“The Personal Touch” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Escondida Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Medina
Escondida Resort
You added Escondida Resort to your Saves list
23670 State Highway 16 North, Medina, TX 78055   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medina
Dallas, Texas
“The Personal Touch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Ecsondida Resort and Spa is the perfect destination for a get away with that personal touch !!! Spa retreat , family reunions, romantic hideaways or just time to decompress from the hectic life outside the beautiful Hill Country acreage w/ wildlife grazing, guests are treated with a personal touch. A small and intimate resort allows everyone's wants/ needs to be met. Girls, go spend a weekend being pampered and doing nothing if that's what you choose or shop in any of the close towns ( Medina, Kerrvile & Fredricksberg ). We had my mom's 90th birthday with all the family and she was treated by staff and other guests as Queen for the weekend !!! A memory forever !!! I have since traveled to Escondida with friends and just a quiet , spa weekend for me.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have gas log fireplaces which is always romantic. Book the owner's suite if yo...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

This place has some really great potential to be a fabulous little boutique style hotel. Despite some of the negative reviews I found here, I was really looking forward to staying here and I arrived with an open-mind.

First, the good:

- the location is great......surrounding area is hilly and quite pretty, the road/highway leading up to the place is also quite curvy and scenic which I really liked
- we stayed in one of the king rooms on the first floor facing the front of the property; the room was clean and the bathroom/shower area was also clean; the bed was comfortable; the view was great
- some people commented that the pool or hot tub outside was dirty --- when I was there, I looked at both and they both looked clean and kept up; the hot tub was running/working although it was cold out so no one was using it, same with the pool

The not-so-good:
- service level is not what it should be; starting from the moment we arrived, i walked into the office/front desk and the manager, Dawn, didnt even look up to greet us, I said hello and just stood there waiting for eye contact or a response....after a few seconds we finally get a hello and a "sorry, I'm just trying to finish this up" referring to paperwork -- so fine, I thought, no big deal, she must be having a busy day and left it at that.

Found it strange that Dawn is the manager, cook and the housekeeper. I had read that on TripAdvisor but thought that maybe the reviewer had just gone on a day that possibly other Escondida staff members had called in sick or out, but as it turns out, there is one person running the whole thing.

- Dinner: served in the dining room; there is no menu to pick from; Dawn cooked the dinner which consisted of fish, rice, asparagus, and a simple salad -- all tasted good but not great. There were only 3 other couples and we all sat in this really akward silence --- one couple later described the ambiance as similar to sitting in the waiting room of a doctor's office. A suggestion: add some window treatments or a rug -- needs some fabric to absorb noise and not make it so echo-y....that would add a welcoming warmth to the dining room. Maybe even a plant in the room or a flower on each of the 4 small dining tables -- doesnt have to be expensive just something.

- Breakfast: we were served 2 large slices of french toast with a caramel sauce; since the portion was large, I told Dawn that I would be okay with just one slice to which she replied "Oh, but you are getting 2. I've already made them, you dont have to eat it if you dont want to" --- gee thanks. One of the ladies asked if instead of the heavy caramel sauce she could have butter -- she was told "nope, sorry, our butter is frozen". I had a slice of the french toast, which did taste good, but my stomach did not like it -- was sick for the rest of the day.

Basically as far as meals go, prepare to be treated like a child by a stern parent -- attitude of "this is what I made, and if you dont like it, tough!"

Other notes about this place:
- hiking trail --- i was not able to hike up because it was muddy from all the rain;
- spa - had a couple of treatments; 2 staff members at the spa; spa is closed on Sunday's. The spa staff was nice and friendly.

Overall, I'm not sure if I would go back --- maybe we went during the "off season" -- but we are not likely to return, especially not for 2 nights unless the staff was different. Not everyone has the right type of personality needed for hospitality. I dont believe the manager was trying to be rude, but her personality is coarse and not what you would expect from someone running a place like what this is trying to be -- such a shame too, because this place could be amazing.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Weatherford, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

My wife and I decided some time back we wanted to go somewhere quiet and romantic. We hit the nail on the head on this one Dawn and the staff were great. They pampered us from the time we got there till the time we left. Our room was fine and the food was way more than we were expecting. It was more like something you would expect from some fine restaurant. The weather was rainy the entire time we were there, but if you are from Texas ,no one complains about rain these days. In spite of the wet weather we still had a great time. One thing that is for certain you do get peace and quiet while you are there. If you are a party animal save your money go to a bar. This is a place for those who are truly looking for peace and quiet.We took full advantage of the spa and it was great as well.

Room Tip: Our upstairs room also had a balcony.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

We decided to do a last-minute getaway for the Columbus Day weekend, and a little online research led me to Escondida. We were looking to relax by the pool and get a massage, and Escondida offered exactly what we wanted. The lack of cell phone and internet access turned out to add to the atmosphere of relaxation.

Our room was large and comfortable, and the Saltillo tile in the bathroom was beautiful. We had a great view from our room, and we able to see small herds of deer walking across the grounds.

The level of service was exactly right--neither too much nor too little. We were mostly left alone, but we could always find someone when we needed something. The other guests were friendly, and we had very pleasant conversations with several of them. Most of them had come to Escondida because they had seen it advertised on The Texas Country Reporter (which I had never even heard of).

Breakfast and dinner were provided, and the meals were all excellent. The couple massage we received at the spa was wonderful, and we enjoying lolling by the pool during the day. We also took strolls on the property's grounds. We never felt the need to leave the property, so we just relaxed and had a great time.

Your experience at Escondida will depend largely on you. If you are looking to unwind, relax and go with the flow, this is the place for you. But if you are looking to party and get loud, you probably won't enjoy it. No alcohol is sold on the premises, but you are allowed to bring your own (we brought wine, which we kept in our room's refrigerator). There is also no restaurant on the property. The chef prepares one meal for everyone. Some people have complained on this site about that fact, but the food is very good. Special accommodations can be made if you tell them in advance.

The bottom line: We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend at Escondida. We have recommended it to all our friends, and we look forward to going back soon.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bryan, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I made reservations for the "romantic package" for my fiancé and I for Friday and Saturday and added a third day, Sunday, to round out the weekend. The staff, Dawn, Liz, Jo and Christie were so accomodating and the meals, made from scratch, surpassed the finest eateries in the state. The rooms were clean, the beds out of this world, the hot tub and pool exceptionally clean and well maintained, the spa and massage surpassed all of my expectations, the trail to the cabin on top of the mountain was well marked and the view could only be compared to a mountain top chalet in the Swiss Alps. I commend Mr. Phillips and his entire staff for the fine hospitality, meals, sincere concern for each guest and the knowledge they provided us for the most pleasant stay I and my fiancé have ever had. You don't need to travel outside of Texas for 1st class pampering, just make reservations at Escondida Resort and for that special "someone" make the "romantic package" a prority. We are already planning for next year. Thank you once again.

Jeff Landskroener
Danielle Benjamin

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms at this resort.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Orange, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

For a private and quiet weekend, it was just what we wanted. The Escondida sits in the beautiful box canyon which provides a home for wildlife and a buffer to the outside world for guests. Our room was clean and comfortable but it needed some maintenance attention; squeaky ceiling fans, cracked tiles, and old towels. I think this resort could be better understood if it was called a bed and breakfast. 2 meals are served daily, except for Sunday no dinner is prepared. Those meals are preplanned and are served at prescribed times. If you don't care for this type of schedule, then you will be unhappy with the Escondida. The menu is pretty basic, but the food was tasty. A suggestion to improve this service would be to add choices of salad dressings and sauces for vegetables. My husband left the evening meal hungry each night. We did enjoy our time here, but it is not a 4 star resort like the website insinuated.

• Stayed September 2011
Kennedale, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

My husband and I went there for the weekend. We arrived 4 hours early, but they still allowed us to check in early. Food was wonderful. If you are not aware which we were, there is not a menu with a variety of choices for dinner and breakfast. But even without the choices the food was excellent. The portions were large, the food was homemade right down to the desert. The room was clean, staff was helpful. We had a couples massage which was great, we hiked up Medina Mountain and spent time at the pool. The pool was not full of leaves, but the hot tub was covered, because no one was using it. I was leary of this trip because of the most recent reviews, but we did not have any bad experiences. It is peaceful and quiet. So if you are looking for a weekend to relax and disconnect from your present reality this it a great place to start. We will go back again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Medina
Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center
Flying L Guest Ranch
Flying L Guest Ranch
#12 of 22 in Bandera
4.0 of 5 stars 52 reviews

Been to Escondida Resort? Share your experiences!