“Went in off season... Great on price and service... Not so good for weather” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grotto Bay Beach Resort

$150.00 F&B Credit
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ontario
“Went in off season... Great on price and service... Not so good for weather”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I went to grotto bay in february with my boyfriend. Since we travelled in off season the all inclusive price was about 1100 which is not bad considering the summer time doubles to triples in price. The resort Is small and quaint. Since we went in low season we booked the beachfront room.. Nice spacious room, basic amenities. The pool was too cold to swim.. Apparently they advertise as heated? Well it def wasn't! We could stand wadding in the ocean for about 10 minutes as we checked out the sunken ship . The grotto water was even colder than the ocean water but we still jumped in! Hot tub was great... Spent the majority of our outdoor time here. Pool bar was closed in February so we could only eat inside. Since they were low on occupany we had great food and service... We had the dining room all to ourselves one night! Very clean resort.. During our stay they were painting , fixing things for the busy season which I think starts around march. We had a couples massage in the cave and this was the highlight of our trip! A 90 minute massage for two in a sectioned off portion of the cave with candles and a white tent was AMAZING! Since me and my boyfriend are in out late 20 s to 30s we found this resort however, quite boring. No show... No club... Only bar opened at server discretion was kinda sad. If you want entertainment go to downtown hamilton... Pickled onion was great! Lots of young people... Overall Bermuda was nice, I always wanted to go and with the low prices of off season it was a good time to go.. However if not not an avid golfer you may run out of things to do at this time. I heard the golf courses are beautiful!! Shopping in Bermuda is expensive. I gather the impression that this island is a family orientated resort in the summer also for those that love to golf and want to start their season early.

• Stayed February 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Grotto Bay is a smaller hotel compare to the other ones in Bermuda and rated 3 star but for us when we went there we didn't care much for the hotel, we just needed a place to sleep as we were there to sight see and go to the beach. I was very impressed with the hotel actually, eventhough it is rated 3 star, we got upgraded to an ocean front room and the staff are all friendly. The resort has its own caves which you can go in and swim, highly recommended although the water is cold! This resort is also very close to the airport.

Rent a scooter to get around and it is fun! Be careful though as they drive on the left side of the road.

Tipping in Bermuda is normally added to the bill (17.5 %) so be careful you don't tip on top of that but if the service is really good then you might want to give additional tip.

The island is very small, we saw the whole island in two days riding the scooter = )

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We booked this hotel for our wedding anniversary .room needs updating no reason book oceanfront all rooms water view. Lots of steps! If you want to stay closer to the pool and beach specify when you make reservations.
Hotel staff very nice and helpful.we were on the all inclusive food very good,and premium alcohol. All inclusive worth every bit including bus etc. Nice 4day trip. Pool very nice only complaint is lounge chairs uncomfortable..beach is very small. Cave is a real attraction

Room Tip: Higher floors climb about 50 stairs from pool. our room was oceanfront no view when sitting on b...
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

My huband and I stayed at the Grotto Bay over Labor Day weekend. The resort is magnificent and has a cave on the premises. The location is not super ideal if you want to venture off the resort. Besides the resort's restaurant which was pretty good (although pricey), the only other nearby eatery is the Swizzle Inn. Our hotel room had lots of ants in the bathroom. Overall, we are looking forward to going back.

• Stayed September 2011
Dedham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Stayed there over labor day weekend and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful from the moment we arrived! Great room, great view, great location. The caves on site (free) are a nice little gem, and swimming in them is wonderful.

Room Tip: Oceanview rooms are great -- request TOP FLOOR for perfect views!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

My fiance and I both have demanding jobs and little free time, and decided we needed a much needed break before our baby is born in two months. The minute we got there I knew the Grotto Bay Beach Resort would give us grief. The receptionists were very unfriendly. I overheard them tell one couple checking in that they couldn't go to their room because check-in wasn't until 3pm. Well it was 2:40 at the time! Another couple was complaining that their rooms still wasn't ready even though they had been waiting all afternoon.

We headed to the resort beach right away and stopped by the beach bar for food, but it was closed because of "impending rain." It did not rain all day. So my fiance went all the back to the main complex to get food. 20 minutes later and he still wasn't back. Not a good sign. 30 minutes, really bad. After 45 minutes I started to worry and went to look for him. He was heading down the stairs with our food. Other guests were too because there was no one to take orders at the beach for food and drinks so people were running up and downstairs to bascially serve themselves. When we started to eat the subpar, expensive food, my fiance noticed hair on his hot dog!!

A server eventually made his way down to the beach and my fiance ordered a beer. The beer didn't show up until 1 hour and 20 minutes later, despite repeated reminders to the server.

Service proceeded to be abysmal for the rest of the trip. Everything was out of order and the place smelled. The real kicker was on our final day there. We were on the beach again and I went to the bar which wasn't quite open to get a water. I asked two of the servers for one. At 7 months pregnant, you would think they would simply get me one. But they told me the bar wouldn't be open for another hour and the only place I could get one would be at the vending machines, which were all broken and 400 feet away. I just about flipped. I had to beg two cooks to get me one. On top of it all, I developed an awful soar throat and cold and I'm sure its because I ingested something that was uncleanly from this place.

I can't believe the audacity of this place. The owners and management should absolutely be ashamed of themselves. If this were a US hotel, it would be shut down for health code violations. To my surprise, I found out that the Grotto Bay Beach Resort has one of the highest capacity rates on the island, because of its low prices. Anyone thinking of staying here shouldn't. It's worth paying extra for good service. We expected a vacation, instead we got a prison.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

My fiance and I are pregnant, with the baby due in a couple months so we decided to take a "babymoon." We were excited to find this hotel offering 40% discounts on room rates, so we jumped on it. Everyone that works at this hotel has a bad attitude, especially the bartenders and waiters. All bills for drinks and food have a 17% gratuity added as a part of the bill, so they have no incentive to work. They all act like they are doing you a favor, and I found it infuriorating! All 4 ice machines, and all 4 soda vending machines were broken. The first day we were there, I ordered a $12 hot dog and the $18 club sandwich for my fiance, just to find 4 pieces of hair in them! Apparently, this resort is known for that after reading more reviews. Disgusting.
We decided to go to Elbow Beach one day to get away from our resort, and the service at Mickey's was the way it's supposed to be...so, the disgusting service seems to be isolated to Grotto Bay Beach. Every day we were there, both my fiance and I got upset about something service related. Worst bartender in the world, "Duane"....Mr. Angry that will take his sweet a** time doing everything, while guest line is 15 people deep waiting to buy their $14 cocktails and $9 bottles of Amstel Light. We don't just dislike this place, WE HATE THIS PLACE. We've never felt so passionately about a resort, but this one does it to you!!! Also, get ready to be woken up every morning at 6am by a family of 8 ROOSTERS that live on the resort!!!!! Of all things to have living on your resort!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!