - very strange! Bed was comfortable, the 19" t.v. looked and sounded like a circa 1995 model. Walls were thin enough that we got to hear some obnoxious kids running rampant all night in the room above us and some fellow with a death rattle cough hacking all night in the adjoining room. The hotel staff was friendly if somewhat aloof, and they were quick to provide local information and advice on activities. I've intentionally saved food for last, and anyone that has visited Bermuda knows why. Food is EXPENSIVE there, and unless you want to get on a bus to Hamilton the choices are pretty much limited to the hotel. Meal quality was mediocre and choices were limited if you wanted to eat an inexpensive (i.e. less that $30 PP) meal. We learned to eat a good lunch when we were out and about and split dinner if we ate at the hotel. Breakfast was either buffet at $22.50 PP (as I recall) or you could order muffins, yogurt, coffeee, etc. ala carte at the bar area - which we did. All in all we had an enjoyable stay but if we go back to Bermuda I will shop hotels, not excluding a return stay at the Grotto but it's not necessarily at the top of the list either.

Room Tip: Get a bay or ocean view room, otherise you're looking at the back of a hill that leads up to the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3413jpm, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Wish to thank you for your comments. Sorry you felt our food was too expensive. We try our best to keep cost of offerings as reasonable as possible. Unfortunately our cost of food and cost of food in Bermuda in general is very high. Not sure if you had a chance to go to one of our grocery stores and look at pricing. a 1/2 Gallon of milk is $4.95. Please be assured that our food is very competitivly priced and that we offer an All Inclusive Supplement for $99.00 which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages, transportation pass, tennis and watersports. This supplement is a fantastic deal. We do hope you will give us another try and suggest you sign up for the All Inclusive Package.
Lawrence, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Just back from the GBBR and our first time to Bermuda. We were a big group of couples and upon checking in opted to decline the AI supplement, seeing as we planned to sightsee all over Bermuda. Due to the variety of food allergies and dietary restrictions in our large party, it was the best option.

FOOD: Ate at the Palm Court only twice in our stay. For dinner, the food was average, though not justifiable portion-wise for the price they charge, though that's the general theme Bermuda. Lunch was better in portion and price. The staff in the restaurant was exceptionally polite and friendly and very helpful. Took tea in the same restaurant where they provided yummy little pastries and tea for free everyday.

LOCATION: The GBBR is not close to much in walking distance other than the Swizzle Inn, however the bus stop is right outside the hotel which does make for convenient travel. Bus passes are available at front desk ($45pp for weekly passes). The closest grocery store would be Shelley Bay Marketplace (10 minutes bus travel), though the GBBR has no cooking facilities in the rooms (not even a microwave!) but there is a little rusty fridge equipped with freezer.

Onsite there is a cave open from 9AM to 5PM that you can swim in. This was a real plus of the resort and the main reason that we'd chosen this spot. Clear water and an amazing experience, not unlike the cenotes in the Mayan Riviera. Not the largest cave we've been in, but it wasn't busy at all, probably because of the season.

BEACH/POOL: Small beach but well maintained, lovely rock structures to wander around and clear, clean (cold at this time!) water. Pool was clean and heated, and the towel room was always well stocked with clean fresh towels.

Other beaches "nearby" seemed to be covered in lots and lots of seaweed (Shelley Bay and John Smith Bay especially) so it was worth the 40 min bus ride out to the pink sand southshore beaches to get a real beach experience in.

ACCOMMODATION: Rooms were an issue with us. While we don't really need frills, we do all value cleanliness. Housekeeping staff, unlike the other employees on the resort, were not very pleasant, nor did they seem to take pride in their work. Some of the rooms had unclean bathrooms, soiled linens, mold and bug issues (read: COCKROACHES!!!). Beds were old and squeaky, with dusty headboards.

While it should be noted that upon discussion with management, some action was promised and we were treated politely by the manager we spoke to, the message never did seem to relay to the maids, as the level of cleanliness did not change much other than the provision clean sheets. Wives corraled husbands to deal with the bug issue. It wasn't pretty.

The GBBR is being renovated, and the gentlemen completing that work were very friendly and obvious hardworkers. Some rooms were already renovated and up to a higher standard. Why the GBBR would put anyone in substandard rooms is a question that begs answering. We were not offered relocation, and the resort was not even half-full.

OTHER: Front desk was touch and go with service and attitude as per the general consensus of other reviews, but the bellmen were so friendly and informative, always smiling. Concierge, when present was always smiling and ready to assist. Our experience on a whole is that should we return to Bermuda, we would stay elsewhere, closer to Hamilton City, where we'd sacrifice isolation for convenience.

GBBR needs an overhaul not limited to just physical renovations, but a team of professionals brought in to train and educate staff in the ways of hospitality.

Dear Valued Guest,

Wish to thank you for your comments. We take great pride in our service delivery as well as the cleanliness of our rooms as indicated in numerous reviews. I am very sorry we did not live up to your expectations. Your comments have been shared with the Front Office Manager and her team as well as the Executive Housekeeper and her team for immediate correction. As mentioned in your comments, we are currently in the midst of major refurbishment. I am sorry we were unable to accomodate you in one of our recently refurbished rooms, not sure if due to category or bed size requirements, since I am confident you would have enjoyed your room. Wish to also inform you that we have a very reputable pest control company in our employ. Unfortunately our sub tropical location in conjunction with guests leaving sliding glass doors open may occasionally cause pests to enter the room. Please be assured that cleanliness has nothing to do with it.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two weeks. We are a couple in our late twenties / early thirties with no children. I booked the hotel as the reviews were generally good for this hotel and the room rates are very reasonable. My reservations were that it is talked about in the guidebooks as a family friendly hotel and the reviews talk about how the menus in the restaurants etc. are good for families (which isn’t what you want as a couple on a romantic get away). Also, its location is very close to the airport, which worried me about noise pollution etc., and although it has it’s own beach it isn’t in the main beach district of Elbow beach and that South Western Side of the island.

Upon arriving at the hotel I was very impressed and my early reservations were not warranted.

The hotel lobby is homely but high class featuring wonderful furniture and armchairs, a beautiful fireplace and the lobby leads on to two restaurants and a bar area. The hotel is set in picturesque grounds over looking the bay and the distance from the airport is a great benefit and I didn’t hear any planes at all while here!

The staff were really friendly, professional and helpful - we felt very at home after the two weeks we spent here. Upon arriving we were guided through the facilities, which include a small but wonderfully heated pool, Jacuzzi, fantastic spa facilities – we had a wonderful couples massage in the idyllic caves which are onsite at the hotel, good quality tennis facilities and it’s own ship wreck off it’s private beach for snorkeling etc. I was already very impressed.

We had an Ocean View Superior Room, whatever that means – I’m not sure what the difference was to the other rooms over than it was facing the bay.

The beds were huge, with good quality bedding and pillows and the rooms were clean and pleasant with fridge and contained good quality furniture, which was a little dated but well presented. The bathroom was adequate with a bath and a shower, again a little dated but functional and clean and meeting my expectations. The television had a good choice of channels but was an old style small screen, but hey – you’re not in Bermuda to watch TV all the time.

We arrived early evening and decided to eat in the hotel. As I stated the reviews mainly push it as family friendly burgers and pizzas etc, but there are two restaurants and we chose to eat in the main more formal dinning room, the Hibiscus Room and I was delighted with the quality of the service and the food and the atmosphere. It was very romantic with high quality furniture, fittings cutlery etc. Wonderfully attentive staff and quality of service, Victor who seems to be one of the head waiters was very helpful friendly and really made us feel welcome and at home after a long flight. My partner had a lobster bisque to start, which is her favorite and was one of the best she has had. I sampled the island special of fish chowder, which was one of the best I had during my stay visiting many restaurants around the island. We also had wonderfully prepared mains such as the local catch of the day and great deserts with a good wine selection. We ate here several times during our stay and it was quite outstanding.

Although it is a family friendly hotel it is great for couples.

It’s location is good for exploring the island, it’s close St Georges and not far from Hamilton. The hotel sells bus passes and stops are outside, but also have a scooter/moped rental shop on site – this is great fun and best way to see the island.

It’s private beach is small but it is easy to zip down to Elbow Beach or the likes of Horseshoe bay if you have a moped, or you can get the bus, taxies are very expensive!

There is the Swizzle Inn, which is a 2-minute walk away if you want somewhere to go for a drink or occasional lunch spot other than the hotel.

The bar in the hotel is great and the staff are wonderful. They do a good buffet lunch for $14.95 that is good value by Bermudan standards with a reasonable selection should you not leave the hotel on certain days.

This hotel is of excellent quality and I can’t fault the service or amenities and is less stuffy and formal than some of the high end hotels located elsewhere on the island we visited, which can be really old fashioned and lacking character. This hotel is great for couples and families.

Thanks Grotto Bay!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!