“Great service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Youth Hostel Los Amigos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Flores
Youth Hostel Los Amigos
You added Youth Hostel Los Amigos to your Saves list
Calle Central (Next to Pro-Peten), 1 Block From the Central Park, Flores, Guatemala   |
Ranked #3 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Flores
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cusco, Peru
“Great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Have stayed here for a week now and I must say the staff are very helpful, the beds are clean (dorm), and you meet a lot of nice people. If you want to meet people and have a good time in a nice atmosphere this is a place to visit. Last night they had a BBQ, good fun but if you want to sleep - no problem - at 10 pm the regular bar close down and the soundproof bar in the backyard opens. You won't hear it as that's it's purpose: Give the people who want to socialize that option and the ones who wants to turn in early can do that as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Calamba, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

At the hour we arrived we wernt able to look around and got stuck here.
I had bed-----bugs and there were dog hairs on sofas, i dont know why there were fold out sofa beds but the foam looks like it was moldy. It was rainy season when we were there so the bathrooms kept on flooding so when we were showering muck was around our feet and splashed around.
If you ask for the cheapest place to have you then get a dorm that dont even have proper walls and have sheets hanging.

One saving grace but not really much was that the food was good... it should be coz its so expensive anyway.
The health shake was the only thing i liked so thats why i will rate this place a 2.
WIll never sleep there again.

Room Tip: pick a private room.. this place might be bearable then.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Caye Caulker, Belize
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

This is the worst hostel I have ever been to. The owners clearly are only focused on making money and their greed has led to many problems in my eyes. The property is small especially consider the fact that they "can" house around 50 people but should not as cramming people into small places has caused their problems in the first place. Needless to say all those people sharing bathrooms led to a blocked up system and [--] literally flowing through the hostel "garden/veranda" area. The smell of the place was putrid, staff were completely disorganized and could not handle the sheer overcrowded nature of the place. Stay somewhere else.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Stay - 2 weeks

Positive - friendly staff, Tab system for ease of payment, clean and beautiful, close to Tikal, cheap beds, lockers with electronic sockets, hammocks

Negative - cold shower, very slow and expensive restaurant, no kitchen, slow Internet, only three toilets and showers, really expensive bar with no outside alcohol allowed

• Stayed December 2012
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Unfortunately we ended up stuck at this hostel a bit too long for my liking due to the fact that I came down with bacteria/an amoeba which saw me sick as a dog for about a week so i had plenty of time to get know this place a little too well.

Here are the positives:
- Great location
- Chris, the dude from Boston, who worked evenings was super helpful and an awesome dude.
- Massive selection of vegetarian items on the hostel cafe menu
- Huge hostel if you like socializing
- Large private rooms
- When I got sick they gave me a packet of re-hydration stuff to drink
- When i asked for a blanket they gave me one

Here are the negatives:
- Our room wasn't clean on arrival. The bathroom and floor was particularly dirty.
- There was no cleaning or emptying of trash in our room for the entire time we were there (almost a week)
- The water pressure in the shower was non-existent so we showered under a trickle of water (at least it was hot)
- This is just nit-picking but there was nowhere in the shower to put your soap or shampoo so you had to leave it all on ground.
- There were no racks for towels so it was super hard to dry them out. We luckily had a clothes line with us.
- In the café, there’s a very blasé attitude about the non-smoking rule. Meaning that while the joint is covered in no-smoking signs, everyone is puffing away like a chimney and ashtrays are actually provided! I even saw a staff member or an owner smoking behind the bar. This made it very difficult for me to enjoy any meal as people were smoking breakfast, lunch and dinner. When we asked about this we were told, “it’s Guatemala, anything goes” but having travelled and eaten in many places in Guatemala I know this is total rubbish and it wouldn't fly elsewhere.
- I’m 99.9% certain the hostel cafe is where I got sick as bacterial infections usually take 48 hours to ferment in your guts before absolutely killing you. My boyfriend and I always share our meals and the one thing we didn't share was a salad I ate from the café and roughly 48 hours later I was on my deathbed.
- There was a very unfriendly clique atmosphere going on in this place and it’s rare that I don’t make new friends in hostels, but maybe that’s because everyone here was smoking in all the communal spots so it wasn't enjoyable to hang out if you don’t smoke.
- The layout of this place isn’t the best and there are swings and hammocks right in the middle of heavily trafficked walkways.
- The owners have a number of pet dogs and on numerous occasions we narrowly missed stepping in dog poo in the communal areas.

All in all, I would never go back to this place. If you’re a 20-odd-year-old smoker who wants to spend your trip partying then I’m sure you won’t care about the above negatives and absolutely love this place. However, 30-something-year-old, non-smoker me hated it. I was so stoked when we got to leave.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This place is awesome, you can meet so many fantastic people ! Good base to visit Tikal, and awesome base to go swimming in the lake ! Don't miss the upstairs bar "La Papaya Maya". Bed are comfortable, the only problem is people getting up at 3 am to see the sunrise tour... Showers are totally ok, and even if there's no hot water, the water is not cold, about the same temperature as the lake, which is perfect to cool down when it's really hot outside ! This is good place to relax and go swimming every day, don't stay only 1 night just to go to Tikal ! 5 nights weren't enough for me, but I had a flight to catch :( Special thanks to the staff who return me the camera I forgot at the hostel when I left, they put it on the next bus to Guatemala City and I got it back just before my flight :) Hasta luego Los Amigos !!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Los amigos for two nights while doing Tikal. It was nice, very easy to find and get to other places from here. It is a bit more of party place, so if you are looking for quiet and relaxing may not be best option. I shared the dorm, private rooms are available which would probably help. Food is good, rooms are inexpensive, there is a bar in the hostel however so be forewarned for late night party's! The staff was great, very helpful and lots of affordable tours available leaving from Los amigos!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Youth Hostel Los Amigos? Share your experiences!