“Clean and somewhere to rest your head, not to leisure” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oceanis Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glyfada
Oceanis Hotel
You added Oceanis Hotel to your Saves list
25 Lampraki St., Glyfada, Athens 16674, Greece   |
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Glyfada
Canada
“Clean and somewhere to rest your head, not to leisure”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

I stayed at Hotel Oceanis while traveling with EF tours. It was the first time I have traveled to europe and I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

The lobby is quite clean and the staff is very welcoming. There is an elevator, but it's only a one person elevator, something I never seen. You eat in the basement which is catered and the food is very basic, chicken and rice usually for supper.

The rooms were not what I am used to, nothing like the Delta or hotels in Canada. I'm not sure if it was just to accompany the tours for the price,but the rooms consisted of four cots literally right across the room with no room to walk. The tub was very very small for a very small bathroom altogether. There are few english channels on the television but there is air conditioning! Next to the hotel is a vacant building with no walls and quite a bit of garbage, not a good few from the right side of the hotel, but the neighborhood seemed pretty good. The hotel does not match the virtual tour shown for the hotel at all.

I would recommend the hotel for someone who is only staying there to rest there head at night and be gone all day, not for leisure and for someone who is looking for a reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2010

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

Having been to many European hotels I was very happy with this one. The location is just blocks from either a public or private beach, the street car which will take you down to the heart of Athens in 30 minutes for $1.00, the food was good, and the rooms had AC that actually made it cold! The staff was very helpful and friendly as long as you weren't an obnoxious American. Just show basic common courtesy and it all goes well. Glyfada is a newer section of Athens and it has a very active night life, especially on Fridays. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Did I mention it had great AC ;) Seriously, the best I have experienced in many years of European travel. The only goofy thing is you need to figure out the remote control for the AC unit, but the desk is happy to help there too.

And don't plan on using the pool. It was drained and dirty as I think that is there way of cutting back during the Greek financial crisis. Not sure, but we really didn't miss it with the beach so close.

• Stayed July 2010
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

I went on an EF tour with a group of teens. I was really concerned after reading the reviews but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. This hotel is clearly part of the "cost saving" concept of the tours. With than in mind, the positives of the hotel were:
1. Great location 2. Mostly other teens so we didn't disturb too many people 3. Clean rooms
The negatives were: 1. The balcony doors did not lock, there was a latch on the door but it could be lifted by sliding a credit card between the door and the jam. 2. Our room (I shared with another parent) was above the patio where the staff took smoke breaks so the room stunk. I understand that nobody else in our group experienced the same issue. 3. The food was attrocious. You should make sure to budget for decent food which is available very near the hotel. 4. The balconies were only divided from each other by fabric "flags" which the children quickly discovered they could climb around. Not a big deal if you are a family or a couple but if you are an adult trying to monitor a group of teens you really wish there was only one way into and out of each room :)

Boston, Mass.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

After reading the atrocious reviews about the Oceanis on the site; I must say that I traveled with a bit of trepidation. Being someone who works in the travel industry, and oftentimes has to defend the vendors that my company works with, I was confident in my company's judgment; but slightly nervous nonetheless and interested to see how these terrible reviews might've affected our customers preconceptions of the hotel; I also couldn't wait to see the place for myself. Upon arrival, I immediately loved the location of the hotel. It is right near a ton of shopping, restaurants, cafes- really anything you need. And the best part- 2 blocks from the Aegean Sea! The hotel staff was pleasant and helpful, our rooms were much more spacious than my other travel experiences within Europe, the bathroom was clean and actually very roomy, and meals were catered by an outside company- portions were humongous! My favorite was the roasted chicken (always has been, always will be...can't get enough of the stuff); we had 0 repeat meals during our 5 night stay. I have zero complaints about the Oceanis and definitely recommend it to those not looking to spend a ton, but want to be clean, safe and comfortable.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Bennington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

I am surprised at the negative reviews from guests who apparently stayed at the Oceanis just prior to us. I found the hotel quite good . The rooms were large and airy, the shower and bathroom clean and somewhat larger than most we have experienced. The food was reasonably good, with some variety as well - no meal was repeated in the 5 nights we stayed. Malinka, at the front desk, was a gem - always helpful, and a delightfully good sense of humor. Recommended without hesitation.

Hoosick Falls, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

We had read the bad reviews of the Oceanis and expressed our concern to our Greek guide. He was surprised and said that the hotel was actually quite good. We arrived and found that the interior was clean and welcoming. The rooms,complete with balconies, were spacious and clean as well. The location is in an upscale area with designer shops and great restaurants, and the hotel is seconds from the bus and tram lines.
We had to stay an extra three days, and we were all pleased; the breakfasts were decent and the dinners were good.
The desk clerks were polite and friendly - we had a lot of fun with Malinka who had a great sense of humor.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Bennington, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

I was worried after reading these reviews, but I had no reason to be.
I just returned from what was supposed to be a one night stay here before flying home that turned into a four night stay due to the volcanic ash problem. I had no problems whatsoever staying in this hotel for an extra 3 nights.
I went into this expecting an European hotel room and that is what I got. Yes, the walls are really thin and you can hear your neighbors, especially in the bathroom like people already mentioned. However, I stayed in two different hotels in London and Germany the month before for business (where my company was paying probably three times the rate of this hotel) and they were both small rooms with small beds and small bathrooms and small showers (all by American standards). Yes, the elevator is small - just like the other hotel in Germany that I stayed in. This is all just really minor stuff to me at least - I'm on vacation on the coast of Greece with beautiful beaches within easy walking distance in a town I felt completely safe walking around in by myself. We couldn't even find a souvenir type shop in that neighborhood - it was all finer shopping places. Yes, there is grafitti everywhere (although not on this hotel) but that was all over Greece every where we looked. I was with a group of thirteen teenagers and twenty six other adults and all of us felt completely safe and were happy with this hotel.
As for the balcony, neighbors could get to ours if they tried hard enough. They were some plastic dividers to separate the room's balconies but these could be pushed aside easily enough. However, we did have a lock on the balcony sliding door (that stayed locked of course) with vents and we tested that people couldn't get in (students got locked out of their rooms). There was also a glass door as well as a curtain that could be closed.
The lock on the room door seemed fine to me. I couldn't get in when I didn't have my key and tried to. No, there isn't a chain or a deadbolt but I didn't feel that we needed one.
We were on the 3rd floor and it really wasn't a problem to take the stairs. Pop the suitcases in the elevator for arrival and departure, push the button and voila.
This room was actually bigger and better than the hotel we stayed at for three nights before the cruise part of our trip (Hotel Galaxy right across from the ocean (via six lane road) heading into Glyfada region). I'll post a review of that hotel if I can find a listing for it and that one would not be so nice (no toliet seat, electricity went out in daughter's room on last day, leaks in the lounge, part of ceiling ripped right out where leaks were by our last day there, awful food,etc).
As for the food, we got a typical European "continental" type breakfast. Our kids were educated going into this trip that they were not going to get meals and especially breakfasts like they were used to at home. They always had at least one option for cereal. There was always toast and some other form of bread, pound cake, etc. Always what I thought of as cold cuts and sliced cheese. Yes, it got old after a while but you get what you pay for. I was glad they were providing us with some sort of breakfast at all. This hotel also offered a "coffee machine" more like what we would see in the States - with buttons for cappe, coffee, hot cocoa, tea, etc. Our dinners at this hotel were very good - comparable to when I ate out at restaurants in the area. We always had bread, a vegetable, some form of meat or vegetarian dish available and some small dessert. I am a fussy eater and I had no problem with any of the dinners we received (lamb one night, roasted chicken leg and thigh another, pasta another).
I am more than happy to answer any further questions. As I said, I was worried about staying in a fleabag motel and I was very pleasantly surprised. You get what you pay for - they have all the basics covered but without the frills that I guess some people think should be standard.

• Stayed April 2010

Been to Oceanis Hotel? Share your experiences!