“Relaxing Resort perfect for a quick getaway!” 5 of 5 stars

Free WiFi
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Certificate of Excellence 2014
MA
“Relaxing Resort perfect for a quick getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

My husband and I booked a last minute trip to our favorite Island, Bermuda. We have stayed all over the Island over the last 23 years and we enjoy Grotto Bay Resort the best! It's location just 5 minutes from airport is the perfect location.It is quiet,nice rooms,beautifull beach and pool, a small gym on the beach.We did do the all inclusive package with three meals and all your drinks which worked out great. The food and service was impecable.Everyone at the resort was so helpfull and kind, they go out of there way to make sure your stay is everything you had hoped for.We would recommend Grotto Bay to anyone looking to relax and recharge,even for three or four days!

Room Tip: Ocean Front, Top Floor, end unit the best choice!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

We booked our trip through a travel agent but they didn’t really add much value from both a cost standpoint and a knowledge perspective. We purchased the transfers from and to the airport (approx $64USD) for two people and just prior to arrival we found out we could have jumped in one of the many private cabs for a fare of about $12USD each way.
Upon arrival at the Grotto Bay Beach Resort we were greeted at the front desk and had a brief conversation with the manager (Prior to the trip I called with concerns from other reviews I read on TA) and we were informed check in was at 3pm. The lobby was gorgeous and newly renovated which led to two other dining areas that were never more than ¼ full. We decided to kill some time and we went down to “Bayside Grill” (hotel bar and outdoor dining) for some lunch, we had a great experience. We checked into our room after it was cleaned at about 2:30pm. The room was small but nice, great ocean & pool view. I did call room service to change the bedding again due to holes in the blanket and not so clean sheets (they tended to our needs immediately) even put pillow protectors on the pillows without us requesting. The T.V. in the room was a 20” T.V. from the 1990’s and when we called to complain we were advised that was Bermuda HDTV!!! Didn’t make for nice movie nights. The maid service on a daily basis was prompt replenishing towels and soap. Over all the room was ok for an island room definitely not “newly renovated” like we were told, the balcony view was great, the walls were very thin (we were able to hear the smoker cough in the next room and them getting ready at 7am) & our only other complaint is there were quite a lot of kids and not many activities (even a charge for a Zumba class). We didn’t eat in the hotel besides at Bayside. The hotel is 10 minutes from the airport, near the Swizzle Inn (a must!!! Make dinner reservations for 8:30PM then just flow into the night crowd), right outside the entrance is the bus stop to Hamilton (get the $4 per ride tokens from the front desk and if you plan on returning on the bus get round trip before you go), the scooter rental place is right by the Shell gas station to the left of the hotel (best place to get a scooter) and water sport rental with a dive shop is on site at the Grotto Bay Beach Resort. The hotel is about 30 minutes from Hamilton & 10 minutes from St. George which gives you the beach resort vibe and a reason to venture out. Some of the places we ate were: Swizzle, Flannigan’s, Pickled Onion, Bailey’s Ice Cream, Rustico (service was horrible, food was great), Somerset country squire pub & restaurant (wouldn’t send my enemy there) & Jamaican Grill (stopped on scooter to get a to-go type lunch and watched locals play cricket, great local food, recommended by a local) Some places we visited: Crystal Caves, Warwick Beach (like no other beach, it was beyond beautiful), Elbow Beach, Dock Yard, Hamilton, scenic route to Hamilton (Millionaire Row), St. George, south shore beaches. Great island to visit: Keep in mind at this time currency exchange rates are $1USD for 1 Bermuda Dollar, gas prices are per liter and at most places there have a built in gratuity of between 15% - 18% (we didn’t know this at first and locals will gladly accept another 20% without letting you know). Enjoy Bermuda… We did.

Room Tip: Great view from the Sands building.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

Grotto bay was ok overall. Good location for access to St. George and Hamilton. But we came from staying at a resort in the South Beaches, which is where you really want to be staying. The beach and pool at the hotel is nothing special. Service is OK. The cave was a nice bonus. Althought one is always closed for spa treatments. Given the proximity to airport, it is a good place to start or end your trip. Airport noise is not an issue, since there aren't very many flights. for $280 a night, it was overpriced. Everything costs extra to use. I would look elsewhere.

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

My Grotto Bay Beach Resort experience was superb. The GBBR is located close to the airport, between the Towns of Hamilton and St. Georges and has a great beach. These things were essential to a solo traveler. However, The People of Grotto Bay are the best kept secret.

As someone with more that 575 employees, your workforce has the potential to determine the success if any operation. Well, the Grotto Bay is a successful operation. The People of Grotto Bay are friendly, kind, interesting, engaging, attentive and extremely hospitable. The People of Grotto Bay includes Keeva, Jonee, Patricia, Nikki, Kionne, Tony, Rico, Ben, Duane, Abijah, Veronica, Victor, Alex, Stevon, Derek, James, Christian and countless others. These are some of the great people you will meet on your stay. There interaction with the guest translated into an atmosphere where the guests communication and experience was enhanced.

If you are considering Bermuda, I highly recommend the Grotto Bay Beach Resort, not only because of the resort, but primarily because of The People of Grotto Bay.

I will be returning and hope to see you in Bermuda.

Satisfied Guest from NYC.

Room Tip: Ask, it's that simple.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Sunnyside, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

My boyfriend and I just got back from Grotto Bay and we did not have a good experience, AT ALL. We've been to seven islands in the Caribbean within two years and this is by far the worst hotel we've stayed at. How did this hotel get great reviews? I just want to say that we're very easy going people and are easily pleased. We are not these stuck up people, but seriously this hotel was a joke. The beach at the hotel was beautiful but it's the size of my living room in our NYC apartment. The pool was so small, it could barely move without bumping into a five year old learning how to swim. The bathroom in our hotel room stunk like sewage. The feral roosters roam the property and wake you up at five am every morning (I'm not exaggerating). The "swim up bar" isn't really a swim up bar, it's more like a bar near the pool but you have to get out of the pool and walk over to the bar for the bartender to even notice you. On our last day there, my boyfriend and I stopped into the hotel's gift shop, while I was looking at some stuff, the lady who worked there had the nerve to come up to me and said that I wasn't dressed appropriately for their Island. She claimed that my skirt was too short ( I was wearing a black wife beater and a skirt). I understand that there's a law in Bermuda regarding dress codes but her choice of words could use some serious revision, regardless of if I was dressed inappropriately or not, which I wasn't. And I just came back from the beach in 80 degree weather!!! What did you want from me? I saw girls all over wearing nothing. As soon as I walked out of the gift shop, I saw two girls walking around in their bikinis in the lobby, and I'm the bad guy?
WIth all the negatives, however, there are some pros to this hotel:
- literally five minutes away from the airport
-the bus stop is right in front of the hotel (the bus was a great bargain).
- the front desk was very friendly
TIPS:
- Make sure to check out Long Bay Warwick and Horseshoe Bay.
- Make sure to eat at the Swizzle Inn (walking distance from Grotto Bay), but make sure to avoid waitress with glasses, she sucks.
- Take the bus, it's a great bargain. The cabs are seriously overpriced. $4 just to get in.

OVERALL, spend a little more money and stay at a better hotel if you don't want to be disappointed.

Leesburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

This was my first time to Bermuda, so I don't know if all the hotels on the island are like this, but...

Grotto Bay Beach Resort is a bit run down. The rooms are dated. The maid service does not do a very good job of cleaning, but is acceptable. The service was satisfactory, nothing more.

I requested two connecting King bed rooms. I got one double, one King, adjacent rooms that did not connect. The staff was willing to move me to two connecting rooms, but then both would be doubles. I opted to keep what they gave us originally.

Food at the hotel is basic American cuisine. Many people on TripAdvisor recommend going to Swizzle Inn, but I thought the hotel food was similar and was cheaper.

The hotel has a private beach, a pool and caves. Buses into Hamilton and St. Georges stop right in front of the hotel. Double any time estimates the staff give you for getting places. Taxis are 10 mins and $10 to/from the airport.

Overall, we had a great time. I'd recommend the hotel, but don't expect anything fancy. Like another review said, I'd put the guest rooms at par with Comfort Inn back in the States. Food and facilities rate better as does the service.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Orlando, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

First of all, let me acknowledge, that what Americans consider 4 or 5 star, is not always that in other countries. If you are used to a Westin or "W" hotel being a 4 star, well this place was like a holiday Inn. Bedding was terrible, horrible mattresses and pillows. Would not do the all inclusive. Breakfast buffet was fine, but at dinner the chicken was so tough I couldn't even cut with a knife and the fish was tasteless. When I checked in, they said to go outside, make a left, go down the stairs, then right, the it was such n such building. No offer of bellman to help with my bags or show me the room. We had upgraded and got to look at mangrove bushes. Room service consisted of us having to hike up to the main building to get our food and a cardboard box. The cave spa was beautiful, but the therapist had scratchy nails that keep digging into me.. for $200 I expected better... The bus service around the island is nice, you can hop on and off... but have your cedit cards handy... if you are used to 4 & 5 star American hotels, don't book here... small beach and not on open ocean.. on a bay...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!