“Texas Destination Spa” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Escondida Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Medina
Escondida Resort
Save Saved
You added Escondida Resort to your Saves list
23670 State Highway 16 North, Medina, TX 78055   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medina
The Woodlands
“Texas Destination Spa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We wanted to celebrate my husband’s birthday with a destination spa experience that did not require a flight. We selected Escondida Resort for its location and spa availability. The hotel is lovely and set in such a quiet, beautiful part of the Texas Hill Country. Pam and Dawn did a great job with the food and provided an attentive, informal level of service that fit well with the environment. We used the spa for messages and a facial. Vicky and Rose were great. We really recommend starting your stay will a spa treatment. It allows you to unwind and enjoy the simplicity of this beautiful resort. We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
dallas, tx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We watch the Texas Country reporter all the time and were excited to "relax and enjoy the atmosphere and the the property". Unfortunatly, the place does not live up to the "Hollywood Magic" portrayed in the commercial. So much neglect was had immediatly, when we drove through the gate...as another reviewer mentioned, "we got that sinking feeling and disappointment crept in".

We booked this place especially for the Hot Tub advertised on the web site, only to immediatly be advised at checkin."there is no longer any hot tub availalbe". My wife was truely disappointed but now mounted with more disappointment we opted to make the best of it...Hey at least I would expect the website to be accurate....No wonder there is NO cancellation policy

The rooms appeared nice, but much like other reviewers, they needed "attention". Ours had a slow sink, windows dirty, sheets were stiff and uncomfortable, pillows were old and worn. This is NOT what I would expect from a Resort that would get a 5 star rating. I have stayed in a few 5 star resorts and there is a standard set that this place is far from. A few that come to mind are The St. Regis, Little Nell, Broadmore, Four Seasons, Chica Lodge...These "resorts" are 5 stars and rightly so. This is what you have to "baseline" your resort after to command 5 stars. Escondita Resort is a far cry from these Resorts.

The language from the staff was profane and curt, the same in line with what the other reviewer wrote. They dressed casulally...too casually for my taste with cutoff shorts and a tank top's. Definitly not the Bed and Breakfast attire I had seen in past experiences at other properties. The food was all on the same plate and piled high, really nothing special, nothing that is like the mouth watering chef prepared presentation as was portrayed...once again in the commerical. It was the caliber of...say the 2 star rating of what this resort commands. But unless you want to drive...It is your only choice and you cannot opt out of the "meal plan" so you eat...what ever they serve like it or not.

This place needs to have a complete makeover, with special attention to the details. Start with basic maintenance, paint, fix the drywall from the old leaks, regrout, fix the plumbing, clean the windows and tracks, get new bedding...Then carry on to the rest of the rooms and do the same. The place has potential...but in obvious disrepair and no where near the $$$ being charged.

If you are looking to pay alot of money, eat what you are given and being treated as a more of a burden than a guest and set your bar low, then this is the place. If you are looking for a baseline if a 5 star resort...do yourself a favor...look elsewhere.

Now you might say I was a little harsh in my review...but when I was asked to present a rating and "we like to get 5 stars", I have to be honset and rate it as I would the "real 5 star hotels I have had the pleasure of staying at.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This is the place to go if you really want to relax and de-stress from your everyday life in the big city. Beautiful surroundings to drink in, quiet atmosphere, good food, wildlife, great customer service, peaceful, amazing spa treatments like no where else. We spent four days there recently and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Dawn and Pam made our stay even better with their charming personalities and service above and beyond. It was totally worth it!

I will return again and again.

Lori D.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Midland, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

La Escondida did not disappoint, this little slice of heaven in the heart of the Texas Hill Country was what I love about Texas. Secluded at the end of what has to be one of the best drives in all of Texas, this Hacienda extraordinaire was nothing short of breath-taking from the very first glimpses across the serene causeway bridge that leads up the long drive along the mountain valley. The grounds are remarkable from the the sprawling front lawn to the pool and spa area connected by a classic Mexican style bridge over the creek on the property. The "Hacienda" which comes with its own special mystery and epotimizes the sense of never leaving home is emaculate and you will never want to leave. As spectacular as the building and grounds of La Escondida are the true hidden treasure are the two special women tht are it's heartbeat and life blood. Dawn and Pam welcome each and every guest as though they were long lost family members come home for the weekend. Their kindness and willing to do anything and everything to make your stay exceptional are without measure. As the song states "You don't know my Texas" if you havent experienced La Escondida.

Room Tip: Just ask and tell them what you are looking for, a balcony, fireplace or view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Escondida Resort
Review
I will describe Escondida as the best place to visit to do nothing, except to relax, or rest, meditate, reconnect with a loved one (romance is an option) and enjoy nature at its best.

The Property: Architecturally, the style is Mediterranean. There are 125 acres of South Texas Hill County raw and rugged land with lots of wildlife. A small steam runs thru the property and can be viewed from some of the rooms. A hike to the cliff house is an option if you can handle the elevation change. (Uphill all the way - you can see for miles from there) The hills rise above the buildings and make a wonderful setting to take pictures of the surrounding landscape and wildlife. (Take your camera)

The Staff: Very friendly, casual, and helpful. Dawn is the manager, cook and chief bottle washer. Pam was the jack of all trades and a master of many. You will probably not meet the people who take care of the property and maintenance, they stay in the background. Do not expect room service, it is not available. You will be left alone to do your own thing. I find this to be a good thing.

The Rooms: They are roomy. There is an area for sitting and reading or watching TV. The bed for me was good, slept like a log; although my wife felt that it was too soft for her. There are clerestory windows that you cannot cover up, so expect plenty of light in the mornings to wake up to. The bathroom area is spacious and has a large walk in shower – no tubs. Painted tiles adorn the vanity and shower. The flooring is somewhat uneven Saltillo tile. Bring a pair of house slippers to wear. The rooms have high ceilings with lots of windows and doors to outside terrace areas.

The Spa: On our first visit we opted for a massage package and were very pleased with the service provide. The spa, pool and hot tub are isolated away from the rooms and it takes a short walk to get over the stream by way of a bridge or drive like we did. The facility is not the fanciest that I have ever been to but I found it to be more than adequate.

The Meals: There are set time that the meals are served and if you’re late you miss out. No menu to select from. I classify the fare as down home cooking. Dawn is an excellent chef, and the meals are done to my personal taste. There are general two meals served, breakfast and dinner. You are on your own for lunch and a trip up the road to Kerrville or Fredericksburg will provide you with a wide selection of cafes or fast food places to choose from. This short trip offers an opportunity to do some shopping or antiquing at some unique stores.

I hope you find this helpful in deciding if this is the place for you to get away to. If you wish to continue reading about my wife’s and my experience during a special trip for the Thanksgiving Holiday, please do.

My wife and I had vacationed at the Escondida Resort in March of 2012 for our 35 wedding anniversary. We enjoyed the experience so much that we decided to return for the Thanksgiving holiday. We usually have the whole family over, about 16 people, to celebrate the holiday together. This year everyone was scattered far and wide and we opted to let someone else do all the work. We chose the Escondida Resort. I describe Escondida as the best place to do nothing, except to relax, or rest, meditate, reconnect with a loved one and enjoy nature at its best. Now if ants or other insects outside bug you, then maybe this is not the place you want to visit. There is an abundance of wildlife all around this place. It is located in the Texas Hill Country and is isolated in a valley surround by the hills. Mobile phones do not work well here; however my wife’s laptop did get connected by Wi-Fi and could check her e-mail and Facebook to see how the kids were doing.
We arrived at 3 pm on Wed. and if you expect someone in an over starched uniform to come out with hand out for a tip to carry your luggage to your room, it will not happen. You will need to carry your own luggage to your room. When you go to the office to check in, do not expect a grand foyer with a long desk and uniformed clerks who what your auto plate number and driver license I.D. Your credit card is good enough to get in. My advice is to arrive between 3 pm and 6 pm. If you arrive after 8 pm, you will find your room unlocked and you can go to it for a good night’s rest. Upon going to our room there was enough time to relax for a while before the Wine Share at 5:30 and dinner at 6:30. This was a time to meet others who were staying for the holiday and share some stories about why we chose to leave our homes and come to Escondida. Don’t expect to order from a menu. The meals are prepared and served at a table that you can share with another couple. If you are a picky eater and don’t like what is being served, then drive the 30 minutes to Kerrville or Media, the nearest towns, to get your Big Mac and fries. The meal was baked fish on a bed of rice with a green salad and broccoli and cauliflower. The desert was to die for, bread pudding with a caramel drizzle. After the meal we sat around the fireplace and enjoy some more conversation, and some more wine, with the other guest and retired to our room by 9.
The Thanksgiving morning, I got up before sun rise. I stepped out on the terrace and watched the wild life running around all over the place. White Tail deer and Big Horn sheep are abundant and I was greeted with the song birds announcing the sunrise. As the sun rose, it was a great time for a walk down by the creek (a small stream) and observed the fish lazily swimming around waiting to be fed. Returning to the room my wife and I got ready and moseyed over to the dining room for the morning meal. Because it was Thanksgiving Day the morning fare was a typical continental meal with pastries, yogurt, fresh fruit and the usual items. Since the staff was preparing the Thanksgiving meal to be served at 2 pm, they did not prepare the usual breakfast. On our previous visit, breakfast included a variety of well-prepared items including an excellent eggs Benedict. By 11:30 a few of the men where in the TV room to watch the Texans play football while the some of the ladies gathered in the fireplace pit area to discuss the men watching football. At 2 pm the feast was served and wow, what a spread. Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, corn w/ cheese and jalapenos, homemade rolls, and a selection of sumptuous deserts; Strawberry Cake, German Chocolate Cake, Pecan and Pumpkin pies, yum. The nice thing was I didn't have to do the dishes. Back to the TV room to watch the Cowboys play. Go and take a nap and back for leftovers at 6:30. After the evening meal we once again sat in the Family Room and had some more chit chat with other guest. We retire back to our room, full of turkey, ham and more deserts, for a great night’s sleep. Upon waking up on Friday morning, I once again was entertained by the wildlife from the terrace. We went to the dining area for a breakfast of homemade biscuits and country gravy with scrambled eggs and more. We finished breakfast, said our goodbyes to the friend that we had make, packed up for our trip back to the old homestead.
One of the great things about this place that I like the most is the opportunity to meet and converse with people from all over the country. A cross section of the middle class, don’t expect Donald Trump to show up, working people who take the opportunity to get away from the hustle and bustle of their everyday life.

This is what Escondida is all about.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Rented several rooms, including the owner's suite, for family and guests attending a wedding at a nearby ranch. It was the perfect choice--comfortable rooms, wonderful dinner and breakfasts, in a beautiful locale. The out-of-state guests were particularly impressed. The bride and groom were in the owner's suite which was spacious, plenty of room for the pre-wedding preparations, and the kitchen proved handy for creating some last minute additions for the wedding reception buffet. The staff couldn't have been warmer or more helpful. Made for a perfect weekend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We went for a delayed anniversary and had a remarkable weekend. This was our first time there and we were welcomed as if we were family. The treatment we received made for such a memorable experience. Check in was so easy and painless. We were in room #5 and the room was fantastic, the fireplace was very romantic. The staff were so nice and helpful. They were able to work with us on a family member making a late reservation and they were in room #8 with a balcony from which they were able to watch wildlife. My wife had a pedicure that she really enjoyed and the spa staff was very pleasant. The food was outstanding. The ladies doing the cooking and serving were so friendly and accommodating, they made us feel very special. We will be going back, many time hopefully. I plan on this being our special place for anniversaries for years to come.

Room Tip: Call and discuss the available rooms. All are great and each has its own special perks and ambiance...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Escondida Resort? Share your experiences!