Having read some of the reviews of The Grand Resort Lagonissi on this site I nearly didn't book. Thankfully I have learned to ignore posters who appear to travel the world in 12 star luxury and compare everything to some mythical ideal. I booked a standard room with a sea view as the larger rooms and bungalows were outside my budget.
It was a short 3 day relaxing break added to the end of a business trip to Athens and took 25 minutes by taxi from the centre of the city (set price €40). As you approach the resort you are treated to views of the coast and the brilliant blue sea but nothing prepares you for what is to come!
You enter the self contained resort through a security gate where you experience the first of the truly exceptional customer service. The gatekeeper asks for your name and you pass through to the central reception building where you are met by the manager and staff who make you welcome and explain the geography and facilities. As I was checking in the desk manager told me that I was to receive a 'little upgrade' !
A staff driven buggy took us through beautiful gardens to our room which turned out to be a large suite with high quality furniture and every luxury that I could think of.....lovely soft king sized electric bed, armchairs, tables, mini bar, huge TV, six wardrobes with automatic lighting, large balcony overlooking our private beach with rattan chairs and a coffee table (the views of the sunset over the Aegean Sea were breathtaking!), free fruit and wine, and then we found the bathroom!!!! Jacuzzi, shower/steam room/sauna, twin sinks and 2 TV's..one above the bath and a small one in the toilet! There was even a pro quality treadmill, exercise bench and weights but we didn't have the time or energy to use them.
The decor is high quality, grey slate floors and dark wood furniture with everything working and spotlessly clean. The maids came twice a day and everything was freshened and cleaned.
We ate at several of the resort restaurants, Captain's House, Mediterranean and Polynesian as well as a sumptuous buffet breakfast in the main building. Staff driven buggies drive you everywhere if you don't feel like walking, all you need to do is call reception and they arrive seconds later. The standard of food was high, we particularly enjoyed the sushi at the Polynesian restaurant but they were all good with great service and views.
We spent an idyllic 3 days, swimming in the warm, clear waters and diving around the rocks fascinated by the fish feeding just metres from the private beach. Bedding on the sun loungers was changed every morning and the beach kept clean. We made full use of the umbrella as it was very hot in July!!
Now, let me just make a few things clear to anyone thinking of booking at the Lagonissi. It is not in Central Athens and it doesn't claim to be! It's about 20 miles south of the city. It is set on an exclusive peninsular not in a coastal town, if you want shops and dozens of restaurants selling cheap ouzo and kebabs, it is not for you. It is exclusive and high quality which is reflected in the price.
Obviously, I got a great deal and will have to save up to have the same room when we visit again (and we will!). I payed €400 a night but it was worth every cent. If you want a quiet, luxurious retreat to rest and recharge your batteries, this is the place. Idyllic!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Resort Lagonissi welcomes you to enjoy a seafront paradise, set on a 72-acre verdant peninsula. Boasting twenty exclusive sandy beach coves and lush natural beauty the resort is nestled in a magnificent private peninsula offering breathtaking sunsets and views to inspire.The resort provides endless choices of luxurious accommodations, all on the waterfront with direct access to sandy beaches or to the sea. Deluxe rooms with stunning sea views, bungalows with private pools, suites with gym quarters and villas with private spa areas, compose the Grand Resort’s luxurious scenery. The latest in comfort of technology pervade every single room combined with sleek interiors creating an ambiance of residential charm and unparalleled beauty. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Grand Resort Lagonissi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Resort Lagonissi Hotel Lagonisi
- Grand Hotel Lagonissi
- Grand Hotel Lagonisi
- Grand Resort Lagonissi Greece/Lagonisi