“Wonderful place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Escondida Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Medina
Escondida Resort
You added Escondida Resort to your Saves list
23670 State Highway 16 North, Medina, TX 78055   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medina
Sunnyvale, Texas, United States
“Wonderful place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Just returned from 3 nights at this absolutely wonderful hide a way. Bob Phillips is right! The hard part is leaving. The place was beautiful, well kept and service/food was unbelieveable. It is difficult to describe the visit without using all the adjectives over and over. We enjoyed meeting all the other visitors ( the place was full-all 22 rooms) but enjoyed most the hospitality of Dawn and Pam. We took side trips to the surrounding area, but would be content just to stay on the property and relax.

We will return.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great. Of course, the owner's suite would be the best.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We chose Escondida Resort as our location for our annual weekend getaway. This place is absolutely wonderful. The location is beautiful; the rooms are beautifully furnished; the food is fantastic! Pam & Dawn were fabulous hosts - they made the weekend very enjoyable. They are warm and friendly and were the icing on the cake for our trip! We have decided to make Escondida our location for our trip each year. An awesome find!!

Room Tip: There are only 10 rooms - and each room has a different benefit - from patios to view of the hills a...
Round Rock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I just returned from my first visit to Escondida but it won't be my last! I went with two friends and we had a great time. We did not have any spa services but we did hike the hill to go to the cabin on the land after returning from a day in Bandera. It's a bit of a steep climb at one point but well worth the effort when you see the view from the top. It was so much fun to gather with all of the other guests (it was a full house - I believe there were 21 total) at meal times and catch up on what everyone had done.

We arrived Friday evening and left after breakfast on Sunday morning so we were there for two dinners and two breakfasts. The meals are not served in a 'restaurant' but basically in the dining room of a home. So, you do not have choices or place an order - you eat what is served. I am a very picky eater so I had brought my own snacks in case I didn't like what was offered but all of the meals were completely delicious. It was like eating at my mom's house - delicious lasagne one night, chicken enchiladas the next. For breakfast, there offered scrambled eggs, watermelon, strawberries, yogurt and granola both days. The other main course one day was biscuits and sausage gravy and the other day was cinnamon rolls. We did not go hungry, that's certain!

The rooms were fantastic. The beds were very comfortable as was the recliner in the room. There is wi-fi access but no cell phone coverage which was actually one of the best benefits. There are tvs and dvd players if you want to hang out in the room but the scenery is so fantastic it's much better to hang out on the patio or out by the pool.

We had a great group staying with us. Everyone was really friendly and we enjoyed getting to know everyone's stories at dinners and breakfasts. And Dawn and Pam really made the stay special. Not only did they provide excellent service, they were fun to talk with, told us the history of the place and gave us some great suggestions on things to do. Before we left, we peeked around at all the different rooms to determine which ones we would request on our next visit! I can't wait to go back.

Hamilton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Just returned from spending weekend at this great resort. Accommodations were great. Rooms were very roomy and nicely furnished. All of the staff were very friendly and outgoing and enjoyed great meals. For a relaxing getaway, this is THE place to go.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and the room was great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Angelo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

What a wonderful suprise it was when I arrived at Escondida! It was just at dusk and the lights were on all around. I walked into the courtyard where the fountain was gently flowing and my body literally relaxed. The quiet was fabulous. It was like coming home in that moment. I stayed 3 glorious nights and enjoyed every minute of it. I had just about every treatment offered at the spa, and loved them all. I have to say the best part of the trip was the people of Escondida. I shudder to call them employees, because they were much more than that! They were family. It was a very close nit group. My every whim was seen to with the utmost courtesy and even eagerness! ( I know you don't believe it, in this day and age: truly I didn't either). And the food was magnificent!!! I mean Banana's foster and eggs benedict for breakfast!!! They offer breakfast and supper with the package and you can get lunch if you request it when you book your stay. They will also cater to special diets if they are informed ahead of time I was told. Although I went alone, it was certainly a couples get away. They were full over the weekend, but I hardly ran into anyone. You could meet up for meals and then enjoy your solitude. The rooms were exquisite. Honestly I did not know I had neighbors. I will be going back!! In fact I am planning on making it an annual event at the very least.
Cudos to you Christy and to all your staff.

Room Tip: Rooms were all large and quiet, but for a large area book the owners suite
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Huffman, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I've stayed three times at the Escondida. Twice while on motorcycle trips to the Hill Country and once on a nice summer weekend with my wife. On the latter occasion, we rented the owner's suite, which is expensive, but we thought was worth every penny. Don't think this place is something fancy. However, it is very comfortable. We have never had a meal here we didn't enjoy. I like the "happy hour", where you will enjoy visiting with some of the other couples. Since this place has only 10 or 12 rooms, you'll never feel crowded. I've seen as few as seven folks and maybe as many as fifteen there at one time. We usually end up making some new friends each visit. The meals are always filling, and the rooms are comfortable. We'll definitely be going back.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get the owner's suite. Lots more room and a nice hot tub outside. Nice k...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Flower Mound, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

After reading what mostly seemed like positive reviews, my husband and I booked two nights at Escondido last week. The photos on the website looked great and it seemed like the perfect Hill Country getaway for us. Unfortunately, we were quite disappointed. The entire place needs a lot of work and it wouldn't be too costly to address some of the issues. We're all for natural surroundings and love the overall look they're trying to achieve, but so much neglect was apparent from the moment we drove through the gate. We immediately got that sinking feeling you get when you know you're about to be hugely disappointed. We quickly realized the photos were either very old or enhanced to make it appear much nicer than it was.

Our first encounter upon check-in was finding out that our spa session had been rescheduled the next day without any call or notice, just that "someone had cancelled, so they moved us up three hours". Luckily we were able to change it to an earlier appointment so we could proceed with our plans to go shopping in Fredericksburg for the day, but it seemed to be a big inconvenience for them. In fact, I'm fairly sure they moved someone else to accommodate our issue with the change. Not good business.

As mentioned in other reviews, the meals were just okay. The manager told us as she served our food (main dish, salad, bread, all on one plate), that the chef had quit, so she took over and just searched the internet for recipes, which is fine, unless you're advertising that you serve "chef-prepared meals". Some of the meals were good, but still not up to the standards they're charging you for. The awkwardness of the dining room was what bothered us more than anything. No music, in a very simply decorated room with little warmth or personality. We could actually hear the other guests chewing their food, which was really strange. There were speakers in the room, so I'm not sure why they weren't being used, unless they too were broken. It would have made the whole experience a lot more relaxing.

The one thing they did get right is the spa. We kept hearing from other guests what a great experience they had, and we were not disappointed. It was a nice, clean building and the staff were very well trained.

We don't consider ourselves picky people, but when you charge $280 per night for a room with a two-night minimum, there are certain standards you should provide for guests spending that kind of money. So much potential here, and I hope they eventually invest enough to make it the beautiful, special place it could be.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Escondida Resort? Share your experiences!