While the rest of Greece sits watching its once proud credit rating slide into oblivion, one hotel at least stands ready to buck the trend and prove that the Greeks still know how to deliver a luxury hotel experience.
After arrival in Athens we travelled from the airport to Vouliagmeni to check into the Astir Palace, Arion resort and spa prior to boarding a cruise ship the following day.
The trip through Athens by road left me wondering where I might be able to attain some anti depression medication, as the impact of the GFC was clear to see. I thought we had landed in Lebanon by mistake!! - Thank goodness we were staying in a hotel on the Athenium Peninsula, which was like arriving on another planet although only minutes from the doom and gloom of "beautiful" down town Athens.
Sweeping palacial foyers and friendly staff greeted us on our arrival, following which we were offered a cool refreshment on a vast verandah overlooking the sprawling 75 acres which constitute the resorts property. Down below we could see the beaches and the beautiful colour of the ocean of the Saronic gulf. A light warm breeze smooched gently against our our skins as we sat sipping happily on our cocktails and taking in the views.
Soon after, we headed up to our Grand Deluxe room to freshen up and change. The room was lovely and it had a large balcony overlooking the ocean. All of the amenities that you would expect from a 5 star hotel were available in the room, which had a generous bath, shower, twin basins as well as a very comfy King size bed and plenty of room to swing a Cat if required.
After freshen up we headed down to the beach. The resort has a large bar and restaurant on the beach as well as ample sitting areas and sun lounges. If you are feeling energetic, water skiing, jet skiing and a host of other summer activites are available right from the beachfront.
As the sun set in a Purple haze we sat sipping yet more coktails on the boardwalk by the beach prior to eating at the resorts restaurant nearby. Staff were excellent and the food was good.
The Athenium Riviera is a much more pallatable venue to stay at if you are travelling to Athens than in the city as it is very sophisticated and relaxed in addition to oozing luxury and comfort. Being only minutes from the city it is also a very convenient location.
Breakfast the next morning was out on yet another sweeping balcony overlooking the ocean ( inside seats also available) and the breakfast fare was vast and enjoyable. Friendly efficient staff were always around to assist.
This resort is ideal for couples wanting some romance action in the sun or for families who wish to bring rug rats and spoil the mood for those couples by deploying their 2 year old search and destroy offspring into the beach area. Whilst there, it looked like there was a lot more romance action afoot than screaming vermin destroying the tranquility. - However, warning ! percentages subject to change without notice.
If you are heading to Athens for a stay, this place is definately a better option than the morbid depression that a trip into the city will afford you. - Don't do it to yourself!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A unique place to be!The legendary atmosphere of Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa is enhanced by contemporary surroundings and spectacular views of the Saronic Gulf. Guest rooms and suites delight the senses with creative touches. The most distinctive feature, the resort's fully renovated bungalows, offer the ultimate in privacy and privileged services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Expedia and Jetsetter so you can book your Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arion, a Luxury Collection Hotel Vouliagmeni
- Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort And Spa
- The Luxury Collection Athens
- Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Greece/Vouliagmeni