“No more than 3*” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Hamilton Parish
London
“No more than 3*”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We travelled one day ahead of a group spending a week on an organized golfing week to try and customize ourselves to the time difference. We had paid to go all inclusive but arriving late in the evening and having the following problems, we missed supper which will make sense later on in this rant. Unfortunately we were shown to a room where the bathroom was awash with ants. On calling reception to ask to change rooms I was told in no uncertain terms that this would not be possible and a housemaid would be up with a spray to deal with the problem. In the mean time my wife was trying to plug in the bed side light and moved the side table and out ran a cockroach!! I rang reception again and was told that it was impossible to move rooms as the hotel was full. This was a blatant lie as when the house maid arrived she agreed that we must move and organized it for us. Thank you. The next room No.111 was a vast improvement on No. 630, close to the pool and on the ground floor. The view wasn't as good but the room was in a slightly better decorative order but still a bit shabby. I had to get up during the night and in going to the bathroom.......yes you got it - came toe to nose with another cockroach! I didn't dare tell my wife until we left the hotel and kept my fingers crossed that she didn't see it during our stay. The hotel without prompting offered me a $50 credit to my room for the initial disruption which I gladly accepted but which I then gave straight back to them by taking a week's internet connection which spookily enough cost $50. (Wi Fi is normally free in the hotels we stay in?) On checkout (11am), I went to hand in my room keys and was told by the receptionist that I owed the hotel $110 and that she would take it off my credit card. I asked what it was for and explained that we were all inclusive and about the room credit etc and was then told it was a mistake and it was only 60 dollars I owed. Once again I quizzed what it was for and once again I was told it was for Wi Fi. I went through it all again and was told yes you are correct it should have only been $10? At this point I gave in and gave her $10 just to get away. She came after me and gave me the money back saying she didn't really mean it and was sorry. As we were not leaving until 5pm, I said presumably our all inclusive runs for the rest of the day and was told no. At this point my wife got involved, pointing out that we arrived late, had no supper and had problems with the room etc. The receptionist consulted her supervisor who agreed that we were in fact entitled to all inclusive for the rest of our stay. On a positive note, 99% of the staff were courteous, helpful and polite. The food in the hotel was OK but nothing to write home about. Some waiter service in the bar would have been nice along with some more seating and perhaps some nibbles with your drink. We had a mini bar in the room with nothing in it and no room service which was also poor. Bermuda is a visual feast with stunning views, crystal clear waters and generally very friendly people. However, if my wife and I were to ever go back I am afraid it won't be to Grotto Bay Hotel which I would probably rate as no more than 3 star.

Room Tip: Most if not all rooms have sea views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3413jpm, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Wish to apologize for the inconveniences you and your wife experienced during your stay with us. Please be assured that we have a very reputable pest control company in our employ. With the resort being located in the tropics on a large estate surrounded by park areas, in addition to us not being able to control what guests bring into their rooms and the fact that our climate is so pleasant that guests may leave sliding glass doors open pest may enter a room on rare occasions despite our best efforts. Again, please be assured that we do everything in our power to control pests and that this occurence is therefore extremely unusual.

1,337 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We went for a wedding in October and this was our first time to Bermuda.
I was a bit skeptical to stay at the Grotto Bay as I felt it was a bit too close to the airport. Reality was, I hardly knew the airport was there! When we first arrived to our room,were not happy with it (factors that I wont get into). They upgraded us without any hesitation to a much better room.
From this moment, it seemed like the staff did everything they could to make our stay wonderful.
They gave us free wi/fi!
When we were waiting for a cab and the cab driver didnt show up for over 10 minutes, the hotel concierge decided to take us in one of the hotel cars!
Upon arriving back home in Connecticut, I realized that I left a notebook in the room. I called them and they said they would send it out. Since Bermuda is an island and a different country, the rate was almost $100. I said, its not worth any where near that amount. One of the nicest things happened,which was Above & Beyond the Call of Duty! One of the staff had flown to the states and fed-ex it to me at a fraction of the cost.
I want to say Thank You Grotto Bay for such wonderful service. I would stay again and again.

Room Tip: If you dont mind stairs,because there isnt an elevator ask for a room on the top floor (3rd)by the w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Just returned from a girls weekend. This is my fifth visit to this resort, but the first without my husband and the first with just the girls. As mothers it is difficult to leave the family behind and get away with friends to relax and recharge ourselves.We had so much fun, a lot of laughs and much needed rest. We did the all inclusive which was well with the money, It even included floats and water sports.We had great weather high 70's. The rooms were clean and the bedding clean and very comfortable.The staff and food were excellent,it gives you a warm intimate feeling.Not a flashy, busy resort.We are already going to plan ahead for next fall.

Room Tip: ocean front, top floor,end room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Grotto Bay from Oct 24th to Oct 28th. This was our first time staying on the island as we are used to traveling to Bermuda via cruise ship. We were not disappointed. Grotto Bay is just a short drive from the airport. It is a nice place, nestled on a hillside. The view from our room was awesome. The only drawback is that you cannot see a sunrise or sunset from the rooms at this resort and the beach is very small. The shower was a bit of a pain to use since there are no shower curtains, just a half glass wall.....water everywhere. The food here is very expensive......had the breakfast buffet on our first morning and didn't realize that it was $20 plus tip per person, yikes!! So we never ate at the resort again. Frequented the Swizzle Inn just up the road for most of our breakfast and lunch needs. The cave was pretty cool but the water was a bit chilly. All in all we enjoyed our stay at Grotto Bay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wellfleet, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The restaurants were very clean and the menu selections were above average. Of course try to avoid the buffets if possible.

Wellfleet, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I was here from Oct. 13th thru Oct. 21st. I was taking Mom on a trip that I thought would be an easy get away for her. Mom's 81 and we found this property to be challenging. Due to mobility problems I wish I had chosen another resort, i.e., The Fairmont Princess Hotel. I had requested a handicap room with a walk-in shower but this was not available. The staff was very accomendating in the sense that we were moved to a suite after the first 2 nights which did have a walk-in shower. The food was above average and the service was excellent. I would strongly recommend that you take advantage of the all inclusive package as the a-la-cart way is very pricey. The rooms were small and very out-dated. We did have the pleasure of meeting many very nice fellow guests during our stay.

Room Tip: Room #521 is a suite with a beautiful view of the bay.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Grotto Bay Beach Resort has a really great thing going for it - a cave on there property. That was definitely an amenity that I had never seen and really appreciated. You can swim in the cave which is both creepy and fun at the same time. The thing is, you don't have to stay at Grotto Bay to go to the cave, so you're better off staying somewhere nicer and visiting Grotto Bay to check out the cave.

Our room at Grotto Bay had a small but nicely renovated bathroom. Water gets everywhere when you're showering because there isn't a shower curtain, just a half glass wall. They don't provide conditioner, only shampoo - so make sure to pack your own if you stay there.

The hotel room itself was in need of updating. The bedspreads reminded me of the 1980s, and the TV looked like it was about a 19 in box that was a good 15 years old. Luckily we were in Bermuda and didn't have a need for the TV.

Our room did have a refrigerator, which came in handy. Unfortunately there's not a grocery store anywhere close, so we only stored water that we'd gotten across the street at what we referred to as the Costco of Bermuda.

We ate lunch at the pool restaurant once. It was overpriced and not very good. The only other food option that is within walking distance is the Swizzle Inn. Once you go once you'll probably never want to go back. It's definitely bar food.

If you walk out of the resort and go to the left and cross the street at the gas station you'll find an amazing trail. We did the hike twice and took all of the paths off the main trail and were amazed by all the caves. It's a definite must while you're in Bermuda.

All of the nice Bermuda beaches are a long cab or moped ride away. Grotto Bay is right next to the airport. I'd recommend staying on a different part of the island, where you have access to the nicer beaches.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
JP M, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. Pleased to announce that all new bed linens were installed in all Ocean Front Rooms this past week. All new flat screen 40"TV's have been purchased, awaiting arrival.

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!