“Nice Property....BUT” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dallas, TX
“Nice Property....BUT”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

My wife and I just returned from the property this week. This trip was our honeymoon. Our expectations were high, but slowly faded after reading some of the reviews prior to our arrival. For the most part the reviews are accurate. The property is beautiful and very well appointed. That is really the only reason you stay at this hotel. As for the service, it has a very long way to go. In general, we were let down by the service at this hotel. The front desk is lacking the right people for a hotel at this price point. When my wife and I arrived, there was one person at the front desk at 8:30 pm. She was answering the phone as front desk, security, and a few other areas of discipline. Within our first 2 minutes of arriving she (assistant manager) answered the phone - "hello security....." she paused and then said "oh expletive". This was not a nice greeting from a hotel that you will easily spend a thousand bucks a day with. There were a few very nice people upfront (Camile), but for the most part, this property is not staffing with quality people upfront and is clearly cutting corners.
We had issues with our A/C the entire time we were there. I believe it is setup to shut off after running for more than 60 minutes. I placed 4 calls and finally gave up. We had to get up twice a night and turn the a/c "timer" back up.
There are no coffe machines in the room, but they do provide coffee downstairs from 6:30 - 9:30. However, this is poorly run as well. The coffee is often out and they are slow to refill. One of the mornings we arrived at 8:30 and waited for 30 minutes after calling twice for it to be refilled. When I went to the front desk to inform them, the same front desk assistant manager told me coffee is served until 9:00. I informed her we have been waiting for 30 minutes and the sign says coffee is served until 9:30. Her response was - "I need to change the sign". Needless to say the coffee never came.
The management appears to be trying, but running a property of this size is not a new adventure. I am really surprised at the complete lack of presence by hotel mgmt.
The food was very average and the beach/pool food was rather poor, especially for the price point of around $50 bucks for lunch. The gift shop downstairs has no food, snacks or beverages. They want you to request snacks and drinks to be put in your room with very steep prices. If you decide to pay the price, you will also be charged a delivery fee and a gratuity fee of 17% per stocking. On the subject of fees, the property charges you $30 bucks a day for maid gratuity.
On the brighter side, the property is very beautiful and the beach is excellent. The beach service was actually very good. They setup your chairs, towels, etc. The property is first class, the service is sub-par, something you would expect from a hotel in the $60-70 price range. No joke.
If the service were better, I would absolutely recommend this property.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Westchester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

I just returned from spending a beautiful week in Bermuda and at Tucker's Point. First, let me start with the good things this hotel has going for it. It is a very nice looking hotel with beautiful grounds. The grounds are very well maintained. It is a relatively new hotel in Bermuda, so the furnishings are very nice. My family(husband, teenager and myself) got a room with a beautiful ocean view, actually is was more like ocean front. I would not mind waking up to that view everyday. At the end of our day, we would go to our room and always found it to be clean. I have read some reviews on which people have complained about their rooms not being cleaned. That was not our experience. We did turn on the sign that said: "make-up room" on our way out. Maybe this might be a good idea. The beach is beautiful but I found it to be a little rough, meaning big waves, the kind that will toss you around. I even hesitated to go in the water when I saw those huge waves. If you are the kind that likes calm waters, I do not think you will like this beach. Other than that, it is clean and set up for you every morning for your enjoyment. In order for you to go to the beach, you have to catch a shuttle but, during our stay there, it did not take long to appear. I think that if the hotel set up a schedule of when it will drop off people and when it will pick them up from the beach, people might know when to expect it. I traveled with a teenager but, I do not think this will be a good place for teens or family with children only because there is nothing to do for them during their stay other than to enjoy the beach during the day and watch t.v. at night. There are no game rooms for teens/children to gather/play or anything like that. My teen was a little bored at night. I feel it is best suited for couples. By the way, they are not the only ones that might crave a little more life at night and not find it There is no nightly activity for adults either. After dinner, you have no place to go other than your room and fight with the kids for the remote control. There is no piano bar; no live entertainment of any kind. I would have loved to have some kind of nightly entertainment. I know that there are places in Hamilton where you could probably have this, but this hotel is not that close to the city and taxis are very expensive in Bermuda. All of that are minor things that you can live with. The only major problem my family had while at Tucker's Point was with the FOOD. I felt like I was being cheated out of it. Let me explain: If I order an American breakfast for $25.00 that it's supposed to include two eggs, ham OR beacon, potatoes and juice, why do I have to remind you to bring the ham or the beacon? They were constantly "forgetting" things that were included in the dish that I ordered and, for which I had paid for. Be prepared to ask for the food items that you are paying for. I constanly found myself in this situation, always telling them: What happened to my _______? Isn't ______supposed to come with this dish? I know that food is very expensive in Bermuda but, if I'm paying $25.00 for a dish, give me what I'm paying for. My husband also felt the same way. If he ordered some dish that included juice, they always "forgot " to bring it to the table. If I ordered an extra side order of ham, for example, and paid extra for that, they brought it right away. If management feels that they are giving me too many food items for the price I'm paying, then please, do not include them in the description of the dish I'm ordering. If you do, I'm going to expect it be brought to the table without me constantly asking for it. If they trained their waitstaff better and take care of this problem, it would be a more pleasant experience for future guests. Other than this, it's a beautiful hotel and because it had more positive things than negatives, I would still recommend it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

Just returned from 5 glorious days at Tuckers Point, Bermuda. What a GREAT property! All of the staff were attentive and went out of their way to make our holiday seamless- The staff were polite and well trained. They are friendly and attentive. ( Kudos to Gerald at the front - wonderful personality and very pleasant.) The new Manager, Brian Young, went out of his way to greet us upon arrival, and made sure all of our needs were met. The service was superior - especially housekeeping and room service ( quick and attentive). All the waitstaff and hotel staff remembered our names, and addressed us by M/M ____ for the duration of our vacation. The property is beautifully appointed, with magnificent common areas and lush landscaping. The beach club and beach - are wonderful. More than enough lounge chairs for all guests ( with space between them) and the pink sand on the manicured beach - well is doesn't get much better!!! Lunch and drinks are served either by the pool ( at the beach) or on the beach....lots of towels, too! Many activities also, a perfectly manicured golf course, and a small, but well equipped boat dock. The water is the most beautiful shade of aqua - warm and inviting!! Services at the Spa, are varied and well done. The Spa is private and beautifully appointed - relaxing and inviting!! A win, win!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

We just returned from a 4 night stay at Tucker's Point to celebrate our wedding anniversary. This was our first trip to Bermuda and our expectations were very high. We had read the reviews prior to arriving and were a bit apprehensive. While we agree with certain reviewiers about improvements that definitely need to be made, we simply looked at the big picture and that was that we enjoyed ourselves immensely and are happy that we decided to stay there.

I consider myself a rather seasoned traveler. When I go somewhere, I want to stay at the best hotels because for me that is a huge part of the experience. My backpacking days are long gone. This hotel is absolutely stunning. It, and Bermuda reminded me of so many of our favorite vacation places (Anguilla, St. Barths, Maui, Santorini, Puerto Plata) all wrapped into one. We had a beautiful room on the top floor with a huge balcony overlooking the water. The hotel never seemed crowded and although the resort itself is expansive, I had to keep reminding myself that there were actually less than 90 rooms on the property. The golf course was awesome and my husband played two days and loved it. We rented a scooter one day and rode all over the island and saw the other resorts which paled in comparison. They all seemed stale. Elbow beach looked like it should be dug up an reconstructed. Fairmont seemed too big and not special. The beaches on this end of the island are beautiful, however. Tuckers Point just seemed to be such a class above all of them and we couldn't wait to get back to the hotel after our day around the island.

There were definitely issues with customer service and new staff but none of them were so major or horrible or unfixable. I spoke with management about them and they are trying very hard to listen to guests and get all of these issues fixed. Once they do, they can then really focus on all of the little details that make a place even more exceptional like nightly turn down service, etc. I have every confidence that they will only get better. All of our requests were met. We were treated exceptionally well. Sometimes the service was slow but it is Bermuda, you are supposed to take it a step slower than we do in the states.

We are already planning on returning with our friends and kids next year!

A special thanks to Brian, Sarah, Camila, Rudy, Brian, Teddy and many others for making our stay so memorable and fun.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Stamford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

These letters seem endless in their point of view but... Tuckers Point is a beautiful property: beautiful site, great beach and pools, terrific golf course and very well appointed, but in general, the compliments end here. Vacationing at Tuckers Point is like going out with a very beautiful but terribly dumb woman: the thrill lasts only until you begin to know her. Just horrible management that doesn't seem to care one whit about making their guests happy: rude wait staff, uninterested front desk people, poor hosekeeping, so so food and VERY expensive. A Four Seasons appearance with a Red Roof Inn mentality (my apologies to Red Roof Inn as i am sure they are better than TP). I would NEVER go back. I must mention a few bright spots there: the entire doorman staff are great:helpful and friendly, Terry and his staff at the watersports area were fabulous, there was a lovely french woman food server who gave a damn and there was a lovely man in the business office who let us use his computer. Three people out of how many? An occasional disappointment on vacation is to be expected-this was a deluge of ill humored and non-caring personnel. If this place is to survive, new management is a must!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Brian_Maitland_Young, General Manager at Rosewood Tucker's Point, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
Dear Dermaguy,

We were so sorry to learn of your disappointment in Tucker’s Point Hotel & Spa. Having joined the hotel as general manager a number of months ago, I can assure you that we are working hard as a team to insure the best experience possible for our guests. We are taking your comments very much to heart and I would welcome a personal conversation with you to discuss them in full. Please call the hotel and ask for me – I welcome a discussion at your earliest convenience.

world citizen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

We booked Tucker's Point because it is the newest hotel in Bermuda, and we gladly admit that we are not the bed and breakfast, casual stay type of family. We like a well appointed hotel that hits all the luxury notes because that is part of the joy of going away for us. We were so disappointed therefore with Tucker's Point. The hotel charges an outrageous rate, which we are not contesting. HOWEVER, they also CHARGE 15% PER DAY PER GUEST IN EACH ROOM FOR TIPS!!!!! I knew this going in, and naively thought that because of this pretty reprehensible practice, there was going to be some major housekeeping like I had never seen before! WRONG! We had to constantly request more shampoo, conditioner, etc. At a resort where there is a beach and pools, doesnt it make sense that people need to shower more than once a day? Three of our party have very long hair, so the minute amount of shampoo in the tiny hotel bottles did not suffice. One day I took a bath (the bathroom was well appointed, the tub an absolute dream, the towels wonderfully large, the shower however was dark and with miserable water pressure), and the tub was not washed out by the maid---i ended up scrubbing it out myself for my next bath all the while trying not to think about if it had been washed out before I checked in! The beds were extremely comfortable, lots of pillows, etc., and there is an overhead fan which is so nice. The A/C was a nightmare....too cold or none at all and it was fed in through a vent in the ceiling over our desk with the force of an arctic blast. We never did figure out how to set the A/C properly. The first night we went out for dinner and came back to discover that the room had not been touched (for $30 a day per room, we surely expected it to be touched as much as possible!!!) We called downstairs to find out why we had no turn down and no fresh towels and we were advised that we had to call downstairs or set the 'make up room' light by our door for service!!! At all luxury hotels, a maid will knock on the door whether or not the "service room" light is on or not! I will say that everyone at Tucker's Point was very nice and polite, from room service to the operator to the housekeepers. Not $60 a day nice and polite however! Our final night in the hotel, my daughter saw a cockroach the size of a rat run under her bed. I know this is the tropics and things like this happen. It was still disconcerting. We called downstairs and a gentleman was sent up to spray the room. Later that night, the cockroach ran across the floor and fortunately I was able to kill it (I will say, it took three attempts to finally do the thing in!!). The hotel was more than gracious about the incident and removed some monies from our bill. That same night (it was a wild night folks!!) the fire alarm in the hotel went haywire. It was pretty early (around 8 P.M.), so it did not wake us, but we were half way out of the hotel with our belongings before I decided to call downstairs. The operator apologized and explained that there was trouble with the alarm and it was being fixed. We were forced to sit on our balcony for the better part of an hour because the alarm was so piercing that we could not sit in the room! Again, these things happen, but I thought then, and still think, that everyone in the hotel should have been informed as soon as the alarm went off, or at least that an employee should have been stationed at each hallway or elevator to alert fleeing guests not to worry! In the morning we got a letter under the door telling people that the alarm went off and not to worry!!!! ha!ha! Room service: pathetic. Everything cold, especially the hot dishes. No flowers on the table (heck, ,I think even Westins put a little vase with a cheap flower on the room service tables, and here we were in paradise surrounded by the most amazing blooms and nada!!), and there were no hot boxes in the table to keep the food warm. We ordered a club sandwich without mayo and with mustard on the side. After a very long wait, it arrived with mayo and no mustard. One of us had eaten a quarter of the sandwich and thus discovered the mayo. We called downstairs to request the sandwich as we had ordered it and when it arrived THE WAITER ASKED FOR THE OTHER SANDWICH BACK!!! This was a first for me! Did they intend to serve it to someone else?! The food at the hotel was extremely good. The Caeser salad is absolutely wonderful as is the fish chowder---I ordered those two items every time we ate at the hotel. The beach is beyond question the most lovely in the world. The moment you arrive, you are practically carried to the shore where lounges, towels, umbrellas are set up for you. You never lift a finger and it is quite wonderful. Rather than mind the tram ride to the beach, we enjoyed it considerably, and never waited too long for the tram. That being said, the hotel is far away from town and unless you rent a scooter (we didnt dare...the driving situation is terrifying), you will be paying an average of $20.00 per trip to and from the hotel in a taxi. We spent about $100.00 in one day alone because we went into town and rented a boat, came back to the hotel to shower and change, etc., and then went back into town for dinner. We are not complaining about this, just letting those who do not expect it, to expect it! The hotel itself was confused. It did have some beautiful furnishings, but seemed to be a mish-mash of styles and consisted of lots of little rooms interconnected. There seemed to be no grand spaces, and as a matter of fact, when we pulled up to the front, I thought we had arrived at the back of the hotel! The closets were wonderfully large, but the room furnishings seemed disappointing somehow which I cant put my finger on. Not opulent I suppose. I guess the way I would describe this hotel is: NOT ELEGANT. I think however, they think they are. One of the pools (the one featured on the website) was as beautiful as it looks on line, but another pool (the one our room looked down upon) was set in a sterile slab of cement and looked very much like a pool area at a motel. The pools however were delightfully heated. By the way, we called ahead and asked the hotel to send a car for us when we arrived at the airport. By a car, we discovered, the hotel merely sent a taxi (for and extra amount of money because we had requested it), and it was the same taxi as all the others waiting at the airport to bring arriving guests to their various hotels! Live and learn!! The staff at the hotel are all very proud of the hotel and of the friendly and helpful service they provide. It is a shame that it somewhat misses the mark so often. My husband who uses the sauna said it is one of the best he ever used, and as I have said the pools are terrific as is the food. So how do I put my finger on it? I guess for the money and rating I expected almost a European 5 star experience and this did not even come close....that being said, perhaps my expectations are too high considering this is a tropical island and not a world class city with tons of competition. This is absolutely the nicest place to stay in Bermuda, but the price does not reflect the actual experience. (for example, for about the same price, we could have stayed at Le Meurice in Paris, and left our own tips!!! WOW!!!!) I would recommend but this hotel with a number of caveats.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Brian_Maitland_Young, General Manager at Rosewood Tucker's Point, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
Dear I’m-never-home,

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your stay at Tucker’s Point Hotel & Spa and extend my apologies. Please call the hotel and ask for me, as I would like to speak with you personally. I look forward to hearing from you.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

This hotel, with its white roofs, bright white light and deep blue ocean views reminds me of Santorini. It is a beautiful setting. Our room was spacious and clean and the beds were comfortable. BUT, like so many other reviewers we found the management lacking and we left feeling irritated rather than rested. This hotel needs to learn to say "yes" instead of "no" and get a better sense of people's comfort requirements and schedules. From painfully long waits for the trolley to no towels at the pool and beach, there were a hundred things that just weren't quite right every day and night. Individual staff members try but are not adequately trained. They just don't know. The concierge staff is mostly inept and it doesn't seem to have occurred to them that they are there to be helpful and answer questions. Tucker's Point caters to the residential visitors on the property and I imagine these visitors don't rely on hotel services as much. Consequently it appears that Tucker's hasn't bothered to build a world class experience for their business and leisure customers that matches the setting and price. We've stayed at the Southhampton Fairmont, Pink Beach Club and Elbow Beach on many visits to Bermuda and have traveled extensively throughout the world at a variety of luxury levels and all have offered service that is superior to Tucker's.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Dear Onceover,

Thank you for your compliments on our hotel and its décor but I’m sorry that there were issues with your stay. I would appreciate a personal conversation with you about those issues. Please call the hotel and ask for me. I look forward to hearing from you.

General Manager, Tucker’s Point Hotel & Spa

Been to Rosewood Tucker's Point? Share your experiences!