“Great place to stay in Bermuda” 4 of 5 stars

$150.00 F&B Credit
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Seymour, Tennessee
“Great place to stay in Bermuda”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

We loved this place except for one item, which Ill get to later. I can only guess that this resort has undergone a large renovation from reading some older reviews. Having said that, our stay at Grotto Bay was nearly perfect. First off, the entire staff was very friendly and helpful. They rooms were modern, updated, clean and had everything you need for a perfect vacation. There is a nice private beach with good snorkeling. Very nice pool with food and drink available. Good location with transportation nearby. Only thing we didn't care for was the lack of Wifi. None of the rooms had it and you have to pay for it in the lobby. Most of the resorts have free Wifi in the lobby at the very least.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
North Attleboro, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Where to begin??
Massage in the cave? Phenomenal!
The Staff? Caring, attentive, friendly, and professional.
The Resort? Nothing short of paradise.

Grotto Bay Beach Resort was the perfect gateway for a mini trip to Bermuda. It is close to St. Georges and Hamilton. Transportation was easy with the efficient bus system.

The Concierge, June Ann, gave us a blue print for an awesome stay, highlighting the "must-do's". We truly got a feel for the family-like atmosphere of this resort. Thanks!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
North Conway, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Just came back from a long weekend trip and stayed for the first time at Grotto Bay. I was very impressed with the general upkeep of the resort. The grounds are beautiful and well cared for. The resort has some age but has recently been spruced up and looks great. This was off season so there were very few people about. The poolside bar/restaurant was closed but the heated pool was open. The caves on the property are unique. There is one that you can enter anytime and swim in the underground pool. The other is reserved for massage therapy and spa treatments. It is a very special atmosphere. It is magically lit and there are winding walkways along the mineral formations. A canopy tent is set up on a platform overlooking the water. Gentle music plays as the stalactites drip water sounds randomly. It really takes you away as the trained therapist works you over. I opted for the deep tissue. Pricey? Sure. Unique and worth it? I thought so.

Our room had an ocean view. It looks like most of them do. The property is near the airport so one can watch the planes land and take off. It's not so close that the noise would be considered a nuisance, just the sound of distant jet traffic across the bay at a not too busy airport.

I will say that the walls are pretty thin. One can hear muffled conversations in the next room or the occasional toilet flushing. The property is staffed by wild hens and roosters that live in the bushes so be prepared to be awakened at sunrise by cocks trying to out crow each other. The very comfortable king size beds with memory foam mattresses make up for the Roosterpalooza by supplying a solid nights sleep. The bathrooms are on the small side. The pool area is nice, comfortable and well maintained but showing some age. The hot tub is inadequate for the size of the resort. One seven person tub for hundreds of potential guests doesn't cut it. They should scatter a few more around the resort. Perhaps one per building. They do keep it on the very hot side though. I'd say about 104 F. The beach is small, sandy, private and very swimmable. There's water sports equipment available, including fishing tackle and kayaks.

The food is well above average and the service was swift yet friendly. I really recommend the buffets. They are plentiful and varied in choices. The international buffet on Friday night had everything from sushi to Peking duck to prime rib and was as good as a la carte dining. The breakfast buffet is all you could hope for with an assortment of fruits, yogurts, pastries all the way up to omelets made to order, fresh waffles and eggs any style. There are all manner of sides to go with either buffet.

The resort is well located directly on the main bus route between St. George and Hamilton. The bus really is the most convenient way to travel in Bermuda. It is safe, frequent and simple to learn. Watching the locals come and go is an added experience. The Bermudian people are friendly and hospitable. I love watching the generally well behaved children go about their after school commute. If you have a death wish, you can choose to rent a moped just outside the resort entrance. The Swizzle Inn, a well known tourist and local mingle pub is about five hundred steps up the road. Well withing staggering home distance. I would stay at the Grotto again.

Room Tip: One way or the other, you are facing lots of stairs. If you stay near the main lodge, you have to wa...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I want to tell of my wonderful, awesome and beautiful vacation at Grotto Bay Beach Resort. I was celebrating my 60th birthday after a somewhat tough year. This was my first experience and visit to Grotto Bay, but definitely will not be my last. Everyone was so wonderful, professional and caring. I felt very blessed and fortunate to be at this particular resort. I met wonderful staff including Ms. June, Concierge; Ms. Bagley, and her wonderful housekeeping staff; Ziara, Front Desk (who was very obliging in taking some photographs of me) and many others. The resort is beautiful, my room was beautiful and clean, with a nice view of the beach. (I especially loved the safe in the room, good protection for your valuables.) The breakfast buffet is wonderful! And a special thank you to Mr. E. Michael Jones for going above and beyond excellent customer service and arranging my birthday dinner at a special place. It was truly a wonderful night for me! One I will never forget. Bermuda is a beautiful, beautiful country and a true photographer's dream place to photograph. Just awesome! My plan is to visit again soon and my resort of choice will be Grotto Bay. My thanks to everyone for all of their care of me.

Room Tip: You will get plenty of exercise going around the resort, so if you need less exercise, ask for a roo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
BECKENHAM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

After suffering a stroke on a flight from St Lucia, my plane was diverted to Bermuda where I was hospitalised. As BA would not allow me to fly home for a few days Jasmine from the Bermuda Tourist Board came to the hospital and arranged and took me to recover at The Grotto Bay Resort until I was cleared to travel back to London. I was extremely well looked after by all the wonderful staff and Clyde Darrell the manager did everything he could do ensure my comfort and well being and gave me a lovely ocean view suite (521) At all times I was greeted by my name and asked how I was feeling by staff members, I cannot praise the staff and management at Grotto Bay highly enough, great food, spotlessly clean room, the staff were 1st class, despite my circumstances I would recommend this hotel to families, groups, couples and singles alike...and I am a travel agent that has stayed in some of the best hotels in the world...Grotto Bay is a little gem, close to the airport but no aircraft noise whatsoever. ! Thankyou for taking such great care of me x

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Good location, perfectly placed for visiting all areas of the island by bus, taxi, moped, mountain bike. Close to the airport but never a nuisance. The friendliest staff we've ever encountered which spilled over to the guests and made for a relaxing and really enjoyable stay for everyone. Beach small but good, watersports available too. Heated pool and jacuzzi and no trip would be complete without swimming in the hotel's own cave, quite magical. Food good. Rooms a little dated but clean and comfortable. The Swizzle Inn a short distance from the hotel offered a change of scene for a drink (Rum swizzle a must) and 'Pub Grub'. Two weeks passed much too quickly and we would certainly return to Grotto Bay Beach Resort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was the most wonderful experience i've had as a traveller! The staff was first class all the way, the food was extrodinary, huge servings! I lost my wallet on the resort and the staff came to find me with wallet in hand,,,, everything including all of my money was still there! First class resort, first class staff..... The people of Bermuda in general were wonderful, friendly and full of class. The bus drivers made sure that where ever you needed to be you got there the easiest way possible. I would recommend GROTTO BAY AND BERMUDA AS A WHOLE to anyone who wants a trip to remember!!!!!

Angela Tucker

Mona Tucker

November 11/18 2012

Room Tip: Any room will make you smile!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!