“A Nice Place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Wilmington, Delaware
“A Nice Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Grotto Bay from Oct 24th to Oct 28th. This was our first time staying on the island as we are used to traveling to Bermuda via cruise ship. We were not disappointed. Grotto Bay is just a short drive from the airport. It is a nice place, nestled on a hillside. The view from our room was awesome. The only drawback is that you cannot see a sunrise or sunset from the rooms at this resort and the beach is very small. The shower was a bit of a pain to use since there are no shower curtains, just a half glass wall.....water everywhere. The food here is very expensive......had the breakfast buffet on our first morning and didn't realize that it was $20 plus tip per person, yikes!! So we never ate at the resort again. Frequented the Swizzle Inn just up the road for most of our breakfast and lunch needs. The cave was pretty cool but the water was a bit chilly. All in all we enjoyed our stay at Grotto Bay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Wellfleet, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The restaurants were very clean and the menu selections were above average. Of course try to avoid the buffets if possible.

Wellfleet, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I was here from Oct. 13th thru Oct. 21st. I was taking Mom on a trip that I thought would be an easy get away for her. Mom's 81 and we found this property to be challenging. Due to mobility problems I wish I had chosen another resort, i.e., The Fairmont Princess Hotel. I had requested a handicap room with a walk-in shower but this was not available. The staff was very accomendating in the sense that we were moved to a suite after the first 2 nights which did have a walk-in shower. The food was above average and the service was excellent. I would strongly recommend that you take advantage of the all inclusive package as the a-la-cart way is very pricey. The rooms were small and very out-dated. We did have the pleasure of meeting many very nice fellow guests during our stay.

Room Tip: Room #521 is a suite with a beautiful view of the bay.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Grotto Bay Beach Resort has a really great thing going for it - a cave on there property. That was definitely an amenity that I had never seen and really appreciated. You can swim in the cave which is both creepy and fun at the same time. The thing is, you don't have to stay at Grotto Bay to go to the cave, so you're better off staying somewhere nicer and visiting Grotto Bay to check out the cave.

Our room at Grotto Bay had a small but nicely renovated bathroom. Water gets everywhere when you're showering because there isn't a shower curtain, just a half glass wall. They don't provide conditioner, only shampoo - so make sure to pack your own if you stay there.

The hotel room itself was in need of updating. The bedspreads reminded me of the 1980s, and the TV looked like it was about a 19 in box that was a good 15 years old. Luckily we were in Bermuda and didn't have a need for the TV.

Our room did have a refrigerator, which came in handy. Unfortunately there's not a grocery store anywhere close, so we only stored water that we'd gotten across the street at what we referred to as the Costco of Bermuda.

We ate lunch at the pool restaurant once. It was overpriced and not very good. The only other food option that is within walking distance is the Swizzle Inn. Once you go once you'll probably never want to go back. It's definitely bar food.

If you walk out of the resort and go to the left and cross the street at the gas station you'll find an amazing trail. We did the hike twice and took all of the paths off the main trail and were amazed by all the caves. It's a definite must while you're in Bermuda.

All of the nice Bermuda beaches are a long cab or moped ride away. Grotto Bay is right next to the airport. I'd recommend staying on a different part of the island, where you have access to the nicer beaches.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
JP M, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. Pleased to announce that all new bed linens were installed in all Ocean Front Rooms this past week. All new flat screen 40"TV's have been purchased, awaiting arrival.
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I LOVED everything about it!!!! Smaller, quaint and charming. Wonderful staff. Awesome food, gardens, beach. I can't WAIT to go back!!!!

Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I spent four days at the Grotto Bay Beach Resort from Oct. 18-21st and can't say enough wonderful things about it!!! It was a girls trip with three close friends none of us having stayed there before. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a smaller resort with a charm unlike anywhere I've been. The rooms were clean and well appointed with a bar fridge for snacks and cold drinks and recently renovated beautiful bathrooms; the food was WONDERFUL. We opted for the all-inclusive package which is WELL WORTH the cost...and that's an understatement. The pool is lovely, pool side grill awesome and the beach while not too big, was incredible. There's a cave for swimming, fish feeding twice daily which was fun to watch....I could go on and on but think readers will get my jist. The resort is literally TWO minutes from the airport, but you hear no planes to speak of...we just enjoyed the fact that once we landed, we were minutes from sea, sun and relaxation.. For me, I think the staff at the resort is what MADE the trip!! Every single person we spoke with was lovely....warm, friendly, polite...I've never been to a place with such INCREDIBLE staff. Thanks to Emichael, Veronica, Duane, Wayne, Wendell, Arizia (I'm not sure of the spelling, but she checked us in at the front desk), Raymond...all the beautiful housekeeping staff members...I can't remember everyone's name, but there wasn't one that I dealt with that didn't make me feel like a valued guest so my sincere thank you to every staff member there, for making my first trip to Bermuda the best trip I've ever taken....I've fallen in love with your island and it's people, and don't know that I'll ever want to go anywhere else for a beach resort holiday. .. I will DEFINITELY return to this resort and am already planning my next trip there for May 2013 with my husband. October is off season, but the temperatures were perfect and the ocean probably somewhere in the mid 70's which is what I enjoy...warm but refreshing. Oct. is a quieter time at the resort which was great for a 'girls' trip but understand it's hopping in the summertime and is a great family resort. I'd encourage anyone that's considering Bermuda to check out the Grotto Bay Beach Resort. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We did not take advantage of room service or spa services. I'd choose the Smith building (yellow...
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I spent my final 5 days in Bermuda at the Grotto Bay Beach Resort. We arrived on the day hurricane Rafael passed by the islands so the beach and views were not at their best. Once the sun returned we were greeted by turquoise water and a sandy beach. The airport is close by, but you don't really hear the planes - it's not Heathrow or JFK after all. If you are looking for a large beach then this is not the place for you. At high tide it is a small strip, but it is enough to have a lounger and some personal space. Kids can't really play ball games unless in the water though.

The hotel has its own mini crystal cave complete with stalactites and a swimable cave pool, which was great.

The room was clean and functional. We had a balcony with a sea view and were regularly greeted by the chickens that freely roam the grounds. I was slightly disappointed by the tv channel choice and I always find it ridiculous how much hotels want to charge for Wifi, especially as you can always find one for free!

The hotel staff, particularly the bell boys, were very friendly and helpful.

The breakfast buffet was good with plenty of choice. I never ate in the restaurant as the Swizzle Inn was down the road.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!