“Nothing grotty about Grotto Bay!” 4 of 5 stars

Grotto Bay Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   11 Blue Hole Hill | Bailey's Bay, CR04, Bermuda   |
Hotel deals
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Nothing grotty about Grotto Bay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Good location, perfectly placed for visiting all areas of the island by bus, taxi, moped, mountain bike. Close to the airport but never a nuisance. The friendliest staff we've ever encountered which spilled over to the guests and made for a relaxing and really enjoyable stay for everyone. Beach small but good, watersports available too. Heated pool and jacuzzi and no trip would be complete without swimming in the hotel's own cave, quite magical. Food good. Rooms a little dated but clean and comfortable. The Swizzle Inn a short distance from the hotel offered a change of scene for a drink (Rum swizzle a must) and 'Pub Grub'. Two weeks passed much too quickly and we would certainly return to Grotto Bay Beach Resort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

1,202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was the most wonderful experience i've had as a traveller! The staff was first class all the way, the food was extrodinary, huge servings! I lost my wallet on the resort and the staff came to find me with wallet in hand,,,, everything including all of my money was still there! First class resort, first class staff..... The people of Bermuda in general were wonderful, friendly and full of class. The bus drivers made sure that where ever you needed to be you got there the easiest way possible. I would recommend GROTTO BAY AND BERMUDA AS A WHOLE to anyone who wants a trip to remember!!!!!

Angela Tucker

Mona Tucker

November 11/18 2012

Room Tip: Any room will make you smile!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband and I just returned home from a six day mini vacation from the Grotto Bay Beach Resort where we were treated royally! It was our second visit to this little piece of heaven and it did not disappoint.....staff is fantastic, food delicious and room , while somewhat dated, was very clean and the bed very comfortable! We were on the all inclusive which is the way to go....included free bus pass and ferry pass... Worth every penny!!!! Definitely will return again next year!

Stayed November 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Came back yesterday and it was my 3rd time in Bermuda and 2nd time to Grotto Bay. This is th enicest place I have ever stayed at in my life by a quantum leap. 100 percent of the staff (without a single exception) are extremely polite and make you feel very welcome. The pool area is great and a 10 second walk to the bay; the main building must have had God as an architect and the rooms are great and all have balconies.

Other great things about Grotto Bay are it is a 2 minute taxi cab ride from the airport and the area it is in is breathtaking (The whole island is breathtaking). There are 2 gentleman that work there who are great sources of information and the most helpful. Steve the Bellman can tell you anything about the island all the places that are interesting to see or to go to. (Thanks to Steve, I tried this take out place called the Jamaica Grill a 5 minute walk from Grotto Bay that had some of the best food I ver had and is relatively inexpensive (by Bermudan standards). The other person you want to know is the bartender Richard. Richard is also a great source of island information and one of the friendliest people I have ever met.

If you stay there (or just travel to check it out) there are also some cool caves on the property to check out.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice from what I have seen: the rooms on the one side of the resort face the bay a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Trumbull, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have been to Grotto Bay three times in the last 23 years. Once as a teenager for a family vacation and twice with my wife.
Each time I have been there, the service was amazing, the room was immaculate and the food was divine. The staff is extremely friendly and willing to help in any way they can.
The private beach is clean and quiet. There is a bar just a few steps from the sand.
The resort is a peaceful place, and is only a short bus ride from anywhere on the island.
It is also close to the airport which is perfect. Less than 30 minutes after landing, we were having lunch at the resort.
If you ever go to Grotto Bay, make sure you swim in the cave on the property. It is an experience you will never forget.

Room Tip: All the rooms I have stayed in were great, but the ocean front room has the best view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Falmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 9 nights (November 7-16) on holiday after searching for somewhere with a maximum of a seven hour flight from the UK, we never thought that we could have afforded Bermuda so were surprised when we saw the many good offers around and the fact that we could use our air miles at last!

We read various TripAdvisor reviews and I have to say, please ignore any of those that have a whinge - they are surely from those sorts of people who can never be satisfied. Yes, it's near the airport, but there are very few movements and you can barely hear the aircraft. Yes, some reviews say the place is a little run down, but they are tidying those areas up with a lick of paint and it just means that this hotel has some character - and it's all the better for it. And yes, there are some steps down to the pool or a small slope up or down to your rooms so if you have movement problems then you may need to think of that.

But to the positives, of which there are so many - the rooms were lovely with the most fantastic views - personally I think the deluxe rooms with ocean views are better than the sea front ones as the former are higher up and give breathtaking views of the bay. They are lovely and clean and have all the mod cons. The food is amazing and please, please go for the all- inclusive option - it's such a good deal. There's no buffet type dinners, you can eat off proper menus in one of two great restaurants, in fact you can eat yourself silly. The drinks are pretty much all included, which also covers cocktails too! The staff are so friendly and helpful, they will always try and help and the Bermudan people are the friendliest we have ever met. They sound American with their accent but actually mean it when they say "have a nice day". If you go all-inclusive you also get a bus and ferry pass which is worth it's weight in gold if you have a few rainy days and want to explore these stunningly beautiful islands. We were unlucky with our weather, we had five days of rain out of the nine and the bus trips just made our day. Where else will you get a lovely lady driving a bus asking a youth "heh, do you want to ride my bus? Well if you do, then pull up your pants" - what a refreshing change - and we're a young-ish couple too.

So onto the bad points - and these are few. During the off season most of the guests are over fifty so we felt a little young (is that not a good thing....). The weather can be a bit hit and miss, in November, it's about 73 degrees F and you can have some fresh northerly winds, if so, get on the bus and head down to one of the many beautiful beaches on the south coast out of the wind. The sea is cold but OK at about the same temperature but the pool is kept heated, a little too hot for me... Oh, and when the weather is looking dodgy the hotel is far too quick to close the pool side bar - which means there's a bit of a walk up the hill back to the main bar to get a drink. The kayaks and wind surfers are free if you're AI but the diving is, in my opinion, ludicrously pricey - especially if you're used to diving in the Maldives or Red Sea when it's actually worth it.

As to Bermuda, what a beautiful set of islands. There's lots to do, even when it's raining - the city of Hamilton is beautiful with lots of shops and St George's is the old little town with a fort, a beautiful bay and more craft based shops. On the downside, this is a very expensive island, so I'd suggest leaving shopping for somewhere else.

If you're into rugby then come in early November for the World Rugby Classic. It's a great tournament with lots of well known x- internationals and we even had the Ozzie team staying in our hotel. The Swizzle Inn pub, just 200yds from the hotel was also the hosts for the Canadian team so we had a great night with them in their 'muppet' fancy dress.

Some tips - if you want to snorkel (it's not the best place but OK for it) from Nov to March, then take a wet suit. Make use of the bus pass and just ride from one end of the islands to the other on the more scenic routes, on numbers 1 and 7. Try a dark and stormy or swizzle cocktail, I prefer the latter. Go for rooms in the 500 or 600 series. Oh, and don't plan to use the Internet WiFi unless you have more money than sense - it's 30 dollars for a week! And bring an appetite, you can eat for England - so expect to come back with a few extra pounds.

Overall, a wonderful hotel on a stunning island inhabited by the friendliest people on earth. Whether it rains or shines you'll have an amazing time with memories for a lifetime. If we can get a great deal again so that we can afford it we will definitely come back - and to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Dallas/Ft. Worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is a difficult review to write because Grotto Bay is a little tough to categorize. Some things were excellent (location, views, restaurants, unique grounds) and other things were a little "tired" (room decor and the pool area). Overall, I really liked this place.

The food in the hotel restaurants was not inexpensive (island food rarely is), but the quality and value of the food was excellent for the price. As an example, the breakfast buffet was $22 but served omelettes made-to-order, smoked salmon (lox), lots of fresh fruit, thick bacon, etc. For dinner a co-worker had duck, an amazing salad, and several glasses of nice wine for about $50 (all delicious, perfectly cooked, and served with very nice presentation). On the other end of the spectrum, I also had buffalo wings one night for $10, and they were also very good. Service charges (gratuity) are included in the restaurant bills, so the service was not lightning-fast, but was definately acceptable.

My favorite thing about the Grotto Bay Resort was the cave and the swimming grotto. I was expecting some half-manufactured tourist gag, but found a stunning natural cave with a crystal-clear blue-lagoon for swimming. Wicked cool. The pictures don't do it justice.

There is a gas station near the hotel that rents scooters for $80/day. No half-days or by the hour. After talking to the concierge, we opted for a "taxi-tour" of the island instead. They are $40/hour and you can set the time, agenda, and pace. If you choose to rent a scooter, be very careful driving. The roads are very narrow, very curvy, and many people drive dangerously fast.

I've never been to Bermuda before, so I don't have another hotel to compare this one to. I do not consider it a luxury hotel (although I would catagorize The Hibiscus Dining room as luxury), but I did like it and I certainly enjoyed my stay. I have to recommend it if you can get a good deal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3413jpm, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. Really glad to hear you enjoyed our resort. Pleased to advise you that we are in the midst of refurbishing our rooms as we speak. New 40" flat screen TV's are being installed in all rooms, new luxurious bedding including duvets have been installed in all Ocean Front Rooms, all armoires are being removed and replaced with desks. This is in addition to all buildings being painted and all new lighting being installed on the exterior of all buildings. The pool and beach area were very busy over the past 8 months and have just been painted. The pool and beach area will further be attended to the beginning of January, right after the Holidays. We will be spending in excess of $1.5 Million on upgrades over the next few months, areas addressed by you will all be attended to.Hope to welcome you back to our resort in the near future.

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!