“My third visit to Grotto Bay” 5 of 5 stars

Grotto Bay Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   11 Blue Hole Hill | Bailey's Bay, CR04, Bermuda   |
Hotel deals
Trumbull, Connecticut, United States
“My third visit to Grotto Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have been to Grotto Bay three times in the last 23 years. Once as a teenager for a family vacation and twice with my wife.
Each time I have been there, the service was amazing, the room was immaculate and the food was divine. The staff is extremely friendly and willing to help in any way they can.
The private beach is clean and quiet. There is a bar just a few steps from the sand.
The resort is a peaceful place, and is only a short bus ride from anywhere on the island.
It is also close to the airport which is perfect. Less than 30 minutes after landing, we were having lunch at the resort.
If you ever go to Grotto Bay, make sure you swim in the cave on the property. It is an experience you will never forget.

Room Tip: All the rooms I have stayed in were great, but the ocean front room has the best view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

1,198 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Falmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 9 nights (November 7-16) on holiday after searching for somewhere with a maximum of a seven hour flight from the UK, we never thought that we could have afforded Bermuda so were surprised when we saw the many good offers around and the fact that we could use our air miles at last!

We read various TripAdvisor reviews and I have to say, please ignore any of those that have a whinge - they are surely from those sorts of people who can never be satisfied. Yes, it's near the airport, but there are very few movements and you can barely hear the aircraft. Yes, some reviews say the place is a little run down, but they are tidying those areas up with a lick of paint and it just means that this hotel has some character - and it's all the better for it. And yes, there are some steps down to the pool or a small slope up or down to your rooms so if you have movement problems then you may need to think of that.

But to the positives, of which there are so many - the rooms were lovely with the most fantastic views - personally I think the deluxe rooms with ocean views are better than the sea front ones as the former are higher up and give breathtaking views of the bay. They are lovely and clean and have all the mod cons. The food is amazing and please, please go for the all- inclusive option - it's such a good deal. There's no buffet type dinners, you can eat off proper menus in one of two great restaurants, in fact you can eat yourself silly. The drinks are pretty much all included, which also covers cocktails too! The staff are so friendly and helpful, they will always try and help and the Bermudan people are the friendliest we have ever met. They sound American with their accent but actually mean it when they say "have a nice day". If you go all-inclusive you also get a bus and ferry pass which is worth it's weight in gold if you have a few rainy days and want to explore these stunningly beautiful islands. We were unlucky with our weather, we had five days of rain out of the nine and the bus trips just made our day. Where else will you get a lovely lady driving a bus asking a youth "heh, do you want to ride my bus? Well if you do, then pull up your pants" - what a refreshing change - and we're a young-ish couple too.

So onto the bad points - and these are few. During the off season most of the guests are over fifty so we felt a little young (is that not a good thing....). The weather can be a bit hit and miss, in November, it's about 73 degrees F and you can have some fresh northerly winds, if so, get on the bus and head down to one of the many beautiful beaches on the south coast out of the wind. The sea is cold but OK at about the same temperature but the pool is kept heated, a little too hot for me... Oh, and when the weather is looking dodgy the hotel is far too quick to close the pool side bar - which means there's a bit of a walk up the hill back to the main bar to get a drink. The kayaks and wind surfers are free if you're AI but the diving is, in my opinion, ludicrously pricey - especially if you're used to diving in the Maldives or Red Sea when it's actually worth it.

As to Bermuda, what a beautiful set of islands. There's lots to do, even when it's raining - the city of Hamilton is beautiful with lots of shops and St George's is the old little town with a fort, a beautiful bay and more craft based shops. On the downside, this is a very expensive island, so I'd suggest leaving shopping for somewhere else.

If you're into rugby then come in early November for the World Rugby Classic. It's a great tournament with lots of well known x- internationals and we even had the Ozzie team staying in our hotel. The Swizzle Inn pub, just 200yds from the hotel was also the hosts for the Canadian team so we had a great night with them in their 'muppet' fancy dress.

Some tips - if you want to snorkel (it's not the best place but OK for it) from Nov to March, then take a wet suit. Make use of the bus pass and just ride from one end of the islands to the other on the more scenic routes, on numbers 1 and 7. Try a dark and stormy or swizzle cocktail, I prefer the latter. Go for rooms in the 500 or 600 series. Oh, and don't plan to use the Internet WiFi unless you have more money than sense - it's 30 dollars for a week! And bring an appetite, you can eat for England - so expect to come back with a few extra pounds.

Overall, a wonderful hotel on a stunning island inhabited by the friendliest people on earth. Whether it rains or shines you'll have an amazing time with memories for a lifetime. If we can get a great deal again so that we can afford it we will definitely come back - and to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Dallas/Ft. Worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is a difficult review to write because Grotto Bay is a little tough to categorize. Some things were excellent (location, views, restaurants, unique grounds) and other things were a little "tired" (room decor and the pool area). Overall, I really liked this place.

The food in the hotel restaurants was not inexpensive (island food rarely is), but the quality and value of the food was excellent for the price. As an example, the breakfast buffet was $22 but served omelettes made-to-order, smoked salmon (lox), lots of fresh fruit, thick bacon, etc. For dinner a co-worker had duck, an amazing salad, and several glasses of nice wine for about $50 (all delicious, perfectly cooked, and served with very nice presentation). On the other end of the spectrum, I also had buffalo wings one night for $10, and they were also very good. Service charges (gratuity) are included in the restaurant bills, so the service was not lightning-fast, but was definately acceptable.

My favorite thing about the Grotto Bay Resort was the cave and the swimming grotto. I was expecting some half-manufactured tourist gag, but found a stunning natural cave with a crystal-clear blue-lagoon for swimming. Wicked cool. The pictures don't do it justice.

There is a gas station near the hotel that rents scooters for $80/day. No half-days or by the hour. After talking to the concierge, we opted for a "taxi-tour" of the island instead. They are $40/hour and you can set the time, agenda, and pace. If you choose to rent a scooter, be very careful driving. The roads are very narrow, very curvy, and many people drive dangerously fast.

I've never been to Bermuda before, so I don't have another hotel to compare this one to. I do not consider it a luxury hotel (although I would catagorize The Hibiscus Dining room as luxury), but I did like it and I certainly enjoyed my stay. I have to recommend it if you can get a good deal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3413jpm, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. Really glad to hear you enjoyed our resort. Pleased to advise you that we are in the midst of refurbishing our rooms as we speak. New 40" flat screen TV's are being installed in all rooms, new luxurious bedding including duvets have been installed in all Ocean Front Rooms, all armoires are being removed and replaced with desks. This is in addition to all buildings being painted and all new lighting being installed on the exterior of all buildings. The pool and beach area were very busy over the past 8 months and have just been painted. The pool and beach area will further be attended to the beginning of January, right after the Holidays. We will be spending in excess of $1.5 Million on upgrades over the next few months, areas addressed by you will all be attended to.Hope to welcome you back to our resort in the near future.
Sewell, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Grotto Bay was an excellent choice for my sisters and I to take my mother to celebrate her 70th birthday! Everyone from the front desk to the concierge to the wait staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable for the entire trip. Our rooms were clean, comfortable and with a view to die for (Somerset Lodge). We booked our stay for 4 nights and chose the all inclusive meal plan (highly recommended) and do not have a single complaint about the food or service. The breakfast buffet had plenty of wonderful choices but the yogurt and belgium waffles were at the top of my list...a variety of salads, sandwiches, burgers, etc. were lunch options (the Greek Salad, Chopped Salad, and Pulled pork Sandwich were a hit with us). Dinner was a gourmet experience (the Habiscus Room is a must) where we enjoyed 4 courses with plenty of time to linger over and not feel rushed (the Salmon and Mahi Mahi were 2 favorites). The hotel staff were all friendly and professional with just the right feel to make us feel at home and hoping for a return visit. A special thank-you to to Janay at the front desk, the ladies at the concierge desk, Ben who served us breakfast, lunch, and dinner with a smile and wonderful sense of humor, Victor, and of course E. Michael (our evenings by the fireplace outside were wonderful endings to our days). Thank-you to all of the Grotto Bay staff that welcomed us back when United cancelled our flight home and sent our whole flight ot Grotto Bay for the night until repairs could be made.. We hope to return again and may even bring the boys along!

Room Tip: Somerset Lodge. The view from rooms 720 and 721 were incredible!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We travelled one day ahead of a group spending a week on an organized golfing week to try and customize ourselves to the time difference. We had paid to go all inclusive but arriving late in the evening and having the following problems, we missed supper which will make sense later on in this rant. Unfortunately we were shown to a room where the bathroom was awash with ants. On calling reception to ask to change rooms I was told in no uncertain terms that this would not be possible and a housemaid would be up with a spray to deal with the problem. In the mean time my wife was trying to plug in the bed side light and moved the side table and out ran a cockroach!! I rang reception again and was told that it was impossible to move rooms as the hotel was full. This was a blatant lie as when the house maid arrived she agreed that we must move and organized it for us. Thank you. The next room No.111 was a vast improvement on No. 630, close to the pool and on the ground floor. The view wasn't as good but the room was in a slightly better decorative order but still a bit shabby. I had to get up during the night and in going to the bathroom.......yes you got it - came toe to nose with another cockroach! I didn't dare tell my wife until we left the hotel and kept my fingers crossed that she didn't see it during our stay. The hotel without prompting offered me a $50 credit to my room for the initial disruption which I gladly accepted but which I then gave straight back to them by taking a week's internet connection which spookily enough cost $50. (Wi Fi is normally free in the hotels we stay in?) On checkout (11am), I went to hand in my room keys and was told by the receptionist that I owed the hotel $110 and that she would take it off my credit card. I asked what it was for and explained that we were all inclusive and about the room credit etc and was then told it was a mistake and it was only 60 dollars I owed. Once again I quizzed what it was for and once again I was told it was for Wi Fi. I went through it all again and was told yes you are correct it should have only been $10? At this point I gave in and gave her $10 just to get away. She came after me and gave me the money back saying she didn't really mean it and was sorry. As we were not leaving until 5pm, I said presumably our all inclusive runs for the rest of the day and was told no. At this point my wife got involved, pointing out that we arrived late, had no supper and had problems with the room etc. The receptionist consulted her supervisor who agreed that we were in fact entitled to all inclusive for the rest of our stay. On a positive note, 99% of the staff were courteous, helpful and polite. The food in the hotel was OK but nothing to write home about. Some waiter service in the bar would have been nice along with some more seating and perhaps some nibbles with your drink. We had a mini bar in the room with nothing in it and no room service which was also poor. Bermuda is a visual feast with stunning views, crystal clear waters and generally very friendly people. However, if my wife and I were to ever go back I am afraid it won't be to Grotto Bay Hotel which I would probably rate as no more than 3 star.

Room Tip: Most if not all rooms have sea views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3413jpm, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Wish to apologize for the inconveniences you and your wife experienced during your stay with us. Please be assured that we have a very reputable pest control company in our employ. With the resort being located in the tropics on a large estate surrounded by park areas, in addition to us not being able to control what guests bring into their rooms and the fact that our climate is so pleasant that guests may leave sliding glass doors open pest may enter a room on rare occasions despite our best efforts. Again, please be assured that we do everything in our power to control pests and that this occurence is therefore extremely unusual.
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We went for a wedding in October and this was our first time to Bermuda.
I was a bit skeptical to stay at the Grotto Bay as I felt it was a bit too close to the airport. Reality was, I hardly knew the airport was there! When we first arrived to our room,were not happy with it (factors that I wont get into). They upgraded us without any hesitation to a much better room.
From this moment, it seemed like the staff did everything they could to make our stay wonderful.
They gave us free wi/fi!
When we were waiting for a cab and the cab driver didnt show up for over 10 minutes, the hotel concierge decided to take us in one of the hotel cars!
Upon arriving back home in Connecticut, I realized that I left a notebook in the room. I called them and they said they would send it out. Since Bermuda is an island and a different country, the rate was almost $100. I said, its not worth any where near that amount. One of the nicest things happened,which was Above & Beyond the Call of Duty! One of the staff had flown to the states and fed-ex it to me at a fraction of the cost.
I want to say Thank You Grotto Bay for such wonderful service. I would stay again and again.

Room Tip: If you dont mind stairs,because there isnt an elevator ask for a room on the top floor (3rd)by the w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Just returned from a girls weekend. This is my fifth visit to this resort, but the first without my husband and the first with just the girls. As mothers it is difficult to leave the family behind and get away with friends to relax and recharge ourselves.We had so much fun, a lot of laughs and much needed rest. We did the all inclusive which was well with the money, It even included floats and water sports.We had great weather high 70's. The rooms were clean and the bedding clean and very comfortable.The staff and food were excellent,it gives you a warm intimate feeling.Not a flashy, busy resort.We are already going to plan ahead for next fall.

Room Tip: ocean front, top floor,end room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!