“Honeymoon Destination...” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
london
“Honeymoon Destination...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

The best part of our honeymoon was definitely our stay in Vouliagmeni.

Our travel agent insisted we booked at The Margi & it proved she was absolutely right.

The view from our room was fantastic, although we spent most of our time being lazy drinking margaritas & eating sushi on the beds by the pool.

Vasil is the greatest concierge; he booked us a top table in the hard-to-get-in club-restaurant “Island” on a Friday night!! (Although a bit pricey it was totally worth it)

One word of advice; avoid the centre of Athens on hot summer day

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

I stayed with my girlfriend for a long weekend and there is not much to say really... To be fair and square though I have a lot to say and mostly good things, but I still have that cosy feeling that the environment and service The Margi offered us. When everything goes well and you are fully satisfied from your stay one word can easily come out of your mouth... "just perfect".
We never liked or wanted to stay in one of those large, anonymous and characterless hotels where style is neglected and service reminds you of programmed androids. At The Margi our expectations were fulfilled. We were happily surprised by the "humanity" of service; kind faces (with a pinch of discreet humour) welcomed us and helped us to embrace into the hotel's environment as if we were clients for years now. As an architect I started looking around and noticed how much weight the management has put to the detailing, from the warm and stylish lobby, to the carefully selected pieces of furniture and the atmospheric lighting. Moving up to the room, I didn't expect to be disappointed. The room was spacious following the hotel's general character being cosy, stylish, quiet and with a view........ which would be unfair for the view to be described on a few words.
The pool area with "Malabar" was the spot where we spent most of our time during our stay, enjoying our cocktails and fine finger food surrounded by people of our age. The restaurant by the pool for something more formal (as we preferred Malabar’s low tables and big pillows for our light dinners), was very good as well with gourmet dishes and desserts being the highlight but with a room of improvement.
Overall we spent a great weekend which left us warm, calm, relaxed feelings and smiles at our faces. What else could we want? I recommend it to everyone as an honest, stylish and cosy boutique hotel and I will definitely visit it again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Watford. Herts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

I stayed at the Margi with my girlfriend for three nights at the end of May and did not think it lived up to its five-star status. A brusque check-in led to a first floor room overlooking the pool with minimal privacy (a 'nice room' according to the dour receptionist).

The room was so-so but nothing special. We have paid much less for far better rooms in other European hotels. The Margi may be in an appealing section of South Athens but it leans more to corporate than boutique. The rooms need a good clean and refurb and some serious attention to detail before they should even begin to use the 'b' word.

A 50 Euro afternoon meal of two starters and a few drinks continued the over-priced theme.

The following morning we discovered that our pricey room rate (booked with expedia), did not include breakfast. This was not explained at check-in and lost in the small print. When questioned about this the receptionist was very defensive and argumentative until a phone call (presumably from an eavesdropping colleague) changed her tune.

We managed to move into a more secluded slightly larger room, after complaining about the location - no-one asked us if we were happy with our original room. We don't expect hotels to fall over themselves but for the price we paid we expected at least a modicum of interest. Keeping the wedding parties that populated the hotel sweet, seemed to be the Margi's main priorities.

On the plus side (there were one or two!) the Malabar Lounge around the swimming pool in the evenings is very atmospheric and worth a visit if you are in the area. Shame we can't say the same about the hotel itself.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

I usually read reviews here on tripadvisor and never write my own ones. This time though i told the people i met there that i would write a review as a small gesture on their super service. The hotel is lovely (one of the best boutique hotels i ve ever been), elite small hotel with an awesome atmosphere especially on weekend nights (and thursday was our favorite) on their pool bar called Malabar which transforms to the best lounge i ve been in years (in europe).
Nonetheless, the best thing at this hotel is the service. The valet was opening all 4 doors of our car, extremelly polite ( not at all alligned with the rest of the country), service at the restaurant and bar was awesome, especially the bartenders and the coctail waitresses. Not great for business i guess since its a little far out the center (although we saw many people there on conferences) but ideal for leasure since its only half a mile away from the best beach (astir) and some of the best restaurants athens has to offer. (we visited the new Nobu which is 5 mins away and it was breathtaking)
I ve been in Athens a few times in the past always with a group of people (guys and gals) and always disliked the service everywhere from cabdrivers to restaurants and hotels. This place was certainly an Oassis in the desert of Greece.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Nova Scotia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

We booked this hotel through a travel agent in Athens for four nights at the end of our Greece trip. The first room (207) was horrible....carpet was dirty, furniture old and tired, balcony dirty, bathroom in need of refurbishing. After a call to try to cancel the rest of our stay (which we couldn't do because we booked through a travel agent who allowed no refund/no cancellation...we found out too late), the hotel reception person offered to upgrade us to the executive floor. The next morning we moved, and upon entering the room (305), the bell boy commented on the strong smell. It was a smell of new carpet and draperies, but he thought we should move, so he called reception and had us upgraded again to the next floor (405). Since this room was not ready, we left our things in 207 and went out for the day. Our things were in 405, as promised, when we returned. Upon a check of this room, we discovered that food had been left in the fridge from former guests. Called to have someone correct this, and while waiting for them to arrive, discovered a foam ear plug in the bed! Another call brought housekeeping to completely change the bedding. The balcony flooring could use a good cleaning and the railing of the balcony was full of bird droppings so you could not even put a hand on it. The bathroom shower area was very dated and was not a greta setup as water poured all over the floor when you used it. The bathroom could use a good cleaning as well....someone needs to get in the corners and clean!

We had a great view of the sea from our balcony.

The common areas were beautiful, the elevators quaint, breakfast (included) was very good and plentiful with lots of variety. Front desk staff was very friendly, and despite our issues were very approachable and helpful.

For a hotel of this class, I was surprised at the fee for internet access in your room, but in common areas on public laptops, it was free, so not a huge deal for us.

We asked for a corkscrew, but could not have one in our room, so each night we had to call room service and have someone come up to open our wine. This is a strange policy and very inconvenient for us.

One evening, we just wished to have pizza in our room but could not find a phone book. A check with the front desk informed us that delivery to the hotel was forbidden..ughhhh!

The hotel is about a 20 minute easy walk to Lake Vouliagmeni (great way to spend a few hours), and also close to Astir Beach (free the day we were there). It is a 20 - 30 minute cab ride to Athens center (traffic pending), between 17 - 30 Euro, so not great if you plan to spend a lot of time in Athens center.

Pool area was beautiful, bar area great. Setting and ambiance was wonderful!

I would stay here again, although only in an upgraded room.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

I have just spent 4 nights at the Margi. Right off, let me say that it was booked for me by a client with their recommendation. It started well, with an upgrade to their "executive" room. I'm not sure what the difference is over standard, but I'm sure glad they upgraded me.

Firstly, the carpets leading up to the room were, to say the least dirty and really needing replacing. Next, I have never seen such narrow door ways leading into a room. Minor point, but annoying when you are trying to negotiate through them with your luggage.

The carpets cleanliness didn't get better inside either... in fact, I would say they were worse. Having said that, the room was clean, including the bathroom, sheets, towels etc. The bathroom, was dated and in need of refurbishment, but I guess the whole hotel would be in that category.

I had a nice view from my balcony of the pool area and out to the bay. The public area down stairs was ok. The restaurant/bar was nice and on the one occasion I did have a snack there, I would say the quality was fine. Breakfast in a separate room was adequate, with the usual fare of cold meats, cheeses, fruits, and a rather dismal "hot" buffet which looked like it might have been cooked the night before and kept warm.

I still can't get used to people smoking in restaurants either, but I guess this is a local custom rather than a hotel policy.

So, overall, I'm glad I was on business, and out most of the time as I wouldn't want to have spent a week by the sea at this hotel. In fairness though, it might have seemed a better place in summer when the place was full of people around the pool and it had more atmosphere - but I doubt it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Rome
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

The hotel is really nice and the common areas extremely well decorated, especially at night when the staff lights a lot of candles all over the place, in particular in the pool area that becomes a very nice bar. Our rooms were quite large and nicely decorated (although not as trendy as the exteriors) and had a balcony overlooking the pool. One bad thing: carpet was not the cleanest. The place is only few minutes walking from the beach of Vouligameni and in general you can easily reach Athens and the other places of interest in the Attica region by car. Breakfast was extremely good. Downsides: the staff was not particularly attentive. On a couple of occasions we had to wait for around 30 minutes for someone to come to us to take the order. On another occasion we asked recetion for a corkscrew because we bought a very nice bottle of wine and they said that they were using them all so they could not give it to us. Now, I understand that they want you to have drinks in their premises, but a guest is always a guest and a hotel that wants to be classified as a luxury accommodation cannot give such answers. Also considering that we already had lunch and drinks there several times. A part from that it is definitely a good place.

Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple

Been to The Margi? Share your experiences!